ESPN: There's a gap between Clippers and Lakers (Clipper/Laker Discussion)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 228, 229, 230 ... 440, 441, 442  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:
What are the odds Ballmer rolls up a brinks truck to Phil Jackson's house? I think Phil is done. I think the league had moved on from the triangle long ago, but Ballmer is obsessed with LA and has this inferiority complex with the Lakers. Seems like something he would explore. Besides, he doesn't give a crap about money. He wants to win NOW!

I don't think Lue is his idea of an upgrade. Steve wants to make a splash.

Putting aside the antiquated nature of the Triangle, Phil Jackson was unsure if he had it in him physically to take the Lakers job 8 years ago.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
.....He left all that to play for Doc Rivers.

AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject:

We are in the NBA Finals. They never made it past the second round. I’m pretty sure the team isn’t thinking about the Clippers right now, that’s for sure.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject:

LOL @ those brought up Phil Jackson's name.

1. Phil has been out of the coaching ranks for so long, those triangle teams belong in the past decade. the league has moved on from a set half court games, nowadays it's all about high pick and rolls and corner threes.

2. unlike the Laker ownership who prefers living in the past, Ballmer is all about cutting edge and innovations, he's more likely hiring a college coach than even entertain the idea of Phil Jackson.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
troy wrote:
PayasoLoco wrote:
If the Clippers get CP0 they’ll be scary but I doubt he’ll go back. They are stuck with Prozac p and mute spreewell

They might get Lonzo

For what? Shamet and a bunch of 2nd round picks? All their firsts are gone.

I’ll trade our this year first for Shamet. He’s not healthy this year but he’s a good fit.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:41 am    Post subject:

I will fearlessly predict that Ballmer makes a run at a current head coach. This means he might be required to ship a draft pick or something, but if the alternative is someone like Lue, it would be worth it. The name at the top of the list would be Nick Nurse.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:43 am    Post subject:

That's my guess too. He'd buy out a current coach's contract. I don't think he went through all this for Ty Lue.

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I will fearlessly predict that Ballmer makes a run at a current head coach. This means he might be required to ship a draft pick or something, but if the alternative is someone like Lue, it would be worth it. The name at the top of the list would be Nick Nurse.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
LOL @ those brought up Phil Jackson's name.

1. Phil has been out of the coaching ranks for so long, those triangle teams belong in the past decade. the league has moved on from a set half court games, nowadays it's all about high pick and rolls and corner threes.

2. unlike the Laker ownership who prefers living in the past, Ballmer is all about cutting edge and innovations, he's more likely hiring a college coach than even entertain the idea of Phil Jackson.

Phil left coaching for health reasons. I can't see him trying to come back to do it when he has plenty of money and he is up there in age.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:
That's my guess too. He'd buy out a current coach's contract. I don't think he went through all this for Ty Lue.

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

how much you think it need to get a Nurse or a Malone... or a Steven?
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject:

A lot for most, not for a guy worth $70 Billion.

This guy is hell bent on proving he can take down Lakers eternal rule over Los Angeles... I'm of the mindset it will never happen, even if the clippers win multiple rings. No one cares about the damn clippers in this town!

governator wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Last edited by oaktown_dimond on Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Nick Nurse is all Toronto has right now. Siakim isn't what they vision him to be, Lowry is up in age, rebuilding in Toronto is sooner than we think. fortunately for us, Clippers p*ssed away those furture 1st round picks for PG13, otherwise i can definitely see Clippers throw money and draft picks at Toronto to get Nurse.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

why are Malone or Steven leaving their jobs to join a circus?
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Ballmer could easy overpay someone like Jay Wright to lure him.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I dont see the Clippers getting any of those coaches. All 3 teams have a very bright future and probably feel they are a piece or two from possibly getting to the Finals. If they had a first round pick or two then i'd say it would at least be a slight chance but I dont see any of those 3 guys leaving great situations for the Clippers personally.
scottpot29
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Coach K?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
PayasoLoco wrote:
If the Clippers get CP0 they’ll be scary but I doubt he’ll go back. They are stuck with Prozac p and mute spreewell

They might get Lonzo

The way some on LG thinks of Lonzo is detached from reality. He does not shorten the distance between Clips and a chip.

Last edited by kikanga on Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chick-N-Stew
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:01 pm    Post subject:

Pop?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:01 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
32 wrote:
There must be resentment from players that Kawhi can't playback to back games. They have to do all the work and carry his ass all season.

He wanted LA so it’s moot but he really had the perfect setup in Toronto. Hard to believe he left it. Elite coach. Elite FO. Team capable of performing at a high level if you need to sit. Elite young All Star teammate not even in his prime yet.

He left all that to play with Paul George.

In the voice of the old knight from Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade, he chose poorly.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject:

scottpot29 wrote:
Coach K?

He is old, and wouldn't leave Duke to coach the Lakers and Kobe once upon a time, and he and Kobe had a good personal relationship. That one is about as impossible as impossible gets.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject:

scottpot29 wrote:
Coach K?

87 year old with a large hair dye bill.
scottpot29
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
scottpot29 wrote:
Coach K?

He is old, and wouldn't leave Duke to coach the Lakers and Kobe once upon a time, and he and Kobe had a good personal relationship. That one is about as impossible as impossible gets.

Money can change peoples minds man. And he isn't rebuilding, he would be inheriting a team where he already worked with KL and PG for dream team stuff. Not as impossible as you might think, but I agree it probably won't happen.

My guess is Mark Jackson or SVG
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:11 pm    Post subject:

i would not rule out Popovich. i know the "bad blood" between him and KL in San Antonio, but how much of that was from the ownership? hiring Pop is the ultimate PR move on Khwaii's part, instantly, his reputation turns from a coach killer to someone willing to admit mistake and reunite with one of the greatest coaches of all time. why Pop doing this? he's not fond of rebuilding, with the toxic contracts of DeRosen and Aldridge, it'll be a long time before Spurs become relevant again. i'm pretty sure he welcomes the idea of being the head coach of a title favorite instantly. also Ballmer can throw him a ton of money and maybe even ownership stake after retirement.

Last edited by SGV-Laker fan on Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

It took a future first for the Clippers to get Doc Rivers from the Celtics. That turned into R.J. Hunter at #28.

Stevens isn't going anywhere. Ballmer would need to make Stevens the highest paid coach ever, and even then he might not take it. He's got an enviable situation in Boston.

Malone isn't as unlikely as Stevens, but he's still pretty unlikely. He's got a pretty good situation.

Nurse, on the other hand, could be willing to listen. There is a reason why he just won Coach of the Year: No one thought the Raptors would win so many games this year. It's not going to get better. Lowry and Gasol are just about done. Siakam is the best of the rest, and he is close to his ceiling. This would be the perfect time for Nurse to cash in.
BlueNGold
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
governator wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

It took a future first for the Clippers to get Doc Rivers from the Celtics. That turned into R.J. Hunter at #28.

Stevens isn't going anywhere. Ballmer would need to make Stevens the highest paid coach ever, and even then he might not take it. He's got an enviable situation in Boston.

Malone isn't as unlikely as Stevens, but he's still pretty unlikely. He's got a pretty good situation.

Nurse, on the other hand, could be willing to listen. There is a reason why he just won Coach of the Year: No one thought the Raptors would win so many games this year. It's not going to get better. Lowry and Gasol are just about done. Siakam is the best of the rest, and he is close to his ceiling. This would be the perfect time for Nurse to cash in.

But with what? What could they possibly give Toronto to get them to agree to that?
StoicChalice392
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:36 pm    Post subject:

Imagine if Doc's firing was based solely on Balmer's decision. You will have a lot of unhappy front office personnel.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 228, 229, 230 ... 440, 441, 442  Next
Page 229 of 442
Jump to: