Vlade Divac Hall Of Fame Speech
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 16 Apr 2001
Posts: 13488

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
danzag wrote:
Lakers retire jersey for HOFers AND champions.


Not true in Baylor's case.

In a way I'm glad this happened in that it might finally open the door for Lakers like Cooper and Horry.

What about Lakers All-Stars like Cedric Ceballos, Nick Van Exel, Eddie Jones, A.C. Green, Andrew Bynum, Norm Nixon?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 02 Jan 2011
Posts: 34754
Location: 502 Bad Gateway

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
IIRC, Lakers have retired uniform #’s of only HOF honorees, not sure if VD12 will be up in the rafters though.


He was absolutely a fan favorite here. I can't imagine that he won't get it.

I think the statues have replaced the jersey display as the higher tier anyway.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 02 Jan 2011
Posts: 34754
Location: 502 Bad Gateway

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
danzag wrote:
Lakers retire jersey for HOFers AND champions.


Not true in Baylor's case.

In a way I'm glad this happened in that it might finally open the door for Lakers like Cooper and Horry.

What about Lakers All-Stars like Cedric Ceballos, Nick Van Exel, Eddie Jones, A.C. Green, Andrew Bynum, Norm Nixon?


Those two, for very different reasons (champion contributions, bad ass multiple time all-star), I think would qualify. Also, Odom.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 22302

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject:

There won't be any numbers left at this rate.
_________________
The Dennis Miller of LG.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 02 Jan 2011
Posts: 34754
Location: 502 Bad Gateway

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
danzag wrote:
Lakers retire jersey for HOFers AND champions.


Not true in Baylor's case.

In a way I'm glad this happened in that it might finally open the door for Lakers like Cooper and Horry.


The Lakers consider him a champion, since he played 9 games that season.
They sent him a championship ring.

I'm OK with that.


You're right. I forgot that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
RhodyRay
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 13 Apr 2001
Posts: 5243
Location: A room with a view!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Vlade Divac Hall Of Fame Speech

unleasHell wrote:
activeverb wrote:
I know Vlade was a good international player, but I can't reconcile him as a Hall of Famer based on his 16 years as a good but nothing special NBA player. If the Lakers retire his jersey, I will be surprised.


I gotta agree and am very surprised he is considered a HOF'r.

He had is moments, but was average or slightly above average at best, the HOF should be reserved for players in the Top 5 or 10% while Vlade was quite a bit lower.

The best thing Vlade ever did was get traded for Kobe!


...And gave one of the best assists in basketball history to Robert Horry for the game winning trey! For that alone Vlade deserves a Laker statue! He did help the Lakers win a ring.
_________________
Let them HATE so long as they FEAR!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
SGVL1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 02 Apr 2014
Posts: 632

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject:

Vlade will never get his number retired. If he does, Fish Coop and horry deserve theirs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 28269

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Vlade Divac Hall Of Fame Speech

governator wrote:


what if LeBron win 1 but only 4 yrs as PnG (hope he does)? jersey in rafter?


Depends on what he does in those four years.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Apr 2002
Posts: 12666

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject:

Which brings up HOF/2X Laker Champion Bob "Much Ado" McAdoo.

IIRC, the Clippers honored him (he was a Buffalo Brave, the original name of the Clippers), but never played for them in SD or LA.

He was a key member of the '81-'82 and '84-'85 Laker champions.
_________________
Maginka is doing a good job.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
2019
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 03 Dec 2014
Posts: 7371

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject:

LaLaLakeShow wrote:
danzag wrote:
Lakers retire jersey for HOFers AND champions.


Do you think Pau will be inducted? I hope so


I think they definitely will.

Nobody has worn 16 since he left and I'm not sure if that's coincidental or it was denied.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 37498

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:09 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Which brings up HOF/2X Laker Champion Bob "Much Ado" McAdoo.

IIRC, the Clippers honored him (he was a Buffalo Brave, the original name of the Clippers), but never played for them in SD or LA.

He was a key member of the '81-'82 and '84-'85 Laker champions.


https://youtu.be/LV-aaca3E0I?t=4m10s
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Apr 2001
Posts: 133878
Location: The Gold Coast

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
How the hell did Divac make the Hall of Fame? He was a one-time all-star and a low-tier one even during that one year. Unbelievable.


It’s a basketball HOF, not an NBA HOF. We have this discussion every year, you would think that it would eventually stick.
_________________
How about those Blues!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Nobody
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 13 Sep 2008
Posts: 5123
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject:

Meh, I'm disappointed. They should've played a special Shaq tribute to Vlade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKhP3PnB_xM
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
JerryWest_44
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 22 May 2004
Posts: 13561

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Vlade Divac Hall Of Fame Speech

LaLaLakeShow wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpBfr5r9jVE

Congrats, Vlade!


I know Vlade was a good international player, but I can't reconcile him as a Hall of Famer based on his 16 years as a good but nothing special NBA player. If the Lakers retire his jersey, I will be surprised.


He's getting in for his OVERALL contributions. The HOF lets everybody in it seems anyways. I don't even think there are discussions of retiring his Laker jersey. Lakers don't do that. We ain't the Celtics, if we were, Byron Scott, AC Green, Pau Gasol, Michael Cooper, Robert Horry... they'd all be retired.


I think Gasol might get his number retired. Back to Back chips are no joke.


Pau’s international career with Spain, Olympic medals, NBA ROY, all star appearances, 2 chips with the purple & gold and undoubtedly a future HOFer is a shoe-in for having his jersey hanging next to Kobe’s and Wilt’s
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Nov 2007
Posts: 18060

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
Vlade never won a ring as a Laker (or in his entire career). He played in the 91 Finals with Magic but that team lost. Based on that his career as a Laker isn’t going to stand out. Pretty good player though. But he didn’t even stand out next to players like Van Exel and Eddie Jones.


Gotta differ, SteveO. The Lake Show years were his best statistically. That was the best he ever got, imo. Although, he became a much better passer by the time he was in Sac. He was a good passer with us, but he was higher level later on. A lot fewer "Vlade, you dum dum!" (Chick phrase) plays.


The team didn’t do (bleep) with him after 91. 92 was a first round exit, 93 was a losing record followed by a first round exit, 94 was a horrible season with no playoffs and almost 50 losses, 95 was a second round exit, 96 was a first round exit. Vlade wasn’t even an all-star in those years and didn’t even contribute as much as Cedric Ceballos in 95; Ceballos was considered the leader of the team.

You think Vlade stands out as a Laker? I don’t remember anyone saying they missed him after the team picked up Shaq.


Go easy, bro. I don't care what the team did, I'm talking about Vlade's statistic output. The best he ever got as an individual were the 94 and 95 versions. Nothin to do w/ missing him either. I was more than happy to see him go and pissed that he tried to screw up the the Kobe deal by threatening to retire until someone thankfully talked him out of it. You might've mistook my intentions there. Wasn't tryin to start a Walmart parking lot deathfight.
_________________
GOAT MAGIC REEL
SEDALE TRIBUTE
EDDIE DONX!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 21 Aug 2005
Posts: 1011

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject:

It's the basketball HOF not the NBA HOF. Vlade is in for international play. He will not have his jersey retired. Lakers do retire jersey's of HOF players at their discretion. Because they have retired so many they simply don't consider guys not in the HOF. I cannot think of any Laker getting his jersey retired going forward. Kobe technically had his retired before entering the HOF but he is a first ballot HOFer so it is just when not if.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Sep 2005
Posts: 5695

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
How the hell did Divac make the Hall of Fame? He was a one-time all-star and a low-tier one even during that one year. Unbelievable.


It’s a basketball HOF, not an NBA HOF. We have this discussion every year, you would think that it would eventually stick.

It's just the modern mindset - you have to dominate and win multiple accolades to be considered "great." Fortunately, once people actually do a little digging into basketball history, the definition broadens out a bit.

As far as Vlade goes - he made a very significant contribution to international basketball, was part of the very early vanguard of international players joining the NBA, and was a progenitor of the current-day NBA center - mobile, guard skills, etc. An in-shape Vlade (no smoking, modern training techniques) would be a very good player today. His HOF admission is well-deserved.

I think the line is a little blurry about whether the Lakers should retire his number. But if the Buss policy is that you get your number retired for being a significant contributor to the Lakers and an HOFer, regardless of championships won, then maybe it happens. If Jeanie factors in his lack of titles, then who knows.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2003
Posts: 1773
Location: H-Town

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:24 pm    Post subject:

Vlade had a big contribution to that 91 team. He lead that team is Fg%, Reb, Blks and Stls in the regular season and was one of two lakers who showed up in the finals averaging 19 pts and 8 reb.
Looking back at his game then, he was ahead of his time with his style of play and terribly undervalued by Laker fans. No question Vlade would be in the discussion with the top NBA Centers today.
_________________
A.D 2019- The Year of the Brow.
“I’m the best player in the world.”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 2180

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject:

cthroatgtr wrote:
It's the basketball HOF not the NBA HOF. Vlade is in for international play. He will not have his jersey retired. Lakers do retire jersey's of HOF players at their discretion. Because they have retired so many they simply don't consider guys not in the HOF. I cannot think of any Laker getting his jersey retired going forward. Kobe technically had his retired before entering the HOF but he is a first ballot HOFer so it is just when not if.


You don't think the Lakers will retire #16?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
24ways2die
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 May 2015
Posts: 2634

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:21 pm    Post subject:

Still remember Vlade’s presser after the Horry shot when he said lucky shot, doesn’t take any skill


Hated Vlade and his flopping on the Queens but congrats to him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 02 Jan 2011
Posts: 34754
Location: 502 Bad Gateway

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:01 pm    Post subject:

ksmgf wrote:
cthroatgtr wrote:
It's the basketball HOF not the NBA HOF. Vlade is in for international play. He will not have his jersey retired. Lakers do retire jersey's of HOF players at their discretion. Because they have retired so many they simply don't consider guys not in the HOF. I cannot think of any Laker getting his jersey retired going forward. Kobe technically had his retired before entering the HOF but he is a first ballot HOFer so it is just when not if.


You don't think the Lakers will retire #16?


It would be an extraordinary diss if they didn't since his best years were in Los Angeles. I've been a Laker fan a long time and this is the first I'm hearing of a championship requirement to make the rafters (probably because of Baylor's very iffy status in that regard). It strikes me as changing the rules of the game because you don't like the outcome. There's no reason for them to be petty about this.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LaLaLakeShow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 04 Aug 2019
Posts: 414

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Vlade Divac Hall Of Fame Speech

JerryWest_44 wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpBfr5r9jVE

Congrats, Vlade!


I know Vlade was a good international player, but I can't reconcile him as a Hall of Famer based on his 16 years as a good but nothing special NBA player. If the Lakers retire his jersey, I will be surprised.


He's getting in for his OVERALL contributions. The HOF lets everybody in it seems anyways. I don't even think there are discussions of retiring his Laker jersey. Lakers don't do that. We ain't the Celtics, if we were, Byron Scott, AC Green, Pau Gasol, Michael Cooper, Robert Horry... they'd all be retired.


I think Gasol might get his number retired. Back to Back chips are no joke.


Pau’s international career with Spain, Olympic medals, NBA ROY, all star appearances, 2 chips with the purple & gold and undoubtedly a future HOFer is a shoe-in for having his jersey hanging next to Kobe’s and Wilt’s


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 28269

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:05 pm    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:
No question Vlade would be in the discussion with the top NBA Centers today.



I think you're overstating it. Divac was a solid center, with good passing skills, but he was never an elite player in the NBA. He made one all-star team as a replacement, which reflected the weakness of the center position in '01 more than how good he was.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 28269

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:20 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:

It would be an extraordinary diss if they didn't since his best years were in Los Angeles. I've been a Laker fan a long time and this is the first I'm hearing of a championship requirement to make the rafters (probably because of Baylor's very iffy status in that regard). It strikes me as changing the rules of the game because you don't like the outcome. There's no reason for them to be petty about this.



There is no official policy for what players the Lakers retire. By tradition, they only retire guys who have made the Hall of Fame.

That said, the Lakers haven't retired every Hall of Famer who played on the team. Altogether, there are 9 guys in the Hall of Fame who played for the Lakers whose numbers we've haven't retired. For example, Bob McAdoo and Spencer Haywood are Hall of Famers who were key contributors to Lakers championship teams but their numbers haven't been retired.

For me, the criteria would be: Was the players Lakers career a primary reason he became a Hall of Famer or at least was his career here anywhere close to a Hall of Fame level?

In Vlade's case, I'd say the answer is no. He's in the Hall because of his international career, so I wouldn't retire his number as a Laker.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 29 Jan 2016
Posts: 835
Location: The Dark Side of the Moon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:33 pm    Post subject:

I don’t see Vlade as a Hall of Famer but they’re letting so many people in these days. Vlade will not and should not have his jersey retired here. That’d be like retiring Mitch Richmond’s number but worse. Richmond was a better player over their careers and on a championship team.

Pau will absolutely be a Hall of Famer. He won 2 titles as the 2nd best guy on 3 straight Finals teams for the LAKERS. 20k plus points, multiple all star and all nba, and imo one of the best bigs in the NBA in his prime, which was with the LAKERS. Throw in being the best player in Europe before the NBA and his Spanish national team contributions, Pau is a lock. I mean Vlade Divac is in lol. Is Chris Webber even in yet?

Considering how important he was for us, winning 2 titles and spending what 7 years or so with us, #16 should be retired. It will deservedly be up there beside #8 and #24. Being a Hall of Famer is the minimum criteria. And a champion (save for Elgin, kinda). That’s why you still see guys wearing Fisher, Odom, Horry, Scott, Cooper’s numbers. We ain’t the Celtics over here.

If LeBron lands us a title, I’m all for him being up there. But that’s TBD. I don’t think he should if there is no championship.
_________________
We pour this booze and we drink this booze because we think it's yummy. YUMMY! So over the tounge and down the throat to party in our tummys.
DOWN THE HOLA BITC*OLA!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB