NBA Coaching Challenge FAIL

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you think nba referees will correctly overturn coaching challenges?
Yes, they do a good job
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
No, they are inconsistent
76%
 76%  [ 10 ]
Maybe, they will in 4th quarters
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 13

nshid
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: NBA Coaching Challenge FAIL

A coaching challenge was raised by Vogel to appeal an offensive charge called on Anthony Davis at the 2:59 mark of the 2nd quarter. I saw the instant replay during the game and it showed that Anthony Davis wasn't given adequate space to land, with the offending player not set and foot under him. Maybe it could have been a no-call, but this seemed like an obvious fail on the part of the referees in overturning an incorrect call.

What do you think? Have you seen other games with obvious coaching challenge fails?

https://www.espn.com/nba/playbyplay?gameId=401160682

If anyone has the video, please post it.
realking24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: NBA Coaching Challenge FAIL

nshid wrote:
A coaching challenge was raised by Vogel to appeal an offensive charge called on Anthony Davis at the 2:59 mark of the 2nd quarter. I saw the instant replay during the game and it showed that Anthony Davis wasn't given adequate space to land, with the offending player not set and foot under him. Maybe it could have been a no-call, but this seemed like an obvious fail on the part of the referees in overturning an incorrect call.

What do you think? Have you seen other games with obvious coaching challenge fails?

I thought it was an obvious no call because he didn’t have a chance to land IMO but the refs didn’t see it that way
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject:

I saw them screwup a clear path foul in the NOLA/Houston game. They take forever to review the play and still can't even get it right. It's a waste of time.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject:

It's like the blue line. Even with video they'll stand by the call.
KBandKB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject:

Maybe I'm not familiar with the rules, but that's twice already where Vogel used his coaches challenge too early. Isn't it best to save it for the fourth quarter if the game is close?
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject:

KBandKB wrote:
Maybe I'm not familiar with the rules, but that's twice already where Vogel used his coaches challenge too early. Isn't it best to save it for the fourth quarter if the game is close?

One would think
nshid
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject:

LaLaLakeShow wrote:
KBandKB wrote:

One would think

I'm sure they will try to save them later in the season. I'm suspecting they are trying out the challenges anytime they see the opportunity just for testing sake.

Though said, it's moot fodder if the referees ignore video evidence.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject:

KBandKB wrote:

Depends. How much is an extra foul for AD worth? It's probably more important than a 4th quarter overturned turnover by a random guard.
crazylakerfan001
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:08 pm    Post subject:

Anybody see the Suns- Jazz game?

there should have been atleast 1 second left in the game, but the refs refused to go see the replay on the foul and coaches can't challenge in the last 2 minutes or about time so this rule is pointless.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:49 am    Post subject:

Thought they missed that call, but understand why they din’t overturn it.

I think challenging on foul calls is almost always pointless unless there was clearly zero contact. But there is almost always some contact so it won’t get overturned.

They should save the challenges for ball out of bounds situations, goaltends, etc. Things that are easier to overturn than contact type stuff.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: NBA Coaching Challenge FAIL

realking24 wrote:
nshid wrote:

I thought it was an obvious no call because he didn’t have a chance to land IMO but the refs didn’t see it that way

If he wasn’t given a chance to land, and I believed that to be the case, it wouldn’t be a no call would it? Wouldnt be a foul on the defender?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: