Derrick Rose to the Lakers?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
logical24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject: Derrick Rose to the Lakers?

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-derrick-rose-more-likely-180645307.html

Rumors heating up again what do you guys think?
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:30 am    Post subject:

I like him if we trade our depth away for CP3.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject:

Pass on him until the buyout market.

Waiters put up like 12 ppg in the bubble. Rose is more dynamic and will definitely help us more in the regular season. But in the playoff with Lebron and Rondo running everything. Rose gonna have to outdo KCP and Caruso defensively to get into our rotation . I don’t think he’s that type to all the little things . His defensive shortcomings a will not offset whatever he can bring offensively. He’ll be like Waiters buttshifting.

So it’s not worth to lose an asset. Just like Waiters, wait until he get a buyout.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:57 am    Post subject:

Theseus wrote:

Never trade for CP3 and that contact. Lakers should only go after CP3 if the Thunder buy him out and we can sign him for what we can afford. Otherwise, sadly CP3 will be stuck in OKC with that contract.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject:

Pass.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:10 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Theseus wrote:

Never trade for CP3 and that contact. Lakers should only go after CP3 if the Thunder buy him out and we can sign him for what we can afford. Otherwise, sadly CP3 will be stuck in OKC with that contract.

OKC will be able to trade him this offseason. Just not on our team because we have little to offer. I’ll be more surprised if he still at OKC by next season.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Derrick Rose to the Lakers?

logical24 wrote:
https://sports.yahoo.com/report-derrick-rose-more-likely-180645307.html

Rumors heating up again what do you guys think?

Other teams' execs really love talking about the Lakers. Haha.
They should worry about their own teams.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
JPaulK0n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:55 pm    Post subject:

What made this Lakers team special was that they never had a weak or bad defender that opposing teams can attack repeatedly in the postseason. Teams couldn't play KCP, Green, Caruso, or Rondo off the floor due to how good they were on the defensive end. Rose is not a good defender and teams will attack him on that end come postseason time. Will pass on Rose, especially if the Lakers have to give up assets for 32 year old Rose.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:02 pm    Post subject:

A few rumors out there now and more to come...whatever
happens, I'd love to win another....
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Rose's 3 pt shooting came down to earth last year, but it's interesting that just 9 makes vs 9 misses can change the view on your shooting ability.

54-146

vs.

45-147

You go from a respectable 3 pt shooter at 37% to 30%.
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:15 pm    Post subject:

Only if Rondo doesn’t return, which I believe he will. Great 3rd volume scorer, but is too ball dominant to work alongside Bron I think, plus is a low volume spot up shooter and poor defender.

Schroder >>>>>>>>>>> Rose for what we need
#18 next...
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:22 pm    Post subject:

One of the announcers mentioned during the playoffs that Vogel wants Lebron off the ball for 15-20 minutes a game. Combine that with the 10-15 minutes Lebron spends on the bench and that's plenty of time for DRose to be the primary ball-handler.

If we don't have to send out much for him I'll all for it. Maybe #28 with Cook or McGee. We can take back up to 175% of outgoing salaries as a non-tax paying team. I wouldn't use our main salary filler (Green) or our best young tradable asset (Kuzma) for him.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:00 pm    Post subject:

I think Lakers will first go after CP3 if that doesn’t materialize then the Lakers will change there focus on Rose.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:05 pm    Post subject:

every time we win something here folks come

alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
One of the announcers mentioned during the playoffs that Vogel wants Lebron off the ball for 15-20 minutes a game. Combine that with the 10-15 minutes Lebron spends on the bench and that's plenty of time for DRose to be the primary ball-handler.

If we don't have to send out much for him I'll all for it. Maybe #28 with Cook or McGee. We can take back up to 175% of outgoing salaries as a non-tax paying team. I wouldn't use our main salary filler (Green) or our best young tradable asset (Kuzma) for him.

What does Rondo do, then?

Let's say LeBron plays primary ball-handler for 16 minutes a game (I suspect he'd get more than that). Rondo gets his 20 minutes a game, which leaves only 12 minutes that Rose can really be on the court

Difference between Rose and Schroder is that Dennis is actually effective off the ball
#18 next...
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject:

Cook, Kuz, and the 1st Rd. That’s it. If they want AC, they are kidding themselves. If we weren’t willing to deal AC before the playoffs, there’s no way in hell we’re dealing a champion AC after the playoffs.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:59 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Theseus wrote:

But that's the point. He'd retire a Laker next to LeBron.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:10 pm    Post subject:

If we do lose Rondo (again I think this is unlikely), Rose would be a real solid get, and he'd be more gettable than he was at the trade deadline. I believe he'd only cost us salary (McGee?) plus either Kuzma or 28. Not both. Let's assume the deal is McGee and 28 for Rose (I think that works salary-wise):

PG: LeBron - Rose
SG: Bradley - Caruso
SF: Green - KCP
PF: Davis - Kuzma - Morris
C: Cousins - Howard

I like the look of that
#18 next...

Last edited by alleyoop on Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:14 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't trade for DRose.

Sign him at the minimum if he gets bought out? Sure.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:32 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
MJST wrote:
Theseus wrote:

But that's the point. He'd retire a Laker next to LeBron.

The only way that'd happen is if you got rid of Danny Green, KCP Avery Bradley, Javale McGee and Quinn Cook.

The only kink in that plan is that KCP can opt out of his player option. And you'd also need Dwight and Rondo to return for the amount they were this season. That and AD we know now is opting out to re-sign or a bigger contract, even if it's a 1+1 LBJ in Miami deal.

KCP would have to opt in, only to be traded, and Dwight and Rondo would have to return, on the same contracts they signed when their careers/stock were done in the water, which they've revitalized now.

If all that happened. The Lakers roster would stand at

Chris Paul
No One
LeBron James
Anthony Davis
Dwight Howard

Bench:
Rajon Rondo
Alex Caruso
Horton-Tucker
Kyle Kuzma
No One

if that didn't happen and we lost both Rondo and Dwight, the roster would be at

Chris Paul
No One
LeBron James
Anthony Davis
No One

Bench:
Alex Caruso
Horton-Tucker
No One
Kyle Kuzma
No One

Your hope at this point is that you'd get Cousins to sign for the minimum, and Gallo to sign for the MLE.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject:

Ah, the offseason. That glorious time when random internet speculation generates whole threads in the Lounge. This doesn't even qualify as a rumor. No one is saying that the Lakers and Pistons are actually talking, or even thinking about talking. Instead, they talked last year, and the deal never grew any legs.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Ah, the offseason. That glorious time when random internet speculation generates whole threads in the Lounge. This doesn't even qualify as a rumor. No one is saying that the Lakers and Pistons are actually talking, or even thinking about talking. Instead, they talked last year, and the deal never grew any legs.

Oh, and how we argue about random speculation...it's fantastic;
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:24 pm    Post subject:

alleyoop wrote:
gng930 wrote:

Let's say LeBron plays primary ball-handler for 16 minutes a game (I suspect he'd get more than that). Rondo gets his 20 minutes a game, which leaves only 12 minutes that Rose can really be on the court

Difference between Rose and Schroder is that Dennis is actually effective off the ball

The difference is also that Schroder would cost more in a trade.

You're correct that Rondo and Rose are probably unplayable together. I think the idea is that we would be trying to save Rondo for the playoffs. His playmaking has otherwise been pretty uninspiring during the regular season the past 2 years.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

if that didn't happen and we lost both Rondo and Dwight, the roster would be at

Chris Paul
No One
LeBron James
Anthony Davis
No One

Bench:
Alex Caruso
Horton-Tucker
No One
Kyle Kuzma
No One

I'm okay with it. The whole season's roster was literally built on 2 elite BPM franchise players and everyone else to basically get as close to 0 BPM as possible.

What do you think the LAL roster looked like after the AD trade?

Pretty similar.

Seriously, look at the roster. No doubt both franchise players boosted that, but that's the point.

So, if they have to fill out the roster with vet min types, as long as there's 8 playoff players, that's all I'm going for.

The difference here is, CP3, LeBron, and AD all work together, can cut each other's minutes down (no more automatic negative minutes in the regular season with a "back up PG", and CP3 + AD while LBJ is on the bench is basically MORE unstoppable as a PnR duo AND defensively compared to what the Clippers have.

The spacing wasn't the greatest all season long with LAL playing 2 centers while AD was developing 3pt range. Most teams still allow AD to shoot the 3 anyway, and LAL's "shooters" didn't help the team much over 30% for the game. Just get defenders, and let the rest work itself out.

Not only does this prolong the careers of each player with minutes, but it's also complementary, elite 2 way talent, even if all 3 guys just play 16-20 minutes on the floor together, maximum.

But 100%, if LAL uses the MLE on a wing (like Harkless), and the closing lineup is CP3, Caruso, Harkless, LeBron, AD?

I would 1000% roll with that against any team for 2 more seasons. Brooklyn can't play defense. GSW rested Dray and Steph but Klay is coming off injury and they don't have KD anymore.

My only concern is Giannis going to DAL instead of LAL.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.

Last edited by Mike@LG on Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
alleyoop wrote:
gng930 wrote:

The difference is also that Schroder would cost more in a trade.

You're correct that Rondo and Rose are probably unplayable together. I think the idea is that we would be trying to save Rondo for the playoffs. His playmaking has otherwise been pretty uninspiring during the regular season the past 2 years.

I think we have enough to get Schroder, though. He'd cost 28 and Kuzma (+ salary), but for what he'd provide it would be worth it

I understand you'd try and save Rondo for the playoffs, but I think he garners too much respect around the organisation to not get some kind of consistent minutes during the season, though. That being said, he's been relatively injury prone the past two years, so we need to get a third guy that can playmake to use alongside Bron and Rondo, in case the latter breaks down during the regular season again. Schroder can be that guy
#18 next...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: