ESPN: There's a gap between Clippers and Lakers (Clipper/Laker Discussion)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 353, 354, 355 ... 437, 438, 439  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject:

Chris Haynes
@ChrisBHaynes
Los Angeles Clippers star Kawhi Leonard (knee) will not travel with the team to Phoenix to continue rehabbing at home, league sources tell @YahooSports, @NBAonTNT.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
32 wrote:
Wow. I can't believe this is real. They are celebrating like they won the championship.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JoseWithOranges/status/1406123349076439043

They are going to the conference finals for the 1st time. It's not a crime to celebrate it.

The celebrating is understandable. Took 50 yrs and a lot of current self doubt to get here. Enjoy the moment.

I'm more interested in the Lue comment. Wants Laker fans to root for the clips because we are "all one city". He's joking right?

Depends on how he said it. If he was sincere and not dismissing or insulting, I would respect his position. I support local teams, and I didn't start out hating the Clippers. Years ago, I was a Clipper and Lakers fan. But the only reason why I hate the Clippers now is because Paul George dissed us when he said he wanted to come here, and then KL did sort of the same thing when he strung us on. If the Clippers can just show the Lakers their due respect, I may come around to them.
Karmaloop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
They are going to the conference finals for the 1st time. It's not a crime to celebrate it.

I mean, if you want to celebrate going to a Conference Final all the power to you.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject:

It’s not just a conference finals appearance they’re celebrating— they had a 25 point comeback in the closeout game. That on its own is reason to celebrate and get excited. Plus you look at the 2 series comebacks. Winning game 5&6 without their best player. And being the first team in the franchise history to get this far. It’s a lot to be proud of. Doesn’t mean that they’re satisfied.
Even Kobe celebrated and went crazy when he won a first round playoff game that didn’t even win the series (2006). Are we gonna make fun of him too?
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:59 pm    Post subject:

Two clipper fans i know see their team win but still salty as f...i congrat them one bemoans “yea no excuses like laker fans” the other says “dont jinx me”

Lol. I wont discuss their team with them rest of this season with them. Get enough salt from my chips and these message boards🤪
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject:

Cp3 out for game 1. Welps
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
Two clipper fans i know see their team win but still salty as f...i congrat them one bemoans “yea no excuses like laker fans” the other says “dont jinx me”

Lol. I wont discuss their team with them rest of this season with them. Get enough salt from my chips and these message boards🤪

Hahaha. I have one friend who’s a long time clipper fan. We made a bet back around 2015 which team would win a title first, Lakers or Clippers. Lob City had the obvious advantage over our lottery team. But then Lebron won me $100 eventually
We still like to talk trash but he’s kind of in that win-win place where he expects them to break his heart so stuff like last year didn’t even phase him. This year it’s just been one pleasant surprise after another for him. I’m happy he gets to have some payoff for all the years he stuck with them.
KOBE WAN
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:42 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
32 wrote:
Wow. I can't believe this is real. They are celebrating like they won the championship.

The celebrating is understandable. Took 50 yrs and a lot of current self doubt to get here. Enjoy the moment.

I'm more interested in the Lue comment. Wants Laker fans to root for the clips because we are "all one city". He's joking right?

Depends on how he said it. If he was sincere and not dismissing or insulting, I would respect his position. I support local teams, and I didn't start out hating the Clippers. Years ago, I was a Clipper and Lakers fan. But the only reason why I hate the Clippers now is because Paul George dissed us when he said he wanted to come here, and then KL did sort of the same thing when he strung us on. If the Clippers can just show the Lakers their due respect, I may come around to them.

This!
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:53 pm    Post subject:

KOBE WAN wrote:
troy wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
32 wrote:

This!

Odd. I disliked them since the cp3 and Blake days.
Actually liked them in the Loy Vaught days and the LO days.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:07 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
KOBE WAN wrote:
troy wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
32 wrote:

This!

They were likeable during the Elton Brand days
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject:

Kobetan wrote:
epic_ wrote:
KOBE WAN wrote:
troy wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
32 wrote:

This!

True. The year he took them to the playoffs, the Lakers fell to the Suns I think.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:14 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
Kobetan wrote:
epic_ wrote:
KOBE WAN wrote:
troy wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
32 wrote:

This!

True. The year he took them to the playoffs, the Lakers fell to the Suns I think.

If Balmer was smart, he'd advocate for a partnership between the Lakers and the Clippers. Healthy competition, a rivalry of respect, yes, but a comradery. LA has two of the most potent basketball teams in the NBA. From a marketing standpoint, Balmer should exploit that and build upon that up. Push for a 1-2 punch and make Los Angeles the focal point, not the individual teams. And he should not attack generations of Laker supporters and pulling sneaky deals behind the Lakers' back.
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:25 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
32 wrote:
Jerry West hasn't done anything yet except help get his team to the WCF. If they win a championship I will give him credit. Remember this is the same clown that called the reigning champions a (bleep) show.

Jerry West wasn't lying.

Lakers made Jerry look foolish when they won a ring after that comment while the guy he recruited crapped the bed when it mattered.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
epic_ wrote:
Kobetan wrote:
epic_ wrote:
KOBE WAN wrote:
troy wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
32 wrote:

This!

If Balmer was smart, he'd advocate for a partnership between the Lakers and the Clippers. Healthy competition, a rivalry of respect, yes, but a comradery. LA has two of the most potent basketball teams in the NBA. From a marketing standpoint, Balmer should exploit that and build upon that up. Push for a 1-2 punch and make Los Angeles the focal point, not the individual teams. And he should not attack generations of Laker supporters and pulling sneaky deals behind the Lakers' back.

They were likable as the underdogs (almost the “backup” Lakers). Once they became perennial frontrunners despite never having won anything, they became insufferable.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:08 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:

Balmer bought the team for how many billion? He should move the team, change the name, make his own brand. That’s what Bennett did after he bought the Seattle Supersonics.
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
troy wrote:

Balmer bought the team for how many billion? He should move the team, change the name, make his own brand. That’s what Bennett did after he bought the Seattle Supersonics.

That ship has long sailed. The explosion in TV contracts and team valuations in the last decade have all but killed the notion of relocation these days (especially in the Clippers' case). It really makes zero fiscal or business sense for Ballmer to consider it. Ballmer paid $2 billion for the Clippers. The Sonics were sold to Bennett for $350 million. Ballmer would likely have to pay more than that $350 million just in relocation fees. Ballmer could afford it, but business-wise the move makes no sense as he'd be moving the team to a market that is just more than 1/3 the size of Los Angeles.

One of the biggest precursors to a team relocation is being unable to have a suitable stadium/arena. The Clippers do not have any arena issues (inferiority complex does not count). Staples Center is still in great shape as an NBA arena, and they will even have their own arena in a few years. Despite being the "little brother" to the Lakers in LA, they're still in a way better position business-wise than a majority of the league simply because they're in the LA market. That cannot be understated - just look at the Angels going so far as to literally change their team name to get "Los Angeles" in it even though they don't even play in LA County.
Chick-N-Stew
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject:

The only good thing I will say about the Clippers is about back in their Sports Arena days, you could bet rim high seats between the free-throw lines for $15. I used to go there to see the road team Showtime Lakers regularly..

Other than that, they can go back to SD. They've been dead to me ever since they covered our banners at Staples. Blasphemy!!
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject:

Chick-N-Stew wrote:
The only good thing I will say about the Clippers is about back in their Sports Arena days, you could bet rim high seats between the free-throw lines for $15. I used to go there to see the road team Showtime Lakers regularly..

Other than that, they can go back to SD. They've been dead to me ever since they covered our banners at Staples. Blasphemy!!

I would go to a lot of their games in the late 90's with the "elite team package" deals they had going on. You'd go to like 7-8 of the top games of the season for a really good price and you'd get to see the MJ Bulls, Shaq/Kobe Lakers, TD/DRob Spurs, Ewing Knicks etc.

Even after moving to Staples, they still did these package deals for great prices for the first year or two and I'm thankful for that because I got to be there for the game on Shaq's birthday when he got his career-high 61.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject:

i mean i think it's "too little too late", given snakes kawai and PG13 free agency antics with us. then the whole "LA our way" BS... BUT Ballmer could float IF THEY WIN A CHIP THIS YEAR - "he guys, why don't we do a joint Lakers/Clippers parade being y'all got cheated out of yours due to covid.

Lamar's Bud wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
troy wrote:

That ship has long sailed. The explosion in TV contracts and team valuations in the last decade have all but killed the notion of relocation these days (especially in the Clippers' case). It really makes zero fiscal or business sense for Ballmer to consider it. Ballmer paid $2 billion for the Clippers. The Sonics were sold to Bennett for $350 million. Ballmer would likely have to pay more than that $350 million just in relocation fees. Ballmer could afford it, but business-wise the move makes no sense as he'd be moving the team to a market that is just more than 1/3 the size of Los Angeles.

One of the biggest precursors to a team relocation is being unable to have a suitable stadium/arena. The Clippers do not have any arena issues (inferiority complex does not count). Staples Center is still in great shape as an NBA arena, and they will even have their own arena in a few years. Despite being the "little brother" to the Lakers in LA, they're still in a way better position business-wise than a majority of the league simply because they're in the LA market. That cannot be understated - just look at the Angels going so far as to literally change their team name to get "Los Angeles" in it even though they don't even play in LA County.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject:

How much did Ballmer pay Jerry to get him to come over? Ballmer must have made Jerry an offer he couldn't refuse. Very smart move by Ballmer and it seems to be paying off nicely. Clippers and Lakers seem to be moving in opposite directions ever since Ballmer took over. If it weren't for Lebron, Lakers still might have been playing for lottery picks right now.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
How much did Ballmer pay Jerry to get him to come over? Ballmer must have made Jerry an offer he couldn't refuse. Very smart move by Ballmer and it seems to be paying off nicely. Clippers and Lakers seem to be moving in opposite directions ever since Ballmer took over. If it weren't for Lebron, Lakers still might have been playing for lottery picks right now.

Interesting take. Lakers won a chip on Ballmers watch. Doesn't seem so opposite. Side: Jerry (right now) is overrated like crazy.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Interesting take. Lakers won a chip on Ballmers watch. Doesn't seem so opposite. Side: Jerry (right now) is overrated like crazy.

I’ll give credit to Jerry for them taking the gamble of trading Blake. I don’t think Ballmer has the balls to offload the superstar and franchise player when he desperately wants to be as cool as the Lakers in LA.

Jerry has the credibility and cache to get Ballmer to be onboard imo. If it wasn’t for JW, my guess is Blake is still on the Clippers and they are just a treadmill team.

Once there was some dysfunction with CP3, Jerry guided them through blowing it up and cashing in on Kawhi wanting to come home. I really feel that’s his biggest contribution...I don’t think anyone else has the balls to propose that to Ballmer and tbh Ballmer is probably only listening if it’s Jerry’s idea.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
epic_ wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

I’ll give credit to Jerry for them taking the gamble of trading Blake. I don’t think Ballmer has the balls to offload the superstar and franchise player when he desperately wants to be as cool as the Lakers in LA.

Jerry has the credibility and cache to get Ballmer to be onboard imo. If it wasn’t for JW, my guess is Blake is still on the Clippers and they are just a treadmill team.

Once there was some dysfunction with CP3, Jerry guided them through blowing it up and cashing in on Kawhi wanting to come home. I really feel that’s his biggest contribution...I don’t think anyone else has the balls to propose that to Ballmer and tbh Ballmer is probably only listening if it’s Jerry’s idea.

I feel like Frank and the FO are legit as well. Some people seem to give Jerry all credit for anything positive. I understand why people feel that way due to his past success, but I don't know how much sway Jerry has currently. I was wondering that while Jerry was in GS as well.

I do feel Jerry is well respected, and no one who has inside info would say anything negative about him, especially at his current age. So hard to tell if things said about him are legit, or people just being respectful.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
mixtim
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:

Lakers and Clippers don't seem to,they actually do move in opposite directions,ever since day 1,not since Ballmer

And those opposite directions scream rings for Lakers and wannabe and travesty for Clippers
LGFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

jerry west is way overrated in here. i agree
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 353, 354, 355 ... 437, 438, 439  Next
Page 354 of 439
Jump to: