LeBron on Morey Tweet: "Misinformed"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

View previous topic :: View next topic  
methdxman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:46 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
LBJ was absolutely 100% correct about what he said. Morey was indeed misinformed, or a better phrase: lack of knowledge on the sensitivity of the conversations surrounding HK, Taiwan and Tibet to mainland China. i've been back to PRC numerous times, still have distant families there. they can show you around for good times, wild parties, and they would buy into American culture and products. but as soon as the conversation turns into those sensitive subjects, you can just sense the unity amongst them, no matter how they appear on the outside, deep down, if an outsider saying something about HK, TW or Tibet, it's like someone talking behind your back on one of your family members.

Eh, think you and others (on both sides) of the issue are missing the point.

Morey could have been misinformed about the ramifications about flippantly tweeting something about HK freedom, but we don't know that for sure. We don't know if that's what LeBron meant anyway, but fine he clarified it and that's what he meant. It still doesn't matter if he is CORRECT about Morey knowing or not knowing the ramifications about it.

Everyone has a right to express their opinion, even unpopular ones. And it doesn't matter if people in PRC are sensitive about a talking or if it's a "third rail" topic. Western countries stand for freedom of expression. Period.

Now, if we want to go into a debate about whether it's worth it to piss off China/Chinese people that's a whole different matter.

But LeBron saying that Morey should be careful about how his comments affect other people. We know what this means. He's talking about his pocket book. As long as he admits that, that's fine and actually understandable.

But don't be some wanna be social warrior when it comes to domestic issues or issues that don't affect your pocket book, compare yourself to Muhammed Ali, tweet about injustice everywhere being a threat to justice everywhere and then say that Morey should shut up.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
focus wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
LBJ was absolutely 100% correct about what he said. Morey was indeed misinformed, or a better phrase: lack of knowledge on the sensitivity of the conversations surrounding HK, Taiwan and Tibet to mainland China. i've been back to PRC numerous times, still have distant families there. they can show you around for good times, wild parties, and they would buy into American culture and products. but as soon as the conversation turns into those sensitive subjects, you can just sense the unity amongst them, no matter how they appear on the outside, deep down, if an outsider saying something about HK, TW or Tibet, it's like someone talking behind your back on one of your family members.

What about if an outsider says something about the areas where Uighurs or Uyghurs are? (Haven't read most of this thread btw)

1-3 million are in camps after a large number of terrorist attacks from 2010 to 2015. those attacks were mostly in their home province but spreaded to other areas including beijing and as far as southern china.

if a large number of terrorist attacks happened in america over a 5 year period, how many here would be wanting to put those people in camps?

try googling china terrorist 2013 and 2014

Not what I asked, but anyway thanks for informing me. You're right, that is insane. I didn't know it was up to 3 million people in camps, that's pretty evil, even considering China's huge population. Thanks for the info.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
focus wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

What about if an outsider says something about the areas where Uighurs or Uyghurs are? (Haven't read most of this thread btw)

1-3 million are in camps after a large number of terrorist attacks from 2010 to 2015. those attacks were mostly in their home province but spreaded to other areas including beijing and as far as southern china.

if a large number of terrorist attacks happened in america over a 5 year period, how many here would be wanting to put those people in camps?

try googling china terrorist 2013 and 2014

Not what I asked, but anyway thanks for informing me. You're right, that is insane. I didn't know it was up to 3 million people in camps, that's pretty evil, even considering China's huge population. Thanks for the info.

yes, i can see that you dont care about terrorism in china.
well people who have to spend time in china actually do care about that.
how convenient and efficient to see chinese kill chinese
4stargeneralbulldog
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject:

This thread reads like a CCP support thread.

And for people defending the Chinese communist party for concentration camps in detaining entire ethnic and religious groups.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject:

4stargeneralbulldog wrote:

And for people defending the Chinese communist party for concentration camps in detaining entire ethnic and religious groups.

gee, i wonder what happens over here if a minority group commits more than 15 terrorist attacks over a 5-10 year span. with hundreds killed and hundreds injured, what would people be clamoring for???

1 attack in beijing - equivalent to dc
numerous attacks in xinjiang - similar to something like arizona/new mexico
1 attack in yunnan - similar to something like maine
1 attack in guangzhou - similar in importance to chicago

i wonder who would be for camps and who would be for human rights
sounds like a lot of those wishing for chinese killing chinese would be clamoring for camps in the usa like the japanese in ww2...
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:00 pm    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:

gee, i wonder what happens over here if a minority group commits more than 15 terrorist attacks over a 5-10 year span. with hundreds killed and hundreds injured, what would people be clamoring for???

sounds like a lot of those wishing for chinese killing chinese would be clamoring for camps in the usa like the japanese in ww2...

This is a topic for The Political Thread, if you can endure it. I'll just say that this country has come closer to this than a lot of people would like to think, especially right after 9/11. We could be pushed over the edge.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:

This is a topic for The Political Thread, if you can endure it. I'll just say that this country has come closer to this than a lot of people would like to think, especially right after 9/11. We could be pushed over the edge.

thanks for the objectivity.
i am afraid to look into that thread and get sucked into it
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:09 pm    Post subject:

Seems to read like an episode of the Twilight Zone. Guess the fifty cent army is poised to pick up some extra overtime and social credits. This will probably have a shiny padlock soon.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject:

K2 wrote:

Seems to read like an episode of the Twilight Zone. Guess the fifty cent army is poised to pick up some extra overtime and social credits. This will probably have a shiny padlock soon.

oh so any chinese that argue against u WITH FACTS is part of the 50 cent army.
i understand now, that is because all chinese look alike and work in chinatown!

LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:58 pm    Post subject:

methdxman wrote:
But LeBron saying that Morey should be careful about how his comments affect other people. We know what this means. He's talking about his pocket book. As long as he admits that, that's fine and actually understandable.

That's not what it was, and I apologize that I can't say any more than that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:35 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
methdxman wrote:

I'd imagine the financial repercussions were on his mind as well, but I just assumed he was referring to the fact that the players were the ones who had to go in front of the media and had to go and play on the court, where they're vulnerable.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:38 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
methdxman wrote:

is there a gag order from the league to you guys?
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
methdxman wrote:

No, and not could there be. I was just told something in confidence, that's all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
governator wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
methdxman wrote:

No, and not could there be. I was just told something in confidence, that's all.

ok, and if you can't answer it, that's cool... was LeBron 'told' to say what he said?
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
governator wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
methdxman wrote:

Is this really Larry Coon? Is Larry Coon still alive?
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
governator wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
methdxman wrote:

its about players safety.
Lurker-no-mo'
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
methdxman wrote:

Thank you for this intriguing morsel. What's unsaid gives me the chills...
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject:

China gonna ask TNT to fire Shaq

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-50148450

Speaking on TNT Television's Inside the NBA show on Tuesday, O'Neal defended the Houston Rockets manager's tweet that ignited the dispute.

"Daryl Morey was right," he said.

"Whenever you see something wrong going on anywhere in the world, you should have the right to say 'That's not right' and that's what he did," O'Neal said.

"We as American people do a lot of business in China. And one of our best values here in America is free speech.

"We're allowed to say what we want to say and we're allowed to speak up about injustices, and that's just how it goes."

"And if people don't understand that, that's something that they have to deal with."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8
Jump to: