Dwight Howard interested in re-joining Lakers (DWIGHT BACK TO LAKERS)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should the Lakers sign Dwight Howard?
Yes
24%
 24%  [ 65 ]
No
75%
 75%  [ 202 ]
Total Votes : 267

kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
kevin61 wrote:
Great news, he’s gonna make a lot of people eat crow

I’m a Laker fan not a single player fan. I need him to eat some Humble Pie and not screw my team over again.

Me too. I see no downside to giving him a shot. It’s a non guaranteed minimum deal, what’s the risk?
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:31 am    Post subject:

I don't see this as a bad move, especially not bad enough to moan about it. I'd much rather remain positive and hope for the best case scenario, which could work out very well for the team. Even then, the worst case scenario isn't all that bad. If he doesn't work out he's gone. Simple as that.
Palin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:50 am    Post subject:

Rodman was an headache before joining Bulls and he was 34 then. But he accepted his role there and got along with MJ and Pippen. Can D12 be our Rodman?
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject:

Were his 16.6 points and 12.5 rebounds in Charlotte two seasons ago legit or were they just empty stats?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Were his 16.6 points and 12.5 rebounds in Charlotte two seasons ago legit or were they just empty stats?

The Hornets traded Howard for a worse player on a worse contract.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:11 am    Post subject:

Win-win situation for all parties. If it doesn't work; he's nothing more than camp fodder.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject:

Palin wrote:
Rodman was an headache before joining Bulls and he was 34 then. But he accepted his role there and got along with MJ and Pippen. Can D12 be our Rodman?

I'm not confident with this happening. Rodman had barely lost a step from his prime at that age, was always willing to do thankless dirty work, and never expected any plays run for him from the very beginning of his career. I expect Dwight to be cut sometime during the season like Beasley was when he started making trouble.
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Is this the same Hornets that lost Kemba Walker and "replaced" him with Terry "7.7ppg 2.3apg = $20 Million" Rozier? Can't say Cupcake is moving any mountains over there.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Dwight does have a lot of offspring.

Just sayin'.

I hope he sons players on the other team. Don't care about the off the court stuff if he produces on the court and does what he's good at.
PinoyLBJFan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject:

welcome back #DH . Redemption time
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:
ocho wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Is this the same Hornets that lost Kemba Walker and "replaced" him with Terry "7.7ppg 2.3apg = $20 Million" Rozier? Can't say Cupcake is moving any mountains over there.

Was Mitch running the Hawks when they traded him for peanuts? Was he running the Nets when they cut him? Or the Wizards when they dumped him? The Grizzlies when they bought him out? Can't blame it on one team or exec when this many teams come to the same conclusion.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject:

I didn't want Howard... I preferred Noah but at this point he's back and it's time to accept it. Let's see what he contribute.

Best case scenario, we get a motivated player who can effectively guard other C's, will set hard screens, roll, rim run, and rebound. In that best case scenario, he accepts just being a cog in the wheel and there is no drama whatsoever.

Worst case, he very early on doesn't show proper motivation and is not worth the drama he's causing and he gets bought out with no money tied up.
ToastedMuffins
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:45 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Staccatos wrote:
ocho wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Was Mitch running the Hawks when they traded him for peanuts? Was he running the Nets when they cut him? Or the Wizards when they dumped him? The Grizzlies when they bought him out? Can't blame it on one team or exec when this many teams come to the same conclusion.

Hawks traded Howard when they decided to rebuild. They weren't trying to win which is why immediately after trading him they went from 5th in the East all the way to dead last. The whole point was to parlay him into two cheaper players, one of which they bought out to save $4.7 million overall.

Hornets traded him for a player making less salary, a pick, cash considerations, and a young prospect. They saved $12.5 million overall.

Nets cut him to save $5 million in a buyout agreement. They did the exact same with Kenneth Faried which were both moves that led to freeing up the cap space to sign Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving, and DeAndre Jordan this off-season.

Wizards traded Howard to clear up their log jam at center after the emergence of Thomas Bryant and flipped him into a reliable shooter that they otherwise wouldn't have had the cap space to sign in free agency.

Grizzlies bought him out to save 2.6 million. I don't think anyone is under the delusion that they're attempting to win this season so Howard brings no value to them.

Listen, I'm not saying that Howard's shaky relationship with locker rooms and front offices didn't play a role in any of his departures, but lets not pretend that all of these teams that lost Howard were making any trade and taking back these massive contracts just to be rid of him. In every single transaction, the team losing Howard saved massively or was compensated with younger players, better fitting players or even all of the above. They traded him and cut him because it suited their needs which more often than not included saving money rather than winning more games.

And really, that's been the crux of Howard's troubles in the league; Money. He's always been paid as if he's a max contract player and as such has been in a position to demand max player treatment and touches. But the truth is that he's not a max player anymore and as soon as his teams have realized this they cut bait on him.

This will truly be the first time in Howard's career where he won't be in a position to demand max player treatment if only because he won't be making the money that would command it.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:18 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
I didn't want Howard... I preferred Noah but at this point he's back and it's time to accept it. Let's see what he contribute.

Best case scenario, we get a motivated player who can effectively guard other C's, will set hard screens, roll, rim run, and rebound. In that best case scenario, he accepts just being a cog in the wheel and there is no drama whatsoever.

Worst case, he very early on doesn't show proper motivation and is not worth the drama he's causing and he gets bought out with no money tied up.

Agreed.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:04 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
2019 wrote:

Agreed.

And who will be his replacement? Will Noah still be a free agent?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:35 am    Post subject:

ToastedMuffins wrote:
ocho wrote:
Staccatos wrote:
ocho wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Hawks traded Howard when they decided to rebuild. They weren't trying to win which is why immediately after trading him they went from 5th in the East all the way to dead last. The whole point was to parlay him into two cheaper players, one of which they bought out to save $4.7 million overall.

Hornets traded him for a player making less salary, a pick, cash considerations, and a young prospect. They saved $12.5 million overall.

Nets cut him to save $5 million in a buyout agreement. They did the exact same with Kenneth Faried which were both moves that led to freeing up the cap space to sign Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving, and DeAndre Jordan this off-season.

Wizards traded Howard to clear up their log jam at center after the emergence of Thomas Bryant and flipped him into a reliable shooter that they otherwise wouldn't have had the cap space to sign in free agency.

Grizzlies bought him out to save 2.6 million. I don't think anyone is under the delusion that they're attempting to win this season so Howard brings no value to them.

Listen, I'm not saying that Howard's shaky relationship with locker rooms and front offices didn't play a role in any of his departures, but lets not pretend that all of these teams that lost Howard were making any trade and taking back these massive contracts just to be rid of him. In every single transaction, the team losing Howard saved massively or was compensated with younger players, better fitting players or even all of the above. They traded him and cut him because it suited their needs which more often than not included saving money rather than winning more games.

And really, that's been the crux of Howard's troubles in the league; Money. He's always been paid as if he's a max contract player and as such has been in a position to demand max player treatment and touches. But the truth is that he's not a max player anymore and as soon as his teams have realized this they cut bait on him.

This will truly be the first time in Howard's career where he won't be in a position to demand max player treatment if only because he won't be making the money that would command it.

The Hawks saved money on the trade, but you're ignoring that Dwight had been benched in the playoffs that year.

Quote:
Howard's averages with the Hawks - 13.5 points and 12.7 rebounds - were close to his production in his last of three seasons with Houston in 2015-16. Still, he finished the season unhappy about his diminished role in the playoffs, when he averaged eight points and 10.7 rebounds.

"It was very difficult. I want to play," Howard said after the season. "I want to be on the floor. I want to make an impact. You can't do it on the bench."

There's also the bit about Hawks players erupting in jubilation upon hearing of the trade.

The Hornets traded for a player at a lower figure per year but with more salary due. So they traded him for a bigger contract. It also ignores this, per the Charlotte Observer:

Quote:
I was speaking to a team source in midseason – this was months before the Howard trade – and he told me of the Hornets players’ frustration that Howard simply wouldn’t run the play that was called, sometimes in key last-minute situations.

Also, for a man with a superhero body, Howard’s screen-setting was often “terrible,” according to the source. Howard and former coach Steve Clifford – who was always seen as “The Howard Whisperer” – also did not have nearly as perfect a relationship as was advertised and had at least one notable confrontation. And I saw firsthand some of the eye-rolling that Howard’s teammates did when they spoke about him.

Howard's deal was an expiring for Brooklyn. Still could have kept him and let him expire and get to have all the fun of having Dwight, even for a short time, while still having space for 2 max slots. Why didn't they?

Really? The emergence of Thomas Bryant? If Dwight is the rim protecting, rebounding monster I've been told he is why not have both? He was making $5M and had one year left. Why did their new GM state it was the quickest trade he ever made once he was put in charge?

Why does Howard make no sense for the Grizzlies? They need to dump a veteran rim protecting rebounding monster (so I've been told) on an expiring deal to save $2M?

This isn't the first time Dwight won't command max treatment. He signed a 2yr deal with the Wizards for $11M total and exercised his $5M option because he knew he couldn't do better on the market and still nobody wanted him.

You can say Dwight has always been overpaid, and that's been true at times, but the dollar amount teams have saved from dumping him has gotten smaller and smaller. You have to ignore an unprecedented tidal wave of reporting on the reasons why these teams couldn't stomach him for more than a season before parting ways with him. To reframe it as unfortunate financial circumstances in each stop is simply inaccurate.

Last edited by ocho on Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:41 am; edited 1 time in total
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:40 am    Post subject:

He’s a backup center role player.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:46 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

Does he know that? His self awareness has always been questionable.

We will find out this season.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:04 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I mean, he may start, certainly at times, but he’ll be getting backup center minutes. Does he know that? Probably, given he was willing to take a non-guaranteed day to day contract.

The dude is literally getting paid by the day. He has ZERO leverage to try and get something else if that’s what he wants.

Don’t know why people are breaking this signing down. It’s as optimal as you can hope for, for a player of his skills.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:38 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I mean, he may start, certainly at times, but he’ll be getting backup center minutes. Does he know that? Probably, given he was willing to take a non-guaranteed day to day contract.

The dude is literally getting paid by the day. He has ZERO leverage to try and get something else if that’s what he wants.

Don’t know why people are breaking this signing down. It’s as optimal as you can hope for, for a player of his skills.

His skills have never been the issue unless injured. It’s his mental approach to the game and his teammates that he always seems to screw up. It always comes back to his immaturity and resistance to being a team player that turns previous teams against him.

The financial side is minimal IMO. Howard is worth $140m. The day to day contract is not a concern. It is the opportunity to play that is. I hope he is in a place mentally that he can take advantage of it.

I expect Howard to start at times. Because of injuries or roster management issues I can envision him getting significant mpg and having some great games at times.

That is actually where I see some disruptive issues start with him. When he starts thinking he deserves more then backup mpg or role.

I continue to be skeptical he can keep it together for a season. It’s just not his personality or nature. The problems will be when he loses focus on paths system or wants to increase his offensive contributions beyond 3 feet.

But I do agree if he can stay focused on his backup role. If he can focus on rebounding, defense and being a team player it will be productive. He just has a lot to prove that he is capable of staying within those expectations.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
danzag wrote:
Someone please send this thread to General Basketball limbo

Nothing to do with Lakers basketball
ASAP

Famous last words.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

The non guaranteed money he is receiving should send a clear enough message to him......follow the money?

I think there is just as much of a chance that he comes in and balls out.....looking for that next payday which is perfect for a merc like him

Run him till the wheels fall off
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject:

Polarbear wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

The non guaranteed money he is receiving should send a clear enough message to him......follow the money?

I think there is just as much of a chance that he comes in and balls out.....looking for that next payday which is perfect for a merc like him

Run him till the wheels fall off

Or in his case, the back/labrum.

Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject:

I don't think they brought him here to be JaVale's backup. Why would you ask a backup if he can be trusted to guard Joel Embiid instead of, 'do you think you can feast on those second unit bigs?!'?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

His skills have never been the issue unless injured. It’s his mental approach to the game and his teammates that he always seems to screw up. It always comes back to his immaturity and resistance to being a team player that turns previous teams against him.

The financial side is minimal IMO. Howard is worth $140m. The day to day contract is not a concern. It is the opportunity to play that is. I hope he is in a place mentally that he can take advantage of it.

I expect Howard to start at times. Because of injuries or roster management issues I can envision him getting significant mpg and having some great games at times.

That is actually where I see some disruptive issues start with him. When he starts thinking he deserves more then backup mpg or role.

I continue to be skeptical he can keep it together for a season. It’s just not his personality or nature. The problems will be when he loses focus on paths system or wants to increase his offensive contributions beyond 3 feet.

But I do agree if he can stay focused on his backup role. If he can focus on rebounding, defense and being a team player it will be productive. He just has a lot to prove that he is capable of staying within those expectations.

Yeah, I don’t disagree with anything you said. I mean, any player you sign to a contract like we did Dwight is going to come with some risk whether that be on or off the court.

So for me, the downside is a real risk, but that risk is well baked into the price. The worst case scenario is we cut him. No cap impacts or anything.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 14 of 15
Jump to: