Official General 2020 NBA Draft Talk Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 01 Jul 2017
Posts: 2048

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
I don't see much difference between Isaiah Stewart and Vernon Carey besides right vs. left. However the draft pundits seem to favor Stewart by 10-15 draft slots.

As listed Carey does appear taller with Stewart having the better wing span. Stewart has shown better rim protection with Carey having a more refined offensive game.

I feel Stewart projects better long term and would draft over Carey.

One big who has shown out for me is Jalen Smith of Maryland. Tall, long and appears to be bigger and stronger than last year. What impressed me is he works hard blocking out for rebounds and rotating/challenging shots. Would draft over Stewart or Carey.


Is Jalen Smith still getting pushed around?


No. Held his own against Notre Dame bigs especially Mooney.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 38962
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
SportsCenter
@SportsCenter

Breaking: North Carolina freshman PG Cole Anthony is out indefinitely due to a right knee injury and won't play Sunday vs. Wofford.

3:50 PM · Dec 15, 2019
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 38962
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject:

James Wiseman leaves Memphis, to enter NBA draft

Quote:
Wiseman, who has missed the past seven games due to a 12-game suspension stemming from an NCAA investigation and was set to return at South Florida on Jan. 12, announced on Instagram on Thursday that he will leave the program, hire an agent and prepare for the 2020 NBA draft.


LINK
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 23917

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject:

Some interesting comments from Ethan Strauss in The Athletic:

Quote:
Everyone hates this draft

“Mess” is the most common description you hear from basketball operations types when it comes to the 2020 draft. Maybe it isn’t a “weak” draft, necessarily. Notable drafts have been considered “weak” before turning out unexpected superstars (2009 is a good example of this). What is certain about this draft, though, is its uncertainty. If you have a top pick, you aren’t necessarily pumping your fist about it.

I’m reminded of something Warriors executive Jonnie West said on draft night this year: “Every team has the same guy at No. 1 on their draft board and if you don’t you’re a (bleep) idiot.” Obviously, he was referring to Zion Williamson, whose season has been halted by injury but whose talent and impact was undeniable in the preseason. In contrast, the 2020 draft lacks a clear no-brainer pick and remains pretty vague all the way through.

There is no real separation near the top or anywhere else. Right now, it seems like Anthony Edwards might be that No. 1 guy, but before it was LaMelo Ball and before that, James Wiseman. The latter two probably won’t play competitive basketball again until they’re drafted. So good luck to teams sorting all that out.

As many of the executives shuffled off to watch Kentucky vs. Ohio State, I thought of Kentucky sophomore point guard Ashton Hagans as an example of this draft’s vagaries. Hagans, who is large (at 6-foot-3) and could be the best defensive guard in college, is currently listed outside the first two rounds on most draft boards. There are reasons for this. Principally, he has a bendy-elbow shot form that hasn’t led to much success behind the arc. Still, Hagans has managed to score rather efficiently (60 percent true shooting) in addition to averaging more than seven assists per game. Overall, he has an impressive statistical profile at a power program.

Ball could realize his superstar potential, but I also would not be shocked if Hagans emerges from this draft as a better NBA player. Ball is tall and talented but managed a dismal 46.4 percent true shooting percentage in Australia’s less than athletic NBL. Despite this, LaMelo has been ranked as the top pick on some draft boards.

Really, that’s the 2020 draft for you right now. The confidence you have in a top-5 pick working out exceeds the confidence you might have in an undrafted player, but not by a lot. Teams know this and are operating accordingly. This draft would appear to have NFL-level unpredictability. Right now, it’s like the entire league is looking to trade down.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 26 Apr 2017
Posts: 2066

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:45 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Hey adkindo, any thoughts on the content from http://www.nbadraftroom.com/ ? One of the draft sites I prefer.


That’s where I primarily go. They’ve done really good the last couple years and have much more tempered expectations in regards to player comps. Usually pretty good write ups on the players pros and cons.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 26 Apr 2017
Posts: 2066

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject:

Scottie Lewis is the guy I really wanna see fall to our first. Motor for days. Intangibles, athletic, and really loves grinding on D. Reminds me of a D-Wade lite. Could really end up a steal if properly developed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 01 Jul 2017
Posts: 2048

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:23 am    Post subject:

A player who has grown on me is John Petty of Alabama. Reminds me of a Josh Richardson/Jordan Mcrae type of athlete and scorer with possibly a better 3pt stroke.

What I like is he still has upside as he is not constrained by being a marginal average athlete.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 01 Jul 2017
Posts: 2048

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:31 am    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
Scottie Lewis is the guy I really wanna see fall to our first. Motor for days. Intangibles, athletic, and really loves grinding on D. Reminds me of a D-Wade lite. Could really end up a steal if properly developed.


I wonder if the the Lakers will lean towards more developed/polished players or raw pure athletes with higher upside (i.e. Lewis).

A similar player as Lewis but more of a true wing is Isaac Okoro. However I don't see Okoro lasting to the Lakers pick.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 01 Jul 2017
Posts: 2048

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:58 am    Post subject:

My top 5 in order of preference.

LaMelo Ball - potentially a 20ppg/10ast player
Anthony Edwards - 25ppg scorer
Cole Anthony - can have Trae Young type impact at PG.
James Wiseman - can be the best C in the league in a few years
Jaden McDaniels - maybe a better comp to KD than BI. such a dynamic scorer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Mike@LG
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 10 Apr 2001
Posts: 62493
Location: Orange County, CA

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:12 pm    Post subject:

Anthony Edwards
LaMelo Ball
Killian Hayes
Onekya Owongku
Nico Mannion/Tyrese Maxey
_________________
Resident Car Nut.

LeBron/Bradley/Caruso/Cook/Rondo
Green/KCP
Kuzma/Daniels
Davis/Dudley
McGee/D39

http://bball-index.com/team/lal/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
kikanga
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 24362
Location: La La Land

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject:

Why do the ball boys have such funky shooting mechanics? Seems so strange to me.
_________________
“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.” - Heraclitus
Playoff time! https://media.giphy.com/media/iibEPf8xEDTedJcDJr/giphy.gif
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 01 Jul 2017
Posts: 2048

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Why do the ball boys have such funky shooting mechanics? Seems so strange to me.


Short answer Lavar was their coach growing up.

Long answer follows and is just my opinion.

As youngsters without strength they adopt a form that allows them to be able to reach the basket. Lavar never saw a need to change or teach his son's proper shooting technique. Of the 3 brothers LiAngelo's form is basic and conventional and he was the brother with probably enough strength to shoot in this manner. LaMelo's shot appears as an offshoot of a 2 handed set shot. According to his high school coach Lonzo used to have a conventional shooting form but changed to that ugly mess.

There was an interview with Lavar awhile back where he was questioned on Lonzo's shot mechanics. Just going by memory he saw no reason to change it as he has been successful all this time and felt Lonzo would eventually succeed in the NBA.

However I do want to say whether it was Lavar's intent or not but allowing his son's to freelance on the court all those years their skills developed to allow 2 brothers to reach touted prospect status. Under different circumstances I question if this would have occurred.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 01 Jul 2017
Posts: 2048

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject:

My 6-10 prospects in no particular order.

Onyeka Okongwu - my comp to Bam Adebayo
Isaac Okoro - with his defense and intensity he is the wing the Lakers need
Tyrese Maxey - his game has a mix of Rose and Coby White
Nico Mannion - starting PG for 12 years
Killian Hayes - has LaMelo type skills
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 27844

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject:

So we're all aboard the Xavier Tillman train, right?
_________________
https://youtube.com/watch?v=t3jKtjgRZQY
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 01 Jul 2017
Posts: 2048

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
So we're all aboard the Xavier Tillman train, right?


Good to see you post. Will watch out for him in the next televised Michigan State game.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Mike@LG
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 10 Apr 2001
Posts: 62493
Location: Orange County, CA

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
My 6-10 prospects in no particular order.

Onyeka Okongwu - my comp to Bam Adebayo
Isaac Okoro - with his defense and intensity he is the wing the Lakers need
Tyrese Maxey - his game has a mix of Rose and Coby White
Nico Mannion - starting PG for 12 years
Killian Hayes - has LaMelo type skills


I was thinking more along the lines of

Okongwu - as some tier between JJJ and Adebayo
Okoro - different version of Okeke
Maxey - Bobby Jackson, slightly better PG ability, skills usually hidden
Mannion - Goran Dragic with pull up shooting, less adept at finishing
Hayes - A weird version of DLO
_________________
Resident Car Nut.

LeBron/Bradley/Caruso/Cook/Rondo
Green/KCP
Kuzma/Daniels
Davis/Dudley
McGee/D39

http://bball-index.com/team/lal/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Mike@LG
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 10 Apr 2001
Posts: 62493
Location: Orange County, CA

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
So we're all aboard the Xavier Tillman train, right?


Am I missing anything outside of touch and high post play?
_________________
Resident Car Nut.

LeBron/Bradley/Caruso/Cook/Rondo
Green/KCP
Kuzma/Daniels
Davis/Dudley
McGee/D39

http://bball-index.com/team/lal/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 01 Jul 2017
Posts: 2048

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:14 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
My 6-10 prospects in no particular order.

Onyeka Okongwu - my comp to Bam Adebayo
Isaac Okoro - with his defense and intensity he is the wing the Lakers need
Tyrese Maxey - his game has a mix of Rose and Coby White
Nico Mannion - starting PG for 12 years
Killian Hayes - has LaMelo type skills


I was thinking more along the lines of

Okongwu - as some tier between JJJ and Adebayo
Okoro - different version of Okeke
Maxey - Bobby Jackson, slightly better PG ability, skills usually hidden
Mannion - Goran Dragic with pull up shooting, less adept at finishing
Hayes - A weird version of DLO


Okongwu - I can see this although I feel he is closer to Adebayo than JJJ in skill and potential.
Okoro - I projected Okeke as a PF and Okoro at SF. Okeke better on offense and Okoro defense.
Maxey - Bobby Jackson that's a name from the past and probably a better comp. I am wary Calipari is suppressing the true potential of Maxey's skill level.
Mannion - yes I noticed he hasn't flashed much as a finisher.. I see Mannion as a true PG with the ability to score and Dragic as a combo guard.
Hayes - Feel Hayes is more PG with offensive skills while DLO is more SG with passing skills.

Btw any thoughts on Kira Jones Jr PG from Alabama? Really nice handles and probably the fastest/quickest guard I have seen since De'Aaron Fox.

Him and John Petty would be nice late 1st early 2nd picks for me.


Last edited by PlantedTanks on Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 01 Jul 2017
Posts: 2048

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
So we're all aboard the Xavier Tillman train, right?


Am I missing anything outside of touch and high post play?


Looks really long. Need to catch a game but looks to battle defensively in the paint. Is a Mike Scott comparison stretching it?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 27844

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
So we're all aboard the Xavier Tillman train, right?


Am I missing anything outside of touch and high post play?

Defensive feel in space and passing instincts. There's a low athlete Al Horford in there somewhere.
_________________
https://youtube.com/watch?v=t3jKtjgRZQY
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 11 Oct 2012
Posts: 32767

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Other than Edwards and Ball, I'm betting on Okoro. Edwards has superstar separation athleticism - haven't seen it to that level in college in years. Okoro is also a much better athlete than a Culver, while having Jimmy Bulter like upside skills and defensive talent/makeup.
Of course I'm the guy who's gunna be low on Okongwu..
I like Maxey
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 01 Jul 2017
Posts: 2048

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:30 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
So we're all aboard the Xavier Tillman train, right?


Am I missing anything outside of touch and high post play?

Defensive feel in space and passing instincts. There's a low athlete Al Horford in there somewhere.


From the Wisconsin game he appears only capable of playing center. He is strong with good length, plays hard and yes with defensive feel and may fit in as a Draymond Green or Montrezl Harrell type player.

I am a Harrell fan.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 01 Jul 2017
Posts: 2048

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:02 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Other than Edwards and Ball, I'm betting on Okoro. Edwards has superstar separation athleticism - haven't seen it to that level in college in years. Okoro is also a much better athlete than a Culver, while having Jimmy Bulter like upside skills and defensive talent/makeup.
Of course I'm the guy who's gunna be low on Okongwu..
I like Maxey


Yes I would also bet on Okoro.

I just could never get around on Culver. Not sure what it is. I guess I never saw anything that made me go wow that was nice.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 11 Oct 2012
Posts: 32767

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Other than Edwards and Ball, I'm betting on Okoro. Edwards has superstar separation athleticism - haven't seen it to that level in college in years. Okoro is also a much better athlete than a Culver, while having Jimmy Bulter like upside skills and defensive talent/makeup.
Of course I'm the guy who's gunna be low on Okongwu..
I like Maxey


Yes I would also bet on Okoro.

I just could never get around on Culver. Not sure what it is. I guess I never saw anything that made me go wow that was nice.


I don't blame you.. it was just such a weak 2nd tier of draft class, that a guy who is just solid, was actually a top 4 consideration.. like this is a weak draft class, but from what I've seen, Anthony Edwards is still a lot better prospect than RJ Barrett..much better athlete and functional shot creator , he would be alone in tier 3 last year after Morant...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Mike@LG
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 10 Apr 2001
Posts: 62493
Location: Orange County, CA

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:55 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
My 6-10 prospects in no particular order.

Onyeka Okongwu - my comp to Bam Adebayo
Isaac Okoro - with his defense and intensity he is the wing the Lakers need
Tyrese Maxey - his game has a mix of Rose and Coby White
Nico Mannion - starting PG for 12 years
Killian Hayes - has LaMelo type skills


I was thinking more along the lines of

Okongwu - as some tier between JJJ and Adebayo
Okoro - different version of Okeke
Maxey - Bobby Jackson, slightly better PG ability, skills usually hidden
Mannion - Goran Dragic with pull up shooting, less adept at finishing
Hayes - A weird version of DLO


Okongwu - I can see this although I feel he is closer to Adebayo than JJJ in skill and potential.
Okoro - I projected Okeke as a PF and Okoro at SF. Okeke better on offense and Okoro defense.
Maxey - Bobby Jackson that's a name from the past and probably a better comp. I am wary Calipari is suppressing the true potential of Maxey's skill level.
Mannion - yes I noticed he hasn't flashed much as a finisher.. I see Mannion as a true PG with the ability to score and Dragic as a combo guard.
Hayes - Feel Hayes is more PG with offensive skills while DLO is more SG with passing skills.

Btw any thoughts on Kira Jones Jr PG from Alabama? Really nice handles and probably the fastest/quickest guard I have seen since De'Aaron Fox.

Him and John Petty would be nice late 1st early 2nd picks for me.


Kira Lewis reminds me of a PG that gets underrated despite clearly evident ability to attack the hoop. Needs some PG development, TOs high, has the FT% to indicate shooting down the line but average 3pt shooting.. needs better FTr, sub average assist rate...
_________________
Resident Car Nut.

LeBron/Bradley/Caruso/Cook/Rondo
Green/KCP
Kuzma/Daniels
Davis/Dudley
McGee/D39

http://bball-index.com/team/lal/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 4 of 16
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB