AVERY BRADLEY (2.0)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 60, 61, 62  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:

size -> lakers
athleticism -> clippers
experience > lakers
youth -> clippers
3p shooting -> lakers
defense -> clippers

overall pretty much reflects the teams overall

Let's break that down (using the depth chart from RealGM):

Bradley (2X All-D) vs Beverley (2X All-D): EVEN (AB coming off injury but 3 yrs younger than Bev)
Green (1X All-D) vs Shamet: LAKERS/GREEN
LeBron (6X All-D) vs Kawhi (5X All-D): CLIPPERS/KAWHI
Davis (3X All-D) vs PG (4X All-D): LAKERS/DAVIS (PG cannot handle AD in the post)
McGee vs Zubac: LAKERS/MCGEE

Looking at the benches:

LAKERS: D39 will be a plus defender, Caruso and KCP will have their moments.

CLIPPERS:Harrell and Harkless are energy/hustle guys, but not lockdown defenders. Lou Will can't guard me and I'm 56 years old.

So, I could see giving the Clippers a moderate edge on perimeter defense and the Lakers a big edge on interior defense. If you factor in rebounding as the final piece of defense, I think the Lakers may actually get the nod.

i do not believe pg13 will be playing pf
i have no idea why those sites did that
particularly not against ad who would wear him down

about bev at 31, i think he is the surer bet this year against bradley
after that, probably at least even or slight adv for bradley
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject:

Lakers vs Clippers comes down to how much help the Clippers need to give on AD and Lebron. If they can contain those guys (to a certain degree) without help, allowing each of them get to 25-30 points, but without help, it means they can go with the attitude we are shutting down your supporting cast, that is a cast who basically need AD and Lebron to create shots for them. I think Kawhi will be able to match up with Lebron. PG, Kawhi, and some bigs will try to deal with AD. I would again guess they first would try to play AD straight up.

If they feel they can do decently that way, they then have the talent to shut down the rest of the Lakers.

In this scenario, the Lakers will need one of two things.

1) AD will need to become dominant. He has to go for 40, 45. He has to force the doubles. If he can not, then we need #2 bad.

2) Kuzma has to come in and be the game changer. He is the guy that can create for himself and without needing Lebron/AD to spoon feed him baskets. In this scenario, he has to become very aggressive.

At first glance one would think AD would be able to feast on the Clippers in a weak help scenario. And if the help came, then the supporting cast would get open looks and we have the play finishers for that. I would guess that the Clippers try to dare AD to beat them. I think they will not respect AD as much and feel they can get into his head and also be able to expose his lack of experience at that level. AD has never been dominant and won a championship in the playoffs. Until he does, this will be where the teams don't show him that respect. He will need to step up. The mismatch is there, he has to take it. AD can not be Pau like which is where his natural level is. He has to step up a level above Pau in terms of aggression. I do not want to say Shaq, but he has to be dominant. Certainly he is a far more aggressive scorer than Pau, but in the preseason games I have seen him, I see some weaknesses in his game on offense that I think an elite D would expose.

Obviously so much can happen from now until the playoffs in terms of roster moves, so we do not know the entire situation. I certainly would love it if we could get a 15 points a night type of shot creating guard, because I think teams with good defense will dare the AD to beat them by himself. I do not think they will leave the Lakers shooters open, because teams tend to lean towards being beat 1 on 1 vs open 3 point shots nowadays.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Lakers vs Clippers comes down to how much help the Clippers need to give on AD and Lebron. If they can contain those guys (to a certain degree) without help, allowing each of them get to 25-30 points, but without help, it means they can go with the attitude we are shutting down your supporting cast, that is a cast who basically need AD and Lebron to create shots for them. I think Kawhi will be able to match up with Lebron. PG, Kawhi, and some bigs will try to deal with AD. I would again guess they first would try to play AD straight up.

If they feel they can do decently that way, they then have the talent to shut down the rest of the Lakers.

1) AD will need to become dominant. He has to go for 40, 45. He has to force the doubles. If he can not, then we need #2 bad.

2) Kuzma has to come in and be the game changer. He is the guy that can create for himself and without needing Lebron/AD to spoon feed him baskets. In this scenario, he has to become very aggressive.

At first glance one would think AD would be able to feast on the Clippers in a weak help scenario. And if the help came, then the supporting cast would get open looks and we have the play finishers for that. I would guess that the Clippers try to dare AD to beat them. I think they will not respect AD as much and feel they can get into his head and also be able to expose his lack of experience at that level. AD has never been dominant and won a championship in the playoffs. Until he does, this will be where the teams don't show him that respect. He will need to step up. The mismatch is there, he has to take it.

Obviously so much can happen from now until the playoffs in terms of roster moves, so we do not know the entire situation. I certainly would love it if we could get a 15 points a night type of shot creating guard, because I think teams with good defense will dare the AD to beat them by himself. I do not think they will leave the Lakers shooters open, because teams tend to lean towards being beat 1 on 1 vs open 3 point shots nowadays.

1 - I expect AD to be a top-3 scorer in the league and would not be surprised to see him hit 30 ppg, even in a load management scenario.

2 - KL may slow LBJ as a scorer - as he did Giannis - but not as a facilitator. If the Clippers' best defender is on LeBron, that frees up the other 4 guys.

3 - Kuzma is the guy who is set up to flourish when the opponents help on AD & LBJ. He's a solid slasher/finisher already. If the 3-pt shot starts falling, game over for the Clippers and for the NBA.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:

size -> lakers
athleticism -> clippers
experience > lakers
youth -> clippers
3p shooting -> lakers
defense -> clippers

Bradley (2X All-D) vs Beverley (2X All-D): EVEN (AB coming off injury but 3 yrs younger than Bev)
Davis (3X All-D) vs PG (4X All-D): LAKERS/DAVIS (PG cannot handle AD in the post)

Looking at the benches:

CLIPPERS:Harrell and Harkless are energy/hustle guys, but not lockdown defenders. Lou Will can't guard me and I'm 56 years old.

So, I could see giving the Clippers a moderate edge on perimeter defense and the Lakers a big edge on interior defense. If you factor in rebounding as the final piece of defense, I think the Lakers may actually get the nod.

When he was in Indy the coaches begged PG13 to play "PF" and he refused. Said it publicly too.

If anything, it's KL who would have to play it.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:

size -> lakers
athleticism -> clippers
experience > lakers
youth -> clippers
3p shooting -> lakers
defense -> clippers

Looking at the benches:

When he was in Indy the coaches begged PG13 to play "PF" and he refused. Said it publicly too.

I'd play Kawhi at C with Harkless and PG13 at the forward spots to close games if I were Doc Rivers. AD, Jokic, and Aldridge are the only bigs on playoff contenders who could beat up on KL down low and Leonard would feast on offense against Jokic and LMA.
Kobe_Is_King13
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

At first glance one would think AD would be able to feast on the Clippers in a weak help scenario. And if the help came, then the supporting cast would get open looks and we have the play finishers for that. I would guess that the Clippers try to dare AD to beat them. I think they will not respect AD as much and feel they can get into his head and also be able to expose his lack of experience at that level. AD has never been dominant and won a championship in the playoffs. Until he does, this will be where the teams don't show him that respect. He will need to step up. The mismatch is there, he has to take it. AD can not be Pau like which is where his natural level is. He has to step up a level above Pau in terms of aggression. I do not want to say Shaq, but he has to be dominant. Certainly he is a far more aggressive scorer than Pau, but in the preseason games I have seen him, I see some weaknesses in his game on offense that I think an elite D would expose.

I find it a bit funny when folks question whether Kuz can be a difference maker. Here we are in year 3 and all he's done is come in averaging 17ppg. If he can just do that then the Lakers are going to be very hard to beat healthy. Their biggest issues is/and will be staying healthy.

As far as the Clippers are concerned, they have the ability to match up with us better than just about anyone. Kawhi will guard LeBron, PG will guard Kuzma and Montrez Harrell will guard AD. It will be a good battle as I honestly don't know which side has an advantage.

But I think we can count on Kuzma to score at this point. He's proven to be adept at dropping buckets. He needs to improve his defense and 3Pt shooting, but he's going to be aggressive and make plays. That's just the player he is.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Kuz is better than the vaunted Green team youngsters Brown and Tatum, yet for some reason he continually gets downgraded. Kuz is the guy and I am glad he is a Laker.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:

size -> lakers
athleticism -> clippers
experience > lakers
youth -> clippers
3p shooting -> lakers
defense -> clippers

Looking at the benches:

I'd play Kawhi at C with Harkless and PG13 at the forward spots to close games if I were Doc Rivers. AD, Jokic, and Aldridge are the only bigs on playoff contenders who could beat up on KL down low and Leonard would feast on offense against Jokic and LMA.

If you're the Clippers do you really want Kawhi being tasked with defending the rim every possession as well as carrying your offense, even in short stints? I think GSW has skewed the perception of small ball. The Death Lineup is largely a defensive unit more than offensive. It only works when Draymond plays like an elite rim protector and it only works for short stints. Without that rim protection you just have an undersized guy at the 5 getting scored on every possession.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Kuz is better than the vaunted Green team youngsters Brown and Tatum, yet for some reason he continually gets downgraded. Kuz is the guy and I am glad he is a Laker.

Actually on this team, I wouldn't mind a Jaylen Brown kind of rugged defender.

The real problem is his extension would mean we can't have max space for 2021 so that's not happening.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:

size -> lakers
athleticism -> clippers
experience > lakers
youth -> clippers
3p shooting -> lakers
defense -> clippers

Looking at the benches:

If you're the Clippers do you really want Kawhi being tasked with defending the rim every possession as well as carrying your offense, even in short stints? I think GSW has skewed the perception of small ball. The Death Lineup is largely a defensive unit more than offensive. It only works when Draymond plays like an elite rim protector and it only works for short stints. Without that rim protection you just have an undersized guy at the 5 getting scored on every possession.

The point would be to switch everything like the Warriors would do with their death lineup and then play conventional bigs off the court by bombarding them with speed and shooting on the other end. And most of the WC playoff contenders use lob bigs, anyway - Utah running its offense through Gobert to "exploit" a mismatch against Kawhi or Beverley would be a win for the Clippers.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:

The real problem is his extension would mean we can't have max space for 2021 so that's not happening.

They won't have max cap space in 2021 unless Lebron takes a massive discount, no?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:

They won't have max cap space in 2021 unless Lebron takes a massive discount, no?

Right. But that means there's a possibility.

If you extend Brown/Hield at FMV, then it becomes an impossibility unless you get rid of them by 2021, which begs the question why do it?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:

Right. But that means there's a possibility.

If you extend Brown/Hield at FMV, then it becomes an impossibility unless you get rid of them by 2021, which begs the question why do it?

Because Brown and Hield will likely be better than any free agent they have a realistic chance to sign? I don't love either guy, but Danny Green isn't getting any younger and punting on the slim chance for Giannis (and Lebron opting out of $15-20M) in 2021 could piss off the one young superstar they have been able to land since Chris Paul.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:

size -> lakers
athleticism -> clippers
experience > lakers
youth -> clippers
3p shooting -> lakers
defense -> clippers

Looking at the benches:

The point would be to switch everything like the Warriors would do with their death lineup and then play conventional bigs off the court by bombarding them with speed and shooting on the other end. And most of the WC playoff contenders use lob bigs, anyway - Utah running its offense through Gobert to "exploit" a mismatch against Kawhi or Beverley would be a win for the Clippers.

I don't think this would be effective. It's not so much about Kawhi guarding Gobert or other bigs, it's about Kawhi having to guard everybody that enters the lane and increasing his workload. Whatever advantage you gain on offense you give right back because the other team is getting whatever they want in the paint against a 6'7 center that's never had to deal with the responsibility of playing center before.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
manlisten wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:

size -> lakers
athleticism -> clippers
experience > lakers
youth -> clippers
3p shooting -> lakers
defense -> clippers

Looking at the benches:

I don't think this would be effective. It's not so much about Kawhi guarding Gobert or other bigs, it's about Kawhi having to guard everybody that enters the lane and increasing his workload. Whatever advantage you gain on offense you give right back because the other team is getting whatever they want in the paint against a 6'7 center that's never had to deal with the responsibility of playing center before.

Are the Clippers playing with four Lou Williamses on the floor in your scenario?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject:

I don't think Doc will do it because Kawhi is a free agent in 2021 and is a mercurial dude. But I would bet that small lineup would kill most teams if he does ever test it out.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
manlisten wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:

size -> lakers
athleticism -> clippers
experience > lakers
youth -> clippers
3p shooting -> lakers
defense -> clippers

Looking at the benches:

Are the Clippers playing with four Lou Williamses on the floor in your scenario?

The Clipper defense is not intimidating outside of Kawhi and George. But aside from that I'm just a stout nonbeliever in undersized centers. Draymond is a 1 of 1 that you can imitate but not duplicate. I see fans of every team saying things like "we can have our own death lineup if we put (random 6'7 guy) at the 5" and it just makes my eyes roll every time.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject:

^ I get where you're coming from, I watched Julius Randle and Larry Nance play in Luke's small ball "system" for two seasons.

But Harkless and Beverley are quality defenders and Kawhi isn't just another 6'7 guy. I hope they don't add Iguodala to that group.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject:

^ I get where you're coming from, I watched Julius Randle and Larry Nance play in Luke's small ball "system" for two seasons.

But Harkless and Beverley are quality defenders and Kawhi isn't just another 6'7 guy. I hope they don't add Iguodala to that group.

Kawhi is definitely not just a guy. Under perfect circumstances I'm sure he could fulfill the Draymond role. I just don't think those circumstances exist at this point in his career.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:

Kawhi is definitely not just a guy. Under perfect circumstances I'm sure he could fulfill the Draymond role. I just don't think those circumstances exist at this point in his career.

True, we'll see if he can get back into DPOY form this season.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:

In a load management scenario, do you want Kawhi and his degenrative quadriceps having to bang in the paint with bigger, heavier dudes?

Really?
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
manlisten wrote:

In a load management scenario, do you want Kawhi and his degenrative quadriceps having to bang in the paint with bigger, heavier dudes?

Really?

I mean KL looked super gimpy in the finals last season. Not sure how well he is going to hold up long term. PG is out still from his shoulder surgeries. The Lakers know about injuries and I am not sure that the Clippers would escape this season without their 2 stars missing a lot of time.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
manlisten wrote:

Really?

Yes. Most teams would go small right quick.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject:

Kawhi's dodgy quad was brought about by chronic overuse. He'll have to manage it for the rest of his career which is why he's load managing his seasons to death. It's also why he doesn't look quite the same in finals when he has to play back to back to back to back.

Not only did Kawhi have a bad quad, but he overcompensated and had tendonitis in his good knee during the finals against the GSW.

Banging with big dudes is something he may be able to do for a game, banging with big dudes in a best of 7 finals series or throughout the whole year is a nice way to shorten Kawhi's career.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject:

I could easily see KL playing again around 60-65 games, taking off on back to backs, and extra games when playing more than 4 per week. It will be interesting to see if the Clips limit his minutes to say 30 a game as part of this whole load management thing.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 60, 61, 62  Next
Page 21 of 62
Jump to: