In the Year 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nnamdi21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject:

so if he opts in we have 35 mill or is it if he opts out we have max?
Chick's Magic Johnson
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: In the Year 2021

PostMalone24 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
In the summer of 2021, the Lakers could conceivably have 35m+ in cap space (if LBJ opts in). If he doesn't and goes the route of Tim Duncan/Dirk and takes a major paycut (not sure if he will or go full Kobe on us), we can have a max slot easily in hand.

Not sure we'll have that much. I think AD will be making $37 million by then.

When you combine him, Lebron, Kyle, Deng's payoff, and the minimum slots, that's about $97 million. Right now the NBA is forecasting the cap at $116 million for 20-21. So I think we'd have closer to $19 million.

That assumes LBJ opts in.

But you just said in your original post if LBJ opts in we'll still have 35mil in cap space

Kuz has an $8.9M cap hold and Bron, if he opts in, counts for $41M. With Deng ($5M; UGH) and AD ($36M, depends on how we extend him), we're at about $90M. I dunno what the incomplete roster charges are at that point, but that will eat up a good chunk. But, the cap should be higher than $116 (isn't that next year's?). Spotrac has it at $125. Still, unless Bron opts out, it might be tight.

I have to think Bron will be workable. He's ridiculously aware of optics. Unless he delivers 1-2 chips or still looks like a prime superstar, opting in and kneecapping the Lakers will not be good for his brand. He'll have made so much damn money by then, too, and he'll likely still be super motivated to win.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: In the Year 2021

Chick's Magic Johnson wrote:
PostMalone24 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
In the summer of 2021, the Lakers could conceivably have 35m+ in cap space (if LBJ opts in). If he doesn't and goes the route of Tim Duncan/Dirk and takes a major paycut (not sure if he will or go full Kobe on us), we can have a max slot easily in hand.

When you combine him, Lebron, Kyle, Deng's payoff, and the minimum slots, that's about $97 million. Right now the NBA is forecasting the cap at $116 million for 20-21. So I think we'd have closer to $19 million.

But you just said in your original post if LBJ opts in we'll still have 35mil in cap space

Kuz has an $8.9M cap hold and Bron, if he opts in, counts for $41M. With Deng ($5M; UGH) and AD ($36M, depends on how we extend him), we're at about $90M. I dunno what the incomplete roster charges are at that point, but that will eat up a good chunk. But, the cap should be higher than $116 (isn't that next year's?). Spotrac has it at $125. Still, unless Bron opts out, it might be tight.

I have to think Bron will be workable. He's ridiculously aware of optics. Unless he delivers 1-2 chips or still looks like a prime superstar, opting in and kneecapping the Lakers will not be good for his brand. He'll have made so much damn money by then, too, and he'll likely still be super motivated to win.

For Lakers to have a max in 2021, Lebron would need to opt-out and then take ~15m a year. That is not happening.

You'd need close to $38m in space for a max.
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
2021 FA list:

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/2021/

2021 Lakers cap book:

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/los-angeles-lakers-team-salary/

Awesome!! Thanks!
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject:

Gobert- Not worth it
Beal- Not worth it
Oladipo- Not worth it

Giannis- Worth it

Are we going keep doing this same song and dance once Giannis chooses somebody else?

activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: In the Year 2021

I question all that. When people say a star took a pay cut it usually means their contract ran out and they signed a new contract for less money. But often that isn't a matter of choice -- their team (or other teams) weren't offering them what what they made before.

Someone declining a huge option and then signing for much less is extremely rare. It's not something you expect players to do, and I doubt Lebron would get any blowback for not opting out.
Chick's Magic Johnson
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: In the Year 2021

activeverb wrote:

I question all that. When people say a star took a pay cut it usually means their contract ran out and they signed a new contract for less money. But often that isn't a matter of choice -- their team (or other teams) weren't offering them what what they made before.

Someone declining a huge option and then signing for much less is extremely rare. It's not something you expect players to do, and I doubt Lebron would get any blowback for not opting out.

I agree that applies to most people. But, let's say Bron blows an Achilles in 2021 and will be out all of 2022. Almost any other player I would expect to opt in, but Bron has made so much money over his career and is so concerned with long-term legacy, I'm betting he wouldn't. Also, what if Giannis indicates he wants to sign with the Lakers. You think Bron will say, nah eff that, and opt in and ruin the Lakers chances? I think he sacrifices to get chips.

There is definitely a chance that I'm wrong, but we're all guessing.
Japago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers can't be laser focused on just one guy anymore. They have to be willing to accept multiple guys for the max, and plan accordingly depending on who they can get.

Giannis is obviously the main target. But I think the team can still compete with AD, Beal/Oladipo(if he returns to how he played his first season in Indiana), and a LeBron who is still very effective, but has a more limited role.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject:

who have the lakers drafted and fully developed since Kobe?

that's never been our forte as a ball club.

Vancouver Fan wrote:
Remember the days when we drafted talent, developed it and signed great FAs or made trades that benefited the now and the future? With saying that, Giannis or bust in 2021 my dude.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: In the Year 2021

I agree that applies to most people. But, let's say Bron blows an Achilles in 2021 and will be out all of 2022. Almost any other player I would expect to opt in, but Bron has made so much money over his career and is so concerned with long-term legacy,

Are you kidding me? If Bron blew an Achilles, which would probably end his career, you think he would give $41 million back to the Lakers?

That would be ridiculous.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: In the Year 2021

PostMalone24 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Yeah I didn’t mean that. Long day at work.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:
who have the lakers drafted and fully developed since Kobe?

that's never been our forte as a ball club.

Vancouver Fan wrote:
Remember the days when we drafted talent, developed it and signed great FAs or made trades that benefited the now and the future? With saying that, Giannis or bust in 2021 my dude.

Yeah, I'm not sure what he's talking about.

We've always been willing to trade guys we drafted and sign older veterans as free agents when it helped us.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject:

Giannis showed serious limitation in the Toronto series. if he can develop a consistent three point game, then he's that next franchise changing guy, if not, then he's just a glorified BI.
coldzim
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: In the Year 2021

LakerMindLA wrote:
For Lakers to have a max in 2021, Lebron would need to opt-out and then take ~15m a year. That is not happening.

I disagree.

I see him accepting something like 50/3, if he knows some star is coming.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: In the Year 2021

PostMalone24 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Lebron’s cap hold if he opts out would be more like $60 mil.
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Giannis showed serious limitation in the Toronto series. if he can develop a consistent three point game, then he's that next franchise changing guy, if not, then he's just a glorified BI.

Hot take alert! Sometimes when you’re unstoppable getting to the rim and your spots, you only need to keep defenses honest.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject:

Dang already?
Can I at least enjoy the 2019-20 championship first?
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject:

Not a good FA class, if you ask me.
Mini Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: In the Year 2021

LakerMindLA wrote:
PostMalone24 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I could see him taking a big paycut for one year if it would bring in another star and help him win another championship.

Then we could reward him with one big final contract like we did for Kobe.

So something like 1yr/15m in 2021 then re-sign him for 2yrs/85m in 2022. In total it would be 3yr/100m deal.
Japago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: In the Year 2021

LakerMindLA wrote:
PostMalone24 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I think you're looking at the projected cap for 2020-2021, which is $116 million. The Lakers will be going for a max for 2021-2022, which is projected to be $125 million according to Spotrac.

Kuzma's cap hold + LeBron's contract + AD's contract + Deng's stretched dead money = about $91 million

125 - 91 = 34

So, the Lakers should have around $34 million around cap space. But, that's not counting draft picks.

I think a lot of projected future salary amounts are based off a percentage of the cap anyway. So, everybody else will be making less if the future cap is less than projected. I'm not 100% sure on that, but I think that's the case.

I think that's within range of a reasonable LeBron opt out and extension to clear up enough room for a max.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: In the Year 2021

Japago wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
PostMalone24 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I think you're looking at the projected cap for 2020-2021, which is $116 million. The Lakers will be going for a max for 2021-2022, which is projected to be $125 million according to Spotrac.

Kuzma's cap hold + LeBron's contract + AD's contract + Deng's stretched dead money = about $91 million

125 - 91 = 34

So, the Lakers should have around $34 million around cap space. But, that's not counting draft picks.

I think a lot of projected future salary amounts are based off a percentage of the cap anyway. So, everybody else will be making less if the future cap is less than projected. I'm not 100% sure on that, but I think that's the case.

I think that's within range of a reasonable LeBron opt out and extension.

You aren’t counting any roster holds which will be close to $10m.

That gets them closer to $24m in space. As I said, Lebron would need to give up $25m to give the Lakers max room.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:

Yes, but it was long before the age of one and dones, super team ups, super max contracts and players having the power to force their way out of contracts.
PostMalone24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: In the Year 2021

coldzim wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:

I disagree.

Umm no LOL,
He says he wants to play with his kid,
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Dang already?
Can I at least enjoy the 2019-20 championship first?

No epak. You're going to participate in this thread and you better damn well enjoy it.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: In the Year 2021

PostMalone24 wrote:
coldzim wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:

I disagree.

Umm no LOL,
He says he wants to play with his kid,

He could get $40M+ in one season or $50M over 3 seasons. Hmm...seems like an obvious choice.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: