Prime (Orlando) Dwight Howard vs Anthony Davis
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Better player?
Prime Dwight Howard
12%
 12%  [ 6 ]
Anthony Davis
87%
 87%  [ 42 ]
Total Votes : 48

ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject:

AD is by far superior to what prime Dwight was. Dwight always got held back by his mental approach to training and improving his skillset/adding and adapting to trends in the NBA.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject:

D12 took his team to the finals. AD is top two big man in the NBA but D12 beat LBJ head to head in the eastern confernce finals.

A prime 2009 D12 is better than AD right now, however AD is just entering his prime and isnt done improving.

Like kobe_4_mvp said, the Lakers never even got a prime D-12
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject:

DH is a freakier athlete (no pun intended) but not by much. AD is a much more skilled, all-around basketball player.
Both will eventually be HOFers.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject:

oops
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, DH was an athletic freak with freakish rebounding, leaping, shot blocking, but AD was and is a much better basketball player.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject:

I tell you what, either the case, we don't have prime Dwight like in his Orlando days. But we do have prime Dwight in terms of being "lean" and "muscle." What that means? I don't know, but add AD to that, and who knows.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:43 am    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
I tell you what, either the case, we don't have prime Dwight like in his Orlando days. But we do have prime Dwight in terms of being "lean" and "muscle." What that means? I don't know, but add AD to that, and who knows.

It means we can have both JaVale and Dwight go full throttle on defense all games and switch out when tired (both need to learn that other than pick n roll, they not getting the ball on offense)... then last 5 mins of game, sit down and enjoy the AD at the 5 show
a2j1m
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject:

easily AD. AD can play in any type system. Howard needs a certain type of cast to be effective and win games. Basically he needs shooters everywhere. AD is alot more versatile, scorer and id say defender.
Kobesystem
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject:

Depends what you need......

However, overall, AD is better than Howard in his prime.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
lar9149 wrote:

It means we can have both JaVale and Dwight go full throttle on defense all games and switch out when tired (both need to learn that other than pick n roll, they not getting the ball on offense)... then last 5 mins of game, sit down and enjoy the AD at the 5 show

That is pretty much the way I see it at this point..as I think a lineup like Kuzma/Green/Bradley or Caruso/AD/Lebron to end games.

However, seeing how Howard has really prepared himself, I don't know what to expect him besides great defense and screens. It is possible he can be more than that and maybe even possible he may improved his free throw shooting..perhaps making him a candidate to end games too. But that is an optimistic point of view. There isn't much evidence of that as of yet.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
The one that had both an offensive and defensive game.

What's crazy about Dwight is that his only offensive moves were lobs, putbacks, and a baby hook and yet he still averaged 22.9 PPG two seasons before we got him the first time around. And he led the league in field goal percentage almost every single year.

If this guy had a post game and a jumper, just imagine how could he would have been on offense. And then consider that he was also the most dominant defender and rebounder in the league... This guy should have been an absolutely ridiculous player-- better than Shaq.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject:

AD's more skilled, but prime Dwight had more postseason success. Then again, Dwight was in the East. I'm thinking AD's team that spanked the Blazers and got to the semis against the Warriors would've beat a lot of Eastern Conference teams. Maybe even all of them.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
epak wrote:

What's crazy about Dwight is that his only offensive moves were lobs, putbacks, and a baby hook and yet he still averaged 22.9 PPG two seasons before we got him the first time around. And he led the league in field goal percentage almost every single year.

If this guy had a post game and a jumper, just imagine how could he would have been on offense. And then consider that he was also the most dominant defender and rebounder in the league... This guy should have been an absolutely ridiculous player-- better than Shaq.

literally any nba player can average 20 ppg if the team says they are the primary option/ballhandler.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
epak wrote:

literally any nba player can average 20 ppg if the team says they are the primary option/ballhandler.

Pretty much if you think about Shaq were lobs, putbacks, and a baby hook with drop step. And he was so much better than anyone else at these. But Shaq was better in the post and I think the reason why he had better basketball IQ on the offensive end..I still think Dwight lacks some ability to read defenses and pass appropriately and that is why his post game suffers. And also the game has changed from the days of Shaq..I still wonder how Shaq would do in todays NBA.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:02 am    Post subject:

People giving Dwight credit for taking a team to the NBA Finals. Which he deserved, but it was in the East and I do think if you traded that Dwight for Anthony Davis, meaning that Dwight played on New Orleans teams the last few years and that AD played on those Magic teams, the Pelicans do not get out of the first round in the tough west, while AD and the Magic would get to the Finals at some point.

I think their impact in prime is neck and neck. I thought a lot about Dwight as a player, think he is major impact on D. Great at holding position down low. Even now I think Dwight if he is healthy will be a significant impact player for us.

However he has a clear weakness to his game that has held him back to being an all time great. AD has a chance to become an all time great. Outside of taking some bad shots, AD has literally no weaknesses in his game. If AD maximizes his talents, and the team is built the right way around him, he will be on the level of the best players in the league like you would argue for Kawhi, Giannis, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:10 am    Post subject:

Dwight was a durable player up until the back injury. He obviously has the physical tools over AD. That’s probably his best leg up. But skill wise not even close IMO.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: