Phil Handy hired as AC (Handy says he'll be back)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gaogi
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
So his finals record is 2-3?

That’s not good. Right?

better than 0-0
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject:

gaogi wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

That’s not good. Right?

better than 0-0

Laker fans didnt used to think so
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject:

Raps fans re: Handy

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1874082
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Raps fans re: Handy

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1874082

Biggest shock was reading a Raptors fan suggest that losing Phil Handy was a bigger deal then losing Kawhi
Gellollo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
gaogi wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

That’s not good. Right?

better than 0-0

Laker fans didnt used to think so

Well it’s noteworthy that the losses all came from the Warriors. If he lost against different opponents, then maybe it’s worrisome. But he lost to the same opponent who was just flat-out better.
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject:

This is an excellent read by Harrison Fa.gen which talks about him working with various stars:

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2019/7/16/20695633/lakers-assistant-coach-phil-handy-instagram-lebron-james-kyrie-irving-kobe-bryant-kawhi-leonard-kd
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
This past July, Kawhi left Toronto to sign with the Los Angeles Clippers in free agency. Faced with an uncertain future, the Raptors granted permission to other NBA teams to engage with Phil.

Kyrie wanted his former coach to join him and Kevin Durant with the Brooklyn Nets. And LeBron hinted at an opportunity in LA, with Anthony Davis coming over from the New Orleans Pelicans.

Phil found some clarity the day after the NBA Las Vegas Summer League ended, in the form of a phone call from Frank Vogel, the Lakers’ newly-hired head coach.

“Can you fly here tomorrow morning?” Frank asked.

The next day, Phil was on an 8 a.m. flight from Vegas to LA to meet with the Lakers. After a quick interview, he was back on a plane home where, upon landing, he turned on his phone.

“It rang immediately,” he says. “My agent called me and said the Lakers had made an offer.”

The Lakers wanted to give Phil a seat on the front of the bench as an assistant coach. But before he accepted the Lakers position, he got another call—this time from Clippers head coach Doc Rivers, who made him an offer.

Though Phil found the opportunity to work with Doc and reunite with Kawhi difficult to resist, he ultimately opted to return to the Lakers.
Either way, he has only one thing on his mind this season: winning.

“I've gotten hooked on that,” he says. “That feeling is just one that you want to continue to experience.”

Good read.

https://closeup360.com/insiders/kobe-bryant-kyrie-irving-lebron-james-kawhi-leonard-nobody-knows-nba-superstars-like-phil-handy/
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Quote:
This past July, Kawhi left Toronto to sign with the Los Angeles Clippers in free agency. Faced with an uncertain future, the Raptors granted permission to other NBA teams to engage with Phil.

Kyrie wanted his former coach to join him and Kevin Durant with the Brooklyn Nets. And LeBron hinted at an opportunity in LA, with Anthony Davis coming over from the New Orleans Pelicans.

Phil found some clarity the day after the NBA Las Vegas Summer League ended, in the form of a phone call from Frank Vogel, the Lakers’ newly-hired head coach.

The next day, Phil was on an 8 a.m. flight from Vegas to LA to meet with the Lakers. After a quick interview, he was back on a plane home where, upon landing, he turned on his phone.

“It rang immediately,” he says. “My agent called me and said the Lakers had made an offer.”

The Lakers wanted to give Phil a seat on the front of the bench as an assistant coach. But before he accepted the Lakers position, he got another call—this time from Clippers head coach Doc Rivers, who made him an offer.

Though Phil found the opportunity to work with Doc and reunite with Kawhi difficult to resist, he ultimately opted to return to the Lakers.

“I've gotten hooked on that,” he says. “That feeling is just one that you want to continue to experience.”

Good read.

https://closeup360.com/insiders/kobe-bryant-kyrie-irving-lebron-james-kawhi-leonard-nobody-knows-nba-superstars-like-phil-handy/

So glad he chose Los Angeles.
LonzoLegend2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Quote:

Good read.

Geez Clipps always sucking at the Lakers teet, no original scouting or hiring practices of their own.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:32 pm    Post subject:

Phil Handy owning a Clipper’s fan:

@thereal94feetofgame

https://i.redd.it/lasbr5fj41n51.jpg

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:

@thereal94feetofgame

Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:

@thereal94feetofgame

That’s awesome thanks for sharing Nash Vegas.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:38 pm    Post subject:

Good point about helping develop Kawhi

If the Clippers get past the Nuggets, anything can happen in a game 7 and they seem to mental midgets, I expect a dog fight vs the Lakers. It seems we are the only team they get up to play against.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:40 pm    Post subject:

Hopefully we pay this man. But I feel like he goes to the Nets.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:52 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:

He was also the assistant at Cleveland from 13 to 18. So I'm thinking if the Lakers don't pay him, Lebron might out of his own pocket lol. He knows exactly how good Phil is
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:54 pm    Post subject:

Phil Handy is one of the big reasons for our success, he works well with the players the Nets can dream all they want but Phil Handy is gonna stay.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:00 pm    Post subject:

If Handy did walk we can try to nab McMillan or Gentry to replace him, guessing Donovan will go back to the NCAA.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:02 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:

He was also the assistant at Cleveland from 13 to 18. So I'm thinking if the Lakers don't pay him, Lebron might out of his own pocket lol. He knows exactly how good Phil is

I think we have the upper hand over anyone since we have the competent front office again with a great coaching staff and obviously a roster that will continue to contend for the near future at least. We'd have to completely disrespect him at this point and I just don't see it happening. If us fans know and talk about how important he is the front office are hearing it across the board as well im sure. I'd say he stays for at least another year or two (hopefully much longer then that!).

I could see the Nets organization completely imploding next season if a few things don't go right. KD and Kyrie both are not shy in the slightest to start up drama. That team will easily be one of the biggest wild cards in the NBA. Not sure why he would leave a currently great situation for that.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:29 pm    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:
If Handy did walk we can try to nab McMillan or Gentry to replace him, guessing Donovan will go back to the NCAA.

Donovan can probably get any job he desires. The guy can do a lot with a little.

As for us, I hope we keep Handy. McMillan is a good coach, but I’ve heard that his team took the most long 2’s in the league. I’m over the Lakers playing like that.

Pelican fans are complaining that Gentry and Mike D are the exact same coach. Our offense is perfect as is. Maybe we can get more plays for Kuz and post AD slightly less, but that’s all I can think of.
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:57 am    Post subject:

I think he will stay. You dont leave the Lakers organization to make step down. No way.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:12 am    Post subject:

blackmamba08 wrote:
I think he will stay. You dont leave the Lakers organization to make step down. No way.

Like leaving your hometown, Kobe, & the Lakers and join the Cavs? 😝
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:57 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
blackmamba08 wrote:

Like leaving your hometown, Kobe, & the Lakers and join the Cavs? 😝

If I remember correctly its was not the same position. Maybe I am mistaken.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:18 am    Post subject:

blackmamba08 wrote:

It wouldn't be a step down for him to go to the Nets, necessarily. He'd still be on the front bench with them just like he is now with the Lakers. What we should be hoping for is that some team takes Kidd off of our hands and Handy can get promoted as Vogel's lead assistant.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:13 am    Post subject:

Everyone wants to get Phil Handy

Quote:
Steve Nash reportedly is looking at Phil Handy to join his Brooklyn coaching staff.

https://twitter.com/lakersnation/status/1305929625382641670?s=21
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
Everyone wants to get Phil Handy

Quote:
Steve Nash reportedly is looking at Phil Handy to join his Brooklyn coaching staff.

https://twitter.com/lakersnation/status/1305929625382641670?s=21

F off Steve
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6
Jump to: