Jerry West: Clippers are the best Organization I have ever been with
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pureshot77
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I’m talking about an organization, you are talking about the team. If Lebron gets hurt and misses the season it will affect the team but won’t change the organization. What other franchise would hire Pelinka? Or either of the Rambis’? I would venture to guess none, yet they are in charge here. There is no experience, no success there. And we haven’t made the playoffs once in that time period. The franchise was one of the best with Dr. Buss, West, Kupchak and Bertka. Dr. Buss was as cheap as anyone but saw the value of paying players even if he had to pay tax. But things changed, Dr. Buss passed away and his entitled kids took over. There is hope that they learn but with them in charge, we are nowhere near a top 5 franchise.

Focusing on the period of playoff misses is on the same level as looking to past championships. That's all in the past. I'm basing my opinion on a forward looking basis as far as the current state of the Lakers. I think we can all agree that things are looking up and expectations are that a championship run is possible.

Differentiating the team from the organization is an interesting point. Let me ask you this, who would have argued the Clippers were a top 5 organization prior to Leonard and George landing on the team this off season?
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject:

I think Jerry West is just saying that to get under the Lakers skin. It's his version of "Get off my lawn".
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject:

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2846567-report-kawhi-leonards-uncle-dennis-allegedly-made-illegal-fa-requests-in-cba.amp.html

I'm just hoping Jerry did his thing.
And hopefully they did promise Kawhi things outside the CBA.
And it would be hilarious if the NBA voided Kawhi's contract.
Highly unlikely as Jerry is a pro at this and wouldn't leave around any hard copy promises.

But just for the fun of it, if they did void his contract, where would he sign for the MLE or the vet's min? Warriors? Nets? Adding him to any team would make them a contender.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject:

Mr West should define " best organization".

Best in regards to placating its employees and paying them a boatload of money to win them over? Or best in regards to professional success, which translates into championship rings.

The NBA is not about stroking egos and providing personal comforts for executives. The NBA is about winning Rings, and in this way, the Clippers have failed terribly.

All these Laker haters in the media talking about how the Clippers is a better run organization than the Lakers. Really?

If you are not giving me Championship parades, you are not a well-run organization. I don't care about the type of plane that the players ride in, or the personal luxuries the executives get, or their bonuses or how nice the offices smells. As a fan, I want Rings. That's the only thing I can relate to. That's the only thing I give a damn about. And the Clippers have not given me anything. Zero... And they've been around for several years.

So for west to say that, despite being with franchises that have won championships, that those franchises are not the best hes worked for, and a franchise that has never even been to the NBA finals is ....well, that tells me allI need to know.
Nnamdi21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I’m talking about an organization, you are talking about the team. If Lebron gets hurt and misses the season it will affect the team but won’t change the organization. What other franchise would hire Pelinka? Or either of the Rambis’? I would venture to guess none, yet they are in charge here. There is no experience, no success there. And we haven’t made the playoffs once in that time period. The franchise was one of the best with Dr. Buss, West, Kupchak and Bertka. Dr. Buss was as cheap as anyone but saw the value of paying players even if he had to pay tax. But things changed, Dr. Buss passed away and his entitled kids took over. There is hope that they learn but with them in charge, we are nowhere near a top 5 franchise.

The current regime is in their 1st year. Last 2 years was Magic's doings. If anyone is to blame it's Jeanie Buss. But lets see what Pelinka can do. So far its decent. He got the best coach available and has 2 top 10 players. For all of Jeanie Buss's mismanagements, she hasnt been shy to pay star players yet. She was also slow to fire her brother. He was part of the disaster. But she made another bad move in hiring Magic. Lets see where this goes. If they win a ring then thats all that matters and not even the Clippers can be considered better.
Nnamdi21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Pureshot77 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Focusing on the period of playoff misses is on the same level as looking to past championships. That's all in the past. I'm basing my opinion on a forward looking basis as far as the current state of the Lakers. I think we can all agree that things are looking up and expectations are that a championship run is possible.

Differentiating the team from the organization is an interesting point. Let me ask you this, who would have argued the Clippers were a top 5 organization prior to Leonard and George landing on the team this off season?

Clippers are considered to be a top 5 org because of Jerry West. They overachieved last year with that roster and are now the darlings. In years prior, Doc Rivers was considered below average and overrated. Now he's one of the best. His teams with star players in LA always underachieved in the playoffs. Ballmer is loaded so he will always be considered better than Jeanie Buss by default. not much we can do there.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Yeah. Clips now go from the cute underdog to a lot of prognosticator's #1 choice.

They deliver or don't.

I kind of like being an "underdog" with LBJ/AD on the same team. Imagine that.
Nnamdi21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject:

Imagine if Lebron didnt sign with the Lakers.

If the Lakers had traded away Ball/Ingram and a bunch of 1st round picks for PG13 and signed Kawhi. What would the reaction be about our front office?

Something like...Kawhi talked PG13 into joining the Lakers. Pelinka didnt have to do much. They were gifted to him?

Jerry West on the other hand gets the magician label for pulling it off. He could have been in the same situation the Lakers are in if Lebron wanted to be a Clipper last year. Would he have refused to sign Lebron last year?
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2846567-report-kawhi-leonards-uncle-dennis-allegedly-made-illegal-fa-requests-in-cba.amp.html

I'm just hoping Jerry did his thing.
And hopefully they did promise Kawhi things outside the CBA.
And it would be hilarious if the NBA voided Kawhi's contract.
Highly unlikely as Jerry is a pro at this and wouldn't leave around any hard copy promises.

But just for the fun of it, if they did void his contract, where would he sign for the MLE or the vet's min? Warriors? Nets? Adding him to any team would make them a contender.

There's very little possibility that Jerry West would be involved in any shenanigans. That doesn't mean someone else in the front office didn't do something wrong. Even if someone is found, I don't think the league will hand down enough of a punishment anyways.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject:

Ballmer’s billions doing work it seems. Wouldn’t be a surprise to see more details about cap circumvention or even that shady Inglewood land deal leak out at some point.

https://la.curbed.com/2019/5/29/18644799/clippers-arena-inglewood-brown-act-violation
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7
Jump to: