Lakers’ New Young Core
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 26 Dec 2012
Posts: 39802

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:34 am    Post subject: Lakers’ New Young Core

Lakers’ Young Core Among Worst in NBA After Trades Says Analyst
Thoughts ...... "yes, no, maybe"


Quote:
Zach Cram of The Ringer analyzed the “young cores” of every team in the league, meaning that he filtered out rosters to just include players under 24-years-old. He determined that Los Angeles has the No. 26 young core in the NBA.


*Kostas Antetokounmpo - 21
*Talen Horton-Tucker - 18
*Kyle Kuzma - 24
*Zach Norvell - 21


Quote:
#26. Los Angeles Lakers
WAR: 6.0 | Best Under-25 Player: Kyle Kuzma (4.0)

The CARMELO system doesn’t love Kuzma, the only young Laker of note after L.A.’s trade for Anthony Davis and subsequent trade to clear cap space.
The Lakers do love Kuzma—they refused to include him in the Davis deal—but in two seasons thus far, he’s profiled as an inefficient scorer and poor defender.
At least for now, that combination pushes him closer to a back-end rotation player than future core contributor.


* https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/7/23/20703286/nba-young-core-rankings

* https://heavy.com/sports/2019/07/lakers-young-core-worst-trades-the-ringer/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 07 Oct 2016
Posts: 10420

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:47 am    Post subject:

That's not a core. It's just Kuzma and three random guys.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 26 Dec 2012
Posts: 39802

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:55 am    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:
That's not a core. It's just Kuzma and three random guys.
pretty much
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 21 Jul 2012
Posts: 31092
Location: Manhattan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:22 am    Post subject:

and don't forget alex the pope
_________________
Kobe
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Jan 2010
Posts: 33575

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:23 am    Post subject:

Remember the good old days when we used to compete for championships and no one cared about "young cores".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LVLAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 5345
Location: United States

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:24 am    Post subject:

KCP, COOK and AD are only 26. They are still kinda young.
_________________
BRADLEY/RONDO/CARUSO
GREEN/COOK/DANIELS/THT
LEBRON/KCP/GREEK
AD/KUZMA/
D39/MCGEE/COUSINS
Coachs:Vogel/Kidd
Rookies/Projects:
Horton-Tucker and Norvell/Antetokounmpo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 09 Jun 2015
Posts: 1828
Location: Croatia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:40 am    Post subject:

Who give a (bleep) about the young anymore. Some people have to realize we are done with youth. Thats history. Now its time to play for chips.
_________________
MY LAKERS HYPE VIDEO FOR NEW SEASON 2019-2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHCvesImQdQ&t=167s
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 29 Aug 2004
Posts: 10749
Location: The Other Perspective

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:53 am    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:
That's not a core. It's just Kuzma and three random guys.


Haha yup.
_________________
"Chick lived and breathed Lakers basketball…but he was also fair and objective and called every game the way it was played."
-from Chick: His Unpublished Memoirs and the Memories of Those Who Knew Him
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 108293

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:27 am    Post subject:

I think Kuz has become a bit overrated, but to call him a "back-end rotation player than future core contributor" is asinine.

He may not be a 2 way all around player, but he will still be at worst, a 17-20ppg level scorer. That isn't a back-end rotation player.
_________________
LBJ in 22 playoff games (2017-18): 34/9/9
AD in 9 playoff games (2017-18): 30/13/2.3bpg/2spg.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 26 Dec 2012
Posts: 39802

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:08 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
and don't forget alex the pope


Quote:
Zach Cram of The Ringer analyzed the “young cores” of every team in the league, meaning that he filtered out rosters to just include players under 24-years-old. He determined that Los Angeles has the No. 26 young core in the NBA.


AC is 25, KCP, QC & Ad are 26 years-old.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 26 Dec 2012
Posts: 39802

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:10 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I think Kuz has become a bit overrated, but to call him a "back-end rotation player than future core contributor" is asinine.

He may not be a 2 way all around player, but he will still be at worst, a 17-20ppg level scorer. That isn't a back-end rotation player.


I agree; that assessment of Kuzma is quite harsh and IMO off target.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Pureshot77
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 23 May 2008
Posts: 240

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:28 am    Post subject:

Not sure but they did get you to read their article .
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
tkLAKERS
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 03 Nov 2010
Posts: 293

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:31 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I think Kuz has become a bit overrated, but to call him a "back-end rotation player than future core contributor" is asinine.

He may not be a 2 way all around player, but he will still be at worst, a 17-20ppg level scorer. That isn't a back-end rotation player.


I agree; that assessment of Kuzma is quite harsh and IMO off target.


This is because Kuzma is still a Laker. The minute he ends up on another team, he will instantly become a near all-star level player on the cusp of stardom.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 108293

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:40 am    Post subject:

Yup. People ripped Zo/BI all the time and mocked them being Lakers core pieces.

Now they're on the Pels and now they are the best thing since sliced bread.

Rinse and repeat.
_________________
LBJ in 22 playoff games (2017-18): 34/9/9
AD in 9 playoff games (2017-18): 30/13/2.3bpg/2spg.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Jul 2014
Posts: 5324

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject:

There is no "young core". Getting a #26 rating seems about right. Not sure why this is even an issue for some. Lakers chose to lay in a different arena.

Having a couple of young players does not constitute a young core. Only Kuzma will even have a role on this team. The others are long shot G-League developmental players. Every team has those "potential" guys sitting on the end of the bench.

Lakers are a vet team chasing a ring for the next couple seasons. For the foreseeable future they have embraced a continual free agency cycle not a development team strategy.

Current group will get minimal mpg. Draft picks will be late round hopefuls at best. Lakers will annually fill in the roster spots with vets on min contracts. The "young core" plan is dead. Get used to it. I still am resisting but reality is setting in, still working on acceptance though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Posts: 17485
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:52 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Remember the good old days when we used to compete for championships and no one cared about "young cores".


That's actually right now. Except for Kuz, who's expected to contribute consistently, whatever we get from the young guys is a bonus.
_________________
"Suck it up. Don't be a baby. Do your job." - Kobe Bryant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 108293

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:53 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
There is no "young core". Getting a #26 rating seems about right. Not sure why this is even an issue for some. Lakers chose to lay in a different arena.

Having a couple of young players does not constitute a young core. Only Kuzma will even have a role on this team. The others are long shot G-League developmental players. Every team has those "potential" guys sitting on the end of the bench.

Lakers are a vet team chasing a ring for the next couple seasons. For the foreseeable future they have embraced a continual free agency cycle not a development team strategy.

Current group will get minimal mpg. Draft picks will be late round hopefuls at best. Lakers will annually fill in the roster spots with vets on min contracts. The "young core" plan is dead. Get used to it. I still am resisting but reality is setting in, still working on acceptance though.


I think the issue is their off assessment of Kuz. He is not a back end rotation player. He may not be an all star or even a starter, but he's not playing a 9/10th man rotation spot either.
_________________
LBJ in 22 playoff games (2017-18): 34/9/9
AD in 9 playoff games (2017-18): 30/13/2.3bpg/2spg.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 26 Dec 2018
Posts: 1855

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:54 am    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:
That's not a core. It's just Kuzma and three random guys.

This.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Posts: 17485
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject:

blackmamba08 wrote:
Who give a (bleep) about the young anymore. Some people have to realize we are done with youth. Thats history. Now its time to play for chips.


Seems like people have already forgotten we're one of the teams at the top of the list projected to win a championship this season.

That's the list of teams we should be concerned with. Not the freakin' Pelicans and Grizzlies.
_________________
"Suck it up. Don't be a baby. Do your job." - Kobe Bryant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
2019
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 03 Dec 2014
Posts: 8000

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
blackmamba08 wrote:
Who give a (bleep) about the young anymore. Some people have to realize we are done with youth. Thats history. Now its time to play for chips.


Seems like people have already forgotten we're one of the teams at the top of the list projected to win a championship this season.

That's the list of teams we should be concerned with. Not the freakin' Pelicans and Grizzlies.


I do think it's funny to point out that they were perceived anywhere from busts to nothing special when they were here, but now BI and Zo are back to considered top prospects.

Anyway, we're hunting rings again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 16 Jul 2002
Posts: 2331

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Lakers’ New Young Core

pio2u wrote:
Lakers’ Young Core Among Worst in NBA After Trades Says Analyst
Thoughts ...... "yes, no, maybe"


Quote:
Zach Cram of The Ringer analyzed the “young cores” of every team in the league, meaning that he filtered out rosters to just include players under 24-years-old. He determined that Los Angeles has the No. 26 young core in the NBA.


*Kostas Antetokounmpo - 21
*Talen Horton-Tucker - 18
*Kyle Kuzma - 24
*Zach Norvell - 21


Quote:
#26. Los Angeles Lakers
WAR: 6.0 | Best Under-25 Player: Kyle Kuzma (4.0)

The CARMELO system doesn’t love Kuzma, the only young Laker of note after L.A.’s trade for Anthony Davis and subsequent trade to clear cap space.
The Lakers do love Kuzma—they refused to include him in the Davis deal—but in two seasons thus far, he’s profiled as an inefficient scorer and poor defender.
At least for now, that combination pushes him closer to a back-end rotation player than future core contributor.


* https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/7/23/20703286/nba-young-core-rankings

* https://heavy.com/sports/2019/07/lakers-young-core-worst-trades-the-ringer/


I hear that the criteria to be an NBA analyst is to have an "anal cyst".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 26 Apr 2017
Posts: 2058

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I think Kuz has become a bit overrated, but to call him a "back-end rotation player than future core contributor" is asinine.

He may not be a 2 way all around player, but he will still be at worst, a 17-20ppg level scorer. That isn't a back-end rotation player.


Yeah,.. we all know I’m not a huge Kuz guy, but he’s absolutely a baller. He’s got his limitations as a player, but a guy who doesn’t necessarily have to have the ball to be effective as a scorer and can blow up and give you 40 on any given night is much more than an end of rotation player. Imo, it’s on the coaching staff to recognize his limitations and put him in positions to succeed instead of fail.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 26 Apr 2017
Posts: 2058

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I think Kuz has become a bit overrated, but to call him a "back-end rotation player than future core contributor" is asinine.

He may not be a 2 way all around player, but he will still be at worst, a 17-20ppg level scorer. That isn't a back-end rotation player.


Yeah,.. we all know I’m not a huge Kuz guy, but he’s absolutely a baller. He’s got his limitations as a player, but a guy who doesn’t necessarily have to have the ball to be effective as a scorer and can blow up and give you 40 on any given night is much more than an end of rotation player. Imo, it’s on the coaching staff to recognize his limitations and put him in positions to succeed instead of fail.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 108293

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I think Kuz has become a bit overrated, but to call him a "back-end rotation player than future core contributor" is asinine.

He may not be a 2 way all around player, but he will still be at worst, a 17-20ppg level scorer. That isn't a back-end rotation player.


Yeah,.. we all know I’m not a huge Kuz guy, but he’s absolutely a baller. He’s got his limitations as a player, but a guy who doesn’t necessarily have to have the ball to be effective as a scorer and can blow up and give you 40 on any given night is much more than an end of rotation player. Imo, it’s on the coaching staff to recognize his limitations and put him in positions to succeed instead of fail.


I can agree that our youth movement is pretty much non-existent simply b/c we are in contention mode now.

But the way they analyzed Kuz is completely wrong and it's fair to call that out. I'm intrigued however to see how THT plays this year. I know Mike@LG was big on him.
_________________
LBJ in 22 playoff games (2017-18): 34/9/9
AD in 9 playoff games (2017-18): 30/13/2.3bpg/2spg.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Laker's Fan
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 27 Jun 2002
Posts: 9307

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I think Kuz has become a bit overrated, but to call him a "back-end rotation player than future core contributor" is asinine.

He may not be a 2 way all around player, but he will still be at worst, a 17-20ppg level scorer. That isn't a back-end rotation player.


Yeah,.. we all know I’m not a huge Kuz guy, but he’s absolutely a baller. He’s got his limitations as a player, but a guy who doesn’t necessarily have to have the ball to be effective as a scorer and can blow up and give you 40 on any given night is much more than an end of rotation player. Imo, it’s on the coaching staff to recognize his limitations and put him in positions to succeed instead of fail.


I can agree that our youth movement is pretty much non-existent simply b/c we are in contention mode now.

But the way they analyzed Kuz is completely wrong and it's fair to call that out. I'm intrigued however to see how THT plays this year. I know Mike@LG was big on him.


I look at it as a different development objective. A classic youth movement is when you’re trying to build the top end of your team with high draft picks. I think we’re in more of a Spurs mode where we’re looking to develop cost controlled role players so we can manage our budget while spending handsomely at the top of the roster.

If you can pipeline guys in the eight to ten spots in your rotation, you can use resources to maximize elsewhere.

Handy, Penberthy, our SBL feeder system all make that a strength imo.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB