Early Season Thoughts and Retrospectives
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:15 pm    Post subject:

For me the biggest problem was the situation with the boards.

Against Flippers or almost any other team we have to dominate on this part of the game. No excuse for that. We are just too tall and too big to have less boards than lets say Clippers. Its just not acceptable by any case.
BennyLava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:53 pm    Post subject:

The God Particle wrote:
From my point of view, the most obvious tell from last night's game was that Lebron has slowed down.

If there were ever a game where a rested Lebron was going set the tone for the season, remind the league who he is, and show himself as the best player in the league by grabbing the bull by the horns, this was it.... yet he couldn't do it.

Maybe Stu is right, Mr. Floor is undefeated!

I think you mean Father Time
The God Particle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:11 am    Post subject:

BennyLava wrote:
The God Particle wrote:
From my point of view, the most obvious tell from last night's game was that Lebron has slowed down.

If there were ever a game where a rested Lebron was going set the tone for the season, remind the league who he is, and show himself as the best player in the league by grabbing the bull by the horns, this was it.... yet he couldn't do it.

Of course I did!

Was just using another one of Stu's annoying catch phrases to make my point.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:18 am    Post subject:

Poor roster construction around AD/LeBron
HC concerns (if last game was the actual plan)

Once again, the basketball gods blessed us just like they had when we kept keeping our picks and even moving up in the draft and Jeanie found a way to have morons making the decisions. Getting AD was a must do deal. But after that, woof. So at this point, we're really banking on Iggy getting bought (our 3rd Memphis buyout being a key player) to kinda sorta fix our biggest weakness.

They should consider trading Caruso for whatever future pick they can and sign Justin Anderson. Kid can play monster D. If Iggy becomes available either Daniels or Boogie gets moved/waived.
The God Particle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject:

BennyLava wrote:
The God Particle wrote:

Of course I did!

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject:

The God Particle wrote:
BennyLava wrote:
The God Particle wrote:

Of course I did!

Well played
bfc1125roy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject:

I don't think starting Rondo will solve anything.

We can't have Rondo and McGee starting. There's no spacing in that lineup to allow any two man game between LeBron and AD - which is the core of our offense. Teams are already willing to help off McGee in that situation, though it does open him up for lobs sometimes, especially when teams blitz the PnR. But if we add Rondo on the perimeter, it's not going to work.

Really at this point, the ideal person is Caruso. But I'm not sure if he's ready to take on such a big role yet.
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject:

bfc1125roy wrote:

We can't have Rondo and McGee starting. There's no spacing in that lineup to allow any two man game between LeBron and AD - which is the core of our offense. Teams are already willing to help off McGee in that situation, though it does open him up for lobs sometimes, especially when teams blitz the PnR. But if we add Rondo on the perimeter, it's not going to work.

Really at this point, the ideal person is Caruso. But I'm not sure if he's ready to take on such a big role yet.

Caruso is not ready for the big lights, those highlights were just end of the year flukes. The ideal starting lineup is Rondo, Lebron, Kuzma AD, and Green.
As much as people have negativity towards Rondo that's because he did not fit Waltons system, and in this case he has chemistry with AD.
bfc1125roy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Stumpy25 wrote:
bfc1125roy wrote:

Caruso is not ready for the big lights, those highlights were just end of the year flukes. The ideal starting lineup is Rondo, Lebron, Kuzma AD, and Green.
As much as people have negativity towards Rondo that's because he did not fit Waltons system, and in this case he has chemistry with AD.

The problem with your proposed lineup is defense. With Kuzma, Rondo, and LeBron all being average to below average on that end, you're going to give up a lot of points.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
Lebron has sucked and always has sucked.

This is POTUS level crazy talk. Everything you say after this should be treated as waste of pixels.

We get it, you hate Lebron, you want everyone to know you hate him and your goal is to make these threads completely unbearable. Congrats.

man i dont hate him at all. I would LOVE for lebron to be as great as advertised and the lakers well on their way to another ring. when i say he brings the ball up and makes mistakes with bad passes, holding it too long for no reason, or bad shots...this is not hate, and that is what he does all the live long day. its very boring, its very bad for a team supposedly trying to win a ring, and thats all it is. i love good basketball, i love skills. those who accuse me of hating are the type to love stats. so what. all i know is that we have a pretty damn good team and for him to be in control of the ball from 24s to 10s on the clock is a bad idea. this is a very specific thing im talking about, no hate. that's over half the time on offense, lebron is dribbling the ball on the top of the key doing absolutely nothing to set up teammates or anything that will give us an advantage. what does give us an advantage is sticking a big brute like him closer to the basket, and having our smaller guys or kuz play the bring the ball up role.
Artesties
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject:

Artesties wrote:
I'm concerned about Davis and that he might be a stat stuffer that doesn't necessarily lead to winning basketball games. He's the type that does it his damage with ease and I'm curious to see the nasty in him.

Hopefully he doesn’t miss time with the ear lobe.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:13 am    Post subject:

They look like they're going to be a boring team. Nothing wrong with that because they're going to win a lot of games and that's all that matters. But it looks like their offense is going to be pretty slow and iso-heavy inbetween the Lebron/AD PnRs given the roster construction and Lebron's tendencies.

The excitement may come more on the defensive end under Vogel (not surprising) with AD and Green being legit fun to watch on that end, Bradley being a pest, Howard and McGee (if he gets unfunked) providing additional rim protection, and guys like Caruso and Dudley being smart team defenders. Throw in Lebron trying hard and even Rondo might not be able to screw up the team's defense as he switches everything rather than fight over screens.
bfc1125roy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject:

Better game from LeBron, but to be honest neither he nor the Lakers offense did much to alleviate my concerns. The Lakers defense stepped up, and the Jazz played us differently, and that led to a nice first win.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject:

blackmamba08 wrote:
For me the biggest problem was the situation with the boards.

Against Flippers or almost any other team we have to dominate on this part of the game. No excuse for that. We are just too tall and too big to have less boards than lets say Clippers. Its just not acceptable by any case.

There were a lot of long rebounds that just fell in the Clippers' laps. On one play Jamychal Green was running back on defense and the offensive rebound just bounced right to him. The smalls have to do a better job of chasing those down like they did against Utah. The bigs should be fine on interior rebounds.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Kobe_Is_King13
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:18 am    Post subject:

matrixskillz wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
The Clippers and The Rockets play with more juice than us. when talent is pretty similar and one team plays with more juice... I think that team usually wins the series.
We gotta do somethin

It starts at the top. Vogel doesn’t really inspire confidence and LeBron seems content to just make movies and tv shows.

You are either the greatest evaluator of talent ever for being able to discern everything about our strengths and weaknesses from 1 game against what's likely to be our toughest competition, or you're simply far too quick to make your judgements.

The Clippers have been playing together for a while and just dropped Kawhi into the Tobias Harris role. Not a really tough transition. We however have an entirely new roster, new system and still recovering from a transatlantic flight.

The gap won't be nearly as big by the end of the season as it is now in my opinion.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject:

bfc1125roy wrote:
Better game from LeBron, but to be honest neither he nor the Lakers offense did much to alleviate my concerns. The Lakers defense stepped up, and the Jazz played us differently, and that led to a nice first win.

The Jazz are a top 3 defensive team. Clippers are the best defensively. For the Lakers to put up what was going to be more than 100 points before Lebron and AD left without an offensive system in place and with AD's jumper not falling is very promising. Their offense will be installed during the year but it's bare bones right now.

Lakers had two of the top defensive teams to start with. The next 13 games are easier and will help the Lakers grow into their roles.
bfc1125roy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
bfc1125roy wrote:

The Jazz are a top 3 defensive team. Clippers are the best defensively. For the Lakers to put up what was going to be more than 100 points before Lebron and AD left without an offensive system in place and with AD's jumper not falling is very promising. Their offense will be installed during the year but it's bare bones right now.

Lakers had two of the top defensive teams to start with. The next 13 games are easier and will help the Lakers grow into their roles.

It’s not about the team’s respective defensive ratings, but rather the way they play defense. Jazz are good on that end because of Gobert, but that won’t be the case with many other teams.

Philly won’t mind switching Embiid or Horford onto LeBron, for example. Plenty of teams can pressure the perimeter more also. Caruso struggled in that role, and Rondo will probably cause more problems than he solves
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject:

bfc1125roy wrote:
drae wrote:
bfc1125roy wrote:

It’s not about the team’s respective defensive ratings, but rather the way they play defense. Jazz are good on that end because of Gobert, but that won’t be the case with many other teams.

Philly won’t mind switching Embiid or Horford onto LeBron, for example. Plenty of teams can pressure the perimeter more also. Caruso struggled in that role, and Rondo will probably cause more problems than he solves

The Jazz were switching, the Clippers even more so. There aren't plenty of teams that pressure more on the perimeter than either Clippers or Jazz. Caruso was great as 3 and D guy, not so good with the setting up of plays. One thing the Lakers didn't do against the Clippers was switch AD to the center, which will be done in a playoff game (not so much in the regular season to save AD's body). Lakers did that in the third and blew the Jazz away.
bfc1125roy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
bfc1125roy wrote:
drae wrote:
bfc1125roy wrote:

The Jazz were switching, the Clippers even more so. There aren't plenty of teams that pressure more on the perimeter than either Clippers or Jazz. Caruso was great as 3 and D guy, not so good with the setting up of plays. One thing the Lakers didn't do against the Clippers was switch AD to the center, which will be done in a playoff game (not so much in the regular season to save AD's body). Lakers did that in the third and blew the Jazz away.

Jazz switched but they don’t have the bigs to do that. My worry is that most teams have the bigs to stop LeBron. I thought LeBron could exploit those mismatches but he isn’t able to as much.

Perimeter pressure is another big issue we don’t yet have an answer for.
Gellollo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:01 pm    Post subject:

Clippers just lost to the Suns. Makes that first loss seem less significant now...
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:56 pm    Post subject:

Gellollo wrote:
Clippers just lost to the Suns. Makes that first loss seem less significant now...

Lakers had a ton of opportunities to win that game despite having almost no offensive system installed. With 4 months to mesh, Kuz back, being healthy going into the playoffs, and AD being more willing to spend time at the 5 in the playoffs and also having a jumper, I'd wager on us being able to take it to the Clippers even with PG returning.

But no point getting ahead of ourselves, have to reach the playoffs healthy and AD needs to find his jumper first.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:45 am    Post subject:

bfc1125roy wrote:
drae wrote:
bfc1125roy wrote:
drae wrote:
bfc1125roy wrote:

Jazz switched but they don’t have the bigs to do that. My worry is that most teams have the bigs to stop LeBron. I thought LeBron could exploit those mismatches but he isn’t able to as much.

Very true. LBJ is not as dominant as before but he is the only reliable shot creator we have on the perimeter.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:02 am    Post subject:

drae wrote:
bfc1125roy wrote:

No team is the best “Anything” 2 games in.
But they are both potentially top defenses, Certainly. So your point is still valid
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:04 am    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
bfc1125roy wrote:
drae wrote:
bfc1125roy wrote:
drae wrote:
bfc1125roy wrote:

Very true. LBJ is not as dominant as before but he is the only reliable shot creator we have on the perimeter.

This does not bode well ( to quote Lucille Bluth )
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:09 am    Post subject:

LaLaLakeShow wrote:
drae wrote:
bfc1125roy wrote:

No team is the best “Anything” 2 games in.
But they are both potentially top defenses, Certainly. So your point is still valid

The Jazz definitely aren't a scrub team. They wasted the Kings on the second night of a back to back after going hard against us ... although I can't decide if that's just the Jazz beasting or Walton being Walton
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: