ESPN: There's a gap between Clippers and Lakers (Clipper/Laker Discussion)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 229, 230, 231 ... 440, 441, 442  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:38 pm    Post subject:

Nurse and Stevens just signed new extensions. It’s going to take more than a late 1st to get those teams to cough them up. And can LAC even trade a 1st?

The Clippers were able to get Doc all those years ago because the Celtics jumped on the silly Nets deal and abruptly went into rebuild mode. Doc wanted out and Boston was happy to oblige. It was a unique situation which is why you never see it happen.
BlueNGold
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject:

Whoever decides to coach there needs to realize that if things go poorly this year, he may be fired after a single year and the only draws for that team may bounce.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject:

This has been posted before but I think it's worth laughing at again now Rivers looks to be gone

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:22 pm    Post subject:

BlueNGold wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
governator wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:
That's my guess too. He'd buy out a current coach's contract. I don't think he went through all this for Ty Lue.

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I will fearlessly predict that Ballmer makes a run at a current head coach. This means he might be required to ship a draft pick or something, but if the alternative is someone like Lue, it would be worth it. The name at the top of the list would be Nick Nurse.

how much you think it need to get a Nurse or a Malone... or a Steven?

It took a future first for the Clippers to get Doc Rivers from the Celtics. That turned into R.J. Hunter at #28.

Stevens isn't going anywhere. Ballmer would need to make Stevens the highest paid coach ever, and even then he might not take it. He's got an enviable situation in Boston.

Malone isn't as unlikely as Stevens, but he's still pretty unlikely. He's got a pretty good situation.

Nurse, on the other hand, could be willing to listen. There is a reason why he just won Coach of the Year: No one thought the Raptors would win so many games this year. It's not going to get better. Lowry and Gasol are just about done. Siakam is the best of the rest, and he is close to his ceiling. This would be the perfect time for Nurse to cash in.

But with what? What could they possibly give Toronto to get them to agree to that?

Right. Nurse has to want out. Players aren't the only ones who force their way out of contracts. Hell, Nurse wouldn't be the first coach to bail after signing an extension and telling everyone how happy he was.

But the Nick Nurse part is just conjecture on my part, not a prediction. My prediction is that the Clippers will chase some existing head coaches (as opposed to uninspiring retreads like Lue and JVG), and I said that Nick Nurse would be at the top of the list.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, that's how things would roll in silicon valley. You think Steve Jobs would have settled for only candidates that were currently unemployed? He'd say "if no one wants them now, there's a reason. They all suck".

Should be an interesting off season. Just stay away from Vogel and Phil Handy.

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
BlueNGold wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
governator wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:
That's my guess too. He'd buy out a current coach's contract. I don't think he went through all this for Ty Lue.

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I will fearlessly predict that Ballmer makes a run at a current head coach. This means he might be required to ship a draft pick or something, but if the alternative is someone like Lue, it would be worth it. The name at the top of the list would be Nick Nurse.

It took a future first for the Clippers to get Doc Rivers from the Celtics. That turned into R.J. Hunter at #28.

Stevens isn't going anywhere. Ballmer would need to make Stevens the highest paid coach ever, and even then he might not take it. He's got an enviable situation in Boston.

Malone isn't as unlikely as Stevens, but he's still pretty unlikely. He's got a pretty good situation.

Nurse, on the other hand, could be willing to listen. There is a reason why he just won Coach of the Year: No one thought the Raptors would win so many games this year. It's not going to get better. Lowry and Gasol are just about done. Siakam is the best of the rest, and he is close to his ceiling. This would be the perfect time for Nurse to cash in.

But with what? What could they possibly give Toronto to get them to agree to that?

Right. Nurse has to want out. Players aren't the only ones who force their way out of contracts. Hell, Nurse wouldn't be the first coach to bail after signing an extension and telling everyone how happy he was.

But the Nick Nurse part is just conjecture on my part, not a prediction. My prediction is that the Clippers will chase some existing head coaches (as opposed to uninspiring retreads like Lue and JVG), and I said that Nick Nurse would be at the top of the list.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:07 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
BlueNGold wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
governator wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I dont think anyone would be the least bit surprised if he tried but the problem is the Clippers just went into complete dysfunction and rumors of finger pointing all over the locker room right now. They also have a 1 year window where if they don't drastically turn things around I can easily see Kawhi and/or George leaving then it's a team with hardly any young talent at all and no draft picks for quite awhile.

On top of that I see no reason why the Raptors especially of all teams help the Clippers who basically followed them and Kawhi around all last season to eventually steal him from them. They can't even send the Raptors a first round pick because all those in the foreseeable future are long gone already.

Then once again this would have to be Nurse who is in a great positive situation right now would want to cause bad blood and force his way out to go to a club who just had a historic level breakdown and is currently in panic mode. At least there's a tiny chance with this one I guess but i'd still be absolutely shocked.

Malone or Stevens is pretty much hovering at 0% chance considering you could argue both are already in a better situation to contend next season with a MUCH more bright future beyond 1 year.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject:

The two current NBA coaches who might be nice fits are Quinn Snyder and Steve Clifford. Both were Laker assistants in LA, both have been good coaches for non-contenders.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:47 am    Post subject:

^^^
How would the Clippers go after Vogel when he is under contract with us? Wouldn’t that be tampering?

Why not give Becky Hammon a shot?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:50 am    Post subject:

Clippers probably want someone who runs things like Nurse in Toronto, as that is how Kawhi won and probably Kawhi did not like the way things went down with Doc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:56 am    Post subject:

Love seeing lakers in finals and Ramona stuck writing clipper articles
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Clippers probably want someone who runs things like Nurse in Toronto, as that is how Kawhi won and probably Kawhi did not like the way things went down with Doc.

Why would Nurse be willing to bail on Toronto when they just finished with the #2 record in the East?

danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:18 am    Post subject:

No way Nurse is leaving Toronto after winning a championship and COTY.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Why would Nurse be willing to bail on Toronto when they just finished with the #2 record in the East?

because the future in Toronto isn't that rosey afterall. Siakim isn't what they hope him to be, Lowry is getting near retirement. who else are there? being in Canada, they'll have problem attracting free agents as well. Clippers on the other hand will be the contender again right off the bat. Plus Ballmer will overpay to land Nurse if he needs to.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject:

Doc will be talking to Sixers per Sham
BlueNGold
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:

I fully believe that he's a lock for that one, which would be a good move for them over D'Antoni. That probably puts Flippers into pole position for Ty Lue or D'Antoni (RIP Kawhi's leg if that happens).
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject:

BlueNGold wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

I fully believe that he's a lock for that one, which would be a good move for them over D'Antoni. That probably puts Flippers into pole position for Ty Lue or D'Antoni (RIP Kawhi's leg if that happens).

Doc will do a good job with the Sixers. D’Antoni is better fit running the Pelicans. I think Jay Wright fits well as their next Clips head coach.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

because the future in Toronto isn't that rosey afterall. Siakim isn't what they hope him to be, Lowry is getting near retirement. who else are there? being in Canada, they'll have problem attracting free agents as well. Clippers on the other hand will be the contender again right off the bat. Plus Ballmer will overpay to land Nurse if he needs to.

Clippers are def. not looking very "rosey" at all either especially if they dont win a Championship in his first season there. Then who else is there after Kawhi and George leave along with all the draft picks for quite some time? On top of that the East is still a much easier path to the Finals then the West.

The Clippers are not simply a top contender right off again starting next season either imo. There's going to be A LOT of extra drama both in the locker room and even more so from the media all year long. It's also very likely Montrezl is leaving and Lou is turning 34 in a couple weeks.

Most importantly though, what are the Clippers giving up for him because there's def. no first round pics anytime soon? I'm not seeing this as a realistic possibility at all.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:57 pm    Post subject:

The only way I would give a (bleep) about this loser ass team is if LouWill Delivered Lemon Pepper Chicken Wings for the game tonight. Other than that, I don’t wanna hear another word from them or about them.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Doc is so lucky lost his job when there're so many enticed openings, Sixers, Pelicans are all good jobs to land.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:04 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Doc is so lucky lost his job when there're so many enticed openings, Sixers, Pelicans are all good jobs to land.

Honestly I think he would do well with the Pelicans more so than the Sixers. Sixers come with expectations that we all know he will fail at.

Pelicans offer a young rebuilding team with no championship expectations right now. He can help build up Zion, Ingram, etc.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Honestly I think he would do well with the Pelicans more so than the Sixers. Sixers come with expectations that we all know he will fail at.

Pelicans offer a young rebuilding team with no championship expectations right now. He can help build up Zion, Ingram, etc.

Doc will never be a good rebuilding coach, because that requires actual coaching (see his stints in Orlando). Doc is the ultimate rah rah coach, he needs to be on a team with strong leadership (his Celtic teams, and CP3 led Clipper teams). i'm not sure the current Sixer team has that.
BlueNGold
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:52 pm    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
BlueNGold wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Doc will do a good job with the Sixers. D’Antoni is better fit running the Pelicans. I think Jay Wright fits well as their next Clips head coach.

That's true about D'Antoni and NOLA, but their makeup needs to change drastically. Jrue, Ingram, and Redick are really the only somewhat decent 3pt shooters on that team (unless I am missing someone) and having Lonzo at PG to fun the show is just yikes given his poor 3PT shooting and horrendous FT%.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject:

$12 mil/yr for 5yrs Pop, u in? Balmer, prob
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject:

I hope it doesn't happen but Kenny Atkinson is still out there right? He'd be the first number I called if I were running the Clippers. On the other hand if I were Atkinson, I'd probably try to get the Pelicans job. He'd have a bevy of young talent to develop and mold.
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
No way Nurse is leaving Toronto after winning a championship and COTY.

You mean like how Kawhi left the Raptors after winning a Chip and FMVP? I said this in jest but my point is anything can happen, there may be underlying factors enticing Nurse out of Toronto
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 229, 230, 231 ... 440, 441, 442  Next
Page 230 of 442
Jump to: