Hurricane Dorian
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject:

And now many of the spaghetti models show Dorian never making landfall and heading off toward the mid-Atlantic. And it has come close to Category 5. Whew.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject:

I was so happy when I woke up this morning and saw the track shifting. I doubt we even get any noticeable wind at this point!

I wasn't scared!

btw, reminds me of a 1999 Hurricane.....Floyd. It was also supposed to dismantle Central Florida
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject:

You'll be on the dry side, too.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

If the shift trend continues, I am not even sure we will really know it is out there. The storm I mentioned in 1999, Floyd....the day it was horizontal to us, it was dry and sunny here.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

If the shift trend continues, I am not even sure we will really know it is out there. The storm I mentioned in 1999, Floyd....the day it was horizontal to us, it was dry and sunny here.

And you thought you wouldn't be able to draft your fantasy team.

Or was that an excuse because you know what Lanny is bringing this season?

All joking aside, glad it is apparently going to miss you, stay safe.
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject:

Still lots to go in this thing. Some of the models have it shifting west some. Not going to feel OK until it’s well north of us. Hoping we avoid the worst here in Orlando.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:13 am    Post subject:

Category 5. 175 mph winds. The Bahamas are going to get flattened.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Category 5. 175 mph winds. The Bahamas are going to get flattened.

last I saw it was 185 MPH and the pressure was down to 911 MB. I dread seeing the images of Little Abaco and even Freeport. It appears Nassau and the Bimini Islands will be spared.

Dorian definitely trying to make a name for himself. If he would have crashed into South Central Florida as originally projected, he would be a definite HOF level storm.

Fwiw, 2 of the last 4 updates have tracked the storm a little closer to the coast of Florida....hope that trend ends soon.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject:

the storm is moving West at a blazing speed of 1 mph.....
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject:

the storm is moving West at a blazing speed of 1 mph.....
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:26 am    Post subject:

some of the early images from the Northern Bahama islands are not looking good at all. Even worse, my understanding is most of the stuff out there was recorded during the calm of the eye of the storm......so they still had half the storm to get through which suggests the damage will be at least 25% greater..

https://twitter.com/mvp242/status/1168227588533293056

https://twitter.com/mvp242/status/1168198450472730626

https://twitter.com/Brendeaaa/status/1168221965473210368

https://twitter.com/Vernal0/status/1168233387049586695

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1168414121714487297
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject:

The last time I checked, there was still one spaghetti strand heading straight for your living room. People who haven’t lived on the southern coastline will never understand that queasy feeling you get as you wait to see if this is your turn, or the mixed emotions that come with watching someone else (in this case, the Bahamas) get crushed..
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:48 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
The last time I checked, there was still one spaghetti strand heading straight for your living room. People who haven’t lived on the southern coastline will never understand that queasy feeling you get as you wait to see if this is your turn, or the mixed emotions that come with watching someone else (in this case, the Bahamas) get crushed..

I visited the Bahamas once, beautiful place and kind people. I feel bad for what they are going through.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

those folks on the Abaco Islands and the surrounding small islands never stood a chance in regards to their infrastructure. I have no understanding of facing down a direct hit with 185 MPH winds, but I know the vast majority of residential construction will not be able to remain intact. I know how scary it is to hear your house crackling and feel like the glass windows are bowing in and out in a Category 2 storm....just setting there waiting for some thing to fail. I will never consider riding out a legit Category 5 storm in residential construction. Many of those Islands in the North are so small, there really is no where inland to go like their would be in Puerto Rico, The Dominican and Cuba.....and a 10' surge on land that is a few feet above sea level basically turns those islands into the sea.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject:

I was shocked to read that Disney left their private island's staff on Castaway Cay. I think Royal Caribbean pulled most if not all of their staff off Coco Cay. I have never been to Castaway Cay, but I have been to Coco Cay several times, and it has similar infrastructure as Gilligan's Island. I think Disney is reporting all of their staff was reported safe this morning....but still.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject:

That last spaghetti strand moved out of your living room. But, as you know, it ain't over 'til it's over. Or, in this case, 'til the Carolinas are flooding.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
That last spaghetti strand moved out of your living room. But, as you know, it ain't over 'til it's over. Or, in this case, 'til the Carolinas are flooding.

the 11PM update also pulled the projected track slightly East away from the FL coast which is great. The storms speed is currently listed as "stationary".....which means it is just setting over the northeast Bahama Islands thrashing them.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject:

it appears Dorian will be known only for the destruction of the northern Bahama islands. It is moving again, and has began to make it's turn North remaining far enough off the coast to likely only result in strong T Storm type wind/rain for the east coast of FL over the next 36 hours. Strong possibility it never makes landfall in the US.

Fernand formed in the Gulf, but he appears to be a low ambition storm.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:52 am    Post subject:

get to the coast fast....Dorian is delivering kilo's of cocaine to the people!!

Brick of cocaine washes up on Florida beach from Hurricane Dorian waves

Quote:
A brick of cocaine washed up on a Florida beach Tuesday from waves churned up by Hurricane Dorian, police said.

At around 8 a.m., a Melbourne police officer on foot patrol at Paradise Beach Park was alerted by a beachgoer that something suspicious appeared to have washed ashore.

Quote:
Another 25 bricks, also believed to be cocaine, washed ashore on nearby Cocoa Beach, Melbourne police said. Cocoa Beach police did not immediately return a request for comment.

LINK

So if you were hanging out near a low traffic area on the beach...nobody around....and 25 kilo bricks washed up to your feet....what would you do? Street value is in the $15K per brick range?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject:

Bahamas have raised their death toll to 20. I assume it will continue to rise over the next 48 hours.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
So if you were hanging out near a low traffic area on the beach...nobody around....and 25 kilo bricks washed up to your feet....what would you do? Street value is in the $15K per brick range?

There are an awful lot of bad outcomes if you don't call the police or just get the hell out of there. There have been movies and books exploring variations on this theme.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Quote:
A brick of cocaine washed up on a Florida beach Tuesday from waves churned up by Hurricane Dorian, police said.

At around 8 a.m., a Melbourne police officer on foot patrol at Paradise Beach Park was alerted by a beachgoer that something suspicious appeared to have washed ashore.

Quote:
Another 25 bricks, also believed to be cocaine, washed ashore on nearby Cocoa Beach, Melbourne police said. Cocoa Beach police did not immediately return a request for comment.

LINK

i honestly would not touch it and call the police. no way would i consider getting caught up in something like that.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

LINK

Either do nothing or call the cops. What good would bricks of cocaine do me? I have zero connections to any drug dealers and would have zero clue as to how to make any money on any amount of cocaine that wouldn’t have a strong possibility of me being robbed/murdered.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject:

Don't put Heaven before Earth

Nothing you see. Can exist without a planet

How did we get programmed to kill our own planet?

7 billion pieces of plastic needed everyday

Our Capitalists killed the druidic people's and their religions of oneness with each other and our shared home planet

AOC is right Dorian is what Global Warming looks like and it won't get any better
Barrier reef going
Methane bursting out of caverns under melting glaciers
Ocean water temp rising bleeping up all life in the ocean and weather everywhere

Much because we trust Capitalists and Politicians to protect us??

What a species. Able to negatively effect a WHOLE PLANET
Could we have instead had the same positive effect or more if someone taught us about the health of our ecosystem as a course in grade school.?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:54 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:

There are an awful lot of bad outcomes if you don't call the police or just get the hell out of there. There have been movies and books exploring variations on this theme.

Yeah I know. Now if it was a crate of cartel cash and I did not have any kids...I would have to think about that one.

Anyway, I have seen no speculation on its origins. Is it more likely the storm took out a boat that was carrying, traffickers had heat on them and had to dump their load, or is it even possible that it was picked up in the Bahama's by Dorian?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: