Was Magic the Worst GM in Lakers History?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Was Magic the worst GM in Lakers history?
Yes
64%
 64%  [ 32 ]
No
36%
 36%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 50

Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Whether you credit Magic or Rob, both had as little to do with getting Lebron and AD as I did.

Lebron already wanted to come to LA, he just wanted the Buss family drama gone. They could have put anyone as GM.

AD and his agent already wanted to come here. Pelinka gave up everything but Kyle Kuzma, which many think was one of the assets he should've most readily given up. His on the margin moves have been overpaying Danny Green and overpaying KCP.

I award no stars. Both share Worst Laker GM Ever title.

Danny Green isn’t overpaid, he deserves every money we gave him..

It's a testament to our lack of depth that he's our third best player/highest paid guy. He would be 4th or 5th best on a true contender.

Danny Green is a winner and that’s what matters to us...
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject:

I genuinely do not understand the Russell for Lopez and a draft pick trade. Someone please explain it to me and try to help me feel better about it. Why not just wait another year on Mozgov's contract?

Not a big fan of letting Randle walk for nothing either, and I didn't even like Randle while he was here.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
I genuinely do not understand the Russell for Lopez and a draft pick trade. Someone please explain it to me and try to help me feel better about it. Why not just wait another year on Mozgov's contract?

Not a big fan of letting Randle walk for nothing either, and I didn't even like Randle while he was here.

Why would we need a large expiring contract this summer? They're only useful in trades and everyone knows that FA's are how you get your stars.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject:

Better poll:
Was Magic a better Coach or PBO?
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Why would we need a large expiring contract this summer? They're only useful in trades and everyone knows that FA's are how you get your stars.

Well, it would have been easier to trade if it had had fewer years on it...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Whether you credit Magic or Rob, both had as little to do with getting Lebron and AD as I did.

Lebron already wanted to come to LA, he just wanted the Buss family drama gone. They could have put anyone as GM.

AD and his agent already wanted to come here. Pelinka gave up everything but Kyle Kuzma, which many think was one of the assets he should've most readily given up. His on the margin moves have been overpaying Danny Green and overpaying KCP.

I'm more okay with this than trying to reverse engineer Jim Buss into a good FO head.

Their records speak for themselves
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

Or at the very least hang onto Lopez.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
kikanga wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

I'm more okay with this than trying to reverse engineer Jim Buss into a good FO head.

Records? As in wins and losses as head of bball ops? We agree there.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:37 pm    Post subject:

He was the worst. Did nothing to improve this team. And don’t give me that he got lebron crap because lebron was coming here regardless. He had such a big ego in that shiny domed head of his that he actually had the audacity to say no to Jerry West when he asked to come back. Now Jerry is with the (bleep) (bleep) clippers because of magic. What magic doesn’t realize is that you are not going to get your way all the time with a smiling grin, glory day nostalgia, and cheesey one liners. You actually have to put in work. Which is safe to say I don’t think he did at all as a GM here.

Nonetheless I love him as a player only
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject:

Magic was the president. So no.
The worst president so far has been Jim Buss.

Magic in 2 years got you Lebron, and set the table up for you to trade for AD. Can not say he is the worst, when he did that within 2 years.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
kikanga wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

Records? As in wins and losses as head of bball ops? We agree there.

Yes, neither were successful.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:11 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Magic in 2 years got you Lebron, and set the table up for you to trade for AD. Can not say he is the worst, when he did that within 2 years.

Actually Jim Buss set the table for getting AD, it was his draft picks that we traded for him. Magic got us two lottery seasons, his inability to balance a winning team was obvious. Same with Pelinka.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Actually Jim Buss set the table for getting AD, it was his draft picks that we traded for him. Magic got us two lottery seasons, his inability to balance a winning team was obvious. Same with Pelinka.

Jim Buss did not establish the relationships. Lebron was not coming, had the Lakers not established a relationship with Rich Paul. Through Pelinka, and Magic because Magic was the one who is well liked by players around the league, the Lakers found out about Lebron and his real interest in LA. Once they did that, it was on the Lakers to trade DLO for capspace to make the move happen. You see a crap president does what the Knicks do. You trade Porzingis when his value is lowest - for capspace and what do you get - nothing significant with that cap. No Durant, no star. The Lakers traded DLO for capspace, got Kuzma in the deal, then made the capspace needed to get Lebron - they executed the plan brilliantly.

Ensuring Lebron signed, Magic went over to his house. It was that meeting that sealed it.

So no, I can not give anyone else credit for this. This is all Magic and Pelinka. They set it in motion from the time they came to the Lakers.

Now Magic has made boneheaded moves and talked way too much in the press. He made some really poor decisions. That does not mean we should take away from his ability to draw superstars to the Lakers. Had Jeanie not brought in Magic, neither AD or Lebron would be Lakers.

One can dislike Magic and note his poor moves. At the same time, also note that he is the primary reason Lebron James signed. You have to know the free agent business and how to get stars to come. Jim Buss had no idea how to do this. Mitch Kupchak was a great trade guy, but also did not know how to do this. Magic and Pelinka were brought in for a purpose. To get stars in LA and to get LA back in the playoffs, in contention for a title. They accomplished that. Does not make the best at their job, but it certainly means the primary goal they set out was reached.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject:

How many GMs have the Lakers had? I only know of Jerry, Mitch and now Rob so it isn't a very long list.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject:

You guys love embracing negativity. I don't envy you

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Jim Buss did not establish the relationships. Lebron was not coming, had the Lakers not established a relationship with Rich Paul. Through Pelinka, and Magic because Magic was the one who is well liked by players around the league, the Lakers found out about Lebron and his real interest in LA. Once they did that, it was on the Lakers to trade DLO for capspace to make the move happen. You see a crap president does what the Knicks do. You trade Porzingis when his value is lowest - for capspace and what do you get - nothing significant with that cap. No Durant, no star. The Lakers traded DLO for capspace, got Kuzma in the deal, then made the capspace needed to get Lebron - they executed the plan brilliantly.

Ensuring Lebron signed, Magic went over to his house. It was that meeting that sealed it.

So no, I can not give anyone else credit for this. This is all Magic and Pelinka. They set it in motion from the time they came to the Lakers.

Now Magic has made boneheaded moves and talked way too much in the press. He made some really poor decisions. That does not mean we should take away from his ability to draw superstars to the Lakers. Had Jeanie not brought in Magic, neither AD or Lebron would be Lakers.

One can dislike Magic and note his poor moves. At the same time, also note that he is the primary reason Lebron James signed. You have to know the free agent business and how to get stars to come. Jim Buss had no idea how to do this. Mitch Kupchak was a great trade guy, but also did not know how to do this. Magic and Pelinka were brought in for a purpose. To get stars in LA and to get LA back in the playoffs, in contention for a title. They accomplished that. Does not make the best at their job, but it certainly means the primary goal they set out was reached.

This degree of revisionist history sycophancy is flabbergasting.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Jim Buss actually got the CP3 trade done and got screwed by the league. If not for "basketball reasons," I think we're all looking at him as a genius right now. The Mozdeng signings were because of Jeanie's ridiculous "Be in the WCF in the next two years or you're out" ultimatum. I think Jeanie is much worse than Jim.

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Jim Buss actually got the CP3 trade done and got screwed by the league. If not for "basketball reasons," I think we're all looking at him as a genius right now. The Mozdeng signings were because of Jeanie's ridiculous "Be in the WCF in the next two years or you're out" ultimatum. I think Jeanie is much worse than Jim.

I think it's pretty damning he thought MozDeng would get that team to the WCF in two years. Especially with the amount of money we were paying them. Only reason he got an ultimatum is because we were tied for the worst combined record in the league from 2013-2017 and we struck out on at least 6 free agents over 3 consecutive offseasons.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Debatable but 3 things for sure:

1. Asset management - He has no clue
2. Daily Grind - He refused
3. Everything public - Made sure to tell everyone what the Lakers were planning to do

All 3 are crippling to an Org.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

I think it's pretty damning he thought MozDeng would get that team to the WCF in two years. Especially with the amount of money we were paying them. Only reason he got an ultimatum is because we were tied for the worst combined record in the league from 2013-2017 and we struck out on at least 6 free agents over 3 consecutive offseasons.

Yeah, the Mozdeng signings genuinely puzzle me to this day.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

Beyond whatever personal stuff was going on behind the scenes, it seems like the plan was to intimidate the Pacers into trading PG13 for JC, Randle, and pick(s) before the 2017 draft by opening up max cap space to sign him outright the following summer.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Beyond whatever personal stuff was going on behind the scenes, it seems like the plan was to intimidate the Pacers into trading PG13 for JC, Randle, and pick(s) before the 2017 draft by opening up max cap space to sign him outright the following summer.

Why would the Pacers trade PG13 for Randle, trash, and picks?

Kobesystem
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject:

We never traded our young guys when their values were high....
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Why would the Pacers trade PG13 for Randle, trash, and picks?

That's what was being floated as the Lakers offer at the time. It sounded like they were shopping around the DLo/Mozgov package for a lottery pick to sweeten their offer for George, but there were no takers (Detroit really was poorly managed under SVG).
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Spot on!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: