Red meat consumption... surprisingly, not that bad
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:39 am    Post subject: Red meat consumption... surprisingly, not that bad

Annals of Internal Medicine 10/1/19

https://annals.org/aim/fullarticle/2752320/red-processed-meat-consumption-risk-all-cause-mortality-cardiometabolic-outcomes

Conclusion:
The magnitude of association between red and processed meat consumption and all-cause mortality and adverse cardiometabolic outcomes is very small, and the evidence is of low certainty.

https://annals.org/aim/fullarticle/2752321/reduction-red-processed-meat-intake-cancer-mortality-incidence-systematic-review

Conclusion:
The possible absolute effects of red and processed meat consumption on cancer mortality and incidence are very small, and the certainty of evidence is low to very low.

https://annals.org/aim/fullarticle/2752326/effect-lower-versus-higher-red-meat-intake-cardiometabolic-cancer-outcomes

Conclusion:
Low- to very-low-certainty evidence suggests that diets restricted in red meat may have little or no effect on major cardiometabolic outcomes and cancer mortality and incidence.

https://annals.org/aim/fullarticle/2752327/patterns-red-processed-meat-consumption-risk-cardiometabolic-cancer-outcomes-systematic

Conclusion:
Low- or very-low-certainty evidence suggests that dietary patterns with less red and processed meat intake may result in very small reductions in adverse cardiometabolic and cancer outcomes.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject:

it is usually all about moderation and balance as it relates to diet and nutrition
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
it is usually all about moderation and balance as it relates to diet and nutrition

Bingo. And not just diet and nutrition but in all aspects of life. Heresy, I know.
methdxman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject:

Easy tip in life: Just eat a lot less.

We eat way too much then we evolved for, especially after the industrial revolution. Just way too much energy available for us. Eat less.

Also, genetic factors are the biggest drivers of morbidity and mortality, and you're really only going to make things worse for yourself by a) smoking/similar or b) overeating and getting super fat.

Finally, red meat might be okay for your body but beef for human consumption is wreaking havoc on the environment. With that said, I can't give up burgers or steaks so I'm not preaching to anyone.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject:

methdxman wrote:
Easy tip in life: Just eat a lot less.

We eat way too much then we evolved for, especially after the industrial revolution. Just way too much energy available for us. Eat less.

Also, genetic factors are the biggest drivers of morbidity and mortality, and you're really only going to make things worse for yourself by a) smoking/similar or b) overeating and getting super fat.

Finally, red meat might be okay for your body but beef for human consumption is wreaking havoc on the environment. With that said, I can't give up burgers or steaks so I'm not preaching to anyone.

I only eat dinner and don't really control portions. Best lifestyle decision ever.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject:

No surprise, the “study” from the 80’s that concluded that red meat is bad for you was debunked years ago.
dubaholic1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject:

Since I went Keto in July I've dropped 25 lbs, my hair grew back thicker and fuller, my eyesight got better, I dont need to take antacids anymore.

All these benefits occurred from an almost meat exclusive diet containing 70% fat, 15% carbs and 15 % protein.

Bread, pasta, rice and basically all forms of gluten and sugar do not exist in my diet anymore, yet my blood pressure has gotten better, my cholesterol has actually improved and my A1C is normal.

I eat double fatburgers with cheese, no bun whenever I feel like it and the pounds are continuing to melt off.

Gluten is the killer, sugar is the killer. The Med profession will never cop to this truth . The "Food Pyramid " we've been taught since grade school is a lie.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject:

dubaholic1 wrote:

Gluten is the killer, sugar is the killer. The Med profession will never cop to this truth .

This is some charlatan garbage, sir. Virtually all physicians, especially pediatricians, stress the dangers to metabolic health inherent in high-sugar diets.

Last edited by Huey Lewis & The News on Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
No surprise, the “study” from the 80’s that concluded that red meat is bad for you was debunked years ago.

No surprise that you fail to elaborate on this claim.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject:

dubaholic1 wrote:
Since I went Keto in July I've dropped 25 lbs, my hair grew back thicker and fuller, my eyesight got better, I dont need to take antacids anymore.

All these benefits occurred from an almost meat exclusive diet containing 70% fat, 15% carbs and 15 % protein.

Bread, pasta, rice and basically all forms of gluten and sugar do not exist in my diet anymore, yet my blood pressure has gotten better, my cholesterol has actually improved and my A1C is normal.

I eat double fatburgers with cheese, no bun whenever I feel like it and the pounds are continuing to melt off.

Gluten is the killer, sugar is the killer. The Med profession will never cop to this truth . The "Food Pyramid " we've been taught since grade school is a lie.

It's already been proven the sugar industry bought and paid for scientists to take the stand and link heart disease solely on fats. There's a clamor about the effects the pharmaceutical industry had on the opiate crisis but not a peep about the culpability the sugar industry has with the heart disease crisis. Purely anecdotal, but across my fam's pharmacies, medications for diabetest type 2, heart issues, high blood pressure issues dwarfs opiate rx's. We have a nation of fatties that grew up stuffing their faces with breads and pasta. The good news is the tide is turning.

Last edited by jonnybravo on Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject:

The longest lived people on earth tend to eat a lot of carbs and low amounts of meats. Processed foods are your enemy, not carbs.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
The longest lived people on earth tend to eat a lot of carbs and low amounts of meats. Processed foods are your enemy, not carbs.

Genuine question...who are they?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Genuine question...who are they?

This was the findings of the study that led to the original book about blue zones (before some folks ran with the marketing concept). Populations in Sardinia, Greece, Costa Rica, Okinawa, and loma Linda California (I may be forgetting one). They had the highest number of centenarians and people living into their nineties. Very high health outcomes.

Fwiw, I’m not anti meat (although we do need to be eating a lot less of it from a population and environmental standpoint), and I eat moderate amounts of it myself.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject:

What's the carb that they typically eat? I should probably have specified that processed carbs and sugars are the enemy. I know a lot of asian ethnicities have a high number of people that age well into their 90s and rice is a huge staple.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:06 pm    Post subject:

At least for one of the groups OL mentioned, the Okinawans apparently eat a lot of sweet potatoes. Thought their secret to longevity was eating an abundance of fish (omega 3s), guess not.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20190116-a-high-carb-diet-may-explain-why-okinawans-live-so-long
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

No surprise that you fail to elaborate on this claim.

The guy traveled to different countries and wrote a book about how the healthiest people were in countries that ate little meat. Thane later admitted that he purposely left out healthy countries that ate a lot of meat. It spawned a diet revolution that was based on lies.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject:

The common thing of all the groups was legumes.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject:

I've cut down on red meat for the last 25 years and have had zero pallups during my last two colonoscopies..

You young guys who power down the red and processed meat on a daily basis will be in for a rude awaking when you have your first one!

Don't believe a guy on the internet?

ASK YOUR DOCTOR...!
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:19 am    Post subject:

dubaholic1 wrote:

Props on your lifestyle change and continued success
Glad I clicked to read the thread.

I recently walked into my local large circle k and was taken aback for a moment just being conscious of ALLL THE JUNK TRASH FOOD they put in my face all my life.

Here is my contribution to the health world. An acronym
NPC Nutrition Per Calorie. What value does your body receive from the calories
Protein is the only Calorie I say is responsible for "building". It also has the ability to stabilize blood glucose and defeat metabolic spikes
Fat is valuable energy that serves the metabolic functions in so many ways

Fiber is a carb that is very positive in moderation. Probably best ingested unprocessed also.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject:

Anybody eat ceviche before? I'm thinking about giving it a try.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject:

on a separate news

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/cannabis-cafe-lowell-farms-trnd/index.html
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

Its delicious. I love any kind of cold seafood. The key is freshness and citrus.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Its delicious. I love any kind of cold seafood. The key is freshness and citrus.

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

How are you in So cal and never tried ceviche!?

Its bomb. Do it. You wont regret it.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject:

I also make my own ceviche and it's awesome...!

I use cooked shrimp...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: