JAZZ -at- LAKERS – 10-25-19 - DIY Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:15 pm    Post subject: JAZZ -at- LAKERS – 10-25-19 - DIY Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

Sorry, LG...as mentioned, I couldn’t cover the game tonight. Wish I could because there were a few players whose impact didn’t show up in the box score.

Let’s hear your thoughts!

Also, if you have a moment, can I get some feedback on what you like, don’t like, read, don’t read in these recaps? Just want to see if there’s any preferences. Thanks!!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject:

We are at .500!
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject:

Here's just a few from me:

-Danny Green is even better as a defender than I originally thought (which was already high).

-Aggressive Lebron is the best for the Lakers. If he's in attack mode and making plays for himself and his teammates, we're going to be just fine. I know we're trying to integrate AD into the offense so I'll reserve judgement for now but I have a feeling the conclusion we're going to come to is that featuring AD 20 feet out simply isn't going to be a recipe for success...especially when you have the other guy as an option.

-I was yelling at Vogel at halftime. Impressed with his adjustments with getting another ball handler on the floor.

-KCP still sucks.

-Javalee's starting spot may be in jeopardy. Dwight thus far is keeping his off-season promise that it's the new Dwight this season.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject:

AD still can’t throw the ball into the ocean from the mid range, but his defense is amazing.

LeBron was dominant.

Green continued his inspired play.

McGee was MIA.

Bradley looks serviceable as a starter.

Howard the energy and defense crowd favorite!? I wasn’t a big fan of the signing but was fine with it since it was a low risk deal, and so far it’s paying off in spades. Props to Dwight, I hope he keeps it up and maintains the positive attitude.

Caruso with the big two! He wasn’t amazing, and his offense was negligible, but his defense with them was more than enough. I hope Vogel gives him more minutes with them.

Daniels knocking down the threes we needed and getting us some much needed offense off the bench.

Cook hasn’t been as good as I hoped, but still early.

KCP, please go away. Finally matched his jersey number in points on the season today. Yay?

Jazz had a Mike Conley who has bricked everything he’s shot, no matter how open, to start the season, and were missing a huge chunk of their offense in Bogdonavich, but I’ll take the win. Lakers clearly not clicking just yet and AD is only showing a fraction of his powers, so we have plenty of room to grow, especially once KUZ gets back. Nice easy stretch of games to build up the team chemistry coming up. We need to kill this stretch and get some mo.
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:19 pm    Post subject:

LeBron had a more typical LeBron game, AD has been struggling with shooting from the field. Troy Daniels was Troy Daniels, which was awesome. Get rid of KCP.
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:37 pm    Post subject:

LeBron very good night.

Troy Daniels we may have something here. With all the attention AD and LBJ attract.
George W Buss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:39 am    Post subject:

LeBron played like Kobe tonight. That was nice to see.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:53 am    Post subject:

With JaVale and D39 unable to effectively be an offensive threat or effective away from the paint to make elete centers be occupied so that LBJ/AD P&R can work with space, Lakers will have to develop counters besides having AD play the 5

Green, TD/Layup, Cook and Kuzma gives tangibel appearances that they are legitimate threats hence opening up the paint.

Caruso brings another ball-handler so that the Lakers are not predictable

LBJ was getting predictable, not a good sign for a PG
All_Star_Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:31 am    Post subject:

I hang on to every word. Love 100% of what your write. I live out on the East Coast now and watching these games past the first half is usually not realistic . These recaps are amazing. Thank you for all you’ve done!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:36 am    Post subject:

KCP is garbage

LeBron is still a beast when he wants to be

AD is learning how to play with these guys

Danny Green is as good as advertised. Maybe better

Caruso started shaky but then settled in and was excellent on defense and did a lot of little things that didn’t show up in the box score

Dwight actually looked pretty good.

McGee couldn’t handle Gobert

Our defense was smothering. The offense was rag tag plays. If we iron out the offense, it looks like a championship year.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:51 am    Post subject:

DB. Thanks for the recaps.
My fave part: the Emojis.
Also like the stats and summary of each player and coach.
Not sure the play by play is necessary. Seems like a lot of work
But I'll take it
Vadorojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:08 am    Post subject:

I appreciate the general summary of the game and the general impressions of the players' performances most of all. The emojis are fun.

The stats I can get from a box score, though I think the +/- is particularly interesting in context of your summary. The play-by-plays themselves (which are probably the most work) are the least important element to me. If I'm particularly keen to devour impressions for the game, I read them, but they're the first thing I ignore if I'm just skimming.

If I were looking for ways to cut your LG workload down, DB, I'd remove the play-by-plays.
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:31 am    Post subject:

Player +/-
Danny Green 14
Dwight Howard 12
LeBron James 9
Anthony Davis 8
Kostas Antetokounmpo 0
Alex Caruso -2
Avery Bradley -3
Troy Daniels -4
JaVale McGee -4
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope -5
Zach Norvell -6
Quinn Cook -9
Jared Dudley -15

Link

Season to date. About what I expected based on watching the games.
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:57 am    Post subject:

It’s a question of who will step up each night besides AD and Lebron. Daniels was probably that third guy tonight on offense. The defense was much better. Hopefully a returning Rondo and Kuzma will kick the bench into high gear.

I like all your information, I think if you wanted to, you could do less of each players plays, more of a synopsis of what they did well or didn’t do well. That would save you a ton of time and effort in the recaps.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:16 am    Post subject:

So... how y’all like AD at the 5? That’s when we pull away
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:03 am    Post subject:

-Best team D in a very long time. It helped that the Jazz have limited ball movement and not many guys who can nail the 3.
-Great ball movement on the offensive side.
-Lebron was a BEAST with his mid range game, post ups, and driving to the basket. He played great D and helped out on that side of the ball.
-Daniels is legit and the team knows it.
-AD still hasn't broken out on the offensive side of the ball but played great D.
He covered a ton of ground defensively. He played several minutes at the 5 and this is when we played our best.
-KCP is a hot mess and hopefully the experiment is over.
-DH was effective and a difference maker. Good D, runs hard, and is very strong. He seems fine with having limited chances on the offensive side of the ball. Made some great passes. McGee had zero impact in the first half and sat the second half. Frank may be more comfortable with DH.
-A Caruso sighting. Didn't hurt or help his cause.
-Played small ball and even super small ball (AD at the 5, LJ resting on the bench.
-Besides DH, we need Green and AB to keep their fouls in check. It seems the 3 of them get ticky tack fouls. They are our 3 best defenders aside of AD.
-Loved that Frank tried to keep minutes down. He recognized that we were never in real trouble.
ZenMaster2323
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:29 am    Post subject:

Hey DB -

I've been reading your summaries for what seems like 10 years now, even though I haven't had an actual account for that long

Absolutely LOVE your level of dedication to the game and appreciate the synopsis/analysis.

In a similar vein to many others here, I think the play-by-play for each player and the coach is the least valuable part. If I don't catch the game, I typically watch the highlights, which I'd assume most others do as well. We can see the play-by-play from those highlights for the most part, so I'm coming to these summaries for deeper insights and statistics. This is likely the most time consuming portion of your summary, so hopefully this would allow for you to save a bit of time, or focus that energy on higher value information.

One addition that would be awesome, if feasible, is which lineups were most effective for the Lakers against a given team. Which 5 guys on the floor had the highest +/- given a reasonable number of minutes.

Anyway, appreciate all that you do for this forum and team. Looking forward to your next official game summary
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject:

I've learned a ton about the game ever since I started coming to this site and reading your recaps. It's also helped me improve my own recall tremendously and I mentally make my own recaps while watching games now. I really appreciate when you randomly drop into other threads and offer insight, I wish you would drop more of those nuggets in your recaps. I've always wanted these threads to have more legs and be a place to discuss each player's habits and growth over the season but for whatever reason people treat this like a "read only" file. You're a gem bro
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
resgraph27
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject:

Vadorojo wrote:
I appreciate the general summary of the game and the general impressions of the players' performances most of all. The emojis are fun.

The stats I can get from a box score, though I think the +/- is particularly interesting in context of your summary. The play-by-plays themselves (which are probably the most work) are the least important element to me. If I'm particularly keen to devour impressions for the game, I read them, but they're the first thing I ignore if I'm just skimming.

If I were looking for ways to cut your LG workload down, DB, I'd remove the play-by-plays.

Same here DB. Everything Vadarojo says here is how I read your game posts. These parts are the most valuable to me, and I skim or don’t read the play by play.

The emojis are fun but also helpful. First thing I do is skim those to get an impression of who was bringing it and who was not.

Thanks for all you do.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject:

Lebron James He began the game out playing similar to the Clippers game, a bit too passive and not enough ball penetration. The Lakers offense suffered. They really need Lebron for penetration. There are 2 ways Lebron creates penetration. One is through his own dribble drives. The other way is to post up. In the second half, we saw Lebron do both. It began around the 2 minutes remaining mark in the first half, Lebron really did a great job attacking the basket. This carried into the second half. Some fantastic screen/roll action with AD in the second half. Alot of potential there. We see how deadly this combination could be. It's still very early but when Lebron has been in the post, it has been very good for us. Our offense needs to be a mixture of AD/Lebron screen/rolls and post ups too. We have a huge advantage in the post ups for both LBJ and AD. Defensively, another great effort from Lebron. Lebron finished the game with 32 points, 10 assists, 7 rebounds. 12-22 from the field. He was a +17.

Anthony Davis AD began the game off playing soft in the post. I found that he was fading away on his jumpers, and not really imposing himself in the paint on post ups the way he was in the Clipper game. He is still missing a lot of his jumpers. In the second half, AD picked his spots better and with the additional room he had as a 5, it made him utilze his guard skills more. We saw some really good screen/roll action with AD and Lebron. Defensively, AD was fantastic in this one. He defended multiple positions, and protected the basket very well. He defended Gobert, Green, Conley. It doesn't matter who you have out there, AD can defend him. AD finished the game with 21 points 7 boards 5 blocks on 7-17 shooting. He was a +5.

Danny Green We are really seeing why Danny Green was our main FA signing. He has been playing some fantastic D and makes his open looks if given room. This game was no different. He was fighting off screens very well. He and Avery set the ton defensively. It is a sight to see watching them play defense together. He finished the game with 9 points on 3-8 shooting (2-5 from 3) to go with 3 steals. He was a +7.

Avery Bradley Right now, this is our core. Lebron, AD, Green and Avery. Our 5th player can be dependent on match up. Like bringing in Caruso for McGee. Maybe Kuzma eventually. Or Dwight. AB's defense is outstanding. His effort sticks out. He is being disruptive, and fighting through screens. The Lakers offense wasn't working in the first. It was AB's and Green's defense that kept us in the game. He made a few jumpshots, and is a willing spot up shooter. Hopefully we will see him start to be more and more comfortable shooting a shot right away. Great two way game. He finished the game with 9 points, 2 steals, on 3-8 shooting. He was a -2.

Javale McGee Some nice highlight plays on defense, but so far McGee seems to be our weak link in the starting 5. He doesn't have enough impact on offense, and teams don't feel he is a threat inside. Perhaps we should target him on some plays, to get him going. I think McGee should be used more when there is a glaring mismatch in the paint such as in preseason with the Warriors. Otherwise we are probably better off with Dwight and using AD more at the 5. Replace McGee's minutes with some more guard help. McGee finished with 0 points, 4 boards on 0-1 shooting. He was a -4.

Dwight Howard Some important moments in the first half. Lakers were struggling on offense and Dwight kept them in it. He has a knack for the ball for rebounds and is setting good screens. His weakness is finishing plays right now. It was against Gobert, and a great defending Jazz team, but Howard once was able to finish a lot of plays he no longer seems to be able. Defensively, a good showing. Dwight's +/- rating is an indicative of how he is playing. He had Staples cheering for him with some of his energy and efforts under the basket. He is doing all the little things you want from a 5 in a supporting cast role. Just not finishing. We need our coaching staff to work with Dwight on finesse finishes. He can not throw down everything anymore. Dwight finished with 2 points, 7 boards, 2 steals, 2 blocks on 1-3 shooting. He was +13.

Troy Daniels This is the sort of game, where you see why Pelinka and Vogel wanted Troy. With injuries, and with teams playing aggressive defense on Lebron and AD, having Daniels ability to just shoot is an asset. Daniels effort on D was a bit better in this one too. Thus far, I feel Daniels has been a valuable backup, behind Danny Green. To me the SG rotation is set with Green and Daniels. Having 48 minutes of sniping like that, is what we need. Daniels made some shots that were created within the 5 out offense, not even with playing off AD or Lebron. More pleaseTD finished with 15 points on 5-9 shooting (4-8 from 3). He was a +9.

Quinn Cook Need a bit more IQ from Cook. He is maybe doing a bit more without Rondo. I would like to see Cook play more with the starters, as he would get more open opportunities. As a reserve, right now a lot of his PT is coming with the second unit and where he is taking on too much creating of his own. Would like to keep the plays more simple for Quinn. Get those 3 pointers off, and get a few shots off within the offense without too much dribbling. He is definitely more of a scorer than Caruso, but I would like to see him do a bit less. Defensively as well, I would like him to make a better effort. Daniels defensive effort looked better. He finished the game with 4 points on 2-8 shooting with 3 assists. Only took 1 three pointer and missed it. Want to see Cook take more 3 pointers, and less of those contested 2s.

Alex Caruso Nice to see the cameo. Good switch up by Frank, and thought Caruso played with good effort on D, was disruptive. The offense was just spaced better with him. However he is a non-factor as a scorer, and the core (AD-James-DG-Avery) have little chemistry with him on offense. He made some defensive switches, rotations and plays. Overall solid that he was able to come in like that and start the second. I think Cook, Daniels, Rondo, Bradley, Green. Should all play ahead of him. I don't see the minutes for Alex to be honest, but he is a nice player to have for moments like yesterday. He finished with 2 points on 1-3 shooting. He was a -2.

KCP Everytime he plays, I just remember that he is the link to AD and Lebron through Rich Paul. His effort is really there. I can't fault him at all for the effort. He is also trying to play within his role. However nothing is working for him. Can't wait for Kuzma to return so we don't need wing minutes at the 3. KCP needs to spend a few weeks just practicing catch and shoot 3s. If he does so, he may have a role on the team with as a 3nD guy. He finished with 1 point on 0-6 shooting with 2 steals.

Nice cameo from Jared Dudley. He does the little things well.

Frank Vogel Seems Frank finally found some depth to his offense. I like Vogel's defensive influence on the ball club. Love that he called a time out right away in the 1st Q when we allowed 2-3 layups or not contested shots. This is something that has been missing from the Lakers the last decade. We haven't had a guy that really knows what he wants to do. Frank on defense knows exactly what he wants in a team. It's the offense where we need to develop. The switch in the 2nd half to go with an additional guard instead of McGee was good. Frank said after the game he is tempted to use AD/Lebron as a 5/4 all the time, but doesn't know if AD would fare well (whether it is physically or foul trouble wise) full time at that spot. I agree. I think we will see Frank use McGee and Dwight more when we play teams we can beat up inside like the Warriors, and then when we face teams like the Clippers, Jazz etc who have the defense inside, we will begin to utilize more and more of AD at the 5.

Team stats

Lakers 95 points
Jazz 86 points

Lakers 34-86 FG on 39.5% shooting.
Lakers 8-26 from 3 pointers.
Lakers 42 rebounds.
Lakers 19 assists.
Lakers 14 turnovers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject:

LeBron - Looks much better when he's not bringing the ball up the court

Caruso - love the way the ball moved when he was in

Dwight - played great, but the guy has hands of stone at the moment. Hope that's rust.

Bench - Looks like we will get one scoring contributor per game. It's enough to win regular season games, but we need multiple players to step up to be a contender.

KCP - maybe in another 46 minutes he can get his first fieldgoal to add to his lofty point total.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject:

I missed the game traveling home from Houston. I enjoy the recaps, especially the numbers portion.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject:

To me it is still real obvious the entire squad is still lacking cohesiveness and continuity.

Simply put; they are not playing together!

They are not really running any/many plays and look like they are just out there "winging-it"...

Coach needs to make some defined plays and execute them!

How about some back-door plays to get KCP some easy baskets? How about more plays of AD and Lebron driving down the lane at the same time and the open guy taking the shot?

I'm hoping the Coach's plan is MORE than just to "wait until Rondo gets bacK"...

An ugly win may still be a win, but disorganization will only carry you so far...

Last edited by unleasHell on Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject:

Danny Green and Avery Bradley are very solid players. Great to have them on the team.

The LBJ/AD pick and roll is LETHAL. The Jazz couldn't stop it. When AD moved to the 5, to start the 3rd quarter, that's when we won the game.

AD was great on both sides. Gobert couldn't to anything against him.

McGee played like (bleep).

I have no words for KCP. It's just sad at this point.

Howard is a pleasant surprise. So far, so good. No need for that flagrant, though.

Troy Daniels can shoot. Natural sniper.

Dudley is a smart, savvy veteran. I like what he brings to the team.

And most importantly: LBJ took control of the game and carried us to the W. He's not washed, not at all.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject:

Vadorojo wrote:

I second that.

What I miss badly is the continuation of the ride of the four horsemen.
I still have visions of those "god damned leprechauns" being splattered all over the place. To the sound of some bells ringing somewhere.
Quote:
A blood red Sun lights up the horizon. Their opponent is here. The color just makes the Horsemen hungry for the kill, and they charge right into it.

But the old Gods are long gone. And the new ones have yet to grow. They have arrived, but the believers are not as many as it takes for the Gods to find their true form.
But we have fate. And fate will feed them.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: