ESPN: There's a gap between Clippers and Lakers (Clipper/Laker Discussion)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 252, 253, 254 ... 440, 441, 442  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daikatana
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The Lakers' formula in 09-10: Big, dynamic, creative guard + once-in-a-generation big man = championship

Pau Gasol a once in a generation big man?

Then again, once paired with Kobe, he became a really key piece to those 2 championships where he fought off a Prime Dwight Howard, and Celtic front line team.

governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Daikatana wrote:
Quote:
The Lakers' formula in 09-10: Big, dynamic, creative guard + once-in-a-generation big man = championship

Then again, once paired with Kobe, he became a really key piece to those 2 championships where he fought off a Prime Dwight Howard, and Celtic front line team.

all the guards are once-in-a-generation too... West, Magic, Kobe, LeBron, (caruso)
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:11 pm    Post subject:

Daikatana wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, Pau was very good, but definitely not a once in a generation big man.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:00 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
Daikatana wrote:
Quote:

How many Pau Gasol skill sets in a 7'2" body have we seen in the past 40 years?
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:52 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
Daikatana wrote:
Quote:

Eh, we simply have different definitions for "once in a generation" players. Considering the NBA has not been around for all that many generations, I can't consider Pau a generational big when there are three bigs right off the bat within 3-4 yrs of him who are better: TD, KG, and Dirk.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:53 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
Daikatana wrote:
Quote:

Eh, we simply have different definitions for "once in a generation" players. Considering the NBA has not been around for all that many generations, I can't consider Pau a generational big when there are three bigs right off the bat within 3-4 yrs of him who are better: TD, KG, and Dirk.

Yeah, "once in a generation talent" should be a clear cut #1 option imo to even start the conversation. He was clearly not a #1 option if you wanted to have actual Playoff success. Nothing against Pau as he's easily one of my favorite Lakers ever but no need to oversell him.

He'll still easily get in the Hall Of Fame and be remembered as a great player but it stops there imo.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:29 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/ralph_masonjr/status/1323508347920736256?s=21

Jerry West.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:11 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

Jerry West.

Anyone know what happened to cause the rift between West and Buss?
rmonkey
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:42 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Jerry West.

I'll hazard a guess: It goes back to the Phil Jackson coaching era. Phil wanted a bigger say in personnel decisions (more of a GM-type role). And at the time Phil and Jeanie Buss were an item. I think Jerry West saw the writing on the wall and left the Lakers with some lingering bad feelings. It would seem those feelings have yet to be completely smoothed over.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject:

rmonkey wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Jerry West.

I'll hazard a guess: It goes back to the Phil Jackson coaching era. Phil wanted a bigger say in personnel decisions (more of a GM-type role). And at the time Phil and Jeanie Buss were an item. I think Jerry West saw the writing on the wall and left the Lakers with some lingering bad feelings. It would seem those feelings have yet to be completely smoothed over.

And the feelings that haven’t been smoothed over are Jeanie’s feelings. West was willing to come back as an advisor but Jeanie was still hurt from his criticism of her and Phil and turned him down.
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:13 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
rmonkey wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Jerry West.

And the feelings that haven’t been smoothed over are Jeanie’s feelings. West was willing to come back as an advisor but Jeanie was still hurt from his criticism of her and Phil and turned him down.

From what I read, Magic also had a huge part in Jerry not coming back. Magic, did not want to share the credit if/when the Lakers are back on top.

No matter where Jerry West goes, no matter how miniscule, his role is with a team, the media always seem to attribute every move that the team makes to Jerry West. Happened in GS and is now happening with the Clippers. Which is weird because the Lakers were so suppose to be in trouble because the Clippers had Jerry West yet, these same media members Voted Lawrence Frank Executive of the Year

Go figure.....
_#1_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:25 am    Post subject:

West was not willing to rejoin Lakers. Words straight out of his own mouth. And who cares. 17 and counting.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:27 am    Post subject:

_#1_ wrote:
West was not willing to rejoin Lakers. Words straight out of his own mouth. And who cares. 17 and counting.

That wasn’t the case when he left GSW. He wanted to come back, but Jeanie and Magic said no thanks.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:08 pm    Post subject:

I don’t buy lues coaching abilities
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject:

rmonkey wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Jerry West.

For the 1,000,000th time . . .

IT WAS MONEY!

Jerry West is a very prideful guy. He retired and sued the Lakers after the 1974 season because he expected a contract extension & raise from then-owner Jack Kent Cooke and got laughed at by Cooke when he brought it up.

When the Lakers signed Phil Jackson, Phil was not only making $10 million per year, but had a clause that gave him a $2 million bonus if the team won a championship. Jerry West was not even making $2 million as GM and wanted a bonus for winning championships, but the notoriously cheap Dr. Buss wouldn't give it to him (some say he promised it, but reneged on the deal). In any event, Buss generally paid below market value for everything except Superstar players.

West - a known hothead - quit immediately. I've heard from some folks that were around the Lakers speculate that West was expecting to get a small piece of the team (since Magic got one), but I don't know if that was the case.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
rmonkey wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Jerry West.

My guess is that Jeanie was just honoring her dad's wishes. They kept Jerry West's kids on payroll for almost 20 years after he quit - if Jeanie was that hurt she could've dumped them years earlier and no one would've said a word.

There were reports that (aside from money), West resented Dr. Buss bringing in Jimmy as Ass't GM and putting him over Mitch without consulting West in 1998.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:40 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
rmonkey wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Jerry West.

My guess is that Jeanie was just honoring her dad's wishes. They kept Jerry West's kids on payroll for almost 20 years after he quit - if Jeanie was that hurt she could've dumped them years earlier and no one would've said a word.

There were reports that (aside from money), West resented Dr. Buss bringing in Jimmy as Ass't GM and putting him over Mitch without consulting West in 1998.

I think a lot more was going on behind the scenes then most know imo. West is not only a known prideful man that can get very hotheaded he's also been severely depressed the majority of his life. There was a lot of ramblings of drama when he was with and left the Warriors as well. All that doesn't mean he's not still an absolute legend because he obviously is at pretty much anything he's done his entire life but the whole blaming Jeanie/Phil/Dr. Buss like it's all on them and poor Jerry was just pushed out is getting old. I'm sure there's plenty of blame to go around if we could actually hear both sides. I will say that whole bringing in Jimmy over Mitch thing was def. a screwed up move for sure especially doing it silently.

I'd say the Lakers are doing just fine and are now setup as good as any team in the NBA for the next 2 seasons at least. That Clippers team was not constructed well after they got both Kawhi and George and many people here were pointing flaws out early on even when the media was going crazy about how they were better then the Lakers and West being a genius (even though now I notice his name isn't attached as much).
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:09 pm    Post subject:

Just wanted to bump this thread to see what people think the gap between the Lakers and Clippers are now.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:31 pm    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
Just wanted to bump this thread to see what people think the gap between the Lakers and Clippers are now.

1/2 Lakers clearly better
3-10 as it stands is a reversal of last season. Lakers 3-10 is now better than the clippers.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:32 pm    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:

I would say 17-0.
golakersgo121
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:34 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
lar9149 wrote:

I would say 17-0.

Lanny
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:51 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
lar9149 wrote:

3-10 as it stands is a reversal of last season. Lakers 3-10 is now better than the clippers.

Clippers fans are acting like the problem was Trezz, but they had other weaknesses. I'm not so certain that a healthy Mavericks team wouldn't have knocked them out in the first round.
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:54 pm    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:

The gap is cavernous size now!!!!
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:07 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
lar9149 wrote:

Clippers fans are acting like the problem was Trezz, but they had other weaknesses. I'm not so certain that a healthy Mavericks team wouldn't have knocked them out in the first round.

During game 7 against the Nuggets Pg throw a wild pass to Trez that resulted in a turnover. Trez try to let him know and Pg didn’t take it well. He even told Pg that you are always right no one can tell you anything. Anyone seen the play clearly knows it was a bad pass.

And midway through the season Trez tried to talk about the issues in the locker room and was critized by the organization for it. And I think Trez struggle in the bubble was not only the recent death of his “best friend” but also the lack of team support through his struggle since they had terrible team chemistry.

Point is Trez truly wasn’t the issue. If anything he was doing his best to help the team chemsitry. It most likely was other players and likely it was mostly PG. it possible Trez didn’t want to play another year with PG

Last edited by lar9149 on Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:10 pm    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:

If the Clippers haven't gotten worse, they definitely haven't gotten better, while we've gotten significantly better.

I'm not even sure the Clippers will be better than the Nuggets this time around. If Murray will be as good from now on as he was in the playoffs, and if Porter takes a significant step forward and becomes as good as they say he is, the Nuggets are the second best team in the west.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 252, 253, 254 ... 440, 441, 442  Next
Page 253 of 442
Jump to: