Hollywood Hoops: Lakers, Clippers Build Contenders, Move FA Ahead of the Draft(?) and Other Musings

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject: Hollywood Hoops: Lakers, Clippers Build Contenders, Move FA Ahead of the Draft(?) and Other Musings

Hey All,

ICYMI Latest @hollywood_hoops Ep. 143 - Lakers, Clippers Build Contenders, Move Free Agency Ahead of the Draft(?) and Other Musings https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/hollywood-hoops-ep-143-lakers-clippers-build-contenders/id1163476086?i=1000444676425 w/@JoshMartinNBA

Cheers,

Eric
Jellojigglin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject:

No way are the Clippers better then the current Lakers roster. I don't believe the current hype train with the Clippers. Let's see how much money Ballmer spends to improve the current roster. Listening to the press conference was cringe worthy and forced. I still want to see who the leader of the team is? Who is the captain of the ship now that CP3 is gone?
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:37 pm    Post subject:

The “Experts” (lol) are picking the Clippers based on them adding Kawhi & George “to a team that won 48 games last season”!

Did the “experts” consider that the Clippers only have (5) guys who were on the team ALL of last season?

And only (3) of them were regular players (Williams, Beverly, Harrell).

The other (2) were not exactly big contributors: Robinson (33 games @ 9mpg) and Motley (only 22 games @ 7 mpg). Depth? Really?

Have any of these “Experts” broken down the Clippers roster?

Sure they Kawhi, who had an awesome playoff run, yet missed 22 regular season games!

Their other star (George) had multiple off-season surgeries and may miss the first 3 to 4 weeks at the beginning of next season.

Ok, the Clippers retained (4) players who came over in trades: Harkless, Shamert, Green, and Zubac. Depth? Maybe…

Clippers added (2) players from this year’s draft: Kabengele, and Mann, who will contribute very little if anything to their depth.

I guess I’m not an expert because I just don’t see the “depth” they are raving about!

And as far as Coaching, Doc Rivers has had a winning record with the Clippers for his entire 6 years, but his only championship will have been 12 seasons ago in Boston, so in a league whose motto is “What have you done for me lately?”, Doc doesn’t have much to brag about…
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject:

The Clippers will be very good if Paul George and Kawhi play most of the season - the bigger issue is what will they do if PG misses the start of the season and any chunks throughout - and how much does Kawhi need to load manage. Without them, they're a mediocre team but with and at full strength, they're really good.

I have the Lakers above the Clippers in my rankings - I like LAL's depth and starpower - again, provided LBJ and AD play most of the season. We just go into the LAC year knowing there's a higher likelihood their 2 dudes miss time
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject:

Yeah. Hate to say it but the Clips will be good. But it'll be a rocks-paper-scissors kind of league and the Clips strengths (elite perimeter defense) are our weaknesses, while our strengths are their weakness (defending AD for example).

I think LBJ/KL will actually match up well for each on both sides of the ball.

The wildcard for me is PG13. I don't see the Clips with a good AD answer, but PG will have to be stopped by Danny Green/KCP (the latter who has been toasted by PG13).

Getting Iggy will help, but maybe Clips get him too.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Yeah. Hate to say it but the Clips will be good. But it'll be a rocks-paper-scissors kind of league and the Clips strengths (elite perimeter defense) are our weaknesses, while our strengths are their weakness (defending AD for example).

Yup, we can't match their perimeter defense, but they don't have nearly the firepower in the frontcourt that we have. It'll be a fun matchup.
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Yup, we can't match their perimeter defense, but they don't have nearly the firepower in the frontcourt that we have. It'll be a fun matchup.

You can punish the Clippers in the post. Their bigs are undersized (Harrell) and underexperienced (Zubac) and missing depth. Get them into early foul trouble and it should be wide open inside.

Personal Fouls/ 36 min (last year)

Zubac 4.7
Harrell 4.3
JaMychal Green 5.1
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

You can punish the Clippers in the post. Their bigs are undersized (Harrell) and underexperienced (Zubac) and missing depth. Get them into early foul trouble and it should be wide open inside.

Personal Fouls/ 36 min (last year)

Zubac 4.7
Harrell 4.3
JaMychal Green 5.1

Their size in the middle is the big question mark, though those per-36 foul numbers aren't that unusual for bigs (JaVale and Cousins had similar numbers).
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: