Lakers promote Nina Hsieh to head athletic trainer
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject:

ReaListik wrote:
Not sure about this move

I think it's a good thing that they hired somebody with excellent academic credentials who worked their way up the ladder slowly, instead of by building their brand rapidly by training celebrities, etc.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
https://www.nba.com/lakers/training-staff

Our entire "athletic" training staff looks unfit... literally and figuratively. What is their purpose anyway? Is it only to help manage injuries and recovery as well as to manage equipment? Because if they can't keep themselves looking somewhat fit, I don't know how they're supposed to help with "strength and conditioning" training for some of the world's finest athletes. Not saying they need to all have beach bodies... the brain is important too... but isn't being able to put into practise (on some level at least) what you teach or preach also an important requirement for "athletic training" jobs any more?

Anyway, I hope she got the job because she's good at what she does.

How exactly can you determine how fit the training staff is from those photos? Are we profiling?

Steve007 wrote:
You can’t tell how fit some of them are from those photos.

--Anonymous
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
dabask11 wrote:

Our entire "athletic" training staff looks unfit... literally and figuratively. What is their purpose anyway? Is it only to help manage injuries and recovery as well as to manage equipment? Because if they can't keep themselves looking somewhat fit, I don't know how they're supposed to help with "strength and conditioning" training for some of the world's finest athletes. Not saying they need to all have beach bodies... the brain is important too... but isn't being able to put into practise (on some level at least) what you teach or preach also an important requirement for "athletic training" jobs any more?

How exactly can you determine how fit the training staff is from those photos? Are we profiling?

Hmm, I don't know whether to or or at that 2nd question, it sounds more confrontational rather than conversational. You ever hear of doing a Google search and then clicking the "Images" tab? That's how. I didn't look at many results, just skimmed through a couple.

For example: here's a search result for Nina that ended up being a YouTube clip.

When looking at this video alone, if anyone says she looks fit enough to do physical athletic training for XXXL-sized NBA players and not just regular peeps... or says that being able to put into practise the same training doesn't matter if they have "academic credentials" (if for no other reason than to verify the results of different activities/skills/techniques/training/etc)... then that's their opinion, everyone has one and they are able to be (or fake being) more politically correct than I am to the point of ignoring reality. I am into calisthenics myself; when I first started out, I wouldn't have asked someone who looked like they were on steroids and only lifting heavy weights to guide me... nor would have I used a trainer who didn't look like they could do a single push-pull movement. A fit for the purpose and all that (pun intended!).

Anyway, results matter most... so if she, Gunnar, Mike, etc are able to get the job done, I'm good.

Last edited by LAL1947 on Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:02 pm; edited 11 times in total
lakeshow03
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:47 pm    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
dabask11 wrote:

Hmm, I don't know whether to or or at that 2nd question. You ever hear of a Google search and then clicking the "Images" tab for the results? That's how. I didn't look at many results, just skimmed through a couple.

For example: here's a result for Nina that ended up being a YouTube clip. If anyone says she looks fit enough to do physical athletic training for NBA players and not just regular peeps... or that actually putting into practise physical training they'd be teaching doesn't matter here, if for no other reason than to know the result/impact of different activities/skills/techniques/etc... then fair enough, that's their opinion, everyone has one and they are able to be (or fake being) more politically correct than I am to the point of ignoring reality.

Anyway, results matter more... so if she, Gunnar, Mike, etc are able to get the job done, I'm good.

Are you saying she doesn’t have the physique to be an AT? Her job is to prevent injuries, assess disfunction etc. In other words her knowledge of biomechanics, anatomy and physiology are probably the most important parts of her job. So please explain how you can assess her knowledge of those things based on what she looks like?
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject:

lakeshow03 wrote:

Are you saying she doesn’t have the physique to be an AT? Her job is to prevent injuries, assess disfunction etc. In other words her knowledge of biomechanics, anatomy and physiology are probably the most important parts of her job. So please explain how you can assess her knowledge of those things based on what she looks like?

Here is a YouTube video of Jimmy Buckets doing athletic training with his athletic trainer.

I've already said more than once before... if her role as "Head Athletic Trainer" here is as you described, then I'm not saying anything at all. However, if the role is mainly to do athletic training similar to this video above, then yes, I'm saying I'd prefer Jimmy's trainer instead because we also happen to have the knowledge of 4 M.D.s (as in actual doctors of medicine) on the payroll.

Do you have a problem with me having a preference there? Please explain that, succinctly, if you do. Additionally, do you feel having "academic credentials" alone can help someone devise and implement training programs like in this video? Ideally, it would be someone with both... i.e., academic knowledge and also the ability to put these actions into practise... not just for 1 player, but for 15 players (or even 15/3 = 5 players, since we have 3 trainers), which I'd imagine takes considerable effort. I'd also imagine you'd look somewhat fit at the least, if doing so 5 times a week. Notice my choice of words, i.e., "somewhat fit", not jacked up or ripped or even athletic.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:

Here is a YouTube video of Jimmy Buckets doing athletic training with his athletic trainer.

I've already said more than once before... if her role as "Head Athletic Trainer" here is as you described, then I'm not saying anything at all. However, if the role is mainly to do athletic training similar to this video above, then yes, I'm saying I'd prefer Jimmy's trainer instead because we also happen to have the knowledge of 4 M.D.s (as in actual doctors of medicine) on the payroll.

Do you have a problem with me having a preference there? Please explain that, succinctly, if you do. Additionally, do you feel having "academic credentials" alone can help someone devise and implement training programs like in this video? Ideally, it would be someone with both... i.e., academic knowledge and also the ability to put these actions into practise... not just for 1 player, but for 15 players (or even 15/3 = 5 players, since we have 3 trainers), which I'd imagine takes considerable effort. I'd also imagine you'd look somewhat fit at the least, if doing so 5 times a week. Notice my choice of words, i.e., "somewhat fit", not jacked up or ripped or even athletic.

She actually does similar work as you see in the video with Jimmy Buckets, at least she did when she was Marco's assistant. As a head trainer, she'll likely have her assistants do the work.

She has no problems pushing/pulling athletes who outweigh her, it's all about it's all about balance and shifting the center of gravity. I had been a season ticket holder for the D-fenders and you'd see her before every game working with players and getting them ready. That video showing a few exhibition sessions with some underweight non-athletes doesn't quite tell the whole story.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:39 pm    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:

She actually does similar work as you see in the video with Jimmy Buckets, at least she did when she was Marco's assistant. As a head trainer, she'll likely have her assistants do the work.

She has no problems pushing/pulling athletes who outweigh her, it's all about it's all about balance and shifting the center of gravity. I had been a season ticket holder for the D-fenders and you'd see her before every game working with players and getting them ready. That video showing a few exhibition sessions with some underweight non-athletes doesn't quite tell the whole story.

Fair enough. I'll take your word for it even though I'm a doubting Thomas by nature, lol.

Btw, I appreciate the conversational manner of your reply.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject:

Nina to retain your job: you need to ensure LeBron and LeBrow play 70+ games and are healthy for the playoffs.

Do this and you will be rewarded and allowed to retain your job.

Don't do it, and I foresee a Jr. College job in your future...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: