Vlade Divac Hall Of Fame Speech
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: Vlade Divac Hall Of Fame Speech

Congrats, Vlade!
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:09 pm    Post subject:

KOBE
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Vlade Divac Hall Of Fame Speech

Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpBfr5r9jVE

Congrats, Vlade!

I know Vlade was a good international player, but I can't reconcile him as a Hall of Famer based on his 16 years as a good but nothing special NBA player. If the Lakers retire his jersey, I will be surprised.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Vlade Divac Hall Of Fame Speech

activeverb wrote:
Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:

Congrats, Vlade!

I know Vlade was a good international player, but I can't reconcile him as a Hall of Famer based on his 16 years as a good but nothing special NBA player. If the Lakers retire his jersey, I will be surprised.

He's getting in for his OVERALL contributions. The HOF lets everybody in it seems anyways. I don't even think there are discussions of retiring his Laker jersey. Lakers don't do that. We ain't the Celtics, if we were, Byron Scott, AC Green, Pau Gasol, Michael Cooper, Robert Horry... they'd all be retired.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Vlade Divac Hall Of Fame Speech

Runway8 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:

Congrats, Vlade!

He's getting in for his OVERALL contributions. The HOF lets everybody in it seems anyways. I don't even think there are discussions of retiring his Laker jersey. Lakers don't do that. We ain't the Celtics, if we were, Byron Scott, AC Green, Pau Gasol, Michael Cooper, Robert Horry... they'd all be retired.

I think Gasol might get his number retired. Back to Back chips are no joke.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:00 am    Post subject:

IIRC, Lakers have retired uniform #’s of only HOF honorees, not sure if VD12 will be up in the rafters though.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:12 am    Post subject:

Vlade never won a ring as a Laker (or in his entire career). He played in the 91 Finals with Magic but that team lost. Based on that his career as a Laker isn’t going to stand out. Pretty good player though. But he didn’t even stand out next to players like Van Exel and Eddie Jones.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Vlade Divac Hall Of Fame Speech

LaLaLakeShow wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:

Congrats, Vlade!

Who makes these decisions? The Lakers used to seem bigger than what they are when it was ran by Dr. Buss. I imagined a committee of basketball minds working together in Buss, West, Riles, Kupchak, Bertka, etc. Now it's burned in my head, it's one lady making decisions as she feels fit. So yeah, Gasol could get in one day, depending on how she's feeling that day.

Does the league make recommendations when they see someone's # should be retired? I don't trust Jeannie to understands the difference in talent between Pau and Vlade.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Vlade Divac Hall Of Fame Speech

Runway8 wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:

Congrats, Vlade!

Who makes these decisions? The Lakers used to seem bigger than what they are when it was ran by Dr. Buss. I imagined a committee of basketball minds working together in Buss, West, Riles, Kupchak, Bertka, etc. Now it's burned in my head, it's one lady making decisions as she feels fit. So yeah, Gasol could get in one day, depending on how she's feeling that day.

Does the league make recommendations when they see someone's # should be retired? I don't trust Jeannie to understands the difference in talent between Pau and Vlade.

Yeah, I’m not sure how it works
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Vlade Divac Hall Of Fame Speech

Runway8 wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:

Congrats, Vlade!

This has nothing to do with the league. Any team can retire any number they want. Traditionally, the Lakers have retired only guys who made a significant contribution to the team and made the Hall of Fame. I doubt there's ever been any kind of committee on this. All the numbers we were tired and pretty much been no-brainers.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Vlade Divac Hall Of Fame Speech

activeverb wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:

Congrats, Vlade!

This has nothing to do with the league. Any team can retire any number they want. Traditionally, the Lakers have retired only guys who made a significant contribution to the team and made the Hall of Fame. I doubt there's ever been any kind of committee on this. All the numbers we were tired and pretty much been no-brainers.

what if LeBron win 1 but only 4 yrs as PnG (hope he does)? jersey in rafter?
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject:

Home court advantage

RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Vlade Divac Hall Of Fame Speech

governator wrote:

what if LeBron win 1 but only 4 yrs as PnG (hope he does)? jersey in rafter?

Wilt played 5 years for the Lakers and only got one ring here and had his jersey retired. There is precedent for this. So yeah, I fully expect Lebron will get his jersey retired for one championship.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject:

Surprised to see Vlade in the HOF, but he's only in because of his international contributions. There's no way Jeannie will retire his jersey. He never brought a championship here as a Laker. Pau's jersey retirement should be a lock imo.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject:

Lakers retire jersey for HOFers AND champions.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:

Do you think Pau will be inducted? I hope so
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:

No jersey retirements for Lakers All-Stars?
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Vlade Divac Hall Of Fame Speech

activeverb wrote:

I gotta agree and am very surprised he is considered a HOF'r.

He had is moments, but was average or slightly above average at best, the HOF should be reserved for players in the Top 5 or 10% while Vlade was quite a bit lower.

The best thing Vlade ever did was get traded for Kobe!
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
KOBE

haha, you got me on that one. The immediacy.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Vlade never won a ring as a Laker (or in his entire career). He played in the 91 Finals with Magic but that team lost. Based on that his career as a Laker isn’t going to stand out. Pretty good player though. But he didn’t even stand out next to players like Van Exel and Eddie Jones.

Gotta differ, SteveO. The Lake Show years were his best statistically. That was the best he ever got, imo. Although, he became a much better passer by the time he was in Sac. He was a good passer with us, but he was higher level later on. A lot fewer "Vlade, you dum dum!" (Chick phrase) plays.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

Gotta differ, SteveO. The Lake Show years were his best statistically. That was the best he ever got, imo. Although, he became a much better passer by the time he was in Sac. He was a good passer with us, but he was higher level later on. A lot fewer "Vlade, you dum dum!" (Chick phrase) plays.

The team didn’t do (bleep) with him after 91. 92 was a first round exit, 93 was a losing record followed by a first round exit, 94 was a horrible season with no playoffs and almost 50 losses, 95 was a second round exit, 96 was a first round exit. Vlade wasn’t even an all-star in those years and didn’t even contribute as much as Cedric Ceballos in 95; Ceballos was considered the leader of the team.

You think Vlade stands out as a Laker? I don’t remember anyone saying they missed him after the team picked up Shaq.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject:

How the hell did Divac make the Hall of Fame? He was a one-time all-star and a low-tier one even during that one year. Unbelievable.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject:

The NBA needs its own Hall of Fame.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:

Not true in Baylor's case.

In a way I'm glad this happened in that it might finally open the door for Lakers like Cooper and Horry.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
danzag wrote:

Not true in Baylor's case.

In a way I'm glad this happened in that it might finally open the door for Lakers like Cooper and Horry.

The Lakers consider him a champion, since he played 9 games that season.
They sent him a championship ring.

I'm OK with that.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: