NY Post: Lakers Offered Odom For Frye
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: NY Post: Lakers Offered Odom For Frye

and were turned down.

Quote:
February 24, 2006 -- The Knicks made one last run at Blazers center Theo Ratliff yesterday and revisited talks with the Lakers for Lamar Odom.
But as expected, the Knicks did not make a move at yesterday's trading deadline, letting Wednesday's Steve Francis acquisition stand as their blockbuster move.

Coach Larry Brown has wanted a shot-blocker, but the Ratliff deal fell through yesterday because of Portland's insistence on rookie David Lee as part of the package.

"You don't make change for the sake of making change," Brown said. "We won't move a [young] guy to satisfy one of our short-term needs. We could've gotten a great defensive rebounder, shot-blocker, but it's what you have to give up."

Knicks president Isiah Thomas has lost faith that center Jerome James will live up to his $30 million contract as the team's shot-blocking presence, at least this season.

Thomas almost humiliated James yesterday when he said, "Everyone on our roster has value except maybe Jerome James because he's been injured so much."

The Knicks also fielded calls from the Sixers, who were willing to pawn off Lee Nailon (they ended up dealing Nailon to the Cavaliers for draft picks).

The Lakers sweetened their Odom package by adding other veterans, but the Knicks wouldn't part with Channing Frye.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject:

I don't know if I buy this. The NY Post isn't the most reliable and Isiah is infamous for "leaking" false rumors he wants to spread.
maddprophet
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject:

the post is a tabloid. garbage. don'y buy it, or anything owned by rupert murdoch for that manner. bad, bad man.
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject:

Wait! my bad! There is And1 now!
gmoney
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject:

The deal as stated would be impossible because their salaries don't match up.
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject:

added other Vets? I can actually believe that! Is Channing Frye all that? The Lakers would gut the roster for Channing? We need another rookie? That would just be a brilliant move wouldn't it?
kobe would be surrounded by nothing but rookies and about two vets. No, wait. This boneheaded idea would have to include George right?
So that would mean kobe would have McKie and Mihm to fall back on and that would be it.

And1, your dissapointed in that tabloid humor not taking place to aren't you?
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject:

At hoopshype right now every other rumor is from this tabloid! It's very funny. LOL. I bet the only people that fall for this is them damn Yankees in NY. They think everybody and their pet gerbil wants to play for them. LOL.
BossHossX
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject:

Yeah, and if we throw in Kobe, they MIGHT budge on including Curry in the deal.
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
I don't know if I buy this. The NY Post isn't the most reliable and Isiah is infamous for "leaking" false rumors he wants to spread.

I guess you have to take it for what it's worth, but I'm beginning to get the idea that Odom's "value" in the league is a lot less than some of biggest fans think - maybe the Laker organization too.

Just thinking back to the rumors involving LO we've heard:

The first one was last season when Sac offered up Peja for him. The Lakers turned them down.

During the off-season, the Pacers reportedly offered Artest for Odom, and we turned them down.

When Artest got suspended, the Lakers reportedly offered Odom for him, but were turned down. The rumor was that the Pacers wanted Bynum or no deal. Odom by himself? No. Odom with Bynum handcuffed to him? Yes.

And if you believe the Post (though I think there were other publications that went with this rumor) Odom (+ whoever) wasn't worth parting with a yet-to-be established (though promising) rookie.

Here's the link, but I think you might have to register to view it.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/62359.htm
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject:

And, then again since nobody was really privy to what really happened in any case it could all very well be a lot of bull (bleep) and that your opinion is just that.... Your opinion...

You can insert any players name you like into those same blanks and have a lot of fun with that stuff...
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject:

THE_SHOES wrote:
added other Vets? I can actually believe that! Is Channing Frye all that? The Lakers would gut the roster for Channing? We need another rookie? That would just be a brilliant move wouldn't it?
kobe would be surrounded by nothing but rookies and about two vets. No, wait. This boneheaded idea would have to include George right?
So that would mean kobe would have McKie and Mihm to fall back on and that would be it.

Well, when it comes to these rumors, I've no idea what's true or not.

What I find interesting, though, is the perception of LO's league-wide value.

My second post in this thread addressed it so I needn't expand upon it here.
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject:

earlier in the season...ny times reported, the knicks turned down a kg deal cause they didnt want to include Frye.
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject:

And 1 wrote:
THE_SHOES wrote:

Your second post expanded on the rumors spread around the league of which only one really came to be true. Steve Francis is in New York. This is why your opinion of LO's value is only as legit as the rumors surrounding him. That is all... Not a thing more...
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject:

KobeButler wrote:
earlier in the season...ny times reported, the knicks turned down a kg deal cause they didnt want to include Frye.

Again, the purpose of this post was not to confirm or deny the rumor.

Moreso, it was meant to raise the issue of Odom's straight-up trade value in the league (contract not-withstanding).

Would a GM give up a non-problematic All Star (one-time or perennial) for him?

If you give any credence to the reports that the Pacers refused a Odom/Artest deal because Andrew Bynum wasn't part of the package, then it follows that they believed that Odom, by himself, wasn't worth ridding themselves of their headache.
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject:

THE_SHOES wrote:
And 1 wrote:
THE_SHOES wrote:

Your second post expanded on the rumors spread around the league of which only one really came to be true. Steve Francis is in New York. This is why your opinion of LO's value is only as legit as the rumors surrounding him. That is all... Not a thing more...

So, you don't believe that the Lakers offered Odom for Artest then?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject:

frye is an average player who will never be great.

lamar showed us last night what he can do when he's aggressive. i dont know if i want him traded anymore. i can't believe i'm saying that.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject:

And 1 wrote:

[CLIPPED]

If you give any credence to the reports that the Pacers refused a Odom/Artest deal because Andrew Bynum wasn't part of the package, then it follows that they believed that Odom, by himself, wasn't worth ridding themselves of their headache.

Or it just goes to show that Indiana was trying to test the Lakers and fleece them if they could. If I was Indiana, I would do the same thing - see how desperate they were by trying to get them to throw in Bynum. They could make that demand to the Lakers knowing that Peja was a fall-back. I would also expect that since they drafted Granger in the summer, who has similar all-around skills to Odom, Odom was not as much of a need for them. The value of Peja went up in their eyes, because Granger/Odom would have been duplicate skills, but they really wanted a dead-eye shooter like Peja to play off of O'Neal - better fit for their offense. This doesn't speak to the league's overall valuation of Odom, more to Indiana's valuation of Odom based on their team needs.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: NY Post: Lakers Offered Odom For Frye

And 1 wrote:
and were turned down.

Quote:
February 24, 2006 -- The Knicks made one last run at Blazers center Theo Ratliff yesterday and revisited talks with the Lakers for Lamar Odom.
But as expected, the Knicks did not make a move at yesterday's trading deadline, letting Wednesday's Steve Francis acquisition stand as their blockbuster move.

Coach Larry Brown has wanted a shot-blocker, but the Ratliff deal fell through yesterday because of Portland's insistence on rookie David Lee as part of the package.

"You don't make change for the sake of making change," Brown said. "We won't move a [young] guy to satisfy one of our short-term needs. We could've gotten a great defensive rebounder, shot-blocker, but it's what you have to give up."

Knicks president Isiah Thomas has lost faith that center Jerome James will live up to his $30 million contract as the team's shot-blocking presence, at least this season.

Thomas almost humiliated James yesterday when he said, "Everyone on our roster has value except maybe Jerome James because he's been injured so much."

The Knicks also fielded calls from the Sixers, who were willing to pawn off Lee Nailon (they ended up dealing Nailon to the Cavaliers for draft picks).

The Lakers sweetened their Odom package by adding other veterans, but the Knicks wouldn't part with Channing Frye.

Yeah, sure and the Wolves were planning on taking Hardaway and Frye for KG in the summer, too.

New York is always full of the most rediculous crap, it's not even funny. The Lakers would have looked long and hard on an offer of Frye, Crawford and Robinson, but in the end, the Lakers want to use Odom to hit a home run on a serious baller. They're not going to give him up for some nice role players.

Let us not forget that there will be a lot of superstars on the market this summer, in a bidding frenzy previously unseen in the NBA. You think the Lakers would forego being a part of that for Channing Frye?

Last edited by LakerJam on Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
eldrunko714
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject:

Maybe Channing Frye was part of a bigger move. You know what I mean? Maybe they were stocking up for KG.
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject:

And 1 wrote:
THE_SHOES wrote:
And 1 wrote:
THE_SHOES wrote:

So, you don't believe that the Lakers offered Odom for Artest then?

Do you and, if so do you believe that after initially turning the Pacers down because of the alleged Bynum addition to the deal that they turned right around and went back to Indiana with a deal only to be turned down by Indiana?

This to me makes no sense. Who does Indiana have now after all of this is over? Peja...Quite frankly I'm sure they were looking at Peja the whole time. The Lakers want more than Artest for Odom or they would have taken the rumored exchange that you feel to be accurate...

Taking every rumor seriously and using that to evaluate a players worth just can't be used as a measure for any player...
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject:

eldrunko714 wrote:
Maybe Channing Frye was part of a bigger move. You know what I mean? Maybe they were stocking up for KG.

Put it this way. Getting rid of Odom's contract buys the Lakers caproom, faster, with an easier nucleus to work with.

Bryant, Frye, Bynum.

Most likely, the Lakers wanted Penny and Frye in return, with Penny being an expiring contract to go for capspace sooner. Odom would be back in his hometown at least.

Funny thing is, it would've benefitted the Knicks more. Francis and Marbury on the same team? Odom would love to distribute at the PF slot in the East.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
And 1 wrote:

[CLIPPED]

Or it just goes to show that Indiana was trying to test the Lakers and fleece them if they could. If I was Indiana, I would do the same thing - see how desperate they were by trying to get them to throw in Bynum. They could make that demand to the Lakers knowing that Peja was a fall-back.

Right. But at some point in time, don't you think that the Pacers said to themselves Eh, it doesn't look as though the Lakers are budging on Bynum. They'll only offer up Lamar. Which do you think is the better player for us - Odom or Peja? They went with Peja.

Quote:
I would also expect that since they drafted Granger in the summer, who has similar all-around skills to Odom, Odom was not as much of a need for them. The value of Peja went up in their eyes, because Granger/Odom would have been duplicate skills, but they really wanted a dead-eye shooter like Peja to play off of O'Neal - better fit for their offense. This doesn't speak to the league's overall valuation of Odom, more to Indiana's valuation of Odom based on their team needs.

Another good argument. I agree that Granger and Odom share the same skill set. Just as Mihm generally shares the same skill set as Jermaine O'Neal. But you wouldn't pass up on O'Neal just because you already had Mihm on your team, right? Right. The reason being is that, although they share the same skill set, O'Neal has demonstrated the ability to maximize his significantly better than Mihm.

Indiana would have had to use the same type of logic when evaluating Odom and Granger. Since Granger is but a rookie, the question would have to be Does Granger figure to maximize his skill set more than what Odom has shown (or will show) us? If the answer is no Granger takes a seat on the bench or becomes a valuable future trade commodity. But it seems as though the answer was yes - which leads me back to the issue of what Lamar's trade value (by himself) is in the league?

Care to opine?
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject:

I certainly don't. Your mind is made up on Odoms value...

Last edited by THE_SHOES on Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Does Granger figure to maximize his skill set more than what Odom has shown (or will show) us?

Yes, in the sense that I expect him to be a better scorer, rebounder, and defender down the line.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject:

eldrunko714 wrote:

Actually, I think it's the exact opposite. Channing Frye is a nice player, but he isn't held in the same regard around the league as Lamar Odom. People don't expect him to improve dramatically over what you see now. He's not a strong rebounder or assist man, he doesn't block a lot shots, he's a piss-poor defender.... You see, it doesn't matter that many here hate on Lamar, it only matters that GMs around the league drool over the guy. Thus, a package headed by Lamar Odom is far more compelling to teams than one headed by Channing Frye. With so many superstars coming available this summer, the Lakers absolutely needed to hold onto Lamar Odom to be part of the equation for any of those 5 guys. There aren't going to be THAT many teams making serious offers or being willing to offer up too much for these guys (teams having success, for example, aren't going to gut their team). I'm predicting about 7 teams to make a serious push with legit offers. We want to be one of them and we will be. Lamar gives us a true chance to compete.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: