cook vs daniels - why did we sign both?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject:

I thought this was obvious... Daniels was signed as a minimum player under the assumption we were getting Kawhi and we would only have room to grab some min vet players and one exception player.
But once Kawhi back stabbed us we had a bunch of salary to go after players above vet min like Cook.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
I thought this was obvious... Daniels was signed as a minimum player under the assumption we were getting Kawhi and we would only have room to grab some min vet players and one exception player.
But once Kawhi back stabbed us we had a bunch of salary to go after players above vet min like Cook.

The first part may be true, but the second part in regards to Cook does not appear to be true.
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Cook didn’t play PG for the Warriors, I’m not sure where that thinking comes from. I think that Daniels was signed as a cheap shooter around Lebron/AD/Kawhi. I don’t see where either signing is bad for the team.

He's not really a PG, but he can probably fill the role of dribbling the ball to the frontcourt, and also defending the opposing PG at the point of attack.

Otherwise, he's just a shooter, but he's good at it and we may as well have a bench that's stocked with good shooters.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:

No matter what we were going to have some vet min guys at the end of the roster. I doubt going after Daniel's had anything to do with Kawhi.
Chick's Magic Johnson
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject:

LuciusAllen wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Cook didn’t play PG for the Warriors, I’m not sure where that thinking comes from. I think that Daniels was signed as a cheap shooter around Lebron/AD/Kawhi. I don’t see where either signing is bad for the team.

He's not really a PG, but he can probably fill the role of dribbling the ball to the frontcourt, and also defending the opposing PG at the point of attack.

Otherwise, he's just a shooter, but he's good at it and we may as well have a bench that's stocked with good shooters.

Agreed. He technically plays the position of PG 100% of the time, but not in the classic "point god" sense of him having primary creation responsibilities. I'll admit my full knowledge of his skills is limited, but my understanding is he'll be doing exactly what you describe. And with so many front court creators, that's what we need.
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject:

I agree to a certain extent that the roster has quantity/depth versus quality, especially at PG spot. My biggest concern is a starting/secondary playmaking PG and back up, 3D SF.

Our PG position is all over the place. Bradley has most potential if he can hop in a time machine. Caruso is underrated. Rondo should be a veteran voice at this point of his career, but he is probably our 2nd best playmaker. Cook is purely a shooter with no defense.

SG is set with Green and KCP. Not sure where Daniels will find PT and we have Norvell on 2way contract if needed.

Lebron is our SF/PF and our back up SF is.....Dudley.

Davis and Kuz will play the PF mainly with Davis playing some 5. Boogie and McGee will split time at C when Davis is at the PF spot.

I hope that Lakers will address the starting PG position with a quality upgrade and back up SF spot. Bradley, Cook, and Daniels seems most likely to be trade candidates.
BennyLava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject:

I am happy if either or both are standing in the corner and can drain an open look. We have had Zo/Kuz/BI that clanked those at the worst possible moments in games.
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject:

I'd rather someone tell me why we signed Rondo.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject:

chekmatex4 wrote:
I agree to a certain extent that the roster has quantity/depth versus quality, especially at PG spot. My biggest concern is a starting/secondary playmaking PG and back up, 3D SF.

Our PG position is all over the place. Bradley has most potential if he can hop in a time machine. Caruso is underrated. Rondo should be a veteran voice at this point of his career, but he is probably our 2nd best playmaker. Cook is purely a shooter with no defense.

SG is set with Green and KCP. Not sure where Daniels will find PT and we have Norvell on 2way contract if needed.

Lebron is our SF/PF and our back up SF is.....Dudley.

Davis and Kuz will play the PF mainly with Davis playing some 5. Boogie and McGee will split time at C when Davis is at the PF spot.

I hope that Lakers will address the starting PG position with a quality upgrade and back up SF spot. Bradley, Cook, and Daniels seems most likely to be trade candidates.

If the Lakers get Memphis-Bradley instead of LAC-Bradley, the team should be really good. Backing up Memphis-Bradley with Caruso and short stints of Rondo and Cook should be just fine.

Personally, I think Dudley is going to surprise us in a positive way. In 2018, he had a ORPM of -0.65 and a DRPM of 0.74. The combined score of 0.09 makes him a potentially strong sf backup.

--Anonymous
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject:

Double post.

--Anonymous

Last edited by Annihilator on Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

No matter what we were going to have some vet min guys at the end of the roster. I doubt going after Daniel's had anything to do with Kawhi.

I agree with audio, particularly considering the time frame.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject:

Beir32 wrote:

I don’t think that there is an answer
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject:

Not sure why were complaining about having a pg/Sg who averaged 8/2/2 on 47/42 shooting splits the last two years.

Or a guy who has shot 40% from Deep for his career.

Both are on minimums for crying out loud. Never too much shooting.
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject:

If one shooter is in a slump, you just take him out of the line-up. You can never have too many shooters.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject:

Scoffs wrote:
If one shooter is in a slump, you just take him out of the line-up. You can never have too many shooters.

Yup, the blatantly obvious reason right here.. Even the greatest shooters have slumps or off nights, not to mention injuries. Plus, if someone that is a clear upgrade becomes available I am sure they will gladly drop a minimum contract and pick them up if it comes to that.
dcastillo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:15 pm    Post subject:

You guys are sleeping on cook. Couple years ago when he filled in for Steph, he played very well. I can see him being a patty mills for this team.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:19 pm    Post subject:

One of Lebron/AD/Cousins will be on the floor at all times, which means you need shooters on the floor at all times.
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:33 pm    Post subject:

The reason that we were last in 3% shoot last year is enough. They assembled the best possible shooter team around Lebron and thats is great IMO.

And also it is 82 games season + playoffs if there. It will be enough time for anyone. There will be injuries, players will rest. My only concern is SF position of the bench. If Kuzma cant step up defensively we could be in trouble.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:03 am    Post subject:

Gotta realize injuries happen.
It is unlikely a top 9 rotation will stay healthy throughout.
Then there are simply teams that will double Lebron and AD, and leave everyone else open.

In situations where players like Rondo and KCP can not make shots and plays. Because both players while more skilled at the 1 and 2, than Cook and Daniels respectively. While both Rondo and KCP are more skilled and capable players, the fact is basketball is simple when you have 2 superstars. You need role players that can make open looks. Rondo at PG, and KCP at 2 are not reliable consistent shooters. Cook and Daniels are.

Cook is a 1, and Daniels is a 2 in the league. You can get 15-20 minutes from either player in situations you need them, and you know they will ust shoot the ball the moment they catch it and open.

Rondo, KCP, Bradley. All inconsistent shooters. Our shooters are Danny Green, Quinn Cook and Troy Daniels.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:04 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Beir32 wrote:

Maybe familiarity of playing with AD
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:20 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Beir32 wrote:

Lebron playing all 82 is unlikely. Lebron should also be on load management. I don't know what people saw last year, but I see Rondo as someone who is still elite at one thing - He can create shots for others and run an offense. AD is not a point guard. Cousins is not a point guard. They can not dribble the ball up every play down and create their own shot. Someone has to deliver them the ball. Same for Kuzma. Yes Kuzma, Cousins, AD have some guard skills. But after LBJ those 3 are our top scoring options. Bradley and Green, KCP. All need a guard to deliver them the ball as a shooter. Who does this? Quinn Cook is a shooter himself. So it's down to Caruso. I like Caruso, but he has been a backup and never been in a contending situation where teams are getting up to play you and being pitted up against elite starting talent. Rondo is the only player on this roster outside of LBJ that can create plays on offense for teammates, deliver the ball in the right spots to scorers, and to run the offense coach wants. The moment LBJ sits, or is not playing, Rondo has immense value on offense.

Defensively he stinks. He doesn't really do anything else that I value. But I value that we have a PG that can control the pace of the game, that can deliver the ball to AD/Cousins/Kuzma/Shooters etc. when LBJ is sitting or not playing games. I have no problem with Rondo at this price so long as Rondo does not expect to play more than 20-22 mpg when Lebron is healthy. He is your insurance policy when Lebron rests or when Lebron is not playing games. If Caruso shows he's ready to do this, then Rondo can be cut at some point later in the season if he shows he's making trouble in the lockerroom or pouting for minutes. However until Caruso first proves he is capable, I can not say Rondo was a bad signing. The price was not much, and when you look at the PG market after Kawhi decision, Rondo was the best PG available at that time based on his history as a player, IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:23 am    Post subject:

Rondo controls the pace of a 2008 game, not 2019. He is ill equipped to play in the style that today’s game requires.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:29 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Rondo controls the pace of a 2008 game, not 2019. He is ill equipped to play in the style that today’s game requires.

Disagree. You're not looking at the playoffs and where there's going to be these 6-8 minute stretches that Lebron sits, and you need a reserve 2nd unit ballhandlng guard to play against pressure defense and top talent. I don't trust Caruso in those moments. The Lakers have literally no one other than Lebron who can create plays consistently for teammates, if you don't re-sign Rondo. Sure an argument can be made that had from day 1 LA known they didn't have Kawhi, they could have spent money on a better PG than Rondo. I agree with that. However based on where they were post-Kawhi decision, re-signing Rondo made a ton of sense to me. The only FA deal I don't like is KCP. Unless he becomes a consistent player for us, which he hasn't, I don't like it. We have Danny Green, Bradley. Daniels. Cook. All who I trust more than KCP to make plays on offense. Rondo at least does something Cook and Caruso have not shown they can so far at PG.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Gotta realize injuries happen.
It is unlikely a top 9 rotation will stay healthy throughout.
Then there are simply teams that will double Lebron and AD, and leave everyone else open.

In situations where players like Rondo and KCP can not make shots and plays. Because both players while more skilled at the 1 and 2, than Cook and Daniels respectively. While both Rondo and KCP are more skilled and capable players, the fact is basketball is simple when you have 2 superstars. You need role players that can make open looks. Rondo at PG, and KCP at 2 are not reliable consistent shooters. Cook and Daniels are.

Cook is a 1, and Daniels is a 2 in the league. You can get 15-20 minutes from either player in situations you need them, and you know they will ust shoot the ball the moment they catch it and open.

Rondo, KCP, Bradley. All inconsistent shooters. Our shooters are Danny Green, Quinn Cook and Troy Daniels.

While the last part maybe true...IMO Rondo, KCP and Bradley will all get more minutes than Daniels and Cook.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
governator wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Beir32 wrote:

Lebron playing all 82 is unlikely. Lebron should also be on load management. I don't know what people saw last year, but I see Rondo as someone who is still elite at one thing - He can create shots for others and run an offense. AD is not a point guard. Cousins is not a point guard. They can not dribble the ball up every play down and create their own shot. Someone has to deliver them the ball. Same for Kuzma. Yes Kuzma, Cousins, AD have some guard skills. But after LBJ those 3 are our top scoring options. Bradley and Green, KCP. All need a guard to deliver them the ball as a shooter. Who does this? Quinn Cook is a shooter himself. So it's down to Caruso. I like Caruso, but he has been a backup and never been in a contending situation where teams are getting up to play you and being pitted up against elite starting talent. Rondo is the only player on this roster outside of LBJ that can create plays on offense for teammates, deliver the ball in the right spots to scorers, and to run the offense coach wants. The moment LBJ sits, or is not playing, Rondo has immense value on offense.

Defensively he stinks. He doesn't really do anything else that I value. But I value that we have a PG that can control the pace of the game, that can deliver the ball to AD/Cousins/Kuzma/Shooters etc. when LBJ is sitting or not playing games. I have no problem with Rondo at this price so long as Rondo does not expect to play more than 20-22 mpg when Lebron is healthy. He is your insurance policy when Lebron rests or when Lebron is not playing games. If Caruso shows he's ready to do this, then Rondo can be cut at some point later in the season if he shows he's making trouble in the lockerroom or pouting for minutes. However until Caruso first proves he is capable, I can not say Rondo was a bad signing. The price was not much, and when you look at the PG market after Kawhi decision, Rondo was the best PG available at that time based on his history as a player, IMO.

Also King Randle wrote:

Those guys deserve their retired numbers. Evaluations that are on the spot.

It is interesting how those retired numbers would fill the backup SF position or if there is a need.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: