Dave Chappelle and the Uncomfortable Comedy
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:48 pm    Post subject: Dave Chappelle and the Uncomfortable Comedy

If you're preemptively boycotting Chappelle's new Netflix special because of that transcribed joke that may possibly be transphobic when read out of context on Buzzfeed, you may be missing out.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:55 pm    Post subject:

"He let's out a heroin scream."
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:17 am    Post subject:

Young people (those younger than me in my mid-30s) apparently have no conception of how to process aging Gen-X humor.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject:

I watched it last night. I wasn't offended by anything, but his jokes weren't as thoughtful as they usually are. 40-something, male comedians complaining about the younger generation is just about the worst kind of comedy out there right now and he's dangerously stepping foot into it.

I was surprised to see him not chain smoking or drinking during his set though. Feel like he spent the last 3 years doing that at every venue.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:42 am    Post subject:

It's okay for people to be offended by some of his jokes. It's okay for them to voice their opinion and not watch him. And it's okay for them to group up together and support a boycott.
I thought it was funny, but not as good as his other specials.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject:

I tried watching his last special which came out like 2 years ago and found myself annoyed by his voice. Which is weird because it was never a problem before - Killin Them Softly was one of my favorite specials.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject:

Need to check this one out. Also, censorship is unconstitutional. Let Dave speak his mind.
NMLaker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject:

Uhhhh....no one is saying the government is shutting him down...
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject:

Caught this last night. Great special. DC is sharp and funny as ever. Sure he said controversial things, which is common place when you tackle a controversial subject. To me it was bold and honest, both hallmarks of great comedy. There’s a reason all his contemporaries respect the dude.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject:

Perhaps I'm being redpilled. Dave Chappelle's stand-up is going to turn me into an incel.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject:

Absolutely loved the special. Hilarious from start to finish. He’s the GOAT imo
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject:

Made me laugh
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject:

I watched Dave a little while ago. I thought he was Dave Chappelle being Dave Chappelle. It was a good stand up. I literally laughed on occasion.

One joke was illuminating.

He was called before the FCC. He was told he couldn't say the F word. He asked why was it OK to say N word with impunity but not the F word. He was told because he wasn't F. He said OK but I'm also not a N.

One thing that bothers me about Chappelle is his use of the N word. I say if you have Netflix it's worth the watch. I thought it was funny.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:01 am    Post subject:

Watched it, fell asleep in the middle. The first part wasn't funny enough to get me to give it a second try. it was ok I guess.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:24 am    Post subject:

That was funny! Eddie's Raw lite
realking24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject:

Watched it last night it was awesome. Finally something funny
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject:

I think the discomfort is Dave's jokes about Transsexuals. LBG is a relatively accepted choice,T is more or less new. It involves surgery. That takes the preferred choice to a different level. It alters sexual organs. Some are uncomfortable with that. I'm of a school, if that's your choice, so be it. To accept or not is also a choice. If the community isn't affecting you personally why interfere with someones choice? Live and let live.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I think the discomfort is Dave's jokes about Transsexuals. LBG is a relatively accepted choice,T is more or less new. It involves surgery. That takes the preferred choice to a different level. It alters sexual organs. Some are uncomfortable with that. I'm of a school, if that's your choice, so be it. To accept or not is also a choice. If the community isn't affecting you personally why interfere with someones choice? Live and let live.

His "Asian guy" impression was pretty school yard humor, when he equated feeling like an Asian person with feeling like a woman or man.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
jodeke wrote:

His "Asian guy" impression was pretty school yard humor, when he equated feeling like an Asian person with feeling like a woman or man.

I'm Black and I'm uncomfortable with Asian jokes that include facial expressions and foot shuffling. The scene near the end of El Dorado that had James Caan impersonating a Asian was so stereotypical that, IMO, made it degrading. Sorta Stepin Fetchit, foot shuffling, yasa boss like. LINK

panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject:

33% critic score, 99% audience score...

looks like dave pissed off all the right people, I hope RT doesn't pull a reverse Amy Shumer on this
Wvc0925
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject:

Funny as hell
HOF Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject:

i enjoyed it. it was better than that Aziz Ansari garbage where I couldn't hear him for half of his act.
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject:

It was funny, not his best work but I still laughed. I don't get people who get offended at stand up comedy. Buzzfeed and Vice are trash publications anyways. Vice used to be good back when they did documentaries in North Korea and Liberia. They fell off hard.
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

Dave talked about Kevin Hart getting in trouble for his gay joke. This happened today.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/kevin-hart-lil-nas-x-the-shop-gay-homophobia-181739262.html

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject:

I really don't get the outrage people have towards other's outrage. Kevin is entitled to his opinion. Same goes for Dave.
And at the same time. People who disagree or dislike those opinions have the right to express that as well.
The way older people complain about twitter outrage is funny to me. It's all freedom of speech. If you are public figure, people will have opinions on what you say and do. Good or bad. Get over it.

Now when people are prejudice towards others because of something they can't control (like their race, gender, sexuality, etc). That's a different story.

Last edited by kikanga on Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7
Jump to: