JAZZ -at- LAKERS – 10-25-19 - DIY Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject:

BTW, I love the recaps and am grateful for your work doing them.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject:

I will echo what others say. I skim past the play by plays and am more interested in insights about how each player played. I do also like the plus minus ratings. I look forward to these summaries after every game and think you are awesome for posting them. Keep up the great work!
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject:

DB - I greatly appreciate your entire summary

It is understandable during the last 6+ years to read about the young players (often G League players because of the many injuries that the team has endured) not knowing and/or learning how to play Championship Basketball while under the glare/glory of LakerLand!!

With this team, along with the rare balance of power (especially in the Western Conference where every game will be FUN - good contrast to when every team’s goal is to beat the Warriors - any and all details on how we won or why we lost will be sought by everybody

Center
Need to have counters to when opposing team clog the paint by dropping the opposing 5s in the paint. If they are not a threat on offense, then they (JaVale/D39) are clogging the paint and making the AD/LBJ P&Rs limited in its success. This makes their impact on D of much more importance to limited the opposing team’s shooting percentage at the rim, backline D and rebounds to trigger the offense.

PG
If LBJ or anybody triggering the offense is very predictable, good teams like the Clippers will easily devise a defensive scheme to thwart the efforts of a team that was just put together - like the Lakers. Bad entry passes need to be limited and “Hockey Assists” need to be seen more (hey, just more assists that hopefully will average around 30 per game)

The Great Caruso
He is a player that might not get good stats but he is always impacting the game like past players like DFish. He is a player that opposing teams must be aware of on defense and offense because of his efficiency via recent history

Bradley
He is a player that played like Caruso but at a higher level in the past. His reputation, dedication and hard work has earned him the first opportunities

Cook/LayUp (TD)
They are the team’s dedicated snipers that hopefully play enough D to keep them on the court

Clippers Game
Hard played game that was lost is a good thing. Clippers (because most of their remain intact and they are very talented) quickly identified issues that need to be addressed while providing Vogel a great deal of ammunition to maintain the required focus to win a ring that will go through elite teams such as the Clippers/Rockets/Jazz/Trailblazers/76ers/Bucks
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject:

All_Star_Laker wrote:
KCP is garbage

LeBron is still a beast when he wants to be

AD is learning how to play with these guys

Danny Green is as good as advertised. Maybe better

Caruso started shaky but then settled in and was excellent on defense and did a lot of little things that didn’t show up in the box score

Dwight actually looked pretty good.

McGee couldn’t handle Gobert

Our defense was smothering. The offense was rag tag plays. If we iron out the offense, it looks like a championship year.

I was at the opener last night and I agree with your takes --- excellent & timely timeouts by the coach and excellent halftime adjustments. Caruso though he didn't fill the stat line was very disruptive on both sides of the ball. Utah had no answer for Bron as he looked like a man among boys, AD still adjusting to the style of play & the defense was relentless for much of the game.

On a side note -- Howard is earning his keep with his defense and hustle -- keep up Dwight..
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Team d looked good

AD doing well in almost all aspects of game except what is the deal with him doing fade-away jumpers from 15 feet out. He was much better when not iso and playing off another.

LBJ: set the tone. Was tremendous

Green: that’s the typical game he provides : a few solid points and good team D

Bradley: see Green

McGee: the defense was choking the Jazz with him and AD roaming, along with Howard too. Problem was offense got stuck at times. I’d rally like to see them try with the big man lineups having AD pull the big out and him initiate with his guard skills with the other big guy or LBJ versus LBJ doing it...curious to see if that would work better

We’re gonna see how good this team is over next couple weeks. There’s almost no reason they should not beat the next series of teams consecutively imo
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject:

Love your recaps, I probably don't read maybe 5? a season. Perhaps less.

Most of those I don't read the play by plays. I'm way more interested in reading what you think. I like the stats. I would be interested in what you think about how Vogel is doing.
Dragon76
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject:

DB, I’ve been a Laker fan for 40+ years, have been lurking on the board for years, and I created a login just to post and tell you great job and thanks for all of your recaps. I read most of them, but especially the ones where we win. You’re the best. I’ll go back to lurking now.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: JAZZ -at- LAKERS – 10-25-19 - DIY Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

DancingBarry wrote:
Sorry, LG...as mentioned, I couldn’t cover the game tonight. Wish I could because there were a few players whose impact didn’t show up in the box score.

Let’s hear your thoughts!

Also, if you have a moment, can I get some feedback on what you like, don’t like, read, don’t read in these recaps? Just want to see if there’s any preferences. Thanks!!

Personally, I enjoy when you throw in some personality and humor as you can be a pretty funny guy. Except when suspending me of course (I jest, I jest)

Keep up the good work DB!
JM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject:

I am usually interested in your insights more than recap, except at times when I’m trying to gain more insight into a particular players tendencies and development. I actually rely on your posts to augment my enjoyment of a season as it develops. Appreciate what you do.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject:

First off, great job with the recaps everyone. (Wolf - really digging the thoughtful and detailed posts this season...nice work on this one!)

Regarding all the great feedback - I think I will try to experiment a little with some tweaks in the process and see how that turns out. The play by play stuff does help inform the insight side of things, but it does take time throughout the game. If I curtail that and focus more time on the commentary, I might be able to go more in-depth there. I’ll play with it as the season goes along.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject:

Shaber wrote:

What I miss badly is the continuation of the ride of the four horsemen.
I still have visions of those "god damned leprechauns" being splattered all over the place. To the sound of some bells ringing somewhere.
Quote:
A blood red Sun lights up the horizon. Their opponent is here. The color just makes the Horsemen hungry for the kill, and they charge right into it.

But the old Gods are long gone. And the new ones have yet to grow. They have arrived, but the believers are not as many as it takes for the Gods to find their true form.
But we have fate. And fate will feed them.

Those were pretty epic. I was confident in those teams and the outcome, and they didn’t fail to deliver. I put probably another half hour per write up to create the tale of the Four Horsemen. I was debating dusting off the Yenko Nova if they signed Kawhi this offseason. We’ve got to thread a needle this season ... and it’s certainly possible ... but I want to see more from this team to get a feel for what their story line may be.
BROW GOAT 23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Lebron James He began the game out playing similar to the Clippers game, a bit too passive and not enough ball penetration. The Lakers offense suffered. They really need Lebron for penetration. There are 2 ways Lebron creates penetration. One is through his own dribble drives. The other way is to post up. In the second half, we saw Lebron do both. It began around the 2 minutes remaining mark in the first half, Lebron really did a great job attacking the basket. This carried into the second half. Some fantastic screen/roll action with AD in the second half. Alot of potential there. We see how deadly this combination could be. It's still very early but when Lebron has been in the post, it has been very good for us. Our offense needs to be a mixture of AD/Lebron screen/rolls and post ups too. We have a huge advantage in the post ups for both LBJ and AD. Defensively, another great effort from Lebron. Lebron finished the game with 32 points, 10 assists, 7 rebounds. 12-22 from the field. He was a +17.

Anthony Davis AD began the game off playing soft in the post. I found that he was fading away on his jumpers, and not really imposing himself in the paint on post ups the way he was in the Clipper game. He is still missing a lot of his jumpers. In the second half, AD picked his spots better and with the additional room he had as a 5, it made him utilze his guard skills more. We saw some really good screen/roll action with AD and Lebron. Defensively, AD was fantastic in this one. He defended multiple positions, and protected the basket very well. He defended Gobert, Green, Conley. It doesn't matter who you have out there, AD can defend him. AD finished the game with 21 points 7 boards 5 blocks on 7-17 shooting. He was a +5.

Danny Green We are really seeing why Danny Green was our main FA signing. He has been playing some fantastic D and makes his open looks if given room. This game was no different. He was fighting off screens very well. He and Avery set the ton defensively. It is a sight to see watching them play defense together. He finished the game with 9 points on 3-8 shooting (2-5 from 3) to go with 3 steals. He was a +7.

Avery Bradley Right now, this is our core. Lebron, AD, Green and Avery. Our 5th player can be dependent on match up. Like bringing in Caruso for McGee. Maybe Kuzma eventually. Or Dwight. AB's defense is outstanding. His effort sticks out. He is being disruptive, and fighting through screens. The Lakers offense wasn't working in the first. It was AB's and Green's defense that kept us in the game. He made a few jumpshots, and is a willing spot up shooter. Hopefully we will see him start to be more and more comfortable shooting a shot right away. Great two way game. He finished the game with 9 points, 2 steals, on 3-8 shooting. He was a -2.

Javale McGee Some nice highlight plays on defense, but so far McGee seems to be our weak link in the starting 5. He doesn't have enough impact on offense, and teams don't feel he is a threat inside. Perhaps we should target him on some plays, to get him going. I think McGee should be used more when there is a glaring mismatch in the paint such as in preseason with the Warriors. Otherwise we are probably better off with Dwight and using AD more at the 5. Replace McGee's minutes with some more guard help. McGee finished with 0 points, 4 boards on 0-1 shooting. He was a -4.

Dwight Howard Some important moments in the first half. Lakers were struggling on offense and Dwight kept them in it. He has a knack for the ball for rebounds and is setting good screens. His weakness is finishing plays right now. It was against Gobert, and a great defending Jazz team, but Howard once was able to finish a lot of plays he no longer seems to be able. Defensively, a good showing. Dwight's +/- rating is an indicative of how he is playing. He had Staples cheering for him with some of his energy and efforts under the basket. He is doing all the little things you want from a 5 in a supporting cast role. Just not finishing. We need our coaching staff to work with Dwight on finesse finishes. He can not throw down everything anymore. Dwight finished with 2 points, 7 boards, 2 steals, 2 blocks on 1-3 shooting. He was +13.

Troy Daniels This is the sort of game, where you see why Pelinka and Vogel wanted Troy. With injuries, and with teams playing aggressive defense on Lebron and AD, having Daniels ability to just shoot is an asset. Daniels effort on D was a bit better in this one too. Thus far, I feel Daniels has been a valuable backup, behind Danny Green. To me the SG rotation is set with Green and Daniels. Having 48 minutes of sniping like that, is what we need. Daniels made some shots that were created within the 5 out offense, not even with playing off AD or Lebron. More pleaseTD finished with 15 points on 5-9 shooting (4-8 from 3). He was a +9.

Quinn Cook Need a bit more IQ from Cook. He is maybe doing a bit more without Rondo. I would like to see Cook play more with the starters, as he would get more open opportunities. As a reserve, right now a lot of his PT is coming with the second unit and where he is taking on too much creating of his own. Would like to keep the plays more simple for Quinn. Get those 3 pointers off, and get a few shots off within the offense without too much dribbling. He is definitely more of a scorer than Caruso, but I would like to see him do a bit less. Defensively as well, I would like him to make a better effort. Daniels defensive effort looked better. He finished the game with 4 points on 2-8 shooting with 3 assists. Only took 1 three pointer and missed it. Want to see Cook take more 3 pointers, and less of those contested 2s.

Alex Caruso Nice to see the cameo. Good switch up by Frank, and thought Caruso played with good effort on D, was disruptive. The offense was just spaced better with him. However he is a non-factor as a scorer, and the core (AD-James-DG-Avery) have little chemistry with him on offense. He made some defensive switches, rotations and plays. Overall solid that he was able to come in like that and start the second. I think Cook, Daniels, Rondo, Bradley, Green. Should all play ahead of him. I don't see the minutes for Alex to be honest, but he is a nice player to have for moments like yesterday. He finished with 2 points on 1-3 shooting. He was a -2.

KCP Everytime he plays, I just remember that he is the link to AD and Lebron through Rich Paul. His effort is really there. I can't fault him at all for the effort. He is also trying to play within his role. However nothing is working for him. Can't wait for Kuzma to return so we don't need wing minutes at the 3. KCP needs to spend a few weeks just practicing catch and shoot 3s. If he does so, he may have a role on the team with as a 3nD guy. He finished with 1 point on 0-6 shooting with 2 steals.

Nice cameo from Jared Dudley. He does the little things well.

Frank Vogel Seems Frank finally found some depth to his offense. I like Vogel's defensive influence on the ball club. Love that he called a time out right away in the 1st Q when we allowed 2-3 layups or not contested shots. This is something that has been missing from the Lakers the last decade. We haven't had a guy that really knows what he wants to do. Frank on defense knows exactly what he wants in a team. It's the offense where we need to develop. The switch in the 2nd half to go with an additional guard instead of McGee was good. Frank said after the game he is tempted to use AD/Lebron as a 5/4 all the time, but doesn't know if AD would fare well (whether it is physically or foul trouble wise) full time at that spot. I agree. I think we will see Frank use McGee and Dwight more when we play teams we can beat up inside like the Warriors, and then when we face teams like the Clippers, Jazz etc who have the defense inside, we will begin to utilize more and more of AD at the 5.

Team stats

Lakers 95 points
Jazz 86 points

Lakers 34-86 FG on 39.5% shooting.
Lakers 8-26 from 3 pointers.
Lakers 42 rebounds.
Lakers 19 assists.
Lakers 14 turnovers.

Well done
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: