ESPN: There's a gap between Clippers and Lakers (Clipper/Laker Discussion)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 251, 252, 253 ... 440, 441, 442  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
alleyoop wrote:
So according to Marc Stein, Clippers are adding Dan Craig from the Heat, Kenny Atkinson, as well as Billups and Larry Drew

As much as people give J-Kidd (bleep), I'd still take Kidd/Hollins/Handy over that lot, low key

Easily. More like high key. That group is not going to out-strategize our staff, especially with Vogel leading the way. His gameplans are elite.

NBA assistant coaches matter in the following ways:

1) As the head coach's interpreter to players who may not relate to him,
2) As security blankets/babysitters for exceptional "headcase" players,
3) As the replacement in waiting when the FO fires the head coach.

Player development, etc., is for special assistants, training camp and off season.

Strategy and tactics are dictated by your personnel. Basketball is a game invented by a gym teacher and almost everyone in the NBA in versed in X's & O's. The only time "something new" discombobulates the league is when you have Hall of Fame, unicorn-like talent executing it.

SSOL worked with a unicorn like Steve Nash, a manchild in Amar'e and a rare swiss army knife in The Matrix . . . but still couldn't get past the stodgy pick-n-roll/screen away/4-down Spurs.

The W's had probably the best shooters in the history of the game with Steph/Klay plus a triple/double generating Rodman like defender in Drae - and had to go get KD and overwhelm the league with talent after getting punched in the nose by LBJ.

The Lakers' formula in 19-20: Big, dynamic, creative guard + once-in-a-generation big man = championship.

The Lakers' formula in 09-10: Big, dynamic, creative guard + once-in-a-generation big man = championshiip

The Lakers' formula in 99-00: Big, dynamic, creative guard + once-in-a-generation big man = championship

The Lakers' formula in 87-88: Big, dynamic, creative guard + once-in-a-generation big man = championship

The Lakers' formula in 71-72: Big, dynamic, creative guard + once-in-a-generation big man = championship
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:10 am    Post subject:

Clippers think you can just slap a bunch of names together and win a championship. They have another rough season incoming. Ballmer is a douche who thinks he can buy anything he wants... again he is learning a new lesson in life.

drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject:

Courtesy of the Clipper subreddit:

https://i.redd.it/rjs8smox4vv51.jpg
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:57 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:

Reggie for a Playstation5
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
drae wrote:

Reggie for a Playstation5

And Reggie had a chance to sign with us and get some playing time but chose to play with his buddy buddy Pandemic P
JPaulK0n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject:

To think this was how things started on Opening Day:

https://old.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/dluhu2/lebron_ad_combine_for_2_points_in_the_fourth/
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject:

JPaulK0n wrote:
To think this was how things started on Opening Day:

https://old.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/dluhu2/lebron_ad_combine_for_2_points_in_the_fourth/

There was a certain kind of symmetry when Kawhi and PG combined for 0 points in the 4th of game 7 against the Nuggets xD
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:33 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Quote:
Steve Nash says the Lakers chemistry was the difference maker in them overcoming depth or talent disadvantages — seems to be alluding to the Clippers.

https://twitter.com/billyreinhardt/status/1321125098900869120?s=21

Lakers had depth. In fact, we were one of the few playoff teams that ran a 9 man rotation in the playoffs.

The talent issue is more about offense, IMO. Sort of like the 2000-2002 Lakers and the 2008-10 Lakers, the starting 5 did not have a natural point guard, and the teams real point guard with the starters was one of the GOAT wings. Similarly we never had a true go to 3rd option, again much like the Kobe/Shaq Lakers.

We relied on the brilliance of AD/Bron to create open looks for role players. However it took the right talent as well. We didn't sign guys like Melo, we signed guys like Kieff. Kieff won't take plays for himself, he will sit back and be a 3 point bomber.

Still, I would argue one thing about the talent. The talent on this Lakers squad may be all time worthy on the defensive end. I can not recall any recent championship team that had so many all-league NBA defensive team guys.

AD is the DPOTY, or runner up each year, elite defensive talent.
Dwight won DPOTY 3 times, and is an elite defensive talent.
Bron has been on all NBA defensive team selection, 6 times.
Rondo has been on all NBA defensive teams.
Bradley has been on all NBA defensive teams 2 times.
Caruso, he has talent on D in spades.
Green, he has been on all NBA defensive teams.

6 of our top 9 players in the rotation, they were on all defensive teams. Then you add Caruso and KCP, both of whom are above average on defense, and Caruso is very good on D. At some point in their careers a large portion of this team's talent were a top 10 defender in the NBA, one of the best at their positions defensively and in the case of AD, presently the most valuable defensive talent in the league. That is how we built the team, from a defensive stand point, using Vogel's mindset.

Honestly I would argue this is one of the few ring teams in the last 20 years that could play in any era, any rules, any match up. Sure they may not win against all of them, but they would not be overmatched. They have the ability to match up with anyone because of their defensive versatility. People will underrate this squad because they lacked a 3rd star, but teams who had 3 stars and won, they didn't defend like this group or have the sort of versatility to match up with teams like this squad did.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:40 am    Post subject:

Question of the Day:

Will Ty (former Laker; won a chip with the Lakers) keep up Doc's (former Celtics coach) tradition of covering up Laker championship banners during Clippers home games? To do so would mean he'd be covering up some of his own professional accomplishments.

He better not put those selfies back up. IJS
dfchang813
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:31 am    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:
Question of the Day:

Will Ty (former Laker; won a chip with the Lakers) keep up Doc's (former Celtics coach) tradition of covering up Laker championship banners during Clippers home games? To do so would mean he'd be covering up some of his own professional accomplishments.

He won’t do that. It’s the sort of petty (bleep) that was emblematic of the Clippers attitude problem last year. Just show up, shut the F up, and do the work. Let your game do the talking. Acknowledge and respect what the Lakers have done and work on doing the same thing. That will go a long way to earning the respect and legitimacy they crave.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:52 am    Post subject:

dfchang813 wrote:
Texas_Pete wrote:
Question of the Day:

He won’t do that. It’s the sort of petty (bleep) that was emblematic of the Clippers attitude problem last year. Just show up, shut the F up, and do the work. Let your game do the talking. Acknowledge and respect what the Lakers have done and work on doing the same thing. That will go a long way to earning the respect and legitimacy they crave.

I doubt that is a HC decision. That seems more a marketing/ownership type decision. Which i find ludicrous.

The Clippers literally play in the Lakers building in the Lakers' town in the shadow of one of the greatest organizations in the League.

Expecting any sort of respect and legitimacy is plain stupid. Even "relocating" to a new arena in LA is ridiculous IMO. Balmer should re-brand and move to another city. Create their own identity and fan base. Even if the Clippers were to win a championship they are still going to be 2nd choice,

It would be like walking down the aisle on your wedding day and all everyone can talk about is how awesome the "ex" was, including the bride/groom.
pokoy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:46 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
dfchang813 wrote:
Texas_Pete wrote:
Question of the Day:

I doubt that is a HC decision. That seems more a marketing/ownership type decision. Which i find ludicrous.

The Clippers literally play in the Lakers building in the Lakers' town in the shadow of one of the greatest organizations in the League.

Expecting any sort of respect and legitimacy is plain stupid. Even "relocating" to a new arena in LA is ridiculous IMO. Balmer should re-brand and move to another city. Create their own identity and fan base. Even if the Clippers were to win a championship they are still going to be 2nd choice,

It would be like walking down the aisle on your wedding day and all everyone can talk about is how awesome the "ex" was, including the bride/groom.

I recently just learned that Donald Sterling forced the clippers into LA from SD; David Stern didn’t want him to do that and fined him an insane amount of money for doing so without permission. Sterling was truly the worst, and Ballmer is never moving the team. Too much money to be lost.

I used to live in SoCal during the Sedale Threatt/Tony Smith era but moved away a bit after that time. Was a Laker town then and had always been a Laker town every time I visit, even during the lob city years. Has Ballmer made a dent at all with his huge marketing blitzes? Genuinely curious. While we joke about how pathetic they are, I’ll watch shows like Blackish or BlackAF (both are the first shows that come to my mind, both by Kenya Barris so should probably just count as one show) and see them sport Clippers gear during the show and root for them, the way the Lakers would be shown in shows when I was younger, and I wonder if they really have gained a stronger foothold there.

Globally though it’s not even close.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LastStand 2.0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:09 am    Post subject:

Couldn’t the clippers have just signed jimmy butler outright?

GM kawhi Leonard screwed them over lol.

I feel like they could’ve conceivably walked into 2019 with kawhi, butler, SGA, Beverly, Harrell, shamet, and Gallinari

Zubac
Gallinari
Leonard
Butler
SGA

Lulz. I wonder if Leonard would’ve rather had butler than George now? Idiot
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject:

LastStand 2.0 wrote:

I feel like they could’ve conceivably walked into 2019 with kawhi, butler, SGA, Beverly, Harrell, shamet, and Gallinari

Zubac
Gallinari
Leonard
Butler
SGA

Kawhi actually did want Butler. His first choice was Kevin Durant but he already had his mind with Kyrie in Brooklyn. His 2nd choice was Jimmy Butler and really wanted him to come.

Butler however, really wanted to be with a team that shared his desire of hard work and grit. The Heat filled that mold with Pat Riley’s culture of playing to win every year. And due to Kawhi’s physical condition of needing to load manage every back-to-back games, Jimmy went with the Heat instead and also became the man of the team.

So George was the 3rd option. And if the Clippers couldn’t get anything done for George, he would have signed with the Lakers. So they became desperate and gave away all those picks and SGA/Gallo to get him there.

Rest is history.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:45 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
LastStand 2.0 wrote:

Zubac
Gallinari
Leonard
Butler
SGA

Kawhi actually did want Butler. His first choice was Kevin Durant but he already had his mind with Kyrie in Brooklyn. His 2nd choice was Jimmy Butler and really wanted him to come.

Butler however, really wanted to be with a team that shared his desire of hard work and grit. The Heat filled that mold with Pat Riley’s culture of playing to win every year. And due to Kawhi’s physical condition of needing to load manage every back-to-back games, Jimmy went with the Heat instead and also became the man of the team.

So George was the 3rd option. And if the Clippers couldn’t get anything done for George, he would have signed with the Lakers. So they became desperate and gave away all those picks and SGA/Gallo to get him there.

Rest is history.

I think Kawhi would have signed a 1+1 deal with Toronto, he was stringing the Lakers along. He just doesn’t want to play with Lebron.

It’s pretty obvious he wants to compete against and surpass him and build his own (quiet) brand with Uncle Dennis and New Balance. He wanted LA so the Clippers were the only choice.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:12 am    Post subject:

Kawhi ain't ever gonna surpass Bron or Kobe.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
Kawhi ain't ever gonna surpass Bron or Kobe.

Doesn’t seem like it, he just doesn’t play enough tbh. It doesn’t matter how many rings he gets if he’s not even close in games played and points. There is something to be said about durability. Part of the gig is being able to play most of the regular season.

If rings were the only measure, Horry would be in the GOAT conversation.
l4kerz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:30 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
LastStand 2.0 wrote:

Zubac
Gallinari
Leonard
Butler
SGA

Rest is history.

Some history. PG was not a free agent.

KaLie reached out to PG, who then requested a trade out of OKC.
l4kerz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
LastStand 2.0 wrote:

Zubac
Gallinari
Leonard
Butler
SGA

Rest is history.

drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:44 pm    Post subject:

The Clippers failed to come together as a unit, but this 4 minute video shows perfectly why Kawhi was named best player in the NBA just a year ago:

Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:37 pm    Post subject:

l4kerz wrote:
Megaton wrote:
LastStand 2.0 wrote:

Zubac
Gallinari
Leonard
Butler
SGA

Rest is history.

I think the poster meant that Kawhi would sign with the Lakers.
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:18 pm    Post subject:

Has Jerry West publicly commented on the Lakers championship or the Clippers' failure? Not sure if he was supporting the PG trade as a consultant but that's looking like a big mistake now. They gave of so much to a guy who wilts under pressure.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:27 pm    Post subject:

ducasse wrote:
Has Jerry West publicly commented on the Lakers championship or the Clippers' failure? Not sure if he was supporting the PG trade as a consultant but that's looking like a big mistake now. They gave of so much to a guy who wilts under pressure.

As expected, he kept it classy.

https://extratv.com/2020/10/12/jerry-west-reacts-to-lakers-17th-championship-title-plus-his-thoughts-on-kobe-bryants-mamba-mentality/

West continued, “The people who have been Laker fans for years, to see a team like this accomplish what they accomplished in an unbelievably difficult environment… Congratulations to the Lakers on an incredible job.”

It probably hurts watching the Lakers win . . . especially since he's put so much of his recent efforts into beating the Lakers. It's a shame that he and Dr. Buss fell out like that.
easybreeze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject:

ducasse wrote:

Jerry has operated the same way, when he was with Memphis, and Golden State. His comments would only give sports media hacks something to twist his opinions into a story.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
ducasse wrote:

As expected, he kept it classy.

https://extratv.com/2020/10/12/jerry-west-reacts-to-lakers-17th-championship-title-plus-his-thoughts-on-kobe-bryants-mamba-mentality/

West continued, “The people who have been Laker fans for years, to see a team like this accomplish what they accomplished in an unbelievably difficult environment… Congratulations to the Lakers on an incredible job.”

It probably hurts watching the Lakers win . . . especially since he's put so much of his recent efforts into beating the Lakers. It's a shame that he and Dr. Buss fell out like that.

That’s what Phil Jackson does.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 251, 252, 253 ... 440, 441, 442  Next
Page 252 of 442
Jump to: