Lakers have been granted $1.75M exception
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:17 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

(7) The Disabled Player Exception is available only to the Team
with which the player was under Contract at the time his Disabling
Injury or Illness became known or reasonably should have become
known. In order for a Team to apply for a Disabled Player
Exception pursuant to this Section 6(c), the Disabled Player must
continue to be on the Team’s roster from the time the Team
makes such application through the date upon which the
Exception is granted.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:31 am    Post subject:

ToastedMuffins wrote:
I wonder, does the Disabled Player Exception even remain with the team if they release Cousins? I know it expires if they trade him.

If Cousins needs to remain on the roster to keep the exception then that means the Lakers would need to cut a player, likely either Daniels or Dudley, to make use of it.

They're not going to cut Daniels or Dudley over the rookie if they need to cut someone. Both of those guys can contribute right now. The rookie can't.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:59 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
ToastedMuffins wrote:
I wonder, does the Disabled Player Exception even remain with the team if they release Cousins? I know it expires if they trade him.

If Cousins needs to remain on the roster to keep the exception then that means the Lakers would need to cut a player, likely either Daniels or Dudley, to make use of it.

They're not going to cut Daniels or Dudley over the rookie if they need to cut someone. Both of those guys can contribute right now. The rookie can't.

Another reason to wait. When the buyout season comes, we'll know best who is expandable in the roster. Today, I'd waive Daniels before THT, but within a few months, who knows?
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Lakers have been granted $1.75M exception

activeverb wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
, veteran players on one year contracts only count $1,701,593 against the CAP even though their salaries are much higher.

Not quite. The full salary would count against the cap; the NBA simply pays for half the salary.

In my full post, I quoted the CBA FAQ. The relevant line is now highlighted. The CAP is based on a team's salary. If it isn't counted in a team's salary then it isn't counted against the CAP.

Annihilator wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
BigBallerBrand wrote:
Melo?

He probably would want the vet min at the very least.

According to #22 at the NBA FAQ, veteran players on one year contracts only count $1,701,593 against the CAP even though their salaries are much higher.
Quote:
When a player has been in the NBA for three or more seasons, and is playing under a one-year, 10-day or Rest-of-Season contract at the minimum salary, the league reimburses the team for part of his salary -- any amount above the minimum salary for a two-year veteran. For example, the minimum salary for a two-year veteran in 2017-18 is $1,471,382, so for a ten-year veteran, with a minimum salary of $2,328,652, the league would reimburse the team $857,270. Only the two-year minimum salary is included in the team salary, not the player's full salary. They do this so teams won't shy away from signing older veterans simply because they are more expensive than younger veterans.

Still, I don't think the Lakers need Melo.

--Anonymous
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:11 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
ToastedMuffins wrote:

I would be surprised if they cut THT, barring a disastrous performance from him. He's Klutch, and one of the few young assets we have.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:33 am    Post subject:

Kinda stupid, that u need to cut a player when the reason u apply for the DPE is because ur player could not play for the year. I understand waiting mid season to sign a player over 10 yrs experience, but cutting a player to make room for that players defeat the purpose.

Can’t we have outright cut DC before the DPE and sign somebody for the vet min?
SmartBaller420
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:
Kinda stupid, that u need to cut a player when the reason u apply for the DPE is because ur player could not play for the year. I understand waiting mid season to sign a player over 10 yrs experience, but cutting a player to make room for that players defeat the purpose.

It’s being used for a trade specifically

We aren’t using it to sign a vet minimum player or to pick up someone off waivers.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject:

SmartBaller420 wrote:
DLaker wrote:

We aren’t using it to sign a vet minimum player or to pick up someone off waivers.

There aren't too many players that we could trade for that are valuable and fit in the 1.75 DPE (or at its limits we can take back 1.85m).

I do think it'll be an amazing asset to use at buyout time (Feb 2020) when the DPE (that is not prorated) will almost be double the vet's minimum (which is prorated).
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject:

deal wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Is Lin still available?

We do NOT need yet another guard; and Lin is gone anyway...

They absolutely could use another point guard. It's basically James and scraps in the playmaking dept.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:

Some of this was already answered.

Quote:

(7) The Disabled Player Exception is available only to the Team
with which the player was under Contract at the time his Disabling
Injury or Illness became known or reasonably should have become
known. In order for a Team to apply for a Disabled Player
Exception pursuant to this Section 6(c), the Disabled Player must
continue to be on the Team’s roster from the time the Team
makes such application through the date upon which the
Exception is granted.

79. What roster size limits exist? What is the Inactive List? What is Injured Reserve? Do any other such lists exist?

Quote:

Injured Reserve is the former name of the Inactive List. It was originally intended for players who were injured and unable to play, however teams often used it as a convenient place to stash extra players. While a medical reason was required for players to be put on Injured Reserve, the league did not insist on an independent physician confirming the diagnosis. Thus it was common for a seemingly healthy player to suddenly develop "back spasms" right before rosters were cut to 12 players, and spend the entire season on Injured Reserve as a result. With the 1995 CBA they gave up the ghost, dropped the medical requirement, and changed the designation to "Inactive List." (The cynic will note that marginal NBA players seem to have a lot fewer back spasms nowadays.)
SmartBaller420
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
SmartBaller420 wrote:
DLaker wrote:

There aren't too many players that we could trade for that are valuable and fit in the 1.75 DPE (or at its limits we can take back 1.85m).

I do think it'll be an amazing asset to use at buyout time (Feb 2020) when the DPE (that is not prorated) will almost be double the vet's minimum (which is prorated).

SF Bruno Cabloco Salary - 1.845 M

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject:

SmartBaller420 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
SmartBaller420 wrote:
DLaker wrote:

SF Bruno Cabloco Salary - 1.845 M

I'm down for him but I think Grizz keep him.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject:

Get a roster spot. Get Melo.
brock
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject:

It will be Faried.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject:

Iggy in Feb.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject:

Will Wade come back for $1.75mil?
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:

Why would we want or need him
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:

The appropriate veteran minimum will always* be available.

_________

* Except for a hardcapped team.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject:

brock wrote:
It will be Faried.

I’m really shocked no one has signed him yet, he was playing really well for the Rockets.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: