Double Standard for Domestic Violence in Professional Sports?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject: Double Standard for Domestic Violence in Professional Sports?

I thought this was an interesting question after seeing the recent discipline handed out by the WNBA involving domestic violence cases involving same sex relationships. The punishment appears to be less than what would be expected from other leagues when the case involves a male abusing a female. The question is should it be? Are the offenses more similar or distinctly different? I have seen little public discussion or outrage from domestic violence advocates about the WNBA's history of light punishment.

The latest case was involving LA Sparks player Riquna Williams who was arrested in April on felony charges of burglary with assault or battery and aggravated assault with a deadly weapon without intent to kill. The accusation is Williams went to her ex-girlfriends home and physically assaulted her before going to her car to retrieve a handgun, returning and pointing it at her ex-girlfriend and a male at the house, threatening to shoot them. Since the arrest, the LA Sparks gave Williams a new contract and the WNBA recently suspended her for 10 games which equals about one month. Williams legal case is ongoing. In 2015, the WNBA gave a 7 game suspension to Glory Johnson and Brittney Griner after being arrested for domestic violence.

I think everyone would recognize in the current environment, these punishments are significantly lighter than would be issued if it was male on female domestic violence case, especially if it involved a firearm. Again the question is should there be a double standard or not?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject:

This topic is complicated by the CBAs. Using the NBA as a comparison, Darren Collison got eight games and Willie Reed got six games. This does not seem out of line with the WNBA.

Yes, the NFL in particular has been tougher. Most of the suspensions have been in the four to six game range, which is a greater punishment in light of the shorter season. I think the better argument is that the NBA and WNBA should be tougher, not that women are getting off easier than men. But this may be impacted by the NBA and WNBA CBAs.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
This topic is complicated by the CBAs. Using the NBA as a comparison, Darren Collison got eight games and Willie Reed got six games. This does not seem out of line with the WNBA.

Yes, the NFL in particular has been tougher. Most of the suspensions have been in the four to six game range, which is a greater punishment in light of the shorter season. I think the better argument is that the NBA and WNBA should be tougher, not that women are getting off easier than men. But this may be impacted by the NBA and WNBA CBAs.

I guess you are correct in that most of the cases I was thinking of have been NFL cases including the announcement today the Cardinals releasing Desmond Harrison after being arrested. I would still think an NBA player would not get a new contract or this type of punishment in 2019 especially committing the crime with a firearm.

I am not looking at it directly as a woman compared to a man, but more as society are we more accepting or less sympathetic if the crime is committed on someone of the same sex? Should we be? If it was a male on male domestic violence, would the penalty be similar? Would the public be as upset?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: