PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:07 pm    Post subject:

Grigor Dimitrov upsets Roger Federer in the US Open Quarterfinals
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:41 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

I was playing tennis tonight so I didn't see the match, but I was checking the score and was pretty surprised that it went 5, and then was very surprised that he lost. Maybe he's finally succumbing to age. He did not have a good summer hard court season after Wimbledon at all. Or maybe he just couldn't put the two match points he had in the Wimbledon final out of his mind. Whatever it is, he had owned Dimitrov in his career before tonight, having gone 7-0 against him (now 7-1).
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:14 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Top seeds are dropping like flies.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:44 am    Post subject:

Federer looked old.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:01 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Federer looked old.

if it looks like a duck.....

In fairness, this was a big upset but I feel like the media is spinning it in a way that makes it sound like Dimitrov is some bum that stumbled off the street into Flushing Meadows and pulled off a Rocky Balboa miracle. He has struggled recently but Dimitrov has played at elite levels during periods of his career. He just has not broke through to win a big one. Just a couple years ago he was ranked 3rd in the world behind Nadal and Federer. I kind of just think the narrative is unfair to both Dimitrov and Federer. Dimitrov is extremely talented and is 10 years younger than Federer....unfortunately this is what happens in the final years of a great career.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:21 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Federer looked old.

if it looks like a duck.....

In fairness, this was a big upset but I feel like the media is spinning it in a way that makes it sound like Dimitrov is some bum that stumbled off the street into Flushing Meadows and pulled off a Rocky Balboa miracle. He has struggled recently but Dimitrov has played at elite levels during periods of his career. He just has not broke through to win a big one. Just a couple years ago he was ranked 3rd in the world behind Nadal and Federer. I kind of just think the narrative is unfair to both Dimitrov and Federer. Dimitrov is extremely talented and is 10 years younger than Federer....unfortunately this is what happens in the final years of a great career.

He's not a bum, but he wasn't even playing well entering the tournament, so that's why this is such a surprise for most in the tennis community. It's more than him only being ranked 80th or something. Sometimes, a lower-ranked player happens to be a hot player entering an event, or maybe is coming back from an injury and everyone understands that they are much, much better than their ranking would suggest. I know he's been a highly-ranked player in the past, but he hadn't even been in form entering the U.S. Open. And his draw was very easy before this match (he got a retirement from #12 seed Coric in the 2nd round and didn't face a seeded player before Federer), so it's not like we can even say he beat a bunch of top players to get this far. At 0-7 before the match against Federer, who was a -1400 favorite, this was a big shock. Again, I didn't see the match, but Federer was up two sets to one, and I'm guessing that he was tired in the final two sets. It's always been such a bad matchup for Dimitrov because Federer essentially does everything better than Grigor, similar to how Serena does everything better than Sharapova. But maybe we're simply seeing Father Time finally get to Federer, but if so, it happened very quickly. This dude had two match points against Djokovic in the Wimby final just about 2 months ago.

I'm happy for Dimitrov, though, especially since I'm not a Federer fan. Maybe this will be the start of a career renaissance for him, though I have my doubts. Medvedev has been installed as a -170 favorite in the semifinal against Dimitrov. What an opportunity for both men to reach a Slam final.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject:

C'mon Gaël. Do it for Elina.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject:

damn you fed...rip
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
damn you fed...rip

38 yrs old
Remarkable he had the year he did
43-6 on the year
French SFs
Wimbledon championship points
US QFs

Don’t know if he has one more slam left in him it’s a lot tougher winning 3/5 7 matches straight physically ... Nadal likely ties 20 with him at the French in 2020.

Yep think Nadal taking this US open
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject:

Monfils caught a break. They're closing the roof on Arthur Ashe stadium. Possibly going to rain and lightening in the area. That's going to take about 10 minutes. Where do those towels go when the ball boy/girls drop them into the blue box? Looks like they're sucked in.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject:

Monfils seemed satisfied to serve for the match. He didn't seem to go after balls from Berrettini.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject:

OK, It's a five setter!

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject:

5th set tie break!!

Monfils made it exciting. He's gone. Elin is left to fend for the couple.

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject:

That wasn't the prettiest finish, but what drama! Berrettini prevails 7-5 in the fifth set tiebreak. Berrettini needed 5 match points. He had match point up 5-3 in the fifth set and double faulted, his only one of the set. Then Monfils had him at love-30 at 5-5 but couldn't break. Then at 5-6, Monfils all of a sudden couldn't make a second serve, double faulting 3 times in that game alone, but still somehow held despite saving 2 more match points. Then in the tiebreak, Monfils served two more double faults! Berrettini was up in the breaker 5-2 and on his own serve for two points, yet lost both of those points! He finally closed it out on his own serve up 6-5 with a big serve.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
That wasn't the prettiest finish, but what drama! Berrettini prevails 7-5 in the fifth set tiebreak. Berrettini needed 5 match points. He had match point up 5-3 in the fifth set and double faulted, his only one of the set. Then Monfils had him at love-30 at 5-5 but couldn't break. Then at 5-6, Monfils all of a sudden couldn't make a second serve, double faulting 3 times in that game alone, but still somehow held despite saving 2 more match points. Then in the tiebreak, Monfils served two more double faults! Berrettini was up in the breaker 5-2 and on his own serve for two points, yet lost both of those points! He finally closed it out on his own serve up 6-5 with a big serve.

Monfils downfall was his inability get his first serve in. 1st serve 64%. When he did get it in he usually won the point. When he didn't his double fault percent was high. It killed him.

numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

Monfils downfall was his inability get his first serve in. 1st serve 64%. When he did get it in he usually won the point. When he didn't his double fault percent was high. It killed him.

His downfall was the same as it's been his entire career. Not aggressive enough and just waiting for Berretini to choke the match away instead of trying to take it. Monfils just wastes too much energy in matches and often poops out in the later rounds. That's why he's only reached two major semi-finals in his fifteen year career.

Such a waste of talent. As a junior, he was as highly touted as Nadal. I know he's gone through many coaches in his career but I honestly haven't seen much change in his game.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject:

I was rooting for Rafa but I became a fan of Diego Schartzman last night.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
jodeke wrote:

His downfall was the same as it's been his entire career. Not aggressive enough and just waiting for Berretini to choke the match away instead of trying to take it. Monfils just wastes too much energy in matches and often poops out in the later rounds. That's why he's only reached two major semi-finals in his fifteen year career.

Such a waste of talent. As a junior, he was as highly touted as Nadal. I know he's gone through many coaches in his career but I honestly haven't seen much change in his game.

I agree with every sentence in your reply, except I don't think he has entirely wasted his talent, just mostly. There's value to his showmanship and his consistency in the top 30 and he's good for the round of 16 a lot of time in Slams. But you're spot on. Also, has there ever been a better athlete? Showmanship I think is actually a plus and he's not throwing away points that way (like Kyrgios), but his waiting around lack of aggression is the reason. Plus, his mental game has generally been bad, with yesterday's sudden repeated doublefaults out of nowhere only the most recent example.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject:

His girlfriend Elina Svitolina was at his match. It drained me I can't imagine how much it drained her. I believe it'll show in her match with Serena today.

numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject:

She looked half asleep in the first game but Serena is dialed in now.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
She looked half asleep in the first game but Serena is dialed in now.

Svitolina was 0-for-6 on game points in the first two games of the match. Not ideal LOL.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Make that 0-for-9 on game points in 3 different games that Svitolina has ended up losing. And it's 4-1 Serena. Wow.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject:

Serena wins this game it's a first set ova.

DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject:

Svitolina is choking this match away. Can’t do that against a legend like Serena, who even now is better than most women on most days.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject:

Svitolina looks overwhelmed. Big stage, formidable opponent. The pressure's showing in Elina's game. Looks like I'll be able to see the NFL opener.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7
Jump to: