Lakers felt they got played by Kawhi (Leonard responds: “Lakers didn’t have to wait for me” pg.17)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
laker50
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 Mar 2014
Posts: 1858

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers got played like a piano.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 27 Dec 2012
Posts: 1585

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
drae wrote:
kwase wrote:
He's still coming to the Lakers, after lebron goes away. He can leave the clippers in 2 years.


He and his suspect knees are no longer welcome in Lakernation, along with PG and Dwight. There's other free agents to go after in 2 years


2021 is a significantly worse class than this year though, especially if you take out PG+KL.

Giannis is the only one worth it and he'll be harder to get than KL+not a great fit to AD.


Beal will be available and I think he'd be a great fit with AD. He's the same age as AD too, so they'll both be 28 in 2 years. An AD/Beal/Kuz trio in their prime would be a championship core you can build around.


Beal at that time would be more akin to walker/dlo/butler/middleton right now aka guys who got overpaid. If he was that good then the wizards make the playoffs last year.

And that’s if he’s not snatched up while they make Giannis plan A


That roster is terrible. Replace Beal with any player in the league and they aren't making the playoffs. I don't even know who Beal's best teammate was. Dwight? Ariza? Otto Porter? At 25 he just put up 25.6ppg/5.5apg/5rpg. Played all 82 games last 2 seasons in a row. He's a legitimate all-star. I think we're just spoiled and used to having superstars


He played in the east though. That excuse works in the west but not in the east. It shouldn’t be difficult to make the playoffs or be around .500 even with such talent if he were that good. There were teams last year 10 games under .500 able to crawl back and make the playoffs in the conference.


Again, I don't think any player in the league would be able to drag a team to the playoffs with a broken Dwight Howard as their 2nd best player. Not Giannis. Not Kawhi. Not Harden. Not Lebron. Not Steph. No one. That's a garbage roster even in the east.


Dlo and Vucevic dragged their garbage rosters to the playoffs. Kemba’s team fought to the end. Washington finished 18 games under .500 last year so again no excuse for beal’s lack of impact given it’s still the east.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Apr 2001
Posts: 137244
Location: The Gold Coast

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
kwase wrote:
He's still coming to the Lakers, after lebron goes away. He can leave the clippers in 2 years.


He and his suspect knees are no longer welcome in Lakernation, along with PG and Dwight. There's other free agents to go after in 2 years


You think that the Lakers are going to tell Klutch no in 2 years? More likely is another Kobe-type of contract.
_________________
“I loved playing music to his words” - John Densmore on Jim Morrison
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 27 Dec 2012
Posts: 1585

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject:

gooner wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
They should feel like they got played, because they did get played. The front office should not be resting on its laurels just because they were able to rebound from the kl disaster. They need to figure out how to get the franchise front office image back to where it used to be during Dr. Buss' leadership. They blew their first chance by not bringing back Jerry West or some other top veteran front office consultant/executive to help out Pelinka. They need to work to improve and not just feel comfortable in thinking the Laker brand will be enough.


Sorry dude but I really don’t understand the negative attitude. Are you really a Laker fan? The Lakers didn’t rebound. They executed a very good contingency plan. WE HAVE LEBRON! WE HAVE AD! WE KEPT KUZMA! WE HAVE COUSINS! WE HAVE GREEN!

This coming season, we are a serous contender. Sheesh.


Because it still doesn’t change the fact the Laker’s FO got played like fools by kawhi’s camp. This wouldn’t be too much of a problem if we weren’t planning to execute the same plan 2 years later.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Apr 2001
Posts: 137244
Location: The Gold Coast

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject:

mookielala wrote:
We got played, but I think KL would have come here if the PG trade didn't go through.


Leonard is on Lebron’s level, he wasn’t coming here to play second fiddle.
_________________
“I loved playing music to his words” - John Densmore on Jim Morrison
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Jan 2010
Posts: 33505

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject:

Kahwi played me but I'll have the last laugh when his gimpy leg starts getting all gimpy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 26 Dec 2018
Posts: 1855

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject:

Henceforth... I will only be referring to Kawhi as Kawaii (#2 is too vague)... and Paul George as Paula George, or simply Paula.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakersInFour
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 16 Apr 2001
Posts: 6605
Location: Central Valley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject:

Honestly, who cares about Kawhi and Paul George anymore?

Kawhi is from Moreno Valley, and played college ball in San Diego. Paul George is from Palmdale, and played college ball in Fresno. Both of them probably always felt spurned by the big glamour market of LA, both went to college in California towns that have this "little brother" complex to Los Angeles. Both of them played in small market backwater NBA cities that hate the Lakers and their fans. So they somehow feel they are going to stick it to the glamour NBA franchise in the Lakers, and play for the clown team in LA and to try to give it some legitimacy.

I think both of these dudes are drinking their own kool-aid, and seriously underestimate the LA fanbase. LA is a Laker town, and if these clowns believe people are going to love them in the local market because they enjoy some success for the Clippers, they have another thing coming. Maybe the national media and NBA fans will give them accolades, but they ain't getting no love in LA, outside of Clipper Daryl and other the 12 Clipper fans that live in market.

They are going to get booed and disrespected in public. I doubt either one of them finishes their career in a Clipper uniform - they are going to be very upset at the way they are received by fans in the greater LA market, and they will opt to leave and play elsewhere after a while.
_________________
"It’s like going to the Getty and standing in front of Van Gogh’s Irises while some schmuck next to you critiques individual brush strokes. Just shut up already. The more you talk, the more you embarrass yourself."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 07 Jul 2001
Posts: 15791

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
mookielala wrote:
We got played, but I think KL would have come here if the PG trade didn't go through.


Leonard is on Lebron’s level, he wasn’t coming here to play second fiddle.

This is the first year Kawhi has the pressure as top 3 player in the NBA something bron has had to deal with for past 12 years. We’ll see how Kawhi handles it
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 27 Mar 2005
Posts: 17797

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
drae wrote:
kwase wrote:
He's still coming to the Lakers, after lebron goes away. He can leave the clippers in 2 years.


He and his suspect knees are no longer welcome in Lakernation, along with PG and Dwight. There's other free agents to go after in 2 years


You think that the Lakers are going to tell Klutch no in 2 years? More likely is another Kobe-type of contract.


Only if he wins a title.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 16 Feb 2016
Posts: 1543
Location: Western PA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject:

It's quite possible that Kawhi Leonard's stock will never be as high as it is right now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DrDent
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 30 Jun 2016
Posts: 4415

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject:

Beir32 wrote:
It's quite possible that Kawhi Leonard's stock will never be as high as it is right now.


I see where you're going with this and agree. There's a chance - a slight chance - he fulfills the destiny West sold him on (likely "be the guy who makes this a Clippers town"). But it's too far gone. My prediction is after this run of theirs has some of its steam let out, Ballmer will realize that no matter how hard he tries, Seattle is a better City for his team than LA.

Purple and Gold runs deep in this town.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
hype
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Nov 2007
Posts: 1810
Location: Mission Viejo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Kahwi played me but I'll have the last laugh when his gimpy leg starts getting all gimpy


It already is really.. After all that extended rest and not playing for the Spurs and then getting tons of games off during the regular season he still barely made it through the finals where he was mostly an elite decoy for the final 2 games.

It was still a no brainer to max him up this off season obviously but in 2 years IDK if i'd even want to drop a full max deal on him unless his health shows some extreme improvement. That has all the potential to be a Chris Paul level horrible contract real quick even though he still wont be very old imo.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Pureshot77
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 23 May 2008
Posts: 240

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
It's quite possible that Kawhi Leonard's stock will never be as high as it is right now.


I see where you're going with this and agree. There's a chance - a slight chance - he fulfills the destiny West sold him on (likely "be the guy who makes this a Clippers town"). But it's too far gone. My prediction is after this run of theirs has some of its steam let out, Ballmer will realize that no matter how hard he tries, Seattle is a better City for his team than LA.

Purple and Gold runs deep in this town.


He's betting on himself with the shorter term contract.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 08 Jun 2008
Posts: 6044

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
ReaListik wrote:
The report comes out that he asks Toronto for everything to an almost ridiculous degree, they accommodate, then he bails on them. There’s negotiation and there’s being a manipulative douche, he’s a manipulative douche.



Are you talking about the TSN report that Kawhi made some "unreasonable requests" that the Raptors "wouldn't have been capable of fulfilling some of the reportedly unusual requests."

I have no idea what that means or what he asked for. I'm also not sure what you mean that the Raptors gave him everything he asked for, since reportedly one of the things he asked for was for them to trade for Paul George.


He knew the whole time where he wanted to go, and led other teams on along the way in part to screw them over. He knew what he was doing. The Raptors feeling like a bride left at the alter after he made all these requests combined with what he did to OKC and the Lakers is (bleep) up.
_________________
"We are the goodest." - Shaq ESPN interview
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
gooner
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 10 Sep 2012
Posts: 437

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
gooner wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
They should feel like they got played, because they did get played. The front office should not be resting on its laurels just because they were able to rebound from the kl disaster. They need to figure out how to get the franchise front office image back to where it used to be during Dr. Buss' leadership. They blew their first chance by not bringing back Jerry West or some other top veteran front office consultant/executive to help out Pelinka. They need to work to improve and not just feel comfortable in thinking the Laker brand will be enough.


Sorry dude but I really don’t understand the negative attitude. Are you really a Laker fan? The Lakers didn’t rebound. They executed a very good contingency plan. WE HAVE LEBRON! WE HAVE AD! WE KEPT KUZMA! WE HAVE COUSINS! WE HAVE GREEN!

This coming season, we are a serous contender. Sheesh.


Because it still doesn’t change the fact the Laker’s FO got played like fools by kawhi’s camp. This wouldn’t be too much of a problem if we weren’t planning to execute the same plan 2 years later.


It is not a fact that the Lakers got played as fools. The problem is that they felt Kawhi "played them." That is different. That means they felt Kawhi was disingenuous during the negotiations.

While Kawhi may have been disingenuous, the Lakers were not fools. The front office did exactly what any expert strategist would do. Shoot for the best option but have a solid, executable contingency plan. That is exactly what they did.

And the FACT that they had an excellent contingency plan, plus the FACT that they put together a team that many rank as title favorites after completely missing the playoffs the previous year, testifies to their competency.

Do you understand this? Today, we have a team that has a potential to win it all next season. What do you freaking want?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LaZonaImagery
Sixth Man
Sixth Man


Joined: 15 Jun 2013
Posts: 82

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject:

This sounds like sour grapes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 26 Dec 2018
Posts: 1855

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:

He's betting on himself with the shorter term contract.

Betting on his dodgy quad/thigh is more like it.

gooner wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
gooner wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
They should feel like they got played, because they did get played. The front office should not be resting on its laurels just because they were able to rebound from the kl disaster. They need to figure out how to get the franchise front office image back to where it used to be during Dr. Buss' leadership. They blew their first chance by not bringing back Jerry West or some other top veteran front office consultant/executive to help out Pelinka. They need to work to improve and not just feel comfortable in thinking the Laker brand will be enough.


Sorry dude but I really don’t understand the negative attitude. Are you really a Laker fan? The Lakers didn’t rebound. They executed a very good contingency plan. WE HAVE LEBRON! WE HAVE AD! WE KEPT KUZMA! WE HAVE COUSINS! WE HAVE GREEN!

This coming season, we are a serous contender. Sheesh.


Because it still doesn’t change the fact the Laker’s FO got played like fools by kawhi’s camp. This wouldn’t be too much of a problem if we weren’t planning to execute the same plan 2 years later.


It is not a fact that the Lakers got played as fools. The problem is that they felt Kawhi "played them." That is different. That means they felt Kawhi was disingenuous during the negotiations.

While Kawhi may have been disingenuous, the Lakers were not fools. The front office did exactly what any expert strategist would do. Shoot for the best option but have a solid, executable contingency plan. That is exactly what they did.

And the FACT that they had an excellent contingency plan, plus the FACT that they put together a team that many rank as title favorites after completely missing the playoffs the previous year, testifies to their competency.

Do you understand this? Today, we have a team that has a potential to win it all next season. What do you freaking want?

+1


Last edited by LAL1947 on Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:38 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 29355

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject:

ReaListik wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ReaListik wrote:
The report comes out that he asks Toronto for everything to an almost ridiculous degree, they accommodate, then he bails on them. There’s negotiation and there’s being a manipulative douche, he’s a manipulative douche.



Are you talking about the TSN report that Kawhi made some "unreasonable requests" that the Raptors "wouldn't have been capable of fulfilling some of the reportedly unusual requests."

I have no idea what that means or what he asked for. I'm also not sure what you mean that the Raptors gave him everything he asked for, since reportedly one of the things he asked for was for them to trade for Paul George.


He knew the whole time where he wanted to go, and led other teams on along the way in part to screw them over. He knew what he was doing. The Raptors feeling like a bride left at the alter after he made all these requests combined with what he did to OKC and the Lakers is (bleep) up.



I disagree with your assumption that he did this to screw anyone over.

I do think he had a preferred destination. He was negotiating with three teams to see what he could get, and when he got what he wanted from the preferred destination (the acquisition of George) he signed with them.

You might believe that is leading people on. I think it's just a standard negotiation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Wvc0925
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 29 Nov 2017
Posts: 321

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject:

chekmatex4 wrote:
So who did we lose out on by waiting for Kawhi? The contracts some of the guys Lakers were reportedly interested in weren't going to be matched by the Lakers. Seth Curry for 4 years, $32m? Terrence Ross for 4 years, $54m? Seems like Lakers were only offering 2 year deals for the chance of getting Giannis.


Waiting for Giannis? Lol pipe dream. Lakers going to fall for that a 3rd time?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 26 Dec 2018
Posts: 1855

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject:

Wvc0925 wrote:
chekmatex4 wrote:
So who did we lose out on by waiting for Kawhi? The contracts some of the guys Lakers were reportedly interested in weren't going to be matched by the Lakers. Seth Curry for 4 years, $32m? Terrence Ross for 4 years, $54m? Seems like Lakers were only offering 2 year deals for the chance of getting Giannis.


Waiting for Giannis? Lol pipe dream. Lakers going to fall for that a 3rd time?

You know what they say... the 3rd time's a charm!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 Oct 2012
Posts: 4007

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject:

lakers did fine. yea we didnt get EVERYONE but we did good.
kawhi is overrated, just like lebron is. no big deal. im not saying they are bad, just overrated because of the godly hype around them.
the one we really missed out on is pg, IMO. he's underrated.
but even that, so what. our team is good.

all is good now. my main resentment has always been veto.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 08 Jun 2008
Posts: 6044

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
ReaListik wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ReaListik wrote:
The report comes out that he asks Toronto for everything to an almost ridiculous degree, they accommodate, then he bails on them. There’s negotiation and there’s being a manipulative douche, he’s a manipulative douche.



Are you talking about the TSN report that Kawhi made some "unreasonable requests" that the Raptors "wouldn't have been capable of fulfilling some of the reportedly unusual requests."

I have no idea what that means or what he asked for. I'm also not sure what you mean that the Raptors gave him everything he asked for, since reportedly one of the things he asked for was for them to trade for Paul George.


He knew the whole time where he wanted to go, and led other teams on along the way in part to screw them over. He knew what he was doing. The Raptors feeling like a bride left at the alter after he made all these requests combined with what he did to OKC and the Lakers is (bleep) up.



I disagree with your assumption that he did this to screw anyone over.

I do think he had a preferred destination. He was negotiating with three teams to see what he could get, and when he got what he wanted from the preferred destination (the acquisition of George) he signed with them.

You might believe that is leading people on. I think it's just a standard negotiation.


It’s not an assumption, it’s what directly resulted from his actions. The Lakers knew what was at risk and were willing to gamble because they felt very confident they were getting him, but he was apparently being disingenuous in his meetings as he was playing chess leading other teams to believe they had a shot at him. Negotiations and misleading are not the same. He misled teams to believe one thing and behind the scenes did another. It’s deceptive as hell and doesn’t speak well of this guy.
_________________
"We are the goodest." - Shaq ESPN interview
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 29355

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject:

delete

Last edited by activeverb on Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 29355

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject:

ReaListik wrote:


It’s not an assumption, it’s what directly resulted from his actions. The Lakers knew what was at risk and were willing to gamble because they felt very confident they were getting him, but he was apparently being disingenuous in his meetings as he was playing chess leading other teams to believe they had a shot at him. Negotiations and misleading are not the same. He misled teams to believe one thing and behind the scenes did another. It’s deceptive as hell and doesn’t speak well of this guy.




We don't actually know what he said in meetings of course, but I've seen no reporting that he lied to anyone.

My impression is that Kawhi made a laundry list of demands to Toronto and asked the Lakers to delay the AD deal while telling the Clippers he'd sign with them if they snag George.

Personally, I don't think that's unreasonable, and I don't think he had any responsibility to tell any of the teams his thinking about the other contenders for his services.

I could see that being unethical if he kept negotiating with a team while absolutely deciding they were out of the running, but I see no way of knowing that was the case.


Last edited by activeverb on Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 4 of 24
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB