ESPN: There's a gap between Clippers and Lakers (Clipper/Laker Discussion)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 288, 289, 290 ... 437, 438, 439  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

<snip>
while the other team's confidence is based on delusion and being out of touch with reality.

As much as I dislike the Clips, this is harsh. They're focused and playing hard, way different from last year. Which makes them a legitimately dangerous team. When teams play hard each and every minute, focus on teamwork and let their game do the talking then anything can happen; witness Miami's ECF run last year.

Anyone who doesn't see how dangerous they are is probably looking through the lens of last year's struggles. They are legit and it doesn't take much to see that.

One example will suffice: image that, instead of the Clippers, we were the team that obtained Ibaka & Batum. Do I need to say more to express the profound effect those two would have had on our roster?

Well, they're having that effect that was expected except it's for them instead of us.
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject:

They are legit but we are still better if we are as focused as we must be.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject:

They've been opportunistic. Other than catching some good teams very early in the season, they haven't really played a talented team recently. Not sure how they'll hold up against teams that can put offensive pressure on them.

As for the Clippers vs. Lakers in the WCF, it all depends on what sort of defense the Lakers are playing. Paul George and Kawhi Leonard, when they're both on, are hard to deal with during the regular season. That said, during the Post Season, when we can concentrate on their attack, it will be another story. Last post season, we dealt handily with teams that had two dominant scorers and a bit of help, which is essentially what the Clippers are.

Clippers are top heavy. PG and KL can scoop up teams during the regular season, but they can't win a series by themselves against the Lakers. That's because AD and Lebron (if they play well) can neutralize the offense they bring. After our top 2 and their top 2, we have the superior team, assuming our guys play as they should.

This is why I'm so concerned about KCP. If he's in slump come post season, THT and AC will have to pick up the slack. If KCP is on, then Clippers will not beat the Lakers, assuming AD and LB don't have bad games.

It all comes down to KCP.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject:

The Lakers are better and deeper than the Clippers. Like I have been saying the only thing that could beat the Lakers this year is fatigue primarily with Lebron and AD.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
They've been opportunistic. Other than catching some good teams very early in the season, they haven't really played a talented team recently. Not sure how they'll hold up against teams that can put offensive pressure on them.

As for the Clippers vs. Lakers in the WCF, it all depends on what sort of defense the Lakers are playing. Paul George and Kawhi Leonard, when they're both on, are hard to deal with during the regular season. That said, during the Post Season, when we can concentrate on their attack, it will be another story. Last post season, we dealt handily with teams that had two dominant scorers and a bit of help, which is essentially what the Clippers are.

Clippers are top heavy. PG and KL can scoop up teams during the regular season, but they can't win a series by themselves against the Lakers. That's because AD and Lebron (if they play well) can neutralize the offense they bring. After our top 2 and their top 2, we have the superior team, assuming our guys play as they should.

This is why I'm so concerned about KCP. If he's in slump come post season, THT and AC will have to pick up the slack. If KCP is on, then Clippers will not beat the Lakers, assuming AD and LB don't have bad games.

I was with you until your last statement. It "all" cannot come down to KCP. We're in serious trouble if it does. At one time the Lakers were hoping KCP or Kuz,or Danny Green at the time, or whomever, would become the reliable third scorer. Trez, and then DS are the latest candidates.

Looks like it's going to be going by committee again this year. The reason that works is because of our great depth.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
troy wrote:

I was with you until your last statement. It "all" cannot come down to KCP. We're in serious trouble if it does. At one time the Lakers were hoping KCP or Kuz,or Danny Green at the time, or whomever, would become the reliable third scorer. Trez, and then DS are the latest candidates.

Looks like it's going to be going by committee again this year. The reason that works is because of our great depth.

That's what I'm saying. Assuming AD and Lebron play as they should, if KCP is on, no one beats the Lakers. I haven't broken it down yet, but it's something about when KCP is hitting his shots, the entire Laker team seems to establish an offensive and defensive flow that is unstoppable.

Now, will it come down to just KCP? No. But the other role players MUST play well to give the Lakers a chance. It's a simple a this -

* When AD, Lebron, KCP are on, and the role players are doing okay, the Lakers are absolutely unbeatable.

* When AD and Lebron are on, KCP isn't, but other role players are on, then the Lakers are marginally unbeatable.

* When AD and Lebron are on, and KCP and other role players are not, the Lakers are beatable, unless either AD and Lebron have monster games.

* If either AD or Lebron are off, regardless of if KCP and role players are on, Lakers will likely lose, unless someone has a monster game.

* If Lebron is off, and AD plays marginal, it doesn't matter what else happens, Lakers will definitely lose.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
troy wrote:

That's what I'm saying. Assuming AD and Lebron play as they should, if KCP is on, no one beats the Lakers. I haven't broken it down yet, but it's something about when KCP is hitting his shots, the entire Laker team seems to establish an offensive and defensive flow that is unstoppable.

Now, will it come down to just KCP? No. But the other role players MUST play well to give the Lakers a chance. It's a simple a this -

* When AD, Lebron, KCP are on, and the role players are doing okay, the Lakers are absolutely unbeatable.

* When AD and Lebron are on, KCP isn't, but other role players are on, then the Lakers are marginally unbeatable.

* When AD and Lebron are on, and KCP and other role players are not, the Lakers are beatable, unless either AD and Lebron have monster games.

* If either AD or Lebron are off, regardless of if KCP and role players are on, Lakers will likely lose, unless someone has a monster game.

* If Lebron is off, and AD plays marginal, it doesn't matter what else happens, Lakers will definitely lose.

I KNOW what your saying. We are da_n near unbeatable when he's on. That's why I said I was with you until the word "all" was used. If you still believe that other than AD & LeBron, it's all on KCP, fine. I just don't believe it's all on him.

A lot is on him, maybe most sometimes, but not all. That's all I'm saying.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject:

One thing I've noticed about the Clippers and Nets is that they get better as the game progresses, often running away in the 4th.

That in no way describes the Lakers.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject:

Sure hope AD and LBJ are on cruise control as the comp certainly ain't.

Dedmon and Ariza please!
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject:

PenG_ wrote:
One thing I've noticed about the Clippers and Nets is that they get better as the game progresses, often running away in the 4th.

That in no way describes the Lakers.

That’s the thing with the process. Lebron said it all last season how it’s a process.

Everyone knows this is a unique season, but I’m not a believer in the on/off identity. It burned the Clippers last season and it’s burned the Lakers a couple of times this season.

The Clippers are building an identity...Lakers need to start cranking it up imo. Doesn’t have to be their best, just have a repeatable template/identity you can go to when adversity inevitably hits. The clippers failed last season because they really didn’t have one. They just had the best roster in the league and thought that would be enough.
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Clippers last season were focused on beating the Lakers and that backfired. This season they are focused on beating everyone else because they know they can beat the Lakers as long as they meet in the playoffs.

We can say all we want that Lakers are on cruise control, not enough rest incorporating new players etc... but fact is as of right now, we are not playing at the same level as the Clippers. And who's to say the Clippers are not also in cruise control, they are just too good. As evident by their team winning a game without their two big guns. Our team is touted as the deepest team this season but I have yet to truly see it, honestly can't imagine our team without LBJ at their current state.

Good thing is our coach and front office have proven themselves last season, so this is likely just part of the process.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject:

It will be interesting to see Nets/Clippers on Tuesday. I usually avoid Harden games but I’m curious to see how this game goes...
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
It will be interesting to see Nets/Clippers on Tuesday. I usually avoid Harden games but I’m curious to see how this game goes...

Yeah I'm interested in seeing how the Clippers defend the Nets in the 4th quarter. In their small sample, they have by far the highest 4th quarter O-rating.
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:46 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

Clippers definitely the better team as of right now, let's see if the Nets decide to play all 3 stars
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:31 am    Post subject:

Similar to Philly. This years Clippers is different than past years. They are running an effective system. And the coaching staff and players are gelling.

Still think we'll come out of the West. But this year, I think we'll see them in the conference finals.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:02 am    Post subject:

Kobetan wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Clippers definitely the better team as of right now, let's see if the Nets decide to play all 3 stars

Clippers are good, but they are not better than the Nets. I've said this before, the Clippers have benefited from playing teams recently that have low point output capability, or who had poor shooting games. The Clippers don't do well when teams put offensive pressure on them. Nets are all about offensive pressure.

When PG and KL realize they are playing a team that can match their scoring prowess, they panic and get out of their comfort zone. The entire Clipper team will break down.

I may be wrong, but I predict that the Nets will beat the Clippers big.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject:

Kobetan wrote:
Clippers last season were focused on beating the Lakers and that backfired. This season they are focused on beating everyone else because they know they can beat the Lakers as long as they meet in the playoffs.

We can say all we want that Lakers are on cruise control, not enough rest incorporating new players etc... but fact is as of right now, we are not playing at the same level as the Clippers. And who's to say the Clippers are not also in cruise control, they are just too good. As evident by their team winning a game without their two big guns. Our team is touted as the deepest team this season but I have yet to truly see it, honestly can't imagine our team without LBJ at their current state.

Good thing is our coach and front office have proven themselves last season, so this is likely just part of the process.

Clippers are 16-5. Lakers are 15-6.

Clippers SOS is 28th. Lakers SOS is 16th.

Let's discuss the Clippers after they faced some adversity.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Similar to Philly. This years Clippers is different than past years. They are running an effective system. And the coaching staff and players are gelling.

Still think we'll come out of the West. But this year, I think we'll see them in the conference finals.

I think possible trades and buyouts will be interesting for both teams as we seemingly compete for the same guys all the time.
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

Last Year, hey had no one to Guard AD, this year they can throw Ibaka to slow AD down. they have so many people to guard LBJ.
also they got rid of their problem ( TREZZ) and reduced dependency on another defensive liability ( Lou).
on the other hand, we added that problem( Trez, Gasol) and removed our interior defense, removed play making ( Rondo).

as arrogant as clippers were las season, they were still better team than us in regular season head to head. I took herculian effort from Denver to take them out. we were extremely lucky to avoid them.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject:

We were not extremely lucky to avoid them. As a matter of fact we were looking forward to facing them after the March weekend when we beat them and Milwaukee back to back.

I might have agreed with you before that weekend. They looked good then, almost scary, just like now. They have a great team but there's no mystique with them anymore because the playoffs prove the regular season means practically nothing.

Bring them on. If we face them, and they beat us, hats off to them. But again, there's no fear of them or mystique about them.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
We were not extremely lucky to avoid them. As a matter of fact we were looking forward to facing them after the March weekend when we beat them and Milwaukee back to back.

I might have agreed with you before that weekend. They looked good then, almost scary, just like now. They have a great team but there's no mystique with them anymore because the playoffs prove the regular season means practically nothing.

Bring them on. If we face them, and they beat us, hats off to them. But again, there's no fear of them or mystique about them.

Yes, the lesson is it's way too early to project to the playoffs. Just because they look good now means nothing. By the same token just because we don't look as good as we looked in the playoffs also means nothing; all that I'm looking for is that we improve steadily through the season and I feel we already are playing better than we were at the start of the season. Now if we get to the point where we are maximizing DS/Trezz/Gasol and hopefully THT/Matthews too - then the whole league better watch out.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject:

paul george is already cooling off from his hot start, so let's give it some time before we judge them.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject:

roger_federer wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Last Year, hey had no one to Guard AD, this year they can throw Ibaka to slow AD down. they have so many people to guard LBJ.
also they got rid of their problem ( TREZZ) and reduced dependency on another defensive liability ( Lou).
on the other hand, we added that problem( Trez, Gasol) and removed our interior defense, removed play making ( Rondo).

as arrogant as clippers were las season, they were still better team than us in regular season head to head. I took herculian effort from Denver to take them out. we were extremely lucky to avoid them.

You have got to be the biggest clippers fan I’ve ever seen or the most pessimistic Lakers fan.

There is no chance the 2020 bubble Clippers beat the Lakers in a series. Absolutely no chance.

The Lakers would have destroyed that version of the Clippers. All their load management, lack of chemistry, etc. came back to bite them. If it wasn’t the Nuggets in 7 it would have been the Lakers in 5.

This year it (if we are going on current trends), it’s more of a toss up and the Clippers probably win. Again, if it’s the teams as currently built and playing the way they currently are...
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
roger_federer wrote:
kikanga wrote:

You have got to be the biggest clippers fan I’ve ever seen or the most pessimistic Lakers fan.

There is no chance the 2020 bubble Clippers beat the Lakers in a series. Absolutely no chance.

The Lakers would have destroyed that version of the Clippers. All their load management, lack of chemistry, etc. came back to bite them. If it wasn’t the Nuggets in 7 it would have been the Lakers in 5.

This year it (if we are going on current trends), it’s more of a toss up and the Clippers probably win. Again, if it’s the teams as currently built and playing the way they currently are...

you can say am pessimistic.

If you say the Bubble version- I might agree with you. they might have showed up if it's against us. If you remember we haven't played tha great either. it took us 6 games to beat injured Heat
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject:

roger_federer wrote:
you can say am pessimistic.

If you say the Bubble version- I might agree with you. they might have showed up if it's against us. If you remember we haven't played tha great either. it took us 6 games to beat injured Heat

The Heat were the best team the Lakers faced...maybe honorable mention to Denver who kept games close even if it was just a 5 game series.

The Heat had a tremendous culture and they work their asses off. The clippers were not beating the Lakers or the Heat tbh. They were lucky they didn’t lose in round 1 to the Mavs.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 288, 289, 290 ... 437, 438, 439  Next
Page 289 of 439
Jump to: