Andrew Luck retiring from NFL
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject: Andrew Luck retiring from NFL

This escalated quickly he was just at practice a while ago and then this..

If this is what he wants so be it but damn the Colts letting Manning go the way they did looks really dumb in retrospect

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/24/report-andrew-luck-retiring-from-nfl/

Quote:
Report: Andrew Luck retiring from NFL

In the most stunning story of the year in the NFL, Colts quarterback Andrew Luck has reportedly decided to retire.

Luck will announce his retirement on Sunday, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN.

After dealing with a leg injury throughout training camp and the preseason, Luck is described as mentally worn down and ready to walk away.

The news comes as a complete shock: Luck has been widely regarded as one of the sport’s prototypical franchise quarterbacks since his days at Stanford, and when the Colts selected him with the first overall pick in the 2012 NFL draft, they believed they had an All-Pro quarterback for years to come.

Luck had great success early in his career, leading the Colts to the playoffs in each of his first three seasons.

But a shoulder injury cost him the entire 2017 season, and although he played well in 2018, he wasn’t the same quarterback. The leg injury this year has apparently made him question his love for the game, and now he’s ready to walk away, in what may be the most shocking retirement in NFL history.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Super Bowl QB's of Peyton's caliber are a rare breed, which is why it was a huge risk to let him go and hope the guy they draft could carry his success....as the Colts are finding out its not so easy.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Super Bowl QB's of Peyton's caliber are a rare breed, which is why it was a huge risk to let him go and hope the guy they draft could carry his success....as the Colts are finding out its not so easy.

I never thought Luck was on Manning's level but he was good enough that's all you really need if you have a complete team.

This is going to be a future 30 for 30. Manning being dumped by the Colts was the best way to end his career and in turn it ruined Luck's.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject:

Most shocking retirement in a long time. More than Barry Sanders because, well, running backs have short careers. Calvin Johnson was shocking too (another Lion), but this is a 29-year-old QB whose team was gearing up for success for the long haul. As a tennis guy, Bjorn Borg's retirement before age 30 when he was still at the top of his game was a stunner, too.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject:

Injuries and losing are huge factors in athletes retiring early. He probably had enough and would rather have a good quality of life.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject:

2012 QB Draft Order

1. Andrew Luck (Retired)
2. RG III (Retired)
3. Ryan Tannehill (Teetering)
4. Brandon Weedden (Retired)
5. Brock Osweiler (Teetering)
6. Russell Wilson (6 Playoff Runs, 2 Super Bowls #2 QBR of all time)
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject:

Injuries really derailed him. Coming out of Stanford, I thought he had a chance to join the Mount Olympus of QBs. It just didn't happen.

Very shocking, but he's a bright guy, he's made tons of money, and he'll do well whatever comes next.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
2012 QB Draft Order

1. Andrew Luck (Retired)
2. RG III (Retired)
3. Ryan Tannehill (Teetering)
4. Brandon Weedden (Retired)
5. Brock Osweiler (Teetering)
6. Russell Wilson (6 Playoff Runs, 2 Super Bowls #2 QBR of all time)

Russell Wilson was the best draft pick for 2012.

However RG3 is still playing he's on the Ravens as a backup.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject:

He is retiring to “travel the world”.

Very millennial. Lol.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject:

LuciusAllen wrote:
Injuries really derailed him. Coming out of Stanford, I thought he had a chance to join the Mount Olympus of QBs. It just didn't happen.

Very shocking, but he's a bright guy, he's made tons of money, and he'll do well whatever comes next.

He has to give back $12MM of his signing bonus money, AND he's giving up approximately $58MM in future earnings. He must truly feel battered from football, or a combo of that and he just doesn't love it enough. Hey, you gotta do you. If he doesn't want to play, more power to him.

Colts fans booed him as he walked off the field in street clothes. Stay classy, Indianapolis.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject:

I'm sure glad I decided to delay my fantasy draft until next week.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LuciusAllen wrote:

He has to give back $12MM of his signing bonus money, AND he's giving up approximately $58MM in future earnings. He must truly feel battered from football, or a combo of that and he just doesn't love it enough. Hey, you gotta do you. If he doesn't want to play, more power to him.

Colts fans booed him as he walked off the field in street clothes. Stay classy, Indianapolis.

Those season tickets have been paid for....imagine the product these guys paid to see a team without Luck.....
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LuciusAllen wrote:

Those season tickets have been paid for....imagine the product these guys paid to see a team without Luck.....

Still, the guy has been battered, in service of their team. I mean, I'd be absolutely stunned if I were a fan, but anger would not be my reaction. To give up that kind of money, he has to just feel beaten up. You can't put a price tag on your health and feeling good. Who knows, maybe he'll heal up for a year or two, get the itch again, and attempt a comeback. But I don't begrudge a player for walking away. It's just an absolute shocker.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject:

Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter
·
5m

Andrew Luck: “I've been stuck in this process. I haven't been able to live the life I want to live. It's taken the joy out of this game....the only way forward for me is to remove myself from football."
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject:

I'm sure he still loves the game, but injuries did him in...at some point in your career is the pain still worth it? Look at all the guys that retired from the NFL, pretty much all of them don't miss the pain the Sunday after a game.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject:

Will Brinson

@WillBrinson
·
2m

"The lack of progress on my ankle. I'm in pain. I'm still in pain. It's been four years in this rehab/injury cycle.

"For me to move forward in my life the way I want to, it doesn't involve football."
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject:

A more full quote below on this link:

https://twitter.com/JamesPalmerTV/status/1165453613965201408/photo/1
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject:

He was definitely headed for Canton.

Gil Brandt

@Gil_Brandt
·
1m

Most passing TDs in first 6 NFL seasons:

Dan Marino 196
Andrew Luck 171
Peyton Manning 167
Russell Wilson 161

Most passing yards in first 6 NFL seasons:

Peyton Manning 24,885
Dan Marino 23,856
Andrew Luck 23,671
Matt Ryan 23,472
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject:

The Brandon Roy of the NFL.

Good for him for getting paid and getting out before the bloodsport that is football further turned his body into mashed potatoes.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LuciusAllen wrote:

They should boo their ownership for the terrible OLs they put around a franchise QB who was battered to pieces over his now short career.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:

Good for him for getting paid and getting out before the bloodsport that is football further turned his body into mashed potatoes.

An unfortunate truth for the sport that a lot of us love to watch but would probably never bother to put our bodies on the line. Very few players leave the NFL unscathed.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LuciusAllen wrote:

They should boo their ownership for the terrible OLs they put around a franchise QB who was battered to pieces over his now short career.

It's a shame that their new GM did a great job to spend valuable capital on getting a better O-line, and has been a great roster-builder in general, and had built the team into a likely contender for years to come. Too little, too late, I suppose, for Luck's health.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject:

He's made $97M. Not much reason to stick around if you aren't building an elite legacy.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

An unfortunate truth for the sport that a lot of us love to watch but would probably never bother to put our bodies on the line. Very few players leave the NFL unscathed.

Modern day gladiators. At least the spoils of combat are a lot better and premature death can be held off for decades now.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:06 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LuciusAllen wrote:

It's a shame that their new GM did a great job to spend valuable capital on getting a better O-line, and has been a great roster-builder in general, and had built the team into a likely contender for years to come. Too little, too late, I suppose, for Luck's health.

Definitely, the new GM there seems to have had a strong run so far, but windows (players and teams) are so short in the NFL.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6
Jump to: