Andrew Luck retiring from NFL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

Literally no one, fan or otherwise, is saying he should compromise his well being because of their expectations.

You’re making that conflation. Which I tried to convey to you earlier but thats like trying to get a mule to ... nevermind.

I think some folks have been out of the sports threads for so long they have forgotten that sports fans vent about everything as it relates to their team and this is been happening since the advent of team sports.

It doesn’t mean Luck should risk his life. Lol. It just means fans are pissed they spent their hard earned money on tickets, merchandise, TV coverage, whatever and now aren’t going to be getting the product they bargained for. I have a feeling that the fact it is Indy fans is playing some kind of role here.

My issue with the booing and hate for Luck is not that they don't have a right to be angry but that the Colts organization gets zero blame. Do we really think they were clueless to his feelings towards retirement? I could be wrong but Luck didn't tell fans to re-up their season tickets, the Colts did. And if they had knowledge there was a possibility of a decline in the value of the product they were selling they should be held accountable. But no, blame everything on Luck. The Peyton Manning decision is proof of how much of a standup organization they are, IMO.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Literally no one, fan or otherwise, is saying he should compromise his well being because of their expectations.

You’re making that conflation. Which I tried to convey to you earlier but thats like trying to get a mule to ... nevermind.

I think some folks have been out of the sports threads for so long they have forgotten that sports fans vent about everything as it relates to their team and this is been happening since the advent of team sports.

It doesn’t mean Luck should risk his life. Lol. It just means fans are pissed they spent their hard earned money on tickets, merchandise, TV coverage, whatever and now aren’t going to be getting the product they bargained for. I have a feeling that the fact it is Indy fans is playing some kind of role here.

My issue with the booing and hate for Luck is not that they don't have a right to be angry but that the Colts organization gets zero blame. Do we really think they were clueless to his feelings towards retirement? I could be wrong but Luck didn't tell fans to re-up their season tickets, the Colts did. And if they had knowledge there was a possibility of a decline in the value of the product they were selling they should be held accountable. But no, blame everything on Luck. The Peyton Manning decision is proof of how much of a standup organization they are, IMO.

Trust me plenty of Colts fans blame the organization more than Luck despite the narrative the national media is pushing here.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject:

Didn’t Kurt Warner retire too early for some similar reasons? I always thought he had some more good years of football in him. Sure, he was years older and didn’t have the expectations that Luck came into the league with, but my initial reaction was “He is retiring NOW?”

I’m not sure how I feel about all this. I understand not wanting to have your body get destroyed from injuries, but that’s one reason why I played baseball instead of football when I was a kid.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject:

Kurt was 38 or so when he retired. You are correct though, he was still a top 5 qb at the time imo. There's no reason he couldn't go into his 40's in this era. That lightning fast release...
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject:

I admit even I would get a chuckle or two if this trainwreck ever came to pass...

https://www.tmz.com/2019/09/15/brett-favre-andrew-luck-retirement-nfl-return/

Quote:
BRETT FAVRE
FAMILY URGED ME TO PLAY AGAIN
... After Luck's Retirement
9/15/2019 12:20 AM PT

Brett Favre's family and friends just ain't ready to see him officially quit the NFL ... the 49-year-old tells TMZ Sports his phone LIT UP after Andrew Luck's retirement last month!!!

"No teams called, but I had a lot of friends and family, you know, 'Hey, the Colts could use ya!'"

Don't worry, Favre immediately shut down the idea ... saying, "No, they couldn't use me. I squashed that very quickly."

Of course, Favre has had a lengthy history with retirements and comebacks -- the guy quit football several times only to return months later.

But, the Packers legend tells us there is ZERO chance -- despite his friends and family's urges -- he returns to an NFL field again.

"It's really comical at this point because, look, I'll be 50 in three or four weeks. And, I've been far enough removed from football that I can't even believe people would think that I would consider coming back."

Favre says if this were 8 or 9 years ago ... he'd give it some thought, but he tells us there's just no way his body would hold up if an NFL team gave him a spot on their roster.

"I slip off the couch and the next day I can't even walk anymore," Brett says. "So, I just kind of get a laugh out of it."

Sorry, Jim Irsay.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Didn’t Kurt Warner retire too early for some similar reasons? I always thought he had some more good years of football in him. Sure, he was years older and didn’t have the expectations that Luck came into the league with, but my initial reaction was “He is retiring NOW?”

I’m not sure how I feel about all this. I understand not wanting to have your body get destroyed from injuries, but that’s one reason why I played baseball instead of football when I was a kid.

The difference is that Kurt Warner won a Super Bowl, had a great story line, and was elite at the height of his career. Luck's career can be characterized as a promise that was seldom kept. At his height, he bordered on very good to near elite, and most certainly wasn't a HOFer.

Warner's peak was truncated by his thumb ligaments being thrashed. He lost velocity and accuracy from his passes for years, before getting some of it back prior to retirement. Luck battled too, but he never quite ascended to the same height as Warner. Perhaps he threw in the towel too early, those extended rehab sessions seemed to get the best of him.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

The difference is that Kurt Warner won a Super Bowl, had a great story line, and was elite at the height of his career. Luck's career can be characterized as a promise that was seldom kept. At his height, he bordered on very good to near elite, and most certainly wasn't a HOFer.

Warner's peak was truncated by his thumb ligaments being thrashed. He lost velocity and accuracy from his passes for years, before getting some of it back prior to retirement. Luck battled too, but he never quite ascended to the same height as Warner. Perhaps he threw in the towel too early, those extended rehab sessions seemed to get the best of him.

Luck is the epitome of the silver spoon mentality. He was a top pick and destined for HOF. Warner on the other hand was an arena league player who would do whatever it took make it to the NFL. Couldn't be 2 more different attitudes.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:05 pm    Post subject:

I mean, Eli Manning is probably going to the HOF because he won 2 rings, had 2 great playoffs. 116-116 for his career, I think, and if you add up all of his turnovers, I think he had something like 3 more TD's than turnovers. He was a mediocre QB who is probably going into the HOF because he of the 2 rings. Luck was genuinely a very good/really good QB and if he had compiled numbers a la Phil Rivers, he probably gets into the Hall one day, and certainly if he had compiled numbers and merely one just one title, he would have. He lifted those early Colts teams that were terrible to playoff wins and an AFC title game appearance. He had a little Favre in him, turning it over more than the truly elite of the elite QB's, but his teams won and he had one of the better starts to a career for a QB ever.

(Sidebar: I mean, people talk about Donovan McNabb as a potential HOF'er, and there is no question in my mind that Andrew Luck was a better QB than McNabb was, if you take longevity out of it. But I digress.)

It's really a shame he felt like he didn't want to play anymore. I really enjoyed watching him. But I understand why he felt the way he did.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:28 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
I mean, Eli Manning is probably going to the HOF because he won 2 rings, had 2 great playoffs. 116-116 for his career, I think, and if you add up all of his turnovers, I think he had something like 3 more TD's than turnovers. He was a mediocre QB who is probably going into the HOF because he of the 2 rings.

Maybe, but it would surprise me. Plunkett never made it.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

Luck is the epitome of the silver spoon mentality. He was a top pick and destined for HOF. Warner on the other hand was an arena league player who would do whatever it took make it to the NFL. Couldn't be 2 more different attitudes.

So you are assuming that Luck didn’t do whatever it took to make it to the NFL? I’m not buying it.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

So you are assuming that Luck didn’t do whatever it took to make it to the NFL? I’m not buying it.

Oh he did what it took to make it to the NFL even to be a #1 pick. But in true Bryce Harper like fashion natural talent only took him so far.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

Oh he did what it took to make it to the NFL even to be a #1 pick. But in true Bryce Harper like fashion natural talent only took him so far.

Oh no, it wasn't talent, it was the O line that killed the beast.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
I mean, Eli Manning is probably going to the HOF because he won 2 rings, had 2 great playoffs. 116-116 for his career, I think, and if you add up all of his turnovers, I think he had something like 3 more TD's than turnovers. He was a mediocre QB who is probably going into the HOF because he of the 2 rings.

Yeah, he's the only QB with multiple rings as a starter who isn't in. Plunkett didn't have the same type of longevity, though. Due to Eli being a New York Giant and due to the 2 rings, I would bet heavily that he gets in, though I doubt it will be right away. I think it greatly helps him not just that he played for the Giants, but that they beat the Patriots for those 2 championships, with one of those ruining "the perfect season" for the Pats. I think that narrative just adds to it for him. I'm not saying I think he should get in, mind you. Just saying that I believe very strongly that he will.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Yeah, he's the only QB with multiple rings as a starter who isn't in. Plunkett didn't have the same type of longevity, though. Due to Eli being a New York Giant and due to the 2 rings, I would bet heavily that he gets in, though I doubt it will be right away. I think it greatly helps him not just that he played for the Giants, but that they beat the Patriots for those 2 championships, with one of those ruining "the perfect season" for the Pats. I think that narrative just adds to it for him. I'm not saying I think he should get in, mind you. Just saying that I believe very strongly that he will.

I checked around to see what the pundits are saying on this. You are in the majority. I am in the minority.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject:

^
I agree with you that he shouldn't get in. He's been a mediocre starting QB for his career. Never close to in the conversation for MVP, never top-5 at his position. Maybe you can say that for Rivers, too, but he's been a much better QB by the numbers. But the football culture hasn't exactly been heavy into analytics until very recently, he won his 2 titles, and he's been an NFL legacy player on an NFL flagship franchise. So he's probably going to get in. Championships and the playoffs are weighed pretty heavily in the NFL. As good of a running back as Terrell Davis was, with as short of a career as he had, do we think he gets into the Hall without his team winning back-to-back titles?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject:

^^^

Here is an article laying out exactly what a strange career Eli had:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/eli-manning-was-an-all-time-average-qb/
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6
Jump to: