2019 College Football Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 36, 37, 38  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
JT Daniels out for the season with a torn ACL. USC season could be over if their backups don't deliver.

he was a True Sophomore this year? So he can red shirt?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject:

If Riley thinks he can use Jalen Hurts like this all year.....kind of a one man offense.....Rattler will be the QB by mid-season.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
JT Daniels out for the season with a torn ACL. USC season could be over if their backups don't deliver.

Didn't he play last year? I'm not sure how those rules work.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

He's going to redshirt, they announced. And hey, Houston covered against OU, though OU was in control. I did say that it would be a statement game for Hurts, though.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject:

what genius thought it to be a great idea to have an opening week game in a premium time slot include Louisville?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
what genius thought it to be a great idea to have an opening week game in a premium time slot include Louisville?

I was just going to ask the same thing . . .
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject:

Doesn't Louisville have more brand recognition than Houston, who was on last night? I mean, it's Notre Dame. People will watch.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject:

And now it's Notre Dame down 14-7.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

in general, a NCAA student athlete has to apply and get approval from the NCAA Clearinghouse. It does not matter if you are a no name adkindo playing collegiate football in West Virginia, Lori Laughlin's kids preparing to take over the rowing world, or a 5 Star phenom like Zion Williams. Everyone goes through the same process and must be approved by the clearinghouse. Once approved, the student athletes eligibility clock starts and they can't stop it. In general, an athlete is given 5 years eligibility to play for 4 years/seasons. It allows the athlete to voluntarily sit out 1 year, and still play a full 4 years.

Traditionally, most athletes that "red shirt" do it their Freshman season because that is often the year they are least likely to contribute and be successful, but the athlete can take it at any time during the initial 4 years. Once taken, the athlete is considered a Red Shirt Xclassman. This identifies how much eligibility the athlete has remaining.

For example....

2018 - JT Daniels - Freshman (also referred to as a "true" Freshman) 4 years remaining to play 3 years
2019 - JT Daniels - Sophomore (also referred to as a "true" Sophomore) 3 years remaining to play 2 years
2020 - JT Daniels - Red Shirt Sophomore, 2 years remaining to play 2 years
2020 - JT Daniels - Red Shirt Junior, 1 year remaining to play 1 year
2020 - JT Daniels - Red Shirt Senior, 0 years remaining to play 0 years

There are a few special circumstances like a medical red shirt where a player who has already utilized his/her red shirt year, then loses a subsequent season because of a serious injury. The athlete can apply for an additional year medical waiver, but that is not automatic and is referred to often as a Medical Red Shirt.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject:

Louisville's run defense, to put it mildly, is lacking. 14-14.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Doesn't Louisville have more brand recognition than Houston, who was on last night? I mean, it's Notre Dame. People will watch.

you are correct that people will watch Notre Dame play the Little Sisters of the Poor, and yes Louisville has more brand power than Houston because they are in the ACC. That said, Louisville has been a disaster for several years on and off the field. They were 2-10 last year while losing every conference game and only picking up win against Indiana State (a FCS program) and Western Kentucky (needed a late comeback to win by 3 points). Finally, they were picked to finish dead last this year in the ACC Atlantic Division for the 2nd year in a row.

Just sayin....there were at least 50 Power 5 teams (out of 64) that would have been more compelling on paper. Finally, I get the Oklahoma/Houston angle. Both schools were supposed to be coming in with explosive offenses led by Heisman candidates.....and you also had Holgorson taking on his long time Big 12 nemesis Riley.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject:

I will never ever understand why a receiver that must get 4 yards on 4th Down will run a 3 yard route. That stuff is pounded in your head when you are a little kid, yet it happens week after week at the highest levels.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Louisville's run defense, to put it mildly, is lacking. 14-14.

this game should not be close in the 4th Quarter.....ND just has a huge talent advantage....but I do think Louisville's coach will get the program back to being competitive within a couple years.

Have to wonder if Purdue's HC Jeff Brohm is regretting turning down the Louisville job this summer. He was born and raised in Louisville....graduated and played QB @ Louisville, and was an OC at Louisville. They reportedly backed up the Brinks truck, but he said he had unfinished business @ Purdue this season. Purdue lost to Nevada this week.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject:

surprised Louisville has been able to stay in the game
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject:

Notre Dame won by 18. The line was 18.5. Those oddsmakers, man!
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

I did not watch as closely during our draft, but I honestly felt like it could have been closer if Louisville executed better a handful of times. It is week 1, so hard to take too much from it, but the way ND struggled against the run, they better tighten that up before they go to Georgia in a couple weeks.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

I did not watch as closely during our draft, but I honestly felt like it could have been closer if Louisville executed better a handful of times. It is week 1, so hard to take too much from it, but the way ND struggled against the run, they better tighten that up before they go to Georgia in a couple weeks.

Georgia will likely handle them pretty easily, methinks.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject:

My thoughts on the first week is mostly I need to see week 2. The media has seemed to already form narratives, but I remain skeptical about most of them. Overall, I thought there was a lot of spectacular individual play, but almost no great team play which I guess makes sense in Week 1.

Biggest winners of the Week was the 2 big non P5 conferences.....the AAC and MW. I gave a break down of how well they did in a previous post. The top of both leagues are closing the gap, and probably better than most of the bottom teams in the P5 conferences.

The Playoff Pool appears to be very small, and look a lot like last year....and the year before, and the....you get it. Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Oklahoma, Texas, Ohio State, and Clemson. Hopefully someone from the PAC12 will rise up, but I am not buying it will be Utah. If forced, I project Alabama (or whoever wins SEC), Clemson, Oklahoma and Ohio State.

The best conference from top to bottom is....no conference appears to have what it takes to have that recognition.

- I guess the SEC wins by default, but it clearly has became a top heavy league with teams like Ole Miss and South Carolina striking fear in no one. The days of saying that the 5th best team in the SEC could win other P5 conferences in long over.

- The ACC basically has one team. If Clemson gets through Texas A&M this weekend, they can basically sleep their way through the rest of the schedule.

- The Big 12 was 10-0 in Week 1!! The problem is about 6 of those wins were "bad" wins in that they were close games against what should have been significantly less talented FCS and G5 teams. The Big12 is Oklahoma and Texas in 2019. Iowa State was picked to finish 3rd in the conference, and it took them 3 OT's to beat a mid tier FCS team, and that sums up the Big 12 this year.

- PAC12 - ? Really, I do not see any top tier teams there. Utah has some support and others think Washington will repeat, but I do not think any PAC12 team is on par with the 7 schools I mentioned above.

- Big10 - Ohio State looks very good, Michigan appeared very normal (aka mediocre), and I need to see Wisconsin and Penn State against better competition.

6 of the 10ish Heisman candidates can be written in Sharpie..

- Travis Etienne - Clemson
- Trevor Lawrence - Clemson
- Tua Tagovailoa - Alabama
- Justin Herbert - Oregon
- Jalen Hurts - Oklahoma
- Jonathan Taylor - Wisconsin

More hype than substance? Teams that appear over ranked based on Week 1. (I reserve the right to change opinion after Week 2.)

- Michigan
- Notre Dame
- Florida
- Oregon
- Michigan State
- Nebraska
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject:

1st time I have ever seen something like this.....Bethune-Cookman is playing @ Jackson State....and the Jackson State tiger mascot comes onto the field to join the fight for possession of the ball...

https://twitter.com/espn/status/1168283161274605570
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject:

Gah! We went from #2 to unranked. Thankfully, there are a lot of games left to play.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27529096/the-bottom-10-just-means-more-tennessee-sec
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Gah! We went from #2 to unranked. Thankfully, there are a lot of games left to play.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27529096/the-bottom-10-just-means-more-tennessee-sec

they must expect us on that list soon....after going to Wyoming last week and getting beat.....Missouri returns home as 14 point favorites this weekend over WVU.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject:

some solid Week 2 games with interesting spreads....

- Cincinnati @ #5 Ohio State (-15.5) - talk out of Cincinnati is they think they can win this game

- #21 Syracuse @ Maryland (-1.5) - narrative is Syracuse is the team to challenge Clemson in ACC. I do not see it, think Maryland wins.

#12 Texas A&M @ #1 Clemson (-16.5) - give me Jimbo and the points.

#25 Nebraska (-4.5) @ Colorado - is Nebraska a legitimate Big10 contender? Have a better idea after today.

#6 LSU (-6.5) @ #9 Texas - it is not full proof, but taking Herman (TX) to cover as an underdog is about as safe a bet in all of football.

Nevada @ #16 Oregon (-24) - Oregon will win, but I would take Nevada and the points.

#23 Stanford @ USC (-3) - USC has to find a way to win this game, right?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject:

Is Justin Fields (Ohio State) real? He's had a phenomenal 2 weeks. Right now 42 0 over Cincinnati.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject:

Army has the ball with 2:30 left in game....tied with #7 Michigan
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Army has the ball with 2:30 left in game....tied with #7 Michigan

going to OT
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 4 of 38
Jump to: