Lakers felt they got played by Kawhi (Leonard responds: “Lakers didn’t have to wait for me” pg.17)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject:

mookielala wrote:
We got played, but I think KL would have come here if the PG trade didn't go through.

Your guess is as good as mine, but he played us.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject:

the only way IMHO the Lakers were misled is if Kawhi left the impression that he’s was going to sign with the purple and gold.
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:01 pm    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
Wvc0925 wrote:
chekmatex4 wrote:
So who did we lose out on by waiting for Kawhi? The contracts some of the guys Lakers were reportedly interested in weren't going to be matched by the Lakers. Seth Curry for 4 years, $32m? Terrence Ross for 4 years, $54m? Seems like Lakers were only offering 2 year deals for the chance of getting Giannis.

Waiting for Giannis? Lol pipe dream. Lakers going to fall for that a 3rd time?

You know what they say... the 3rd time's a charm!
I’m not saying they will get Giannis but Lakers set themselves up to have max salary slot when he’s a free agent by offering only 2 year contracts this offseason.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject:

This would have been a good POLL..

I vote for he played us...

Hopefully Teams will learn NOT to wait around on guys who insist on waiting around..

Look how many guys signed the first day or two, nearly all of the good ones!

As soon as Uncle "Richard" told the Lakers he would meet with them in 3-5 days, the Lakers should have stood their ground and told him they either meet the first day or they are NOT interested...

And then the Lakers would have been able to get some better players than they signed...
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:45 pm    Post subject:

gooner wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
gooner wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
They should feel like they got played, because they did get played. The front office should not be resting on its laurels just because they were able to rebound from the kl disaster. They need to figure out how to get the franchise front office image back to where it used to be during Dr. Buss' leadership. They blew their first chance by not bringing back Jerry West or some other top veteran front office consultant/executive to help out Pelinka. They need to work to improve and not just feel comfortable in thinking the Laker brand will be enough.

Sorry dude but I really don’t understand the negative attitude. Are you really a Laker fan? The Lakers didn’t rebound. They executed a very good contingency plan. WE HAVE LEBRON! WE HAVE AD! WE KEPT KUZMA! WE HAVE COUSINS! WE HAVE GREEN!

This coming season, we are a serous contender. Sheesh.

Because it still doesn’t change the fact the Laker’s FO got played like fools by kawhi’s camp. This wouldn’t be too much of a problem if we weren’t planning to execute the same plan 2 years later.

It is not a fact that the Lakers got played as fools. The problem is that they felt Kawhi "played them." That is different. That means they felt Kawhi was disingenuous during the negotiations.

While Kawhi may have been disingenuous, the Lakers were not fools. The front office did exactly what any expert strategist would do. Shoot for the best option but have a solid, executable contingency plan. That is exactly what they did.

And the FACT that they had an excellent contingency plan, plus the FACT that they put together a team that many rank as title favorites after completely missing the playoffs the previous year, testifies to their competency.

Do you understand this? Today, we have a team that has a potential to win it all next season. What do you freaking want?

You can keep thinking they didn't get played but the way the series of events unfolded will ensure the lakers looking like fools because of how it naturally comes across, regardless of how disingenuous kawhi acted in negotiations. The fact you have comments coming from windhost doesn't help matters, especially with the current media atmosphere.

Why aren't people saying the same thing about the knicks? Didn't they have a meeting scheduled with kawhi? Oh it's because they realized kawhi's decision could leave them high and dry, so they backed out before their other targets could sign somewhere else (and they were already left behind this offseason).

An expert strategist doesn't get hustled or look like they got hustled by somebody else. If kawhi was disingenuous, it's the onus on the FO to recognize it and pivot before it's too late, something they didn't do properly. An expert strategist may shoot for the moon, but he recognizes when or when not to do so. The lakers shot for the moon twice back to back: with the AD trade and then waiting for kawhi leonard. After landing AD, it's arguable the lakers didn't have to risk it all for kawhi. Had they landed another max FA, they would have been the clear favorites at the title without the stench of striking out in FA.

EXCELLENT contingency plan?

An excellent plan never involves having to use a good portion of the cap space to pay KCP. Lakers were a bit lucky Danny Green decided to wait on kawhi's decision or they could really have been left with nothing.

Still, the lakers somehow ended up with a team that has a shot to win the title. However, it's more of a "everything has to go perfectly" kind of shot. We're not the clear favorites, which is why I don't like having the 2021 plan looming around. The lakers would be in a worse position with an even greater chance of striking out while limiting the opportunity the team has to win the title.
flacoflee
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject:

Uncle Dennis is a living breathing red flag. Do not trust that man.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:21 pm    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:

An expert strategist doesn't get hustled or look like they got hustled by somebody else. If kawhi was disingenuous, it's the onus on the FO to recognize it and pivot before it's too late, something they didn't do properly. An expert strategist may shoot for the moon, but he recognizes when or when not to do so.

Are you implying that you are an expert strategist who would recognize another expert strategist if you saw one?
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:25 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
Which is worst?

PG not giving the Lakers a meeting?

Kawhi giving Lakers a meeting but really just using the Lakers so he could meet with PG around the same area with no intention of signing with the Lakers anyway?

this shouldnt even be up for debate. PG13 did nothing wrong IMO. Yes it was disappointing he didnt sign with us but he had free will to sign where-ever he wanted and he did it the right way by not leading other teams on.
Kawhi had free will as well and I would have respected his decision but how he lead on other teams was very shady. I truly dont think he did it to intentionally screw us over... he was just trying to keep his options open but FFS Man up and just sign with the Clippers right away if thats what you want and then worry about getting another star after the fact.
gooner
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:39 pm    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:

You can keep thinking they didn't get played but the way the series of events unfolded will ensure the lakers looking like fools because of how it naturally comes across, regardless of how disingenuous kawhi acted in negotiations. The fact you have comments coming from windhost doesn't help matters, especially with the current media atmosphere.

Honestly, I don't get this. They look like fools because of how it naturally comes across. What does that even mean?

dabask11 wrote:
Why aren't people saying the same thing about the knicks? Didn't they have a meeting scheduled with kawhi? Oh it's because they realized kawhi's decision could leave them high and dry, so they backed out before their other targets could sign somewhere else (and they were already left behind this offseason).

I suspect because Kawhi didn't inform the Knicks that they were a serious consideration. But I only suspect. I wasn't privy to the Knicks conversations with Kawhi and his representatives.

dabask11 wrote:
An expert strategist doesn't get hustled or look like they got hustled by somebody else. If kawhi was disingenuous, it's the onus on the FO to recognize it and pivot before it's too late, something they didn't do properly. An expert strategist may shoot for the moon, but he recognizes when or when not to do so. The lakers shot for the moon twice back to back: with the AD trade and then waiting for kawhi leonard. After landing AD, it's arguable the lakers didn't have to risk it all for kawhi. Had they landed another max FA, they would have been the clear favorites at the title without the stench of striking out in FA.

So what would you do to vet Kawhi's camp while he is telling you that your team is in the running for his services? And it obviously wasn't too late. As I said before, this is a championship contending team.

dabask11 wrote:

It is. You apparently want to just complain. There are many who believe that using the additional cap space money was better spent on filling out a deeper roster, rather than having Lebron, AD, Kawhi and minimums.

dabask11 wrote:
An excellent plan never involves having to use a good portion of the cap space to pay KCP. Lakers were a bit lucky Danny Green decided to wait on kawhi's decision or they could really have been left with nothing.

These are the kind of statements that are just ignorant. First you act like you know so much more than the entire Laker staff of experts, with essentially no direct involvement in any strategy development or negotiations. You just complain after the fact, acting like you would have done so much better. Second, when they do something that you must concede is correct, they were just lucky.

dabask11 wrote:
Still, the lakers somehow ended up with a team that has a shot to win the title. However, it's more of a "everything has to go perfectly" kind of shot. We're not the clear favorites, which is why I don't like having the 2021 plan looming around. The lakers would be in a worse position with an even greater chance of striking out while limiting the opportunity the team has to win the title.

Somehow, they just ended up with a championship caliber team. Those morons over there in the Laker offices, while they were all just bumbling around, somehow ended up with a team we can really get excited about. No doubt if you were running the show the Lakers would be in a much better position.

All I can say is you keep on whining. I'm excited. I love the Lakers. And barring any serious injury, we are going to be in the hunt for a championship. And this coming season is going to be one of the most exciting seasons in NBA history. Get on board my friend. It is going to be a great show.
l4kerz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:51 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
epak wrote:
We all did.
He'll pay for it.

If anyone thought that he was coming here after the report he tried getting KD to join him with the Clippers then they were being blindly optimistic.

report? that was a rumor that no knew if it was fake news or not
l4kerz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:56 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Obviously I wish we had better intel. That being said, we did the right thing at the time. You go after him to try to form an all time trio of LBJ/AD/KL. Very Dr. Buss to go that way.

Again, we had bad intel. And so did the Raps who won a ring with him and had the chance to court him for a year.

There is no intel for this. He went through all the motions with the objective to join the clippers and delay the Lakers and Raptors from moving forward.
l4kerz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:59 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:
mookielala wrote:
We got played, but I think KL would have come here if the PG trade didn't go through.

Your guess is as good as mine, but he played us.

I doubt that. If he wanted championships and legacy, Lakers with AD and Lebron is superior than pairing with PG.

How does the NBA prevent the Clippers from giving Uncle Dennis an extra $200M?
l4kerz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:04 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
Which is worst?

PG not giving the Lakers a meeting?

Kawhi giving Lakers a meeting but really just using the Lakers so he could meet with PG around the same area with no intention of signing with the Lakers anyway?

this shouldnt even be up for debate. PG13 did nothing wrong IMO. Yes it was disappointing he didnt sign with us but he had free will to sign where-ever he wanted and he did it the right way by not leading other teams on.
Kawhi had free will as well and I would have respected his decision but how he lead on other teams was very shady. I truly dont think he did it to intentionally screw us over... he was just trying to keep his options open but FFS Man up and just sign with the Clippers right away if thats what you want and then worry about getting another star after the fact.

Just hours before the PG trade, K was asking Lakers he needed more time. That is shady as you say.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:10 pm    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
drae wrote:
kwase wrote:
He's still coming to the Lakers, after lebron goes away. He can leave the clippers in 2 years.

He and his suspect knees are no longer welcome in Lakernation, along with PG and Dwight. There's other free agents to go after in 2 years

2021 is a significantly worse class than this year though, especially if you take out PG+KL.

Giannis is the only one worth it and he'll be harder to get than KL+not a great fit to AD.

Beal will be available and I think he'd be a great fit with AD. He's the same age as AD too, so they'll both be 28 in 2 years. An AD/Beal/Kuz trio in their prime would be a championship core you can build around.

Beal at that time would be more akin to walker/dlo/butler/middleton right now aka guys who got overpaid. If he was that good then the wizards make the playoffs last year.

And that’s if he’s not snatched up while they make Giannis plan A

That roster is terrible. Replace Beal with any player in the league and they aren't making the playoffs. I don't even know who Beal's best teammate was. Dwight? Ariza? Otto Porter? At 25 he just put up 25.6ppg/5.5apg/5rpg. Played all 82 games last 2 seasons in a row. He's a legitimate all-star. I think we're just spoiled and used to having superstars

He played in the east though. That excuse works in the west but not in the east. It shouldn’t be difficult to make the playoffs or be around .500 even with such talent if he were that good. There were teams last year 10 games under .500 able to crawl back and make the playoffs in the conference.

Again, I don't think any player in the league would be able to drag a team to the playoffs with a broken Dwight Howard as their 2nd best player. Not Giannis. Not Kawhi. Not Harden. Not Lebron. Not Steph. No one. That's a garbage roster even in the east.

Dlo and Vucevic dragged their garbage rosters to the playoffs. Kemba’s team fought to the end. Washington finished 18 games under .500 last year so again no excuse for beal’s lack of impact given it’s still the east.

That's a reach. Aaron Gordon is better than any 2nd option Beal had. And Brooklyn had Dinwiddie for 68 games and Levert for half a season, not to mention Demarre Carroll, RHJ, and Jarrett Allen who are all good role players. If you think DLo could have carried a team to the playoffs with Trevor Ariza as his best teammate than you're really just hating on Beal, which is weird.
quartzcharm
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:16 pm    Post subject:

If the Lakers only win 4 games this year, I hope all 4 are against the Clippers...

And in a blowout/public humiliation type of way.
Fourplay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:03 am    Post subject:

We should have known that he wasn’t on the level when the whole My Uncle Dennis wants to only talk to magic and Jeannie crap happened. We will deal with Kiwi later and uncle Dennis
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:53 am    Post subject:

gooner wrote:
dabask11 wrote:

Honestly, I don't get this. They look like fools because of how it naturally comes across. What does that even mean?

By simply waiting on kawhi's leonard decision and having the clipper's PG trade be the deciding factor, it's going to come across naturally the lakers look like fools in the situation. The clippers signed their max free agent and the lakers struck out because all the quality FA's they could have signed were gone by then. The last point is important because by not having FA's to sign, the lakers look like they got played by the clippers whether it's true or not.

If the lakers had taken control like the knicks, then they don't have this image that got played by kawhi's camp/clippers.

gooner wrote:
dabask11 wrote:

I suspect because Kawhi didn't inform the Knicks that they were a serious consideration. But I only suspect. I wasn't privy to the Knicks conversations with Kawhi and his representatives.

Regardless of the conversations, it's been reported the knicks backed out on their own free will at the end of the day. They felt they would end up in fourth place and lose the remaining players they wanted had they decided to went on with the meeting. Ultimately, it was their own decision to back out, which is why they get the benefit of the doubt in this one situation.

gooner wrote:
dabask11 wrote:

So what would you do to vet Kawhi's camp while he is telling you that your team is in the running for his services? And it obviously wasn't too late. As I said before, this is a championship contending team.

Give his camp a deadline and move on to plan b on your terms rather than his. Once they landed AD, the lakers should have acted like they controlled their destiny and mapped out multiple ways to use the cap space within a decent time frame. Key word is control. Targeting kawhi should have still been plan A, but with a deadline and moving on to plan b if he wasn't going to meet it. The lakers didn't need kawhi leonard to potentially win a championship this year as evidenced by the fact you feel this team is still a contender despite some of the moves. By waiting for kawhi before executing plan b, however, the lakers showed they needed him instead and opened the door to be danced on the palm of his hand.

The Lakers weren't the clippers, who had been following/linked to him for a year or the raptors, who he had just won them a championship. They had no choice but to follow the kawhi saga till the end. However, the lakers had options beside kawhi after landing AD, which is where the argument lies on whether it was truly a good thing to pursue him to the end.

gooner wrote:
dabask11 wrote:

It is. You apparently want to just complain. There are many who believe that using the additional cap space money was better spent on filling out a deeper roster, rather than having Lebron, AD, Kawhi and minimums.

And many believe filling out a deeper roster doesn't involve overpaying KCP.

gooner wrote:
dabask11 wrote:

These are the kind of statements that are just ignorant. First you act like you know so much more than the entire Laker staff of experts, with essentially no direct involvement in any strategy development or negotiations. You just complain after the fact, acting like you would have done so much better. Second, when they do something that you must concede is correct, they were just lucky.

What negotiations do you need to know overpaying KCP is a terrible idea? If the end result is garbage then who cares how they got there? In danny green's case, he was obviously waiting for kawhi leonard's decision after winning a championship. The lakers got a bit lucky since he could have easily accepted another offer earlier had the lakers continued waiting while tieing up their capspace

gooner wrote:
dabask11 wrote:

Somehow, they just ended up with a championship caliber team. Those morons over there in the Laker offices, while they were all just bumbling around, somehow ended up with a team we can really get excited about. No doubt if you were running the show the Lakers would be in a much better position.

All I can say is you keep on whining. I'm excited. I love the Lakers. And barring any serious injury, we are going to be in the hunt for a championship. And this coming season is going to be one of the most exciting seasons in NBA history. Get on board my friend. It is going to be a great show.

They ended up with a potential championship contender by doing other things besides signing max stars in FA this year. Instead of realizing this, they're placing themselves to try and do it again in 2021, only in a worse position. It's worrisome that by trying to make a run at a championship and keeping flexibility for max FA's at the same time, they might limit their chances at both.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:58 am    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
dabask11 wrote:

An expert strategist doesn't get hustled or look like they got hustled by somebody else. If kawhi was disingenuous, it's the onus on the FO to recognize it and pivot before it's too late, something they didn't do properly. An expert strategist may shoot for the moon, but he recognizes when or when not to do so.

Are you implying that you are an expert strategist who would recognize another expert strategist if you saw one?

I'd never call expert strategist fools, which is something you can say about the Lakers FO in regards to the Kawhi situation.
4stargeneralbulldog
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:12 am    Post subject:

Don't worry guys, our Laker insiders on this message board will tell us that the Lakers are all but certain they will sign Giannis in 2021! Trust the process and be patient!
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:43 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
drae wrote:
kwase wrote:
He's still coming to the Lakers, after lebron goes away. He can leave the clippers in 2 years.

He and his suspect knees are no longer welcome in Lakernation, along with PG and Dwight. There's other free agents to go after in 2 years

2021 is a significantly worse class than this year though, especially if you take out PG+KL.

Giannis is the only one worth it and he'll be harder to get than KL+not a great fit to AD.

Beal will be available and I think he'd be a great fit with AD. He's the same age as AD too, so they'll both be 28 in 2 years. An AD/Beal/Kuz trio in their prime would be a championship core you can build around.

Beal at that time would be more akin to walker/dlo/butler/middleton right now aka guys who got overpaid. If he was that good then the wizards make the playoffs last year.

And that’s if he’s not snatched up while they make Giannis plan A

That roster is terrible. Replace Beal with any player in the league and they aren't making the playoffs. I don't even know who Beal's best teammate was. Dwight? Ariza? Otto Porter? At 25 he just put up 25.6ppg/5.5apg/5rpg. Played all 82 games last 2 seasons in a row. He's a legitimate all-star. I think we're just spoiled and used to having superstars

He played in the east though. That excuse works in the west but not in the east. It shouldn’t be difficult to make the playoffs or be around .500 even with such talent if he were that good. There were teams last year 10 games under .500 able to crawl back and make the playoffs in the conference.

Again, I don't think any player in the league would be able to drag a team to the playoffs with a broken Dwight Howard as their 2nd best player. Not Giannis. Not Kawhi. Not Harden. Not Lebron. Not Steph. No one. That's a garbage roster even in the east.

Dlo and Vucevic dragged their garbage rosters to the playoffs. Kemba’s team fought to the end. Washington finished 18 games under .500 last year so again no excuse for beal’s lack of impact given it’s still the east.

That's a reach. Aaron Gordon is better than any 2nd option Beal had. And Brooklyn had Dinwiddie for 68 games and Levert for half a season, not to mention Demarre Carroll, RHJ, and Jarrett Allen who are all good role players. If you think DLo could have carried a team to the playoffs with Trevor Ariza as his best teammate than you're really just hating on Beal, which is weird.

Aaron Gordon was barely better than Otto Porter in his quick stint at washington this year. They even traded porter for portis/parker, which is decent enough to make a little run. Washington also had Bryant, who everyone says we let go too early. Satoransky is not bad as well.

Dinwiddie still missed time and Levert wasn't even close to himself until the end of the season. Carroll/RHJ either sucked or were injured and Allen was a finisher. The nets were 8-18 at one point while only missing levert, so they weren't viewed as talented afterwards.

I'm not saying Beal is terrible. I'm just questioning if his impact is worth the paying the max in 2 years, especially given how some here only considered KL/KI/KD/KT worth it while players like Walker/Butler/Dlo were not. While Beal didn't have enough talent to make a serious impact, we're still talking about the east where teams like miami were fighting to the end without stars while his team finished 18 games under .500.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:48 am    Post subject:

I hope Nike wins the lawsuit.

Just do it.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:51 am    Post subject:

Aw, our poor little front office filled with NBA management experts felt like they got played. Boo hoo

Welcome to the big leagues. Not for the faint of heart.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:25 am    Post subject:

FWIW, he used our weakness against us.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:42 am    Post subject:

This, among other things, is what can happen when the players have power.

Give the teams the power, and they’ll do the same thing at times when its convenient for them too.

Both sides should commit in the first hour next time.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:43 am    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:

I'll make it simpler than this. Three teams thought they had a shot at Leonard. Two of them were going to lose. It is difficult to imagine what Leonard could possibly have said to the Lakers to deceive them about this. "I'm really, really super interested in you, but I'm not going to sign with you right now because I'm still considering a couple other teams. But I'm really, really super interested in you! I'll get back to you in a few days." Unless the Lakers FO is really stupid, they must have realized that there was a possibility that we were being used for leverage. I mean, it's not like that hasn't happened before.

On the other hand, I suspect that the front office consciously decided not to pursue the other max FA candidates. I think they knew Durant and Irving were going to team up somewhere. I think they assessed Butler and Walker as not worth the money. They weren't worried about the third tier free agents, because none of them were going to sign two year contracts. So we ended up going on a dumpster dive and launching the 2021 plan to pursue Giannis. That's a whole different subject.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 5 of 24
Jump to: