haha funny article about the worst Gm's in the nba-read.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: haha funny article about the worst Gm's in the nba-read.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060224

One of the the colums on mitch, still reading it

Simmons: Mitch, when you took over the Lakers, you had the best two players in the league and could have won 10 straight titles with the right moves. Instead, you couldn't get it done. Then you traded Shaq for 30 cents on the dollar; you gave cap-killing contracts to run-of-the-mill guys like Chris Mihm and Devean George; you blew all of your draft picks; you wasted the next three to four years of Kobe's prime by drafting a high school center over someone like Danny Granger, who could have helped right away; and then, you outdid yourself by trading Caron Butler and Chucky Atkins' useful expiring contract for Kwame Brown. But the Shaq-Kobe saga overshadowed everything; you haven't gotten enough credit for being a complete debacle. Does that bother you?

"Enough about Isiah, let's talk about me." (GM Mitch Kupchak)
Kupchak: I'd be lying if I said it didn't. When we made the Kwame trade, I was thinking to myself, "This is it, this is the one, now maybe people will start talking about me." Well, it didn't happen. Then the season starts, and Kwame's just a complete stiff … still, nothing. Then Phil [Jackson] goes on the record and calls Kwame a "p----." Nothing. People in Los Angeles just don't care. When you look at what I've done in L.A., it's amazing, really. I traded the best center in the history of basketball 19 months ago, and all we have to show for it is an unhappy Lamar Odom, Kwame and Brian Grant's eight-figure buyout. And yet, nobody mentions me. No offense, Isiah, but you don't realize how lucky you are -- when you screw up, everyone goes crazy. I built a team in which Smush Parker is our third-best player and the 10th-best guy on the Clippers would play 40 minutes a night for us -- yet does anyone ever talk about me? Of course not. It pisses me off.

Weisbrod: You know, I loved that trade, but I loved the Rafael Araujo pick even more.

Babcock: Thanks!

Weisbrod: Passing up Andre Iguodala for a 24 year-old center who averaged 0.1 blocks per game in college and runs like a duck … I just thought that was brilliant.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject:

This is a pretty funny article. Still reading it also.

Anybody read this LATimes article?
http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakerep24feb24,1,2386045.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-nba-lakers

It says that the last deadline deal was George Mcleoud for Joe Kleine. They must've forgot one of the biggest trades ever in Laker history Eddie Jones and Elden Campbell for Glen "I want to get paid for my lack of defense and not as consistent as before shooting" Rice, BJ "I'm retiring anyway" Armstrong and J.R. "I'm just a throw in" Reid.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject:

ya i know it hilarious, too many things too point, out i might add mitch only got bashed in that one part i posted their, it was mostly isiah,layden,weisbrod,babcock,mchale(lol) ,
Lakersfield
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject:

I am at work, I was laughing so hard in my office, I was worried that a boss would come by and think I am nots or something.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject:

Simmons: You learned that the hard way with the Tracy McGrady trade, right?

Weisbrod: I sure did. That ended up being your classic three quarters for a dollar trade -- we got Francis, Mobley and Cato for him, or as I liked to call it, "the pu pu platter." For the purposes of destroying a team, it worked fine. But I underestimated how much Orlando fans liked Tracy -- they were just furious with me, I ended up getting death threats and everything.

Layden: Cool!

Weisbrod: Yeah, apparently that was a first for the league.

(Crowd applauds.)

Thomas: That's why, as I said before, I like to float out rumors that we're "arming ourselves with assets" to make a run at guys we could never realistically get -- like KG, Kobe or LeBron -- because it gives our fans hope. They think we have a chance at those guys, when the teams that actually have a chance are the Bulls, Clippers, Hornets, Bobcats, Celtics or anyone else with valuable young players and multiple picks. You really think I could get KG this summer for Jalen's contract, Channing Frye, David Lee and a 2012 No. 1 pick? Come on.

McHale: You're doing it again, it's like you're deliberately testing me.

Thomas: Whoops, my bad.

McHale (hushes voice): Wait, Jalen, Frye, Lee and a 2012 pick … would that be an unprotected pick?

Simmons: Guys, guys, wait until after the summit.

King: I'm also a big fan of giving out absurd contracts that tie up your cap space, for three reasons. First, it drives the fans crazy and gets them talking about the team. Second, your fans won't complain that you aren't making any big moves, simply because you can't make any big moves, your lack of cap space prohibits you from getting quality guys unless they have baggage. And third, when people look back and try to put your reign in some sort of historical context, those salary numbers will jump out even more.

Just look at what I've done in Philly: Since we made the 2001 Finals, I gave Mutombo a $68 million extension even though he could have been, like, 48 years old for all we knew. I gave $35.5 million to Aaron McKie. I gave $29 million to Eric Snow. I gave $18 million to Greg Buckner. I gave $40 million to Kenny Thomas and $25 million to Brian Skinner. I gave $25 million to Kyle Korver and $60 million to Sam Dalembert last summer. That's $300 million of contracts to guys who were either on the decline or never that good in the first place. Plus, I traded for other bad contracts, guys like Keith Van Horn, Glenn Robinson, Kevin Ollie, you name it. And then, last February, the pinnacle -- dumping three bad contracts for C-Webb, who everyone thought couldn't be traded because of his contract and because he ran with a limp. Now we have an aging team built around two past-their-prime stars and our cap space is killed through 2008. And we completely wasted Iverson's prime, when he was one of the best players of his generation.

Babcock: I couldn't agree more. That's the single-biggest mistake I made with the Araujo pick. In retrospect, I should have taken Igoudala, kept him for a year, then traded him last summer for Joel Przybilla and immediately given him an $85 million contract extension. Oh, well. You live and you learn.

McHale: I'm kicking myself right now … I wish someone had told me this before I drafted Ndudi Ebi and William Avery!

Simmons: Kevin, let's talk about the Joe Smith debacle. What delighted me wasn't how you lost the picks, but that you were ready to give a max contract to the likes of Joe Smith. Does it hurt your feelings that nobody remembers how dumb this was?

McHale: Of course, of course. At the time, Joe was a guy who gave you 13 points and eight rebounds a game -- solid, but not spectacular. We were willing to pay him twice as much as he was worth, we cheated, we got caught, we lost all those picks … and you never hear this mentioned. If we were a big-market team? Different story

God and we wonder y jerry doesnt give mitch power to sign of on trades, look a billy king

(Everyone laughs
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Simmons: Mitch, when you took over the Lakers, you had the best two players in the league and could have won 10 straight titles with the right moves. Instead, you couldn't get it done. Then you traded Shaq for 30 cents on the dollar; you gave cap-killing contracts to run-of-the-mill guys like Chris Mihm and Devean George; you blew all of your draft picks; you wasted the next three to four years of Kobe's prime by drafting a high school center over someone like Danny Granger, who could have helped right away; and then, you outdid yourself by trading Caron Butler and Chucky Atkins' useful expiring contract for Kwame Brown. But the Shaq-Kobe saga overshadowed everything; you haven't gotten enough credit for being a complete debacle. Does that bother you?

I don't see any humor in this... All of what happened in this quote is not directly traceable to Mitch Kupchak either.

Maybe I should read the rest to see what is so funny...
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
J.R. "I'm just a throw in" Reid.

This guy actually had a few big minutes for us initially.

I think it was when Horry was out with the heart thing and he was our only real PF.

That was disgusting. If ever there was a time where our PF situation was worse than it is now - It was then.

Cook >>>> Reid.

Jerry West must have been forced to make that trade, because I don't know what the hell he was thinking doing it ...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Must.........ignore.........Simmons.........hate...........

.........Kobe demands it...............Simmons......................biggest

.................Kobe hater...........................................ever...............

Aww hell I'll read it
Aloha
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject:

Ok---- Im so glad Isiah isn't our GM...
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject:

THE_SHOES wrote:
Quote:

I don't see any humor in this... All of what happened in this quote is not directly traceable to Mitch Kupchak either.

Maybe I should read the rest to see what is so funny...

well then buddy , if u dont like humor dont read it.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject:

It's tongue-in-cheek or sarcastic humour. GM's having a meeting, stating how they tried to be so bad; as if no one could be that dumb to make the bad trades and drafts.

Maybe though, sinc Elgin got locked out, because of his rescent good trades, Mitch will call down the hall for a little help.
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject:

Simmons is a top-5 Kobe hater nation-wide.

But he's a funny read sometimes.

This article is pretty much a take-off of Chappelle's "Hater's Ball."

Good stuff though, I liked it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: