When was the last time we had a team with this much depth?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
george w kush
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:56 pm    Post subject: When was the last time we had a team with this much depth?

Seeing THT tonight, looks like the season is a wrap. We're loaded at every position. We could use another rim protector, but once the playoffs come we can put AD at the 5.

When was the last time we had a team with this much depth and how do we get this dude more minutes? I wouldn't mind seeing KCP and Lebron's minutes get cut. KCP is locked into a nice contract anyway and we need Lebron to load manage for the playoffs. Perfect opportunity to give THT and Kuz more minutes.
ThreePointBomber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:39 am    Post subject:

2010 Lakers had bench players icing Game 7 free throws.
Doc JC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:49 am    Post subject:

KCP doesn’t need to load manage dude is still in his 20’s.

AD and Lebron we need to have bubble wrapped though. AD just goes so hard all the time that he gets banged up. Lebron I hope doesn’t top 30mpg. 26-28mpg would be ideal for the regular season. Gasol is 15-20mpg as well.
Koalita
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:42 am    Post subject:

Probably since the Salary cap was introduced
george w kush
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject:

Doc JC wrote:

I hear you however he is already locked in a nice contract and had a short offseason. I don’t think he would complains about his minutes getting cut too much. I’m sure all these guys would appreciate some extra time off. Of course once the playoffs starts we could increase his minutes, along with AD and Lebron.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:22 pm    Post subject:

I would probably say this is deeper than the Kobe/Pau championship teams. Biggest gap is between AD and Pau.

LeBron = Kobe
AD>> Pau
Harrell > Bynum (Yeah, I said it.)
Schroeder > Odom
Kuzma < Ariza/Artest

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject:

We have no rim protector. Until we get one, we're still flawed. We're good. We're Finals good...but flawed. Losing Dwight hurts.
RhodyRay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:04 pm    Post subject:

VujacicForThree wrote:

This year they will have bench players icing the series in 4 games!
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:48 pm    Post subject:

Lol a few months ago
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
We have no rim protector. Until we get one, we're still flawed. We're good. We're Finals good...but flawed. Losing Dwight hurts.

AD would like a word
scottpot29
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:34 pm    Post subject:

Last time I can think of is 91' . That team was stacked before Magic went out with the hiv. It was far better than the team the year previous that lost to the Bulls.

Not comparing the two teams, but that team was deep.
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject:

VujacicForThree wrote:

What I loved about that team was every player wanted to go at our opponents best players on a nightly basis. Kobe had that whole squad on kill mode.
LAKERMIKE2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:19 pm    Post subject:

We need a real defensive 3rd back up center, someone 6’11 & I don’t mean Pau...

Harrell is good for regular season but against Denver, Portland maybe others if Gasol is not healthy come playoff time we’re in trouble unlike the double header we had last year! I don’t think there will be a buyout center, but I believe a center is needed more than Dudley, Cook or much spoke bout Pau.

This way Harrell can play PF more when we have a tall match up in a series. This is the only weakness I see especially seeing the way THT, handled PG & we can use him & Caruso if someone gets hurt. We have no real center if Gasol gets hurt!
HC: Riley
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:27 pm    Post subject:

LAKERMIKE2 wrote:
We need a real defensive 3rd back up center, someone 6’11 & I don’t mean Pau...

Harrell is good for regular season but against Denver, Portland maybe others if Gasol is not healthy come playoff time we’re in trouble unlike the double header we had last year! I don’t think there will be a buyout center, but I believe a center is needed more than Dudley, Cook or much spoke bout Pau.

This way Harrell can play PF more when we have a tall match up in a series. This is the only weakness I see especially seeing the way THT, handled PG & we can use him & Caruso if someone gets hurt. We have no real center if Gasol gets hurt!

Ironically, a Dwight or McGee is what we now need.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:54 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
I would probably say this is deeper than the Kobe/Pau championship teams. Biggest gap is between AD and Pau.

LeBron = Kobe
AD>> Pau
Schroeder > Odom
Kuzma < Ariza/Artest

I LOVED that Kobe/Pau/LO squad and I'm loving this current one but I disagree. It's obviously a subjective matter but still. Pau was special those years. AD still gets the nod but let's not make Pau out be be miles behind AD. Comparing Bynum to Harrell isn also not the right comparison. Harrell was 6moy as was Lamar. Bynum should be matched up with Gasol as guys who'd start but never really finish games. Also, I take Odom 100x out of 100x over Schroeder. Again, not the comparison I'd make but in yours, Odom easily. Finally, if you're going to give AD two >> over Pau, then Artest/Ariza should get >>> over Kuzma.

I guess all in all, our depth is great now as was it in those years. I genuinely don't share the same idea that this squad's depth runs circles around that one. But I do agree it could go either way. (And hoping 2020-2021 Lakers end up the best ever)
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:16 pm    Post subject:

I think a 3rd string somewhat solid 7 foot center could be had as a buyout or possibly even euro league since I believe they end play early next year?

It's the only hole we really have on the entire roster so i'm sure they're fully aware of it. It's not a glaring need or essential at all though but there's no reason not to fill it since it doesn't even have to be someone special but does have to be someone that's ok sitting on the bench for the majority of games and minutes. So just waiting at this point might not be the worst idea.

I also agree this teams depth potential could be the best we've seen in 20-25 years but at the same time we've had some damn good teams in that stretch so while the potential is clearly without question there they still have to prove it over the entire season to be put above teams that actually won a Championship especially. Anything less then that is a failure this season no matter the raw talent.
Koalita
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:03 pm    Post subject:

I have to say I disagree with the "need a rim protector" argument, I do agree we can use another big man, to throw a body at Jokic etc, like we had DH and McGee last year, or just for safety, but I don't think rim protection is needed per se. I'd rather have 5th DRPM than the best rim protectors if they are not also top 10-20 in defensive rating.
Blocks are flashy but contested and altered shots are reliable. I think we'll have more defensive rebounds this year than last year, making up for the "lost" blocks easily.
Doc JC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:58 pm    Post subject:

If Gasol gets injured, AD will be at C for the playoffs. I’d rather have him there than some scrap heap scrub off the street. Denver is really the only matchup where this is an issue.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:39 am    Post subject:

VujacicForThree wrote:

Yeah, a bench player who sucked and couldn't hit open shots or do anything else of value, but still carried himself as if he was an All-Star.

To answer the OP's question, probably the Showtime teams were the last Laker teams to have this much depth. All during the Kobe era we had to deal with mostly marginal NBA players coming off the bench, with a few exceptions.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:22 am    Post subject:

When is the last time we thought we had the deepest bench before the season even started?
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:26 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

LeBron = Kobe
AD>> Pau
Schroeder > Odom
Kuzma < Ariza/Artest

I LOVED that Kobe/Pau/LO squad and I'm loving this current one but I disagree. It's obviously a subjective matter but still. Pau was special those years. AD still gets the nod but let's not make Pau out be be miles behind AD. Comparing Bynum to Harrell isn also not the right comparison. Harrell was 6moy as was Lamar. Bynum should be matched up with Gasol as guys who'd start but never really finish games. Also, I take Odom 100x out of 100x over Schroeder. Again, not the comparison I'd make but in yours, Odom easily. Finally, if you're going to give AD two >> over Pau, then Artest/Ariza should get >>> over Kuzma.

I guess all in all, our depth is great now as was it in those years. I genuinely don't share the same idea that this squad's depth runs circles around that one. But I do agree it could go either way. (And hoping 2020-2021 Lakers end up the best ever)

Good analysis 2019

On paper and based on some preliminary preseason games I like our depth, the real test is yet to come.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject:

Doc JC wrote:

AD and Lebron we need to have bubble wrapped though. AD just goes so hard all the time that he gets banged up. Lebron I hope doesn’t top 30mpg. 26-28mpg would be ideal for the regular season. Gasol is 15-20mpg as well.

I can't believe he's only 27, haha. God, he is an old looking and acting 27. Born in 1993, jeez.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject:

scottpot29 wrote:
Last time I can think of is 91' . That team was stacked before Magic went out with the hiv. It was far better than the team the year previous that lost to the Bulls.

Not comparing the two teams, but that team was deep.

You mean 1992? Iirc, it was the same team as 91, but with Sedale. It took them Magic's whole career to find that viable backup 1 and he has to retire. In 90/1, I remember the clamor about picking up Teagle and Perkins, but both of them like Woolridge before them struggled to mesh w/ that well-established core. Took Perkins a long time and Teagle never really got it. He was the one scorer who preferred to spin backwards off a defender on the sideline and shoot rather than just spot up and get passes from Magic. He was a peculiar offensive guy. They called him the Microwave of the West, but he played well in GS's system and not so much in our structured system.

That was a good roster tho, got us to The Finals. Too bad Worthy was injured. Mike Dunleavy was coach. Take from that what you will.

91 preseason segment:

wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject:

2007-2009 teams.

Bynum, Gasol starting. 2 elite size bigs, one being a HOF in his prime. Then, you bring the best off the bench big in the league, in Lamar Odom. We sort of have that now with Marc, AD, and Trez.

At SF we had Luke Walton who in the Triangle was a glue guy, but we also had Trevor Ariza a heck of a 2-way wing in his athletic prime.

Kobe, the Lakers GOAT. Just at end of his prime. Off the bench, we often used Sasha who was a pesky defender but fit the system very well. When we needed more athleticism, we had Shannon Brown.

Fish was our only liability as a starter, and his backups made us quite deep and gave Phil options. Farmar brought speed, and Shannon Brown brought some D.

I think our depth and talent is comparable to the 2007-2009 teams, we are probably a little more talented at the top because of ADs dominance. Pau was great, but could never be relied upon to be a 28-30 points a night guy like AD has been. Or defend like AD.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:23 am    Post subject:

1996-1997 was inexperienced, but stacked:

Shaq
Kobe
Horry
Fisher
Fox
Eddie
B Scott
Ced Ceballos
NVE
Seldom Campbell
Corie Blount

Besides being inexperienced, they had Del Harris instead of Phil Jackson as coach.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: