Anthony Davis vs prime Kevin Garnett
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Better player?
Anthony Davis
54%
 54%  [ 39 ]
Prime Kevin Garnett
45%
 45%  [ 33 ]
Total Votes : 72

CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject: Anthony Davis vs prime Kevin Garnett

Since Davis stomped Dwight pretty overwhelmingly (40-4) in the last poll, let's try this one...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject:

KG was a beast, but if AD can develop into a reliable 3pt threat he might surpass him.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject:

Kevin Davis

or

Anthony Garnett
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject:

https://streamable.com/pelpn

If KG played in San Antonio his whole career he'd be regarded the same way Duncan is.
Kobesystem
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:37 pm    Post subject:

KG...
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject:

AD, imo, is the new KG.

Could a great coach system have won championships around him... yup. AD is on that level of talent.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject:

Just like the Hakeem thread it's hard to judge AD as he just turned 26 this year.. He's barely just entering his prime now.. He absolutely has the potential to be just as good as Garnett (Possibly even better) imo but he still has a lot to prove. Only time will tell now.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject:

KG
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject:

KG is great. Hopefully AD can be at that level, and there's nothing to indicate that he cant. KG was better than Duncan.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

If KG played in San Antonio his whole career he'd be regarded the same way Duncan is.

Why is that? Everyone regards Duncan as top 10 whereas KG is considered anywhere from top 20 to top 30 in most rankings.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject:

KG was at the very worst top 10 in his generation
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject:

Ugh. THIS one's tough. I like AD, I couldn't stand KG as a Celtic. That said, I have go with prime KG. Tremendous length and athleticism, and a lot of fight in him. Key role in winning a title. We can only hope AD as a Laker can match KG in his prime.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Why is that? Everyone regards Duncan as top 10 whereas KG is considered anywhere from top 20 to top 30 in most rankings.

so many annoying gimmicks with Duncan....
he swindled everyone to call him "Greatest power foward" in order to deflect from the fact that otherwise he would be a sub-par 7footer, which is really what he is. so because he would never be better than Shaq, he started this whole position gimmick. it wasa controversial at the time too, but everyone has forgotten. one of the benefits was making all star teams when otherwise he might me 2nd to shaq or something like that. there would be centers on the team that played center less than he did. the whole Drob thing....he was just another center, like Drob. just like Hakeem and Sampson were both centers....just like Mcg and Dwight are both centers.
next, KG is way better IMO. More athletic, more fierce, more everything.

The "fundamental" gimmick. what is that, a compliment? you ever seen a guy do great on the court and go up to him and say "man, you are so fundumental!" more like bore-damental.

all that to explain why hes so boring. hes boring because he is not great. great players are fun. there are no boring great players. being great means you are so good, you have style to spare. you cant show style if you can barely play, right? same thing.

theres part of my duncan rant. i wont even bring up that he is only brought up in discussions to diminish Kobe's true greatness. its always to show that ANOTHER guy also won 5 rings, so kobe isnt the best. or maybe duncan is better. nobody standalone would choose DUncan over like the top 10-20 big men in history.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
Just like the Hakeem thread it's hard to judge AD as he just turned 26 this year.. He's barely just entering his prime now.. He absolutely has the potential to be just as good as Garnett (Possibly even better) imo but he still has a lot to prove. Only time will tell now.
Talent-wise, they are very comparable

The one difference that KG showed since he played in the NBA is his passion, energy and the aura that he will KILL to win (ala Kobe)

This is comparing KG and AD from their rookie season plus 4-5 season

AD is great, bug KG put the TWolves on his back as far as he could take them.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Because Tim was consistently surrounded by all star level talent where as KG was on Minnesota. KG was a much better player and had a much. Enter peak than Tim. Tim is so highly regarded because of his winning. People tend to take away from Pop and teammates when looking at Tim’s success.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

Agreed. Duncan was great, but his career was certainly enhanced by being in SA's system with Pop leading the way for his whole career.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Agreed. Duncan was great, but his career was certainly enhanced by being in SA's system with Pop leading the way for his whole career.

Nice to see other people say this as well.. I always thought the same thing, Duncan is without question an all time great but it kind of amazes me how all these other guys constantly get brought down because of the "help" they had.. IDK of many other greats that had more consistent help then Duncan did. Props to him for staying humble and consistent for so long but there is no way I would ever take a prime Duncan over a prime KG.

Another sport I know but this debate reminds me A LOT of the people that try and say Champ Bailey was better then Deion Sanders because he was so complete and fundamentally sound as a football player. They are two of the greatest but I watched both play and Deion was just at another entire level in his prime (Literally the deciding factors why both the Niners and Cowboys won when he switched teams) but he wasn't "humble" so there's a lot of people that cant stand him for it. Duncan and Champ both get those weird extra points because they were quiet and just fell in line which when things are all said and done shouldn't be a factor imo.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
IDK of many other greats that had more consistent help then Duncan did.

Well . . . let's not get carried away. Russell, Magic, and Bird jump to mind, but really most of the greats had pretty consistent help. A major consideration for being a "great" is winning rings, and guys don't win rings with a team of average players.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:08 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
hype wrote:
IDK of many other greats that had more consistent help then Duncan did.

Well . . . let's not get carried away. Russell, Magic, and Bird jump to mind, but really most of the greats had pretty consistent help. A major consideration for being a "great" is winning rings, and guys don't win rings with a team of average players.

Of course but he hardly ever had any of those transition or rebuild years like many other greats had to go through. He was able to just kind of casually go from the first to third option on any given night most of his career. If anything, that's a pretty ideal situation for any player to be in. There were a few other guys as well which is why I said not many others. It's also why he only has one game I believe his entire career over 50 points and around 5-8 I believe 40+. He always had the help and hardly ever had to carry an entire team.

He's still clearly an all time great player without question though, I just personally don't think he's the GOAT pf or anywhere close to top 10 all time which I sometimes see people contemplating putting him in.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:19 am    Post subject:

I'd argue that if Kobe/Duncan were a pair, they'd have more rings than Shaq/Kobe.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:52 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I'd argue that if Kobe/Duncan were a pair, they'd have more rings than Shaq/Kobe.

My dude, you need to rewatch prime three-peat Shaq, he was the best player in the league post MJ-pre Kobe
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:03 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

My dude, you need to rewatch prime three-peat Shaq, he was the best player in the league post MJ-pre Kobe

I was there for that. But I'm talking longevity.

Shaq was a greater force than TD in his prime. But TD had a longer trajectory. That's my point.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:04 am    Post subject:

Shaq/Kobe won 3 rings and had personal issues.

I don't see that happening with Kobe/TD as much long term. I think they surpass 3 rings as a duo.
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:20 am    Post subject:

AD is not just better than KG, hes A LOT better. I think some of you all are being overly nostalgic. KG has never put up the numbers that AD has, nor possessed the overall skill set.

When AD's career is over, he will be regarded as the better player.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:21 am    Post subject:

Harlemlakerfan wrote:
AD is not just better than KG, hes A LOT better. I think some of you all are being overly nostalgic. KG has never put up the numbers that AD has, nor possessed the overall skill set.

When AD's career is over, he will be regarded as the better player.

I remember obsessing over the Lakers getting KG back in the 2000s. Kobe/KG would have been such a nightmare duo in practice. Imagine how many people would be crying.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6
Jump to: