🎾U S OPEN TENNIS🎾
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject:

Medvedev is the first men's finalist. Dimitrov goes down in straight sets. Guess my hopes for Gregor were too high but glad to see he's got his career back on track.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Medvedev is the first men's finalist. Dimitrov goes down in straight sets. Guess my hopes for Gregor were too high but glad to see he's got his career back on track.

Dimitrov was right with him for two sets, but Medvedev is a backboard and gives away nothing, especially as the set gets late and close. Not only is he a backboard, but he moves incredibly well and defends incredibly well. He's like the new Andy Murray, although Medvedev's groundstrokes are a bit more funky.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject:

There's a chance after Sunday that there will be a WTA grand slam winner born in the 2000's before a single ATP grand slam winner born in the 90's.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject:

It's taken me until now to come around on actually cheering for Nadal. Never disliked him, but I've been on the Fed train. He a ridiculous talent and damned fun to watch...if Fed can't win, he's my guy.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject:

Early break for Andreescu,.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject:

Pressure's getting to Serena

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject:

Serena loses 1st set. I'm not surprised.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject:

I can see defeat in Serena's eyes. She going to lose the Open.

LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I can see defeat in Serena's eyes. She going to lose the Open.

Not yet
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject:

This has gotten crazy. Serena has been nervous for the whole second set, but then Andreescu felt the nerves when up 5-1. It's now 5-6, with Serena trying to take it to a 2nd set tiebreak.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject:

Never thought I'd ever be able to say this, I think Serena choked.

focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject:

I don't think Serena choked. She choked against Halep because Halep never did well on grass and it's Serena's best surface. Plus Halep is a vet and not going to be in Serena's league at the end. Osaka and especially Andreescu are going to be great in Serena's league (Andreescu for sure, Osaka I think so). As in, a legend not just a great player (which is how Halep or Kerber will be viewed IMO)

Last edited by focus on Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Never thought I'd ever be able to say this, Serena choked.

She played like crap but Andreescu took it to her today. I hope this motivates Serena to work on her fitness if she still wants to win titles. She ran into someone today she couldn't out-hit or intimidate with her serve
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
jodeke wrote:

She played like crap but Andreescu took it to her today. I hope this motivates Serena to work on her fitness if she still wants to win titles. She ran into someone today she couldn't out-hit or intimidate with her serve

When Serena's serve is off so is her game. Her 1st service was only 44%.She was off on her toss I thought the reason was nerves. In sight records can cause nerves to fray.

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject:

Serena hit better in this final than in her previous 3 losses in Slam finals. But she got out-hit. And the biggest thing? She only got 44% of her first serves in. That's rarely going to be good enough to win. I thought Serena's nerves were OK in the first set, but she clearly got tight in the second set. When she got down 5-1 in the second set, it seemed like the crowd was really willing her and perhaps Andreescu became unnerved by that a bit, and Serena was able to take advantage. They were both really tight towards the end of the match. But ultimately, Serena just didn't make enough first serves.

Also, I thought her fitness level was much better at this event. She's never going to be an A-level mover again. But earlier this year she was moving with C-level movement. I thought her movement was good enough to win majors, but she'll have to serve better for sure.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject:

Her fitness was fine. Her semifinal she moved great. I thought she was nervous even in the first, and I think that came across to Andreescu. I think everything including her serve was a function of her nerves. I also think that she could have still lost this match even if she wasn't nervous because Andreescu is that great.

Nadal going to do it tomorrow. If Medvedev was not physically worn out from lots of matches and injury, I might actually go 50 50.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
Her fitness was fine. Her semifinal she moved great. I thought she was nervous even in the first, and I think that came across to Andreescu. I think everything including her serve was a function of her nerves. I also think that she could have still lost this match even if she wasn't nervous because Andreescu is that great.

Nadal going to do it tomorrow. If Medvedev was not physically worn out from lots of matches and injury, I might actually go 50 50.

Oh yeah, Nadal is an enormous favorite.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Yeah, that match had absolutely zero to do with Serena "choking" and everything to do with being outplayed.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:

Nadal hasn't looked that good in the parts of matches I've seen. I like Medvedev's attitude. I wouldn't pick Medvedev to win, but if the odds were good enough, I'd take a flier on him.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
focus wrote:

Nadal hasn't looked that good in the parts of matches I've seen. I like Medvedev's attitude. I wouldn't pick Medvedev to win, but if the odds were good enough, I'd take a flier on him.

Nadal -550
Medvedev +420
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:38 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
focus wrote:

Nadal -550
Medvedev +420

If Nadal goes down tomorrow I think upset U S Open 2019 will be a subject discussed for awhile.

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:45 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
focus wrote:

Nadal -550
Medvedev +420

Yeah, I might take a flier on those odds.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:15 pm    Post subject:

Medvedev is amazing. So much heart in the third. Finally, a guy who goes for it. Doesn't play conservative. The last game to break had two unbelievable strokes, the first a forehand on the run. Totally unexpected. Competitive desire winning over the crowd against Nadal of all people.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject:

Still gotta like Nadal, but he may be getting tired of all things. Nadal was up a break looking beasty on the way to the title in three. But that break back game was clever. Then tight. Then he discombobulated Nadal to win the third.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject:

Stunning by Medvedev. He moved to left way off the court before Nadal served at set point in the 4th, and wailed a winner up the line. He might have set him up with previous serve on the same side, not sure. This guy attacks opponent's habits so well, punishes them for their patterns. He got in Djokovic's head in the last tournament and Nadal here.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7
Jump to: