CEO: Schools reject offer to pay students' late lunch bills

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: CEO: Schools reject offer to pay students' late lunch bills

https://apnews.com/d08cb7de39e849e08943def345d9a4ac

Quote:
CEO: Schools reject offer to pay students’ late lunch bills
By MARK SCOLFORO
today

The president of a Pennsylvania school board whose district had warned parents behind on lunch bills that their children could end up in foster care has rejected a CEO’s offer to cover the cost, the businessman said Tuesday.

Todd Carmichael, chief executive and co-founder of Philadelphia-based La Colombe Coffee, said he offered to give Wyoming Valley West School District $22,000 to wipe out bills that generated the recent warning letter to parents.

But school board President Joseph Mazur rejected the offer during a phone conversation Monday, Carmichael spokesman Aren Platt said Tuesday. Mazur argued that money is owed by parents who can afford to pay, Platt said.

“The position of Mr. Carmichael is, irrespective of affluence, irrespective of need, he just wants to wipe away this debt,” Platt said.

Mazur did not return a phone message left at his home. Wyoming Valley West’s solicitor, Charles Coslett, said he did not know what the school board plans to do.

“I don’t know what my client’s intention is at this point,” Coslett said. “That’s the end of the line.”

In a letter sent to papers in the Wilkes-Barre area on Monday, Carmichael said his offer was motivated in part because he received free meals as a child growing up near Spokane, Washington.

“I know what it means to be hungry,” Carmichael wrote. “I know what it means to feel shame for not being able to afford food.”

Carmichael said Tuesday in a phone interview that his offer stands.

“I’m just going to hold on and I’m going to continue to be optimistic and see if we can’t do something,” Carmichael said. “Even if you’re a difficult person, we’re in. What can we do?”

The letters from the school district warned parents that they “can be sent to dependency court for neglecting your child’s right to food,” and that the children could be removed and placed in foster care.

Child welfare authorities have told the district that Luzerne County does not run its foster system that way.

Luzerne County’s manager and child welfare agency director wrote to Superintendent Irvin DeRemer, demanding the district stop making what it called false claims. DeRemer has not returned messages in recent days.

In an editorial Tuesday, the Times-Tribune of Scranton called the threats shameful and an act of hubris. The paper urged lawmakers and the state Department of Education to “outlaw such outlandish conduct by law and regulation covering lunch debt collection.”

Carmichael said he was struggling to understand why district officials would not welcome his help.

“Why prevent it?” he said.

School officials considered serving peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to students with overdue accounts but received legal advice warning against it, the district’s federal programs director, Joseph Muth, has said.

School district officials have said they planned other ways to get the lunch money, such as filing a district court complaint or placing liens on properties.

In the coming school year, Wyoming Valley West will qualify for funding to provide free lunches to all students.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject:

The fact that the school district would choose shaming families over solving the problem is disgusting.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:10 pm    Post subject:

And they’ll spend more funds (tax payer money) on legal advice for this “issue” that is being addressed by a caring individual.

Stupid
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject:

So it's not about receiving those funds but rather shaming the families and potentially tearing apart kids from their home? That is disgusting and pathetic.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:39 am    Post subject:

I didn't pay for food when I went to school

TAXES PAY FOR THAT

What administrator needs a PAY CUT!!!
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The letters from the school district warned parents that they “can be sent to dependency court for neglecting your child’s right to food,” and that the children could be removed and placed in foster care.

Child welfare authorities have told the district that Luzerne County does not run its foster system that way.

Luzerne County’s manager and child welfare agency director wrote to Superintendent Irvin DeRemer, demanding the district stop making what it called false claims. DeRemer has not returned messages in recent days.

School district officials have said they planned other ways to get the lunch money, such as filing a district court complaint or placing liens on properties.

Is this guy mental or something?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
The fact that the school district would choose shaming families over solving the problem is disgusting.

It’s not solving the problem. It’s plugging the leak.

Though I agree they should have just taken the money and then figured out a way to solve the problem.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Though I agree they should have just taken the money and then figured out a way to solve the problem.

The problem has been solved. In the article it states that the school qualifies for free lunch for all students next year. Them not accepting the money and shaming the families is more about pettiness and ego.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

The problem has been solved. In the article it states that the school qualifies for free lunch for all students next year. Them not accepting the money and shaming the families is more about pettiness and ego.

Ahhh yeah. Last line of the article, guess I didn’t read the entire thing the first go around.

Although I was really getting at something else which is the growing notion that I don’t have to be responsible for things because someone else will is the problem.

The money shortage is the symptom.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Ahhh yeah. Last line of the article, guess I didn’t read the entire thing the first go around.

Although I was really getting at something else which is the growing notion that I don’t have to be responsible for things because someone else will is the problem.

And who gives a flying (bleep). This is a private citizen wanting to help.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Don't put it on the students

Yes, someone wants more money than is available to be used for food

Someone is taking tooooo much money and thinks the taxes for public schooling no longer pays for food

If you demand my child be educated in your (bleep) up school system AND I ALREADY PAY TAXES to pay for my childs education why is food a problem?

Why are my taxes not enough to pay for food????????????
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

And who gives a flying (bleep). This is a private citizen wanting to help.

Agreed. No one is debating whether the school should have just taken the money. One thing we can all rarely agree on for sure. Some people believe in principle at all costs. I’m not one of them.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Just like our politicians

Whoever made that decision to shame poor people who cannot afford to feed their children probably have never NEVER been through true financial difficulties
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject:

I wonder how many politicians we have whose parents paid rent vs owning their own home

How many were told they are securely going to college etc

Parents bought them a car when they were old enough

Privileged people cannot govern the masses without proper experience and I would imagine 15% at most have faced financial difficulties during childhood
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Some people believe in principle at all costs. I’m not one of them.

Dude, come on, There were no "costs" to principles involved in accepting the money to payoff the lunch debts.

And the idea of threatening to break up families over lunch money is devoid of principle period.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Some people believe in principle at all costs. I’m not one of them.

Dude, come on, There were no "costs" to principles involved in accepting the money to payoff the lunch debts.

And the idea of threatening to break up families over lunch money is devoid of principle period.

Well, there are costs. But where we agree is that that cost is not greater than the cost of holding those people accountable.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject:

The people who need to be held accountable are those who started charging more money than the taxpaying parent is already paying to send their child to school...

Iverson voice

Lunch?... are we all talking about Lunch.. really.. a childs lunch is something they decided to begin forcing children to pay for out of pocket?

Do you see your city taxes... if your child is in school do you pay more for tax or does every single citizen pay the exact same amount whether they have children or not?

Why are children being charged for Lunch
School supplies and trying to heal the trauma public schools induce on your children should be payment enough, no?

I sincerely do not remember paying for lunches when I was in school.. Why would something like that change?
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject:

State Demands..... your child be in school

Then feed the creature for Gods sake.. sheesh
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:41 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
State Rep. Aaron Kaufer, whose district includes the school district, visited the district's central office in Kingston, Pa., on Wednesday and persuaded school board members to welcome charitable gifts.

Kaufer said there appeared to be some infighting among the school's board members about accepting outside money to cover the meal debt, but the precise reason for donors being ignored was not clear.

"I don't understand either," said Kaufer in an interview with NPR. "Nobody likes to see this kind of black-eye story in their area, but I want to see this issue resolved. This is not why we want to see northeastern Pennsylvania in the news."

The school district will take money to satisfy cafeteria debts through a foundation dedicated to providing financial assistance to the school district, officials said.

https://www.npr.org/2019/07/24/745046246/pa-school-district-reverses-course-and-will-now-accept-donations-to-cover-lunch-
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject:

https://www.citizensvoice.com/news/businessman-wyoming-valley-west-board-president-denied-22k-school-lunch-debt-donation-offer-1.2511277

Pic of the King of Wyoming West Valley, PA

Bet on his political affiliation.. I sincerely have no idea

But I do wonder what his deepest intentions were to scare parents into believing he could steal their children over food debts
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: