ESPN: KCP re-signs with Lakers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
He has to break out of the one bad play, one good play cycle and drastically improve his shot selection.

Other than jumping passing lanes, his defense has been worse than advertised also.

Not a fan of his game personally, but maybe he finally starts to get it this year.

I read that quickly and said to myself, finally starts this year??? Then I re-read it.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject:

The teams not named the Lakers who would have given KCP $12M last year and $16M this year all have something in common. They do not exist.
rock0100
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
The teams not named the Lakers who would have given KCP $12M last year and $16M this year all have something in common. They do not exist.

$8 million per is about $3 million too high. I would have preferred using the money on Morris but we really did need guards.

Also, whether we choose to acknowledge it or not, his agent got us Anthony Davis.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject:

rock0100 wrote:
ocho wrote:

$8 million per is about $3 million too high. I would have preferred using the money on Morris but we really did need guards.

Also, whether we choose to acknowledge it or not, his agent got us Anthony Davis.

I think anything over the minimum is an overpay for him. And sweet Jesus how many bloated contracts do we have to give KCP as a favor to Rich Paul? Enough is enough.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject:

this guy just got a bonus in his contract and no-trade clause
rock0100
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
rock0100 wrote:
ocho wrote:

I think anything over the minimum is an overpay for him. And sweet Jesus how many bloated contracts do we have to give KCP as a favor to Rich Paul? Enough is enough.

He is working his way up to being the most powerful agent in basketball. Not a bad guy to have a great relationship with.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject:

The no trade clause is automatic for a one-year deal, based on what I read. And his is considered a one-year deal because there's a player option on Year 2.
Mike D
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject:

PayasoLoco wrote:
this guy just got a bonus in his contract and no-trade clause

He gets the NTC due to the CBA.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject:

triplepurple
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject: Eeeeeww

He's awful. Laughbale what we paid him last year. Laughable again this year.
kobe8One
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5P1gMsnF8g

This is why Lakers paid him$18m+$12m and now $16m/2 years Yikes!!!!
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Welp, welcome back, KCP!

Hero Ball wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5P1gMsnF8g

Let's hope we only see this version going forward!

Also, it would be nice if commentators didn't insist on saying his full name when he scores... KCP will do, lol.
gh20
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject:

Be honest guys,

He was awful under Luke, he may not be the brightest, but he has a skill set, he moves OK without the ball and is a decent shooter and defender. He gambles alot on defense but he is low maintenance and versatile. I think he will fit much better under Vogel. He had no consistency with Luke, Luke's rotations were terrible and KCP seems to be much better when he has a known role and consistency with minutes. Josh Hart taking his minutes last year really threw him off at the start of the season and he seemed to recover some near the end just like he did the previous year. He needs a defined role that does not constantly change. He may not be worth 8 mil but I don't think Bullock was worth 10. I think he may play better knowing that he has a 2 year deal this year. I love that everyone is on a 2 year deal, I think consistency will help and buy in will be better.
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:47 pm    Post subject:

rock0100 wrote:
ocho wrote:

They already had Daniel and Green. Now Bradley, and maybe Korver available off the waiver. KCP at 8M would be the 4th highest paid. It's really hard to defend.

I wonder what role KCP played in the signing of LBJ. We know a player can say what ever he wants to his agent or another player. On the other hand when Pelinka talked about Paul George with Mintz whose clients include Randle and Russell who were Lakers players at that time, it was tampering and Pelinka was fined. So what if a team executive tells a player to deliver specific messages to his agent or another player? Would that be tampering?

This is pure speculation, and probably no evidence exists even if it did happen. Probably nobody cares either because tampering is investigated only when a team complains to the league office. I just wonder why a player was signed three times in three years while the lower and lower price tag clearly indicates he was not worth the salary.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject:

LaxT wrote:
So what if a team executive tells a player to deliver specific messages to his agent or another player? Would that be tampering?

My guess is if the league actually found evidence this happened they would consider it tampering.

But that's a guess, since there has been no known situation like this. The tampering statute is broad and the league has a lot of leeway in declaring a team tampered.
toffee
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:34 pm    Post subject:

Welcome back KCP, maybe i'm in minority here, but i think that he will be huge for us next season.
Needmedoingthis
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:59 am    Post subject:

There is a really weird narrative surrounding KCP. 2 years 16 million is a nice deal in the current market... KCP is a knockdown shooter (when on) and a solid defender. He will hit many big shots this year wide open.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:08 am    Post subject:

Needmedoingthis wrote:
There is a really weird narrative surrounding KCP. 2 years 16 million is a nice deal in the current market... KCP is a knockdown shooter (when on) and a solid defender. He will hit many big shots this year wide open.

Shooters should be able to knock down shots consistently. If he is good, he would have got offers like Green. So far, I haven’t heard any other teams that have shown interest on him this summer. Will be great if you can find any rumour on that
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject:

lol its so funny how critical people are of this random guy. its crazy funny.
acer77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject:

Would rather have used his money to sign Korver and Linsanity. As far as I'm concerned Pope's skillz are better utilized as the team towel boy.
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:08 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
LaxT wrote:
So what if a team executive tells a player to deliver specific messages to his agent or another player? Would that be tampering?

My guess is if the league actually found evidence this happened they would consider it tampering.

But that's a guess, since there has been no known situation like this. The tampering statute is broad and the league has a lot of leeway in declaring a team tampered.

Just read these two articles. Very good inside information of how it works.

I read elsewhere that the league does not consider it tampering once the soon-to-be FA ends his season. For example, the Lakers might have "private talks" with Dudley's camp after the Nets' season ended.

You are probably right that evidence is the key when it comes to players still under contract.

If KCP had helped recruit LBJ and/or AD, his contracts cover his "contribution" off court.

Quote:

https://hoopshype.com/2019/07/08/nba-executives-give-behind-the-scenes-look-at-free-agency-this-is-a-year-round-recruitment/

Teams and agents aren’t supposed to communicate until June 30, but the executives confirmed that there are always conversations happening behind the scenes. The NBA does punish teams if there’s obvious tampering (such as public comments about a player), but the league typically looks the other way when it comes to private talks.

Eastern Conference executive: “We’re technically not supposed to talk until a certain point – June 30 this year – but we’re talking about this stuff all year through intermediaries. [b]That’s part of what makes these weeks leading up to July 1 so exhausting. You don’t just show up with a bag of money. [b]This is a year-round recruitment.
Former assistant general manager Bobby Marks: “A lot of the free-agency legwork gets done during the week of the NBA Draft Combine in May. There are a lot of meetings between teams and agents to discuss draft prospects, but the free agents will come up throughout the course of the conversation too. There aren’t any agreements being made, but you’re letting the agent know, ‘Hey, we have interest in Player X.’ You’re setting the stage. I think you have to start [free-agency discussions] before June 30. If you wait until June 30, you’re going to be so far behind. As long as you aren’t blatantly [tampering], there are ways you can go about it and the league will look in a different direction. There’s not much the league can do about it. It’s not like the NBA can start tapping phones (laughs).
Eastern Conference executive: “June 30 was always one of my least favorite days of the year; I’m so happy that the NBA moved the time up. Like I said, we talk to the agents year-round and chat a lot in the days leading up to July 1 anyway, even though we aren’t supposed to talk. We are just waiting and waiting and waiting until we can finally do our deals. If you want to jump in early, you have the deal ready to be completed on July 1. It just depends on whether you want to strike early or not. You have to know when to be aggressive and when to be patient.”

Quote:

https://hoopshype.com/2018/06/27/how-nba-agents-prepare-for-free-agency/
Agent 4: “Things absolutely get done before July 1. Absolutely. It honestly starts in Chicago during the NBA Draft Combine. That’s a good opportunity to start talking to teams because everyone is in the same place and you’re talking in person, so there’s no paper trail. That’s where people really start talking free agency, to be honest.”

Agent 6: “If you want to talk about jumping the gun before July 1 and breaking NBA rules, there was one team I won’t name that sent me an early offer in writing over text. This happened in the last few years. Most teams are at least smart enough to only do things by phone so there’s no real record of it. Doing it over text message is just so dumb and risky. I could’ve screenshot it! I obviously wouldn’t, but it’s still stupid! Maybe that’s more common than I think, but that was surprising to me.”
Agent 2: “I think fans would be surprised to learn that everything starts way before free agency. You’re having a lot of conversations with general managers [before July 1]. The talks begin early, especially the conversations about your client possibly re-signing with the team they’re currently on. ....

Agent 6:.... With stakes that high, I can assure you that negotiations start before July 1 all the time. Sometimes, the GM will reach out to the player, but that doesn’t happen very often. Players, on the other hand, talk all the time. If a player delivers the message, teams can sort of circumvent the rules.”
Agent 10: “I think there are a lot of deals that get done before [July 1]. If they aren’t done, I think they’re 80 percent done. Teams are obviously cautious now because of the tampering rules and all that, but players and teams know when there might be some mutual interest.”

Agent 12: “I wouldn’t say that 80 percent of the work is done before July 1. I think that’s an exaggeration. But I would say that about 50 percent of the deal is done for certain players before July 1. I think that’s an accurate assessment.”

Agent 13: “Although free agency officially starts July 1, fluid communication with teams is an ongoing process.”
Agent 7: “I would say most deals are done before July 1. I 100 percent agree with that. Or, if they aren’t done, oftentimes both sides have started working on the deal before July 1.”
Agent 5: “I think before July 1 it’s more about gauging interest from teams, and front offices are discussing things internally. I don’t think, externally, most teams start negotiating before July 1. Oftentimes, they don’t want to reveal their hand until free agency begins. Also, the market usually sets the value for a lot of players, so agreeing to a deal with a non-max player that early doesn’t seem smart. Maybe it depends on the player or the agent’s relationship with the team, but I haven’t seen much of that.”

Agent 8: “I’ve never had a deal done before July 1, but every team talks before July 1. Every team talks beforehand. You’re setting up meetings before July 1 since that’s the date you’re starting to meet teams. Everyone talks money and years beforehand. Everyone talks contract terms, but I’ve never completely agreed to a deal before July 1. You almost have to talk to teams before July 1. In the first three-to-five days of free agency, you have the opportunity to get the biggest deal. That’s when your guy could get fair value or even overpaid, if you want to use that term. Then, in days four-to-seven, you’re hoping to get decent value on your deal. Anything after that, you’re just fighting for whatever money is left and you’re likely getting underpaid. That’s when guys start looking at one-year, prove-it deals so they can hit free agency again the following summer. If you don’t strike early, your player is screwed.”
Agent 4: “Like NBA teams leading up to the draft, we have a big board of players in our office. It lists all the free agents, where guys may go, team needs and things like that. We’re gathering as much information as possible. We’re trying to find out which teams are interested. They aren’t supposed to flat-out tell you, but they hint that they’re interested.”

Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject:

He's young, works hard, is a decent shooters, and makes some bone-headed mistakes now and then... I think he's LG's whipping boy. He isn't as bad as people say IMO. He's probably our best defender to chase people around screens. Last year it was mostly him and Hart but Hart fouled too much on close outs. Last year's team had too many holes due to roster construction and injuries, I expect him to make less mistakes because he will have a more defined role this year.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject:

Super Mega Team wrote:
He's young, works hard, is a decent shooters, and makes some bone-headed mistakes now and then... I think he's LG's whipping boy. He isn't as bad as people say IMO. He's probably our best defender to chase people around screens. Last year it was mostly him and Hart but Hart fouled too much on close outs. Last year's team had too many holes due to roster construction and injuries, I expect him to make less mistakes because he will have a more defined role this year.

He's almost like a guard version of Javale. Does well, but does enough noticeable mistakes that keeps fans down on them. The major difference is that McGee is getting a bit underpaid, while KCP is getting overpaid--overpaid for the last 3 seasons in a row. F'ing Klutch.
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Super Mega Team wrote:

He's almost like a guard version of Javale. Does well, but does enough noticeable mistakes that keeps fans down on them. The major difference is that McGee is getting a bit underpaid, while KCP is getting overpaid--overpaid for the last 3 seasons in a row. F'ing Klutch.

Agree he is overpaid and you're on the money with McGee too. I think he's a great role player big on the right contract. We can only hope KCP is a better shooter this year and a bit smarter due to experience. The best we can hope for is he plays really well and we sell him high for a player more like ROCO.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject:

Super Mega Team wrote:
epak wrote:
Super Mega Team wrote:

Agree he is overpaid and you're on the money with McGee too. I think he's a great role player big on the right contract. We can only hope KCP is a better shooter this year and a bit smarter due to experience. The best we can hope for is he plays really well and we sell him high for a player more like ROCO.
nailed!

Only difference now is that JaVale is trending upward; with KCP it's wait & see. Hopefully he has a better year than last season.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: