Laker Report: What You See is What You Get
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Laker Report: What You See is What You Get

Here's my latest:

link

Enjoy!
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject:

nice article eric.

obviously i was dissapointed yesterday when no move was made...however after watching the game last night i cheered up real fast.

we're not a great team right now...but the triangle was executed so well last night that it seems as if lamar (who is the key to our success right now) is starting to get it. we're getting more consistent play out of him and devean right now and if this play continues we could be the team nobody wants to play in the playoffs.
drew4lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject:

thanks for the update.

One of these days I'm sure you'd like to write and i'd like to read about an actual trade in our favor.
88MAGIC88
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject:

Nice. As usual. Thanks.
drew4lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject:

I truly hope they do see something that we don't.

I'd be glad to be wrong, but the lack of even a small move just added enough to finally put me on the side with those whose patience is on life support.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject:

job well done , once again, and our front office is god knows where, laying in some hole
Laker-Ryoku
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject:

Nice article. I think we would all love to be contending every year, but I also can understand how difficult that is to do. Very few moves seem to lead to a championship. You almost need some unexpected things to fall into place. Even with the Pistons, I never thought looking on paper that that team was destined to be at the top of the league. Maybe as our chemistry comes together we'll be pleasantly surprised.

And it's: If you can't be with the one you love, love the one YOU'RE with.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject:

d'oh
Scherm
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject:

Nice summation, Eric.

Now we'll watch and see, first how far this roster will go leading up to (and hopefully into) the playoffs.

Lamar and others may be getting past their initial blocks and experiencing an accelerated learning curve with the Triangle offense. And as last night showed, when it's run efficiently it can be a thing of beauty, even compensating for player weaknesses in some cases.

A good playoff showing would leave everyone with a better feeling about the summer and next year. I'm one of those who thinks that Mitch is going to try to pull off a deal that makes sense sooner, rather than later.

I agree with you that they need to look beyond just swinging for the fences on every transaction, because if Kobe has proven that he can win even with this supporting cast, what could he do with even a few more serviceable NBA-caliber teammates?
Laker_Leo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject:

Always enjoy your reads emplay. Great job once again.
raffi
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Under "Not That Bad" - second sentence = team's.

Good read as usual. The lack of return from the Shaq trade will continue to kill 'em.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject:

The thing that concerns me the most - and perhaps you can confirm or refute it, Eric - is that there are rumblings that a major part of the problem is that Mitch doesn't have autonomy to do his job. He can’t make decisions without Jim’s approval, and Jim and he often don’t agree. There's no definitive chain of command and even GMs calling the Lakers regarding possible deals, don't know who has authority. If that's indeed true, we’re in bigger trouble than we realize. How can Mitch, or any GM for that matter, establish a plan and build a team according to that plan, if they’re not given the freedom to do just that? When West was here, the Buss family didn’t interfere with any deals he may want to make. Jerry Buss did approve or reject spending on those deals, but he always let Jerry build his vision to fruition. Mitch doesn’t have that and as a result, we’re seeing inactivity because seemingly no one can agree. Personally, I’d like to see what Mitch can do if he’s just allowed to do it. However, if Jim Buss is feeling a little too self-important or knowledgeable despite the lack of experience, that concerns me.

I hope this isn’t true, but it’s exactly what Sean Deveney was reporting yesterday on the Dave Smith show - as per the perspective of GMs around the league. If so, we as fans need to let the Lakers know that we’re not having it. I don’t mind being patient towards a positive plan. I DO mind mediocrity caused over this type of nonsense. Either let Mitch do his job or cut him and let someone else do it, but don’t waste Kobe’s prime not agreeing on players who can help us.
iml84myd8s
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject:

Another great article. Right on the money!

Quote:
Going back to the departure of Jerry West, the Lakers have been in a steady decline.

Quote:
Wouldn't West have found a way to help resolve the personal issues between Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant? Wouldn't he have made sure that O'Neal felt comfortable with a reasonable extension to stay in LA?

Quote:
It seems a waste of Phil Jackson's tenure and Kobe Bryant's prime, but maybe the Laker organization knows something the rest of us just can't see.

Quote:
when you have one of the best players in the league on the roster and perhaps the best coach of all time the lottery should not be on the radar.

The first domino was Jerry Buss making Jerry West so miserable that he chose to leave the only franchise he ever loved.
BestDamnLakerFan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject:

Good article Eric.

You got me thinkg about the future we can't see. Why the three year deal for PJ? Could he have thought a certain all-star was on the way?
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject:

Any word emplay on the Lakers plans for Devean?
cital
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject:

So wy wouldn't we waive Slava and pick up Fizer or some other FA out there that could help out? Fizer has played in the triangle in Chicago, so maybe he could step in and help out.
F.N.G.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject:

If the Chicago Bulls waive Tim Thomas, wouldn't he be an option for Slava's spot? Curious about that possibility...
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject:

right now kobe bryant is whats covering up a mess of a front office in l.a, without kobe danzling the media and dumbfounding them with his play, u know that espn and all these writers would be crawling over the lakers front office.
VicsLakers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Laker Report: What You See is What You Get

emplay wrote:
Here's my latest:

link

Enjoy!

Nice articale.
This might be a very stupid question, but do you write on other than, hoopsworld? I thought ive seen your name on some LAtimes articales. as you can see im new here so sorry about the question.
raffi
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
The thing that concerns me the most - and perhaps you can confirm or refute it, Eric - is that there are rumblings that a major part of the problem is that Mitch doesn't have autonomy to do his job. He can’t make decisions without Jim’s approval, and Jim and he often don’t agree. There's no definitive chain of command and even GMs calling the Lakers regarding possible deals, don't know who has authority. If that's indeed true, we’re in bigger trouble than we realize. How can Mitch, or any GM for that matter, establish a plan and build a team according to that plan, if they’re not given the freedom to do just that? When West was here, the Buss family didn’t interfere with any deals he may want to make. Jerry Buss did approve or reject spending on those deals, but he always let Jerry build his vision to fruition. Mitch doesn’t have that and as a result, we’re seeing inactivity because seemingly no one can agree. Personally, I’d like to see what Mitch can do if he’s just allowed to do it. However, if Jim Buss is feeling a little too self-important or knowledgeable despite the lack of experience, that concerns me.

I hope this isn’t true, but it’s exactly what Sean Deveney was reporting yesterday on the Dave Smith show - as per the perspective of GMs around the league. If so, we as fans need to let the Lakers know that we’re not having it. I don’t mind being patient towards a positive plan. I DO mind mediocrity caused over this type of nonsense. Either let Mitch do his job or cut him and let someone else do it, but don’t waste Kobe’s prime not agreeing on players who can help us.

Solid post - my fear all along (and I'm encouraged that more of you are asking these questions) was that the FO was more damaged than we thought. I will continue to insist that the breakdown between Phil, Kobe and Shaq would not have taken place 10 years ago. Unfortunately, at some point during the 3-peat run, Dr. Buss (due to age, boredom, whatever) became an absentee owner, more interested in the bottom line, than the state of the franchise. With the younger Buss now in the mix, there is a chance they never get this right (at least during Kobe's career). There are a lot of reasons for concern.
ncaugnit
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject:

Great Article as always.
mm708
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject:

Emplay like always
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject:

I am a little confused by the state of the Lakers' finances. I have asked, and have been told, that because the Lakers did not trade the expiring contracts this year, all those players leave the Lakers without compensation. However, the Lakers are still over the cap this year, and won't be under the cap until summer 2007. But if they lose all these roster spots, and are over the cap, how do they field a complete team next year? I know they can use the MLE if they are over the cap, but how many players can you stretch that over?

And why couldn't the Lakers trade Slava for a 2nd round pick or something? I don't know if that would make sense for any other team unless they offloaded a bad contract onto the Lakers, something I am sure the Lakers wouldn't want.

And not that I care, but is there ANY team out there that would value Slava, or is he destined to go back to Ukraine and rot on borscht?

Based on your opinion, do you think the Lakers were close to any deals this week, but perhaps Jerry Buss' interest in Kevin Garnett this summer kept Mitch from going through with any of those trades?

Hey, if you are looking for editing help, I caught this one under the 2007 Plan section:

Quote:
Brown's third year year would mean the Lakers won't have cap room in 2007

And I am sure you wouldn't know the answer to this, but in interviews, particularly your article in Swish, Kobe has claimed no knowledge of the 2007 plan, that any questions about that should be directed towards Micth and the Buss family. Do you take him at face value on that, that he is in the complete hands of the management, or do you think someone of his caliber is in on the decision-making? How much say did Jordan have into who was brought in to Chicago?

One last question: now that the trade deadline is over, can you fill us in on any other rumors you heard floating around, and who might have been shipped from the Lakers? And you kept saying you thought the Lakers had a 35% chance of making a trade. Am I reading too much into that, or is 35% supposed to mean some sort of cryptic message?

Thanks for the article.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
When West was here, the Buss family didn’t interfere with any deals he may want to make

Ummm NO.

I rarely disagree with you LJ, but that is flat out wrong.

West has threatened to quit NUMEROUS times because of Buss. Buss drove West insane because he would make a decision and then not change his mind at all.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Glen Rice trade happenned because of Buss.

West is a genious. There's noway he would accept a trade that bad unless he was forced to trade Eddie by deadline.

Also, in Memphis JW has complete power. I have a read a few articles from the Memphis papers where they said that West loves the amount of power he has in that franchise (and it's what really enticed him) and that he always lacked that kind of stroke in LA

The difference may be that Mitch will not argue with Buss and is more facilitating while West was more confrontational and would actually argue with the old man.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject:

West didn't get his way in LA. He'd throw temper tantrums until he got his way, if he really thought it'd help. Which is where my concerns with Mitch are. He's too willing to give in to the Buss's. Kupchak says he wants to do one thing, Buss says no, Mitch gives up.

He has to learn to take a stand. Stop being such a pushover.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: