2019 College Football Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 36, 37, 38  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject:

UCLA should probably find a new QB....just saying....
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject:

UCF could have beat Stanford by 40-50 points today if they did not pull back after halftime.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject:

34-7 and its not even halftime...OU over UCLA.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject:

So many OU fans in attendance for the game, looks like a New Years Rose Bowl game.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Gah! We went from #2 to unranked. Thankfully, there are a lot of games left to play.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27529096/the-bottom-10-just-means-more-tennessee-sec

I am going to go with Rice +32 today!

You're still ahead at halftime. For the record, though, I did not recommend that bet.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:12 pm    Post subject:

I would be embarrassed if I was a UVA alum....you come into the game ranked and an 8 point favorite over an unranked FSU team that has been a dumpster fire for 2 seasons.....you win by 8 points because FSU does not know how to spike the ball on the 5 yard line......and the entire stadium storms the field!?!?!? Why are fans rushing the field when they win a game that they were clearly supposed to win?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Gah! We went from #2 to unranked. Thankfully, there are a lot of games left to play.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27529096/the-bottom-10-just-means-more-tennessee-sec

You're still ahead at halftime. For the record, though, I did not recommend that bet.

Sorry, Lanny. I thought we’d delivered for you. Who expected a TD on a kickoff return with a minute left?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Texas covered by 3
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:31 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
USC still sucks. I guess Stanford was much worse then we all thought.

How long will it take for a PAC-12 team to win a national title?

Looks like a down year for the program. Although you could tell the program was coming down to earth when you saw who they lost to in previous seasons.

No Pac-12 team has won a title since the playoff started. The last team in the conference to win was USC in 2004. Some question that title because Auburn was undefeated that year and won a conference that actually wins national titles, and lots of them.

Besides USC who else in the conference was national champs? Washington split a title in 1991. Before that who? It’s embarrassing.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

Looks like a down year for the program. Although you could tell the program was coming down to earth when you saw who they lost to in previous seasons.

No Pac-12 team has won a title since the playoff started. The last team in the conference to win was USC in 2004. Some question that title because Auburn was undefeated that year and won a conference that actually wins national titles, and lots of them.

Besides USC who else in the conference was national champs? Washington split a title in 1991. Before that who? It’s embarrassing.

Pac-12 and its previous iterations have a terrible record in the modern era (if you look at it from the 90's on).
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

The PAC12 does not appear to have any "elite" teams this year unless Utah proves me wrong....but they do have several quality teams this year. I thought last season became a little embarrassing and was worried the trend may continue, but they appeared to have bounced back this year.

Last year, the American and Mountain West finished with more teams ranked than the PAC12....I do not see that happening this year.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

The PAC12 does not appear to have any "elite" teams this year unless Utah proves me wrong....but they do have several quality teams this year. I thought last season became a little embarrassing and was worried the trend may continue, but they appeared to have bounced back this year.

Last year, the American and Mountain West finished with more teams ranked than the PAC12....I do not see that happening this year.

The Pac-12 usually has some quality teams, but it’s annoying watching the SEC always have 1 or 2 playoff teams while the Pac-12 struggles to get 1, and if they do have a team they never win it all. USC still hasn’t been in the playoff yet and don’t get me started on UCLA. It’s going to be even harder to make the playoff now that Alabama and Clemson are almost guaranteed a couple of spots, and when it’s possible the SEC will get 2 of them.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
The Pac-12 usually has some quality teams, but it’s annoying watching the SEC always have 1 or 2 playoff teams while the Pac-12 struggles to get 1, and if they do have a team they never win it all. USC still hasn’t been in the playoff yet and don’t get me started on UCLA. It’s going to be even harder to make the playoff now that Alabama and Clemson are almost guaranteed a couple of spots, and when it’s possible the SEC will get 2 of them.

Well, the fact that college football is monopolized by 3-5 teams in a small part of the country is a bad thing, but I hope that it will pass in time. The Pac-12's problem is that it is still trying to live in the 1970s. Teams in the other conferences seem to have gotten the message.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:

I think Clemson is like a 99% chance of getting into the playoffs. I agree that Alabama is likely, but I think there is a real chance that Georgia gets it this year, and I think it is less likely the SEC gets 2 this year because the conference simply can't claim the conference is so tough top to bottom as it has in the past. Next, I have a hard time seeing Ohio State losing a game this year....they get Wisconsin and Penn State @ home, and Michigan does not look to be great this season. I am usually anti Ohio State/Big10, but I have to admit Ohio State looks legit this season. That is 3 near locks (Clemson, SEC winner, Ohio State), and who is beating Oklahoma this year? Maybe Texas has a 10-15% chance at beating Oklahoma, but I am not seeing it. I think the odds are fairly high the playoffs will be....

1. Clemson
2. Alabama (or Georgia)
3. Ohio State
4. Oklahoma

They may give Oklahoma the 3rd slot because they could sell the crap our of Alabama vs. Oklahoma (Tua vs. Jalen), and a really solid chance the championship game is once again Alabama vs. Clemson

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If one of those teams do slip up, and UCF wins out, I do think they will get a more serious look than ever before. UCF is better this year than they have been in previous years. I think if anyone watched them dismantle Stanford and put that game away 2/3rds of the way through the 1st Quarter, they would recognize the difference. While the margin of victory was similar, UCF scored their 4th TD with nearly 5 minutes remaining in the 1st Quarter and USC scored their 4th TD against Stanford with less than a minute remaining in the 3rd Quarter. UCF has another chance to make a statement this week by going to Pittsburgh and boat racing them, when everyone saw Pittsburgh should have beat Penn State this past weekend @ Penn State.

I do not know how UCF has accumulated so much depth, but while the talent is less, they have similar depth as the Clemson's and Alabama's. They use 5 RB's every game and throw to 10 different guys.....and their Freshman QB is one of those special ones.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally, the best thing for the overall health of college football would be for a PAC12 team to make the playoffs.....and if it is close, I think that would help them. I was listening to a college football analyst from FS1 on the radio last week, and he was making the case that college football is in the most healthy financial position it has ever been in.....and at the same time the most dangerous position it has ever been in because it has became so southeast region focused to the point it is unsustainable. He said college football must have more than just one PAC12 team emerge to make the playoff....but it needs the PAC12, Big10 and even Mountain West to really come back strong soon or college football will begin to decline in stature.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject:

^
I know that I definitely want to see Alabama vs. Oklahoma in the CFP.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Sorry, Lanny. I thought we’d delivered for you. Who expected a TD on a kickoff return with a minute left?

They game me an honest effort.

What is with UCLA? They look like a JC Team.....
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject:

My guess is the process is taking place at UCLA football...
Wonder how much patience the alumni and donors have until they realize its not working.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Wonder how much patience the alumni and donors have until they realize its not working.

I think the Rams being back in town, and USC struggles has benefited Kelly to some degree by keeping the alumni off his back. I do not know if it works out, but there are questions about his process from his recruiting style to the seemingly lack of improvement in the team this year from last.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

I think the Rams being back in town, and USC struggles has benefited Kelly to some degree by keeping the alumni off his back. I do not know if it works out, but there are questions about his process from his recruiting style to the seemingly lack of improvement in the team this year from last.

Rams and Chargers taking away some of the media attention helps. Also UCLA football doesn't have the high expectations when compared to crosstown rival USC. I mean its been nearly 2 decades since UCLA went to the Rose Bowl game.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Rams and Chargers taking away some of the media attention helps. Also UCLA football doesn't have the high expectations when compared to crosstown rival USC. I mean its been nearly 2 decades since UCLA went to the Rose Bowl game.

What worries me the most is that Chip is supposed to be an offensive guru, and we can't score. Like, it would be one thing if we were losing a bunch of 45-38 games. We aren't moving the ball and everything just looks stale. I know the QB isn't exactly polished, but this is year two, and it feels like a miracle if we score 28 or more, which is quite easy to do in college football.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
What worries me the most is that Chip is supposed to be an offensive guru, and we can't score. Like, it would be one thing if we were losing a bunch of 45-38 games. We aren't moving the ball and everything just looks stale. I know the QB isn't exactly polished, but this is year two, and it feels like a miracle if we score 28 or more, which is quite easy to do in college football.

He has not recruited very wisely. A place like UCLA should have garnered a lot higher rated players than he's gotten. He doesn't have the talent to compete, and when that happens you gotta be able to coach them up and that hasn't happened either.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

He has not recruited very wisely. A place like UCLA should have garnered a lot higher rated players than he's gotten. He doesn't have the talent to compete, and when that happens you gotta be able to coach them up and that hasn't happened either.

very true.....last year (2019) his class hung round near the bottom of the PAC12 and he was not making many offers....I think by the end he had the 6th best class in the PAC12 but only 1 Four Star recruit. This upcoming class (2020) is currently ranked at the bottom of the PAC12 and he is simply not making many offers. Nobody really understands what he is doing, but a card board cut out should be able to pull in more than 1 Four Star recruit in a class to UCLA.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject:

It appears ESPN+ subscriptions have plateaued at a much lower number than expected. Their response has been one of my fears about the streaming add on's, as ESPN is literally not honoring their claims and taking games that have always been available via the ESPN cable package, and placing them on the streaming service in an attempt to force people to pay more for the same product.

Last year the Big12 announced instead of forming their own Network, they would work with ESPN to form the Big12 Now streaming network that would be a part of ESPN+. The release claimed that only Tier 3 rights events would be broadcast on ESPN+, not traditional Tier 1 & 2 events. There is no strict definition for Tier 3 rights, as each school and division define them a tad different, but basically it is all of the schools events that are not traditionally aired nationally like your non conference football and basketball games early in the year where you play a FCS school and non revenue sports like volleyball, etc. Honestly, it sounded like a good deal for anyone that was not local to their Big12 school as normally Tier 3 events are only aired on local and regional channels.

ESPN and FS1 have the rights to the Big12 Tier 1 & 2 events, and break up the inventory annually. Last week it was announced that the WVU/Kansas football game which ESPN owned would only be aired on ESPN+. This a direct contradiction to ESPN's claims, and they actually admit they have decided to take 1 game from each school and place on ESPN+ to drive up subscriptions. They also announced that several games for each team in basketball would be moved to ESPN+ including both WVU/Kanas basketball games! WVU/Kansas basketball games are always in a prime slot on ESPN or ABC/Fox....but now they will only be offered on ESPN+ in a year where Kansas and WVU are expected to be at the top of the Big12 again.

Is it the end of the world? No, but it is bush league and somewhat detrimental to the program. In the bigger picture, how long is it before one of the Networks upcoming streaming service removes a very popular show and only airs on their separate streaming service? We have all been sold on the streaming services being good for consumers....allowing more choice, but I will not be surprised in the long run if most of these new streaming add ons in development for current channels try to force the consumer to pay for their cable offering as well as their streaming offering.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject:

See the end of the Houston @ Tulane game last night? I did not see it live, but saw the highlights. Tied 31-31 with 15 seconds left, Tulane lined up to take a knee for OT.....then faked it and ran about 20 yards...then threw a 50+ yard pass to win the game. I have never seen Dana Holgorsen look as dejected as he was after the game.....with his 1-3 record @ Houston.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject:

USC fans chanting "Hire Urban" on the pregame show....
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 7 of 38
Jump to: