ESPN: There's a gap between Clippers and Lakers (Clipper/Laker Discussion)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 440, 441, 442  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Someone should post pictures of the Lakers championship banners and then the Clippers covering up the Lakers banners side by side with the caption: "There's your gap!"

This is good

Thank you. Joe Pesci once called me the Dennis Miller of LakersGround.com
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
slavavov wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I don't think the Lakers will chase a top seed. We will rightfully load manage LBJ/AD and have them fresh for the playoffs.

I do expect the team to thin out the 8 guards we currently have.

I think we will be a robust buyout destination to add a few quality vets.

The team we see by April will be pretty interesting. I wouldn't get all up in arms about the regular season standings. No one hangs up Division banners. Oh wait, the Clips...

I don't think they will be in the hunt for a top 1 or 2 seed. But they do need to be thinking 3 or 4 to have any shot at having a deep playoff run IMO. Home court in he first round and avoiding trips to Den/Utah/ Hou is a must.

That means Davis and James have to be out minimal games.

If the Lakers are as good as we think they'll be and they avoid major injuries, they should absolutely go for the top seed. You want to have home court advantage as much as possible, especially for the WCF and the NBA finals. Home court advantage does matter, plus by winning more games we can develop and ingrain the right winning habits in March and early April and be ready for the playoffs.

Not arguing with your lofty goal of wanting top seed. Just don’t think the Lakers will be consistent enough all season long to earn it. Especially if players are taking games off to rest.

Injuries will be a wild card for all the teams not just the Lakers. Top teams will be just as screwed if Gobert, Harden or Jokic all we’re out 20+ games as the LA teams will be if any of the four marquee players miss that much.

Lakers have a lot of work to do to find the right rotations and roles. Communication and efficiency just don’t happen, it takes reps and trust in critical moments. And the Lakers will likely be working on changes all season. Especially if injuries occur or the often speculated mid season trade changes roles all over again.

Getting to the playoffs will be one victory. Making a four series run against western conference competition is going to take a whole next level of chemistry.

You're constantly going on and on about "players taking games off." For one, the only time we saw any measure of "load management" from LeBron last season was when he came back from the hamstring injury and wasn't 100%. Any talk of "load management" for this coming season has been imposed and assumed by people outside of the team itself, primarily fans. It's been thrown around and assumed way too much.

That said, I wouldn't be opposed to LeBron taking a game off every once in awhile if the team is in position to afford it. But alas, your extremism emerges once again and you assume that LeBron and AD will practically miss half the season or something. It's not that serious.

youre not getting the point. whoever this is addressed to...i agree with them about load management being a ridiculous idea that is becoming like a culture movement in the nba. this is a term that is being thrown around a lot, like "parity" before and it means more than what the word indicates.

load management is really about players exerting their power over owners. this is new, no coincidence due to the insane salaries recently. star players are no longer going to be kobe/mj types, those days are over. they are going to be lebron types. guys who are targeting certain stats and accolades and using their star power influence to get those targets, and hence increase their power. this is not about playing basketball. its more like about celebrity politics.

what this means for basketball, is we are unlikely to see the continuation of certain "legacy" lines like the whole elgin-dr.j-MJ-kobe type styles. because these stars will not necessarily be trying to get better at basketball vs getting better at getting those targets that i mentioned. this is in a lot of ways why guys like fultz and lonzo can go so high in a draft. nobody who shoots like lonzo should be drafted, let alone at the top. very strange stuff, basketball wise.

so load management is a big deal, and its a deep, subtle idea that is representing a much larger movement in the nba that wont get talked about much. like i said, similar to parity..which is essentially a code word that means things like "the lakers win too much". after supposedly achieving parity in 2011, there is no more parity than before...EXCEPT for the successful goal of the lakers not winning anymore.
3baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject:

Analysts are quick to criticize our roster for lacking playmaking whereas the clippers don't even have a true point guard or anyone with legit playmaking skills.

If Zubac goes down, they become too small.

Shamet is Danny Green without the defense.

Lou Williams is still an overrated chucker who was dead last in DRPM for shooting guards last season and 508th out of all 514 players in the league . http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/page/3/sort/DRPM/position/2
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject:

3baller wrote:
Analysts are quick to criticize our roster for lacking playmaking whereas the clippers don't even have a true point guard or anyone with legit playmaking skills.

Lou Williams is still an overrated chucker who was dead last in DRPM for shooting guards last season and 508th out of all 514 players in the league . http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/page/3/sort/DRPM/position/2

i would not say hes overrated. just this last playoffs, he completely carried the clipps, it was very impressive. but to the overall point i do agree that its not so clear to me why the clipps should be so much better?
the only players i worry about with them are lou and pg. im not even worried about kawhi, just like clipps wouldnt be worried about lebron. but the rest...i like our guys. were good, and were really big. which is the best thing you can be, honestly. well see. and i think the rest of our team is pretty solid.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject:

3baller wrote:

Size and playmaking are their issues... Lou is a stud. I'd love him in any roster I built.

LeBron, AD, Kuzma, Green, Bradley, Dwight, Cook, McGee, Rondo, Caruso
Kawhi, PG, Lou, Harrell, Beverly, Zubac, Harkless, Shamet, Green, Robinson

Those are pretty close IMO. Both have holes. Defensively Clips are superior. Offensively, I like our squad a whole lot better.

Iggy makes a big difference. Losing Boogie hurt big time too.

We'll see.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:01 am    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
Judah wrote:
slavavov wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I don't think the Lakers will chase a top seed. We will rightfully load manage LBJ/AD and have them fresh for the playoffs.

The team we see by April will be pretty interesting. I wouldn't get all up in arms about the regular season standings. No one hangs up Division banners. Oh wait, the Clips...

I don't think they will be in the hunt for a top 1 or 2 seed. But they do need to be thinking 3 or 4 to have any shot at having a deep playoff run IMO. Home court in he first round and avoiding trips to Den/Utah/ Hou is a must.

If the Lakers are as good as we think they'll be and they avoid major injuries, they should absolutely go for the top seed. You want to have home court advantage as much as possible, especially for the WCF and the NBA finals. Home court advantage does matter, plus by winning more games we can develop and ingrain the right winning habits in March and early April and be ready for the playoffs.

Not arguing with your lofty goal of wanting top seed. Just don’t think the Lakers will be consistent enough all season long to earn it. Especially if players are taking games off to rest.

Injuries will be a wild card for all the teams not just the Lakers. Top teams will be just as screwed if Gobert, Harden or Jokic all we’re out 20+ games as the LA teams will be if any of the four marquee players miss that much.

Lakers have a lot of work to do to find the right rotations and roles. Communication and efficiency just don’t happen, it takes reps and trust in critical moments. And the Lakers will likely be working on changes all season. Especially if injuries occur or the often speculated mid season trade changes roles all over again.

Getting to the playoffs will be one victory. Making a four series run against western conference competition is going to take a whole next level of chemistry.

You're constantly going on and on about "players taking games off." For one, the only time we saw any measure of "load management" from LeBron last season was when he came back from the hamstring injury and wasn't 100%. Any talk of "load management" for this coming season has been imposed and assumed by people outside of the team itself, primarily fans. It's been thrown around and assumed way too much.

That said, I wouldn't be opposed to LeBron taking a game off every once in awhile if the team is in position to afford it. But alas, your extremism emerges once again and you assume that LeBron and AD will practically miss half the season or something. It's not that serious.

youre not getting the point. whoever this is addressed to...i agree with them about load management being a ridiculous idea that is becoming like a culture movement in the nba. this is a term that is being thrown around a lot, like "parity" before and it means more than what the word indicates.

load management is really about players exerting their power over owners. this is new, no coincidence due to the insane salaries recently. star players are no longer going to be kobe/mj types, those days are over. they are going to be lebron types. guys who are targeting certain stats and accolades and using their star power influence to get those targets, and hence increase their power. this is not about playing basketball. its more like about celebrity politics.

what this means for basketball, is we are unlikely to see the continuation of certain "legacy" lines like the whole elgin-dr.j-MJ-kobe type styles. because these stars will not necessarily be trying to get better at basketball vs getting better at getting those targets that i mentioned. this is in a lot of ways why guys like fultz and lonzo can go so high in a draft. nobody who shoots like lonzo should be drafted, let alone at the top. very strange stuff, basketball wise.

so load management is a big deal, and its a deep, subtle idea that is representing a much larger movement in the nba that wont get talked about much. like i said, similar to parity..which is essentially a code word that means things like "the lakers win too much". after supposedly achieving parity in 2011, there is no more parity than before...EXCEPT for the successful goal of the lakers not winning anymore.

No, the conversation was not about load management in general and whether it's good or bad. It was about the Lakers' chances of getting a top seed in the West. He ruled them out for getting first because he assuming "load management" is going to be prevalent for some reason. Not sure how you missed that.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:42 am    Post subject:

My theory is that the sports media is blowing up the Clippers simply because they are setting them up to fail. After all, the Clippers are a LA team, and the media hates Los Angeles. So, yeah, the Clippers have a ton of pressure on them, being anointed (especially by EPSN) as the next NBA Champs. I like how the Lakers are positioned. No one expects us to win it all. That's the preferred position to be in.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:46 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
If we are relying on McGee and Howard we have already lost

but Clippers relying on Bev and Harrell, so...
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:09 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
My theory is that the sports media is blowing up the Clippers simply because they are setting them up to fail. After all, the Clippers are a LA team, and the media hates Los Angeles. So, yeah, the Clippers have a ton of pressure on them, being anointed (especially by EPSN) as the next NBA Champs. I like how the Lakers are positioned. No one expects us to win it all. That's the preferred position to be in.

Or the Clippers just signed the 2019 Finals MVP
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:41 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:

And traded for the guy who finished 3rd in regular season MVP voting.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:53 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Click bait.

Yup. I can hardly wait until training camp reports sit at the top of the thread lists, not Clipper angst.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:15 am    Post subject:

Clips (generally) have greater continuity, that also includes a track record of not getting to the second round

With Beverly, Kwahi and PG - they have three elite one-on-one perimeters defenders when they are in the court together. The question of Team D and taking advantage of the other two defenders and compensating for height/bulk are strategic factors

Both teams have completely revamped their respective coaching staffs, hence both teams will be learning in the fly (Doc + Lue vs Vogel + Hollins)

How will Load Management affect the regular season and playoffs
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:33 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
slavavov wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

My extremism? Where do I speculate "half the season"?

You are correct. Load management is a discussion more from fans, not from the team itself. Pure speculation on my part on what James will do. Consider it is a reality of the current NBA though. Spurs created the conversation a decade ago, Leonard made it more acceptable strategy last season. Even Vogel recently stated it is a case by case situation. But it is still something to be considered when looking at the long season.

You even state " you are not opposed to him taking a game off if the team is in a position to afford it" What does that mean? When can they afford it? Back to backs? Lakers have 10 of them on the schedule. During tough stretches of 4 games in 7 days?

I've seen others suggest "meaningless games" Which ones are those? A "bad" loss to Memphis in Jan is just as bad as a April loss in Utah in the standings.

Returning from a injury or managing an ongoing issue like Leonard is not the discussion. It is rest days. How many are acceptable? Especially when we are discussing playoff standings being decided by so few games. Both Clips and Lakers will be effected by this strategy and placement in the standings.

My preference is the same as I had last year. Play James less mpg. Under 30 per game IMO. Keeps him fresher so he doesn't have to "save himself on defense". And it better prepares the team for his rest days or an unexpected injury that keeps him out for an extended time.

Spurs/Duncan would be a great example in fact. Last four years of his career. He played under 30mpg. Then again the Spurs did have him as the focal point as the Lakers do with James. Lakers need to find a way to find the play makers and system to make Davis the MVP this season. With or without James on the floor.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:38 am    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
3baller wrote:

i would not say hes overrated. just this last playoffs, he completely carried the clipps, it was very impressive. but to the overall point i do agree that its not so clear to me why the clipps should be so much better?
the only players i worry about with them are lou and pg. im not even worried about kawhi, just like clipps wouldnt be worried about lebron. but the rest...i like our guys. were good, and were really big. which is the best thing you can be, honestly. well see. and i think the rest of our team is pretty solid.

Joe Ingles shut down PG in the playoffs (when he was healthy). Why are we worried about PG again?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:39 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
troy wrote:

And traded for the guy who finished 3rd in regular season MVP voting.

Both are really good players.

But I'd be very concerned for the durability of both players.

KL's injury/load management issues has been discussed at length.

PG has in the span of one calendar year, had knee surgery and 2 operations on his shoulders. Can his body hold up?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:40 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
3baller wrote:

Joe Ingles shut down PG in the playoffs (when he was healthy). Why are we worried about PG again?

This post seems to imply that Joe Ingles isn't very good at his job. Put Joe Ingles on the Lakers and they're the championship favorites.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:41 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
3baller wrote:

This post seems to imply that Joe Ingles isn't very good at his job. Put Joe Ingles on the Lakers and they're the championship favorites.

It implies that PG13 isn't (recently) a threat in the playoffs. Ingles is a nice role player for sure, but isn't a transcendent player that the Lakers do not have.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
3baller wrote:

It implies that PG13 isn't (recently) a threat in the playoffs. Ingles is a nice role player for sure, but isn't a transcendent player that the Lakers do not have.

"Transcendent?"

That escalated quickly, yinoma. You like to do that a lot when making counterarguments.

Here's a better counterargument: "in Danny Green and an engaged Lebron the Lakers are one of the few teams that can match up to the Clippers All-Star wing duo as well or better than the Jazz."
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:54 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
3baller wrote:

"Transcendent?"

That escalated quickly, yinoma. You like to do that a lot when making counterarguments.

Here's a better counterargument: "in Danny Green and an engaged Lebron the Lakers are one of the few teams that can match up to the Clippers All-Star wing duo as well or better than the Jazz."

I'd like to see where I implied that Ingles isn't very good at his job? If Ingles could do it, do we not have some players on our team who can?

Clips fans make it seem like PG13 is some sort of undefendable force in the playoffs.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:59 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
If we are relying on McGee and Howard we have already lost

but Clippers relying on Bev and Harrell, so...

Actually they aren’t
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:02 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
3baller wrote:

Ingles is a Laker?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject:

When PG13 was last healthy (I'm not counting last playoffs as he was playing hurt), against the Jazz he was 25ppg, but shot only 40% overall on 20 shots a game. More disturbing was his 4 turnovers per game to 2.7apg (and the next playoffs series against the Blazers in 18-19 still had 4 turnovers per game).

He's a good player. Don't get me wrong. But I don't think he's been able to elevate his game to the level he used to be when he was younger (and less injured). He's had a string of major injuries (broken leg, knee procedure and now 2 shoulder surgeries). They take a toll on you.

He'll still be a 20+ ppg scorer in the playoffs, but he is defendable IMO.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
3baller wrote:

Ingles is a Laker?

Yes.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:06 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
3baller wrote:

"Transcendent?"

I'd like to see where I implied that Ingles isn't very good at his job? If Ingles could do it, do we not have some players on our team who can?

Clips fans make it seem like PG13 is some sort of undefendable force in the playoffs.

Quote:

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject:

^Thanks for your interpretation BVH.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 440, 441, 442  Next
Page 4 of 442
Jump to: