Quasi-Official BOOGIE COUSINS Thread (Charges Dropped)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 67, 68, 69  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:59 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
pio2u wrote:
defense wrote:
lakurluv wrote:
Defense in general is pretty much non-existent in the game! The problem in today's game is that offensively everyone wants to camp on the perimeter and because of that players normally aren't playing end-to-end but more like free throw line to free throw line.
Boogie's poor conditioning and inability to get up and down the floor defensively will more than likely continue to be a challenge for the Lakers.

However if he can solidify his role at the "5" and guard the opposing teams center in the low post, it may not be to overly exposed.

Against a player like Embiid, he may be exposed because Embiid likes to shoot threes from the perimeter and Boogie won't be able to guard him out there. When teams go to small ball with Boogie on the floor we will definitely be at a disadvantage.

I"m hoping our small ball lineup with AD at the five is the perfect counter to this problem.

Boogie won't win defensive player of the year, but I think he will make the adjustment and be solid enough for us defensively in the paint!

Go Lakers!

Raptors just won the title with defense

Their winning has an asterisk attached IMO. They benefited from multiple key injuries. It happens every few years and the Raptors were in position to take advantage to their credit. But they benefitted none the less.

But the premise of the Lakers defense this season is more important. The season will be defined by how hard they work at it and how they come together as a team.

Multiple players have to buy-in and sacrifice. We will see if they can consistently do it. Because other teams can and will next season. If the Lakers want to be contending they will need to embrace that same effort and culture.

I hope I am wrong about how Cousins will fit for this team. I am thrilled to see the stories of him losing weight and preparing for the season. Also just read a story of Davis being excited to be teammates again. Some positive comments about how they get along and expect to play together.

Hope Cousins surprises me this season.

IF Boogie can stay healthy this season, IMO, he should be able to average nearly a double-double per game.

Would not surprise me if he can play the mpg. Last year he was 16/9 at 26mpg. He plays that 25-30mpg the stats will come. Offense is not my issue with him except his tendency to get out of control at times. I would hope this team could keep that in check and hold him accountable to the team efficiency.

My concern is the defensive end. He needs to play much more disciplined and focused. We will see how much mobility he can get back with another offseason of rehab and training. He plays solid defense and this team has potential.

Also may have to reconsider my thoughts on Cousins being a better fit off the bench. Some Davis comments about his excitement of reuniting with Cousins and potential on court chemistry seem really promising.

As much as Cousins annoys the hell out of me I might have to keep an open mind of his potential contributions this season.

He will be challenged defensively, every game, due to injury, mobility & conditioning. It will come down to effort.

Fortunately he & AD are real close and he respects LBJ so we should be in good shape attitude wise. Of course the jury is still out due to health concerns.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:

I have never liked Cousins attitude either. It remains a concern.

What is that attitude exactly? By all accounts that I am aware of he's been nothing but a good teammate on his last two teams.

You are surprised by any concerns with his attitude? Young man has had ongoing issues with being a lockerroom disruption, work ethic and general pain in the ass for coaches since high school. The anecdotal stories are out there. You can do your own research.

Perhaps he cleaned that up last year as he was a side note as he rehabbed. Or perhaps it was just lost in the chaos of the Warriors season. But you are right, he did have a decent year from a inside the lockerroom standpoint to my memory too.

Although I do count his 7 techs in 30 games a negative for the team. But that is just me.

I disagree. Vocal players - especially the Black ones - are often termed as "lockerroom disruptions," especially when they have bad coaches or are in bad organizations!

Boogie was great, according to his teammates, even in Sacto. The Kings were a horrible organization and Cousins' called them out. Yes, he's a hot head, but I don't see that as a bad thing when so many players are laissez faire and obviously don't care about anything but a check.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
RG73 wrote:

What is that attitude exactly? By all accounts that I am aware of he's been nothing but a good teammate on his last two teams.

You are surprised by any concerns with his attitude? Young man has had ongoing issues with being a lockerroom disruption, work ethic and general pain in the ass for coaches since high school. The anecdotal stories are out there. You can do your own research.

Perhaps he cleaned that up last year as he was a side note as he rehabbed. Or perhaps it was just lost in the chaos of the Warriors season. But you are right, he did have a decent year from a inside the lockerroom standpoint to my memory too.

Although I do count his 7 techs in 30 games a negative for the team. But that is just me.

I disagree. Vocal players - especially the Black ones - are often termed as "lockerroom disruptions," especially when they have bad coaches or are in bad organizations!

Boogie was great, according to his teammates, even in Sacto. The Kings were a horrible organization and Cousins' called them out. Yes, he's a hot head, but I don't see that as a bad thing when so many players are laissez faire and obviously don't care about anything but a check.

yep if he was white theyd say fiery competitor, player who loves the game and wears emotion on his sleeve.

BTW cousin will play like a max player this year. Hope we can retain him somehow next year
scottpot29
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
https://youtu.be/Rs4_dGE1S-Y?t=1

Got to admit, this got me excited for the possibilities. One more year back from his injury will mean more confidence. Also being able to condition this offseason which he could not at all before last year.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject:

scottpot29 wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
https://youtu.be/Rs4_dGE1S-Y?t=1

Got to admit, this got me excited for the possibilities. One more year back from his injury will mean more confidence. Also being able to condition this offseason which he could not at all before last year.

And every other season of his career.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
RG73 wrote:

If you are seeing color of skin in my comments that is on you and your world view.

IMO disruptions to team chemistry are disruptions to team chemistry, no matter what the color of the skin. I would be just as concerned if the Lakers signed/drafted a "emotional" dickhead like Grayson Allen.

As with most things sports related. Winning smooths over a lot of issues. Sac was a bad organization he was a distraction, Warriors won and he wasn't. Same attitude and actions just different perceptions. Even a beloved knucklehead like Artest wore out his usefulness when his hot head antics outweighed his effectiveness. Cousins is on that line for me. I'm trying to like his signing, I really am.

If Cousins can keep his fiery competitive spirit in check... fine. But all too often in his career he lets it control his actions. Leading to bad shot selection, bad fouls, bad TO's. Including in the Finals last year at times.

When his contributions on offense become minimized due to erratic play it takes away the reason to play him. Because he is certainly not on the floor for his defense.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject:

I've been watching a ton of his highlights before and after the injury for his entire career and to me he physically looks like the same player. The quad tear slowed him down and takes 4-12 months to fully recover but he already looked to be mostly over the achilles injury. He was never athletic so it kind of always looked like he was playing injured even with the Kings and Pelicans but he is largely the same player off the dribble with his handles and shiftiness. You can see that he lost some vertical explosion but it honestly isn't much (wasn't much to begin with) and that was never his game. I might be wearing my homer glasses but I think he can be as good as he ever was. DeMarcus Cousins was the biggest steal of free agency.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject:

I had the same observation. The transition the player has to make after an achilles tear is to go from jumping off of one leg to jumping off of two legs. That’s the reason Dominique Wilkins had such a quick recovery, he was already a two legged jumper. You see Demarcus Cousins in the highlights jumping off two legs to finish his post moves and off the dribble. Now that he’s in-shape (conditioning), he may regain his all-nba form this season.
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject:

At one moment in season this can be one of the best moves in the entire FA market this summer. For 3.5 mil you can have potentially 20+10 player.
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject:

My concerns for Cousins for our team isn’t about stuff inside the locker room.

Without even talking about his injuries and if he can recovery from those (which in itself are HUGE question marks), my concern is in the 4th quarter of a close game, when there is a foul called on him. He doesn’t control his emotions on the court well.

He will get T’s at the wrong times, he will go at it with other players. He will force things. He will take bad shots, he will turn the ball over. He will let little things get into his head. At least that’s what he has done as a basketball player since college.

That’s my primary concern (outside of his mobility on defense)
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject:

In terms of "options", where are people ranking Cousins?

Personally, I think he'll have a hard time eclipsing Green in FGA's, probably Kuzma as well.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Let this sink in: we got DeMarcus Cousins for 3.5M and if he shows the ability to get back to his former level we will be adding another all star player to our line up.

This is a very exciting time to be a Laker fan.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject:

Players don’t get back to their former selves after Achilles tears. That includes players who have kept themselves in top shape. It’s hard to believe that a guy who has been fat and out of shape most of his career will break that mold. If he can give us 75 games and 15 minutes off the bench while not giving back more than he gets we will be fine.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Cousins is this year's Brook. One year deal that turns into a nice payday if he plays well. Not sure the full MLE gets it done if he does well, but it's in striking distance. Davis may be invested in finding a way to keep him longer term.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Cousins is this year's Brook. One year deal that turns into a nice payday if he plays well. Not sure the full MLE gets it done if he does well, but it's in striking distance. Davis may be invested in finding a way to keep him longer term.

I think his friendship with Davis is the primary reason why the Lakers signed him to begin with.
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject:

I just think boogie is way underrated by several here
He is a beast
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Players don’t get back to their former selves after Achilles tears. That includes players who have kept themselves in top shape. It’s hard to believe that a guy who has been fat and out of shape most of his career will break that mold. If he can give us 75 games and 15 minutes off the bench while not giving back more than he gets we will be fine.

Which Achilles examples are you referring to? Durant suffered a Achilles tear and just got a hefty contract, it is obvious to everyone with a brain that players can still perform at a high level even with Achilles tears. especially since there are more new methods in treating ACL tears in the modern NBA. Cousins is only 28 and looks REALLY motivated.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject:

Every NBA player who has torn his Achilles is the list. Durant will be added to it once he returns.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

When you take the time to watch the tape and use your own judgement, I think it's clear that this has become more of a trope than a valid argument.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Rubin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Every NBA player who has torn his Achilles is the list. Durant will be added to it once he returns.

Cousins at even 65% of his peak Kings or lone Pelicans season would be tremendous value at his contract. And FWIW, he looks significantly slimmer this summer. I don’t think I’ve ever actually seen his jawline before his Lakers interviews this summer
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject:

I love the DeMarcus Cousins signing.

I can't wait for the season to start. TBH I think the Lakers can end up throwing out an unconventional offense that I'm not sure *a ton* (there are a few that can) of teams can match up with with so much being perimeter based now.

Anthony Davis, DeMarcus Cousins, and LeBron James (obviously) can all handle the ball very well for their size. They can all play inside and outside. I was watching some clips when DeMarcus and AD were on the Pelicans and sometimes one of the two would bring the ball up the court and make a play for the other.

You could have a lineup with LeBron James, Anthony Davis, and DeMarcus Cousins as the primary ball handlers / play initiators. Theres so many things those three can do. I mean, maybe not full-time.. but for some stretches of the game that'd make the lack of a "star point guard" a little easier to handle.

Idk. If everyone stays healthy.. This Laker team is a tough team to beat.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject:

Rubin wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Cousins at even 65% of his peak Kings or lone Pelicans season would be tremendous value at his contract. And FWIW, he looks significantly slimmer this summer. I don’t think I’ve ever actually seen his jawline before his Lakers interviews this summer

As I said, 12 good backup minutes for 70-75 games where he doesn’t give up more than he gets is all we need.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject:

The guy is gonna beast on the boards. That's a given. And it's a huge +.
If he passes well on the perimeter and sets solid screens, he'll at least help us win enough regular season games to get us home court advantage for a couple series in the playoffs.

His pick and roll defense will likely be a problem in the playoffs though. Hopefully our coaches can help mitigate the issue.
youcantguardme
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject:

I think that this was a fantastic move.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 67, 68, 69  Next
Page 27 of 69
Jump to: