Lakers hiring Mike Penberthy as shooting coach
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject:

The Sniper! (in the Kevin Harlan voice)
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject:

I liked him

Ex-Hoover star Mike Penberthy now ‘Shot Whisperer’ to NBA players
By Marek Warszawski
June 06, 2016 07:37 PM, Updated June 06, 2016 09:20 PM
https://www.fresnobee.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/marek-warszawski/article82181212.html

Quote:

His playing days in the past, the 41-year-old Penberthy has developed a second career as a private shooting coach. The Timberwolves, who employed Penberthy full-time during the 2014-15 season to help develop their young roster, referred to him as “The Shot Whisperer.”

Rather than stay on another year, Penberthy opted to return to his family in Valencia and a list of clients that includes Fresno State product Paul George, Reggie Jackson, Jrue Holiday, Khris Middleton, Evan Turner and Ricky Rubio.

I don’t think there’s ever been a time when the game of basketball is more skilled.

Mike Penberthy

“I get calls probably once every three months for an opportunity in the NBA, but it would have to be the right situation because my private business is so successful,” Penberthy said recently.

“I definitely can’t have any more clients. I could do more social media and stuff like that to be more well-known, but that’s not my goal. I like the anonymity, and the players like it, too.

“I’m kind of the ghost in the background. I’d rather be that guy.”

Penberthy doesn’t just instruct NBA players. He also hosts a series of elite development camps for youths ages 9 to 18, including one at Fresno Christian High from June 20-23.

To understand why Penberthy’s services are in such high demand, simply flip on any basketball game.

Never before has shooting, and specifically the three-pointer, been a larger, more significant part of the sport. It’s no coincidence the NBA’s two best teams from beyond the arc, the Warriors and Cavaliers, reached the Finals.

“I don’t think there’s ever been a time when the game of basketball is more skilled,” Penberthy said. “Basketball is a skill game, and it’s good to see that side coming back instead of it being all about how tall you are and how high you can jump.”

Listed at 6-foot-3, Penberthy wasn’t all that tall compared to most basketball players. Nor was he a supreme athlete. But the guy could certainly shoot, as attested by the 50-40-90 mark (50 percent on field goals, 40 percent on threes, 90 percent on free throws) he averaged over an eight-year pro career in Europe.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject:

Wow, never thought I’d see him again. In his brief time in the NBA he was able to shoot extremely well. Sucks for him that he didn’t play in the postseason in 2001.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject:

Welcome back Mike!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Another former Pelican (as coach).

And of course, a former Laker.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:

let’s hope Mike P helps KCP and Rondo become a more consistent shooter

Last edited by Inspector Gadget on Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
I have no idea if he's better than Lethal Shooter or if Lethal Shooter is even as good as his Insta would suggest.

What I like is that we finally have a dedicated shooting coach, who can shoot and who has experience at his job while players can still have access to Lethal Shooter as much as they want.

Why this took so many years and endless clanks is beyond me.

I couldn't imagine a baseball team without a dedicated hitting or pitching coach.

#NoMoreBricks
#NoMoreDeadBananas

We did have Tracy Murray a few years ago under Byron Scott, but he made no difference

Luke Walton was seriously insecure as hell about hiring competent assistants.

lol this is such a stupid thing to say. Just because you made up some kind of explanation for the shortcomings of his staff doesn't make it true. I don't understand the point of just making stuff up like that.

Hi Luke. How are things in Sacramento?
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:24 pm    Post subject:

MP3
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
Judah wrote:
Ziggy wrote:

lol this is such a stupid thing to say. Just because you made up some kind of explanation for the shortcomings of his staff doesn't make it true. I don't understand the point of just making stuff up like that.

Btw, does anyone know what happened to the sexual assault case filed against Luke? At the time, it seemed like Kelli Tennant was trying to use the #MeToo movement to extract money from him instead of being true to its actual, more noble purpose. The last I read, she was even trying to add the Lakers as a defendant in her case (lolwut), which is one reason (among a few others) why I'm lead to believe this is all about the money. I'm not judging either, accuser and accused are both innocent until one is proven guilty and all that. Just curious about what has happened since is all.

Last edited by LAL1947 on Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:07 am; edited 5 times in total
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:04 pm    Post subject:

He was the ultimate name that Laker guy. Glad he's back with the organization.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: Lakers hiring Mike Penberthy as shooting coach

Inspector Gadget wrote:
https://mobile.twitter.com/mcten/status/1152683737437491201

Great! I'm thrilled we have our own shooting coach... there is less left to chance, in terms of expecting players to go out and hire their own... and because having one around 24/7 means he'll be able to observe and tweak anything that needs to be for everyone. Rob & Co are knocking this off-season out of the ballpark AFAIC. Now it's up to the players and coaches to follow through.
Do it Mitch!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:31 am    Post subject:

Likeable Laker from back in the day. Will be cool to have him on the staff. Glad to see the Lakers hire a shooting coach. Has been a fan gripe for a few years now.
l4kerz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:42 am    Post subject:

at least improve FT%. Kidd can share his technique too.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:29 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
Up in Santa Clarita where I live, Penberthy has basketball camps. I remember him and from what I remember, so me say he was a better shooter than even Ray Allen, Reggie Miller. And he won a title or two.
In other words, if you can't shoot, he can help.

I know the stats don't show him on par with Steve Kerr, for example, but his treys all looked like they were on line if he got 2 feet planted. It made it appear that he almost never missed. Everyone used to say that from a lot of us here, to Stu and Chick themselves, to his teammates. It was a running joke, but he was a good shooter. Just couldn't defend a lick.

Just sucks that they finally decide that player development personnel are important only after we had 30 rookies pass thru the doors and that shooting personnel are important only after they pick up competent shooters. Guh... Lonzo and Ingram? No shooting coach. Danny Green and Quinn Cook? Shooting coach. True to the Buss kids' tradition of doing everything ass backwards. And experienced coaches after we get experienced players. Or sub-coaches to threaten the higher coaches' positions unlike By and Luke doin whatever the F they wanted w/o the slightest hiccup from Jeanie. It's like Bizarro Basketball Land.

Kidd can join the sessions, too! It's never too late.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:43 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Wow, never thought I’d see him again. In his brief time in the NBA he was able to shoot extremely well. Sucks for him that he didn’t play in the postseason in 2001.

Rider didn't either. I think he was actually cut from the playoff roster by Phil. Rumor has it he cried and pleaded, but Phillip was Phillip. Mike had nothing to be ashamed of if the guy who killed Eddie Jones only a few years earlier in the playoffs couldn't get in there either.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:46 am    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
I have no idea if he's better than Lethal Shooter or if Lethal Shooter is even as good as his Insta would suggest.

What I like is that we finally have a dedicated shooting coach,
who can shoot and who has experience at his job while players can still have access to Lethal Shooter as much as they want.

I couldn't imagine a baseball team without a dedicated hitting or pitching coach.

#NoMoreBricks
#NoMoreDeadBananas

On the 50th anniversary of man walking on the moon. It took the Lakers' as long as it took NASA, hahah. That's so fitting. That's one small step for Penberthy....one giant leap for Laker org...
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:51 am    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:

Btw, does anyone know what happened to the sexual assault case filed against Luke? At the time, it seemed like Kelli Tennant was trying to use the #MeToo movement to extract money from him instead of being true to its actual, more noble purpose. The last I read, she was even trying to add the Lakers as a defendant in her case (lolwut), which is one reason (among a few others) why I'm lead to believe this is all about the money. I'm not judging either, accuser and accused are both innocent until one is proven guilty and all that. Just curious about what has happened since is all.

The fact that yet another sex scandal didn't befall the Laker org is perhaps an indication that the Curse Of Chick has been lifted. After we finally got one of those to shift to an eternal enemy's watch, we start pickin up all kinda new staff and decent-to-great players. What's goin on here?!

Last edited by non-player zealot on Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:58 am; edited 2 times in total
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:59 am    Post subject:

Champions Club with Charles Barkley (link). Note the Mike Penberthy reference.

--Anonymous
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:05 am    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
Champions Club with Charles Barkley (link). Note the Mike Penberthy reference.

"Zan Tabak is goin NUTS in here!" "Jack Haley said don't letchu in!"

Lolz at "Fennis Dembo is askin about you!"
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:55 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
Judah wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:

What I like is that we finally have a dedicated shooting coach, who can shoot and who has experience at his job while players can still have access to Lethal Shooter as much as they want.

#NoMoreBricks
#NoMoreDeadBananas

We did have Tracy Murray a few years ago under Byron Scott, but he made no difference

This is obviously an admission that you can't defend your assertion.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:58 am    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
Better than not even having a shooting coach. Not sure how he performed these last 2 years as a shooting coach in Minnesota and NOP

Julius shot much better from the 3 last season, don't know if that's partly due to MP3's help.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:37 am    Post subject:

Welcome back, dude!

Once a Laker, always a Laker.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Supposedly lakers wanted lethal shooter but he doesn’t want to be tied down by any one team.

Welcome back penberthy!

Quote:
Lethal Shooter

@LethalShooter__
·
10h

LethalShooter doesn’t ever come before a organization. I’ve built this company over the last 5years training the top NBA players The Art of Shooting. Do you think I would give it up to be on a staff?.. YES! So don’t believe what you hear/read. My goal in life is to win a RING.

So who knows what the story is with this guy. But if he can turn Kuzma into a shooter this offseason, it will be a big plus.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:10 am    Post subject:

According to his twitter account he's based in DC. Penberthy lives here in SoCal so maybe it was simple availability.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: