Kobe v. LBJ (Read mod warning on page 1 before posting)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55 ... 162, 163, 164  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:51 am    Post subject:

supershaft777 wrote:
I'm basically a Warriors fan, suffered long then we had some pleasure, didn't get the pleasure of 3peat like y'all but at least we trolled Michael Jordan by breaking the Bulls record, doesn't hurt.
I don't hate the Lakers like I used to, these days I would definitely root for you vs. the likes of Harden or Leonard. But I can't get used to Lebron as a Laker, it still just feels so weird. He'd have to win three titles with the Lakers to surpass Kobe, it's that simple.
Kobe stayed loyal to his team, he's less of a douchebag than Lebron, and he has more rings.
As it stands Kobe>Lebron and this is coming from someone who always rooted against Kobe.

That's just fans being fans and worried about Kobe's Laker legacy right there. Never heard Lebron say it or his mission to accomplish. I mean sure he wants to win as many rings as he can before he retires, but him surpassing Kobe as an all time Laker is probably the last thing in his mind. Lebron winning 1 ring as a Laker probably will add more to his overall legacy than anything less. Titles with 3 different teams.

As far as the second quoted remark, not sure we saw the same Kobe.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:08 am    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
supershaft777 wrote:
I'm basically a Warriors fan, suffered long then we had some pleasure, didn't get the pleasure of 3peat like y'all but at least we trolled Michael Jordan by breaking the Bulls record, doesn't hurt.
I don't hate the Lakers like I used to, these days I would definitely root for you vs. the likes of Harden or Leonard. But I can't get used to Lebron as a Laker, it still just feels so weird. He'd have to win three titles with the Lakers to surpass Kobe, it's that simple.
Kobe stayed loyal to his team, he's less of a douchebag than Lebron, and he has more rings.
As it stands Kobe>Lebron and this is coming from someone who always rooted against Kobe.

That's just fans being fans and worried about Kobe's Laker legacy right there. Never heard Lebron say it or his mission to accomplish. I mean sure he wants to win as many rings as he can before he retires, but him surpassing Kobe as an all time Laker is probably the last thing in his mind. Lebron winning 1 ring as a Laker probably will add more to his overall legacy than anything less. Titles with 3 different teams.

Yep. You definitely didn’t
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:13 am    Post subject:

LaLaLakeShow wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
supershaft777 wrote:

Keep fighting the good fight... Colorado incident alone is in another level of douchery.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:14 am    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
supershaft777 wrote:

Keep fighting the good fight... Colorado incident is not a douchebag move alone. That alone is in another level of douchery.

Smh
L4L
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:10 am    Post subject:

Who is “better at basketball” and who is the greatest are clearly two different things, but people seem to not be able to separate them entirely.

George Mikan is never on these lists. And for what reason? If we’re being honest, it is because most people never saw him and, even more poignantly, people don’t believe a 6’10” white guy would be that dominant in any other era. Bill Russell has how many rings as the man??? By my count, at least 8 and you could argue for more. He and Wilt both get penalized by a recency bias.

I’ll be honest: you’ll never convince me that the quality of the athletes in the 50s was remotely as high as the 60s and the athletes in the 60s, for the most part, couldn’t hold a candle to the athletes of the 80s and beyond. Jordan was a big, strong guard in the 90s. A 6’5”/6’6” SG is nothing special in today’s game. That’s arguably on the smaller side for a wing. A guy that size is often a defensive liability now.

You have to make a decision about eras at some point on these types of things. What are we really ranking? “Greatness” and skill set aren’t the same thing. Greatness and overall ability to contribute to winning aren’t the same thing, either.

If we are speaking strictly historically, this is pretty unarguable, IMO:

50s: Mikan
60s: Wilt or Russell
70s: Kareem
80s: Magic or Bird
90s: Jordan (Hakeem isn’t close, IMO)
00s: Bryant, Shaq, or Duncan
10s: LeBron

On most “rankings” lists, which tend to be greatness lists, because that’s far easier to quantify, you end up with LeBron, Jordan, and Kareem around the top because their dominance in their respective era is relatively unchallenged or irreproachable. Wilt/Russel and Magic/Bird tend to come next and the order tends to be dependent on who the individual thinks was the best player from their era. Then, for the most part, you get Shaq, Kobe, and Duncan distributed at the end of the Top 10 (Hakeem gets elevated into this echelon as well despite being the only Top 11 guy without a clear claim to being the best of his era).

The 00s ends up being the only era with three guys who have a legitimate claim to the best player of their era. They all cannibalized the rings and accolades in that era and, ironically, in my opinion, prevented any of the three from being universally considered a true GOAT candidate.

However, there’s another way to look at it: the 00s was simply the most competitive era in basketball history as far as the title of “best in the game is concerned”. And you’ll simply never convince me that prime Shaq or prime Kobe don’t annihilate many of the previous eras based on size, athleticism, and the advancing skill sets of their era.

You’ll also never convince me that Kobe wouldn’t have completely different stats in the money ball era. He’s a better raw athlete than Harden and he’s arguably the greatest one-on-one player of all-time. With a heavier emphasis on the three in his preparation throughout his career, he would have easily put up Hardenesque stats in a 5 out offense. I flat out think he’d put up better stats, personally.

So, if we are talking best basketball player, and not “greatness” list (I’m willing to concede LeBron has a better all-time resume ), I need more than stats. The “efficiency” numbers don’t mean a damn thing when they were amassed during completely different historical environments.

I need more than a bunch of stats to concede LeBron is the better basketball player. But let’s be real... the meat of the argument for LeBron against the other GOAT candidates come down to stats. Whatever. That’s just not enough for those of us who SAW Bird, Magic, Jordan, etc. The stats don’t tell the whole story. They just don’t.

Consensus in and of itself doesn’t mean much other. There was a time when most people were okay with slavery and where a man couldn’t legally rape his wife. The status quo and consensus aren’t always right.

It’s crazy how little actual basketball gets discussed when these topics come up. No one is talking about how each player dealt with zones, who could create better with a pick or who was better one on one, etc. The whole discussion is just stats. It’s just my personal bias but I just think it sucks we don’t talk more actual hoops when this stuff comes up.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:30 am    Post subject:

L4L wrote:
Who is “better at basketball” and who is the greatest are clearly two different things, but people seem to not be able to separate them entirely.

George Mikan is never on these lists. And for what reason? If we’re being honest, it is because most people never saw him and, even more poignantly, people don’t believe a 6’10” white guy would be that dominant in any other era. Bill Russell has how many rings as the man??? By my count, at least 8 and you could argue for more. He and Wilt both get penalized by a recency bias.

I’ll be honest: you’ll never convince me that the quality of the athletes in the 50s was remotely as high as the 60s and the athletes in the 60s, for the most part, couldn’t hold a candle to the athletes of the 80s and beyond. Jordan was a big, strong guard in the 90s. A 6’5”/6’6” SG is nothing special in today’s game. That’s arguably on the smaller side for a wing. A guy that size is often a defensive liability now.

You have to make a decision about eras at some point on these types of things. What are we really ranking? “Greatness” and skill set aren’t the same thing. Greatness and overall ability to contribute to winning aren’t the same thing, either.

On most “rankings” lists, which tend to be greatness lists, because that’s far easier to quantify, you end up with LeBron, Jordan, and Kareem around the top because their dominance in their respective era is relatively unchallenged or irreproachable. Wilt/Russel and Magic/Bird tend to come next and the order tends to be dependent on who the individual thinks was the best player from their era. Then, for the most part, you get Shaq, Kobe, and Duncan distributed at the end of the Top 10 (Hakeem gets elevated into this echelon as well despite being the only Top 11 guy without a clear claim to being the best of his era).

The 00s ends up being the only era with three guys who have a legitimate claim to the best player of their era. They all cannibalized the rings and accolades in that era and, ironically, in my opinion, prevented any of the three from being universally considered a true GOAT candidate.

However, there’s another way to look at it: the 00s was simply the most competitive era in basketball history as far as the title of “best in the game is concerned”. And you’ll simply never convince me that prime Shaq or prime Kobe don’t annihilate many of the previous eras based on size, athleticism, and the advancing skill sets of their era.

You’ll also never convince me that Kobe wouldn’t have completely different stats in the money ball era. He’s a better raw athlete than Harden and he’s arguably the greatest one-on-one player of all-time. With a heavier emphasis on the three in his preparation throughout his career, he would have easily put up Hardenesque stats in a 5 out offense. I flat out think he’d put up better stats, personally.

So, if we are talking best basketball player, and not “greatness” list (I’m willing to concede LeBron has a better all-time resume ), I need more than stats. The “efficiency” numbers don’t mean a damn thing when they were amassed during completely different historical environments.

I need more than a bunch of stats to concede LeBron is the better basketball player. But let’s be real... the meat of the argument for LeBron against the other GOAT candidates come down to stats. Whatever. That’s just not enough for those of us who SAW Bird, Magic, Jordan, etc. The stats don’t tell the whole story. They just don’t.

Consensus in and of itself doesn’t mean much other. There was a time when most people were okay with slavery and where a man couldn’t legally rape his wife. The status quo and consensus aren’t always right.

It’s crazy how little actual basketball gets discussed when these topics come up. No one is talking about how each player dealt with zones, who could create better with a pick or who was better one on one, etc. The whole discussion is just stats. It’s just my personal bias but I just think it sucks we don’t talk more actual hoops when this stuff comes up.

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:07 am    Post subject:

Because of the late Dr. Buss and the love of Lakers, Kobe opted not to chase the ring with other teams when he could do so as a free agent. Case in point is when he could have produced more rings with Clippers in 2004. As we all know, Lakers milked Kobe's peak seasons with no rings until he threatened to leave Lakers. That was when we got lucky to land on Gasol. The 2000s kobe is sure unforgettable.
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:44 am    Post subject:

L4L wrote:

Kobe, Shaq n Duncan/Parker combined produced about 10 rings in the 2000s. The era that witnessed so many kobe stoppers of many kinds, shapes and strengths. The era that witnessed taller, stronger and good defensive forwards would have to step up to stop Kobe. The era that witnessed prime Shaq, Duncan, Yao, Tmac, AI, Nash, Kidd, Divac, Dirk, Billups, Hamilton, Big Ben, Parker, Ginobli, Webber, AK47, Deron Williams, Stojakovic?, Bibby, Rasheed Wallace, Garnett, Pierce, Bosh, Ray Allen, Shawn Marion, Wade, Melo, kenyon Martin, etc...
The other era worth compared is the Magic n Bird era. When Jordan came to dominate, the Magic n Bird era was in the sunset. Not saying that Jordan era was easy. But Kobe, Shaq snd Duncan era is one of the best.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:48 am    Post subject:

L4L wrote:

That's a terrific and very thoughtful post.

Grew up on Jerry West as you might be able to tell by my screen name. Loved Elgin and Wilt as well. But (and perhaps for me it's a sort of hostage syndrome), Bill Russell is hands down the greatest of that era, and frankly when you see 11 out of 13, it's pretty hard to argue against Russell still being the GOAT.

Yes, it was a different time, and the game was different then. But he beat Oscar. He beat Baylor/West. And most of those years, he was beating the mighty Chamberlain at some point in the playoffs/finals. Time after time. Perhaps all of the aforementioned gents had more talent than Russell, but Russell's indomitable spirit and will to win took he and his teammates to victory 11 times in 13 years. Yes, it was a different era etc etc, but 11 out of 13. 'Nuff said imo.

Kareem was something to behold. Oh my goodness. True, he wasn't smiley and warm and fuzzy and he didn't interact much with the fans. But oh my goodness. The greatness and artistry was there, night in and night out. And when he wasn't dragging a half-baked "team" thru an entire season and actually had a couple of other real ballplayers around him, it was good luck to the opposition.

Magic has to be in the conversation as well. Probably the greatest court general in the history of the sport. Oscar was a more dominant scorer, but Magic had Kareem and didn't have to score the way Oscar did. No question Magic could have scored many more points than he did if that had been required. But he and Kareem, while very different people, each figured out how blessed they were to be with the other in the first 5 minutes. 5 titles in 10 years later (and a couple of near-misses) the rest was history.

The Bird Man is right up there too. Big boy, but not the best athlete. Didn't matter. Total efficiency, and understood the game backwards and forward. And loved to cut the heart out of the opposition. 3 titles and with a little more luck/good health, might have been a couple more. Larry Legend indeed.

Jordan was a master of the sport. And for all his talent, he also had a bit of Russell in him. He burned to win. And win he did. I think the media overplayed its hand with him, unnecessarily as his greatness spoke for itself. But the media was working the commerce angle. 6 rings in 8 years (and could have been 8 in 8 if he hadn't taken the sabbatical), including two Threepeats. Playing at a level that hadn't been seen quite that way before. What else was there to say?

Hakeem was a true great. Dominated both ends of the floor and his footwork was dazzling. Kareem's footwork was also pretty damn good, a part of his game that wasn't discussed enough imo. Would Hakeem have won two (one?) if MJ hadn't taken a break? We'll never know. But Hakeem is certainly one of the all-timers.

Shaq also a true great and champion, but his lack of intensity with his conditioning hurt him and his teams, and we'll never know the true cost of that in terms of possible titles left on the table. But when he was right, he was right, and he was the most physically imposing scorer of all time. Chamberlain and Kareem were both strong and imposing too, but not like Shaq. And Shaq's footwork was amazing as well. The footwork is so key for a big if he wants to dominate.

Kobe. I love Kobe. The first great who grew up on Mike. And the influence was easy to see. But Kobe also valued any and all knowledge about the sport. He went all the way back to the beginning and studied the league and watched all the footage he could find on all of the greats, and he learned something from all of them. And like most of those greats, he burned badly to win. Some of his teammates didn't relate to his intensity, and even the ones who might have, struggled to keep up with it. But Kobe was a winner and he didn't have time for ANY loss.

The media didn't care for Kobe because they had invested too much of themselves into the myth-making with MJ (which again, was unnecessary on their part). So they went consistently negative on Kobe. But it didn't matter because Kobe was a winner. And the media hated him all the more for it. But the media "crafted the narrative" on Kobe and it stuck with a lot of people. But Kobe's desire and craftsmanship won the day.

I've been lukewarm on LeBron for much of his career. I saw him crumble at times in the playoffs. Performances sometimes in huge games which seemed strangely uncomfortable and detatched. He won me over in 2016 when he led Cleveland back from being down 3-1 in the Finals against the 73-9 Warriors. It was like he finally realized "hey, I'm the baddest SOB out here, no one on this floor can stop me", and he basically took it to and straight thru the supposedly invincible Warriors. Kyrie Irving stepped up big time too. No one wins alone in the NBA. But LeBron was magnificent in that series.

I was happy when the Lakers got LeBron because we all knew that the Lakers needed a marquee player to get them back to relevance. But last season worried me. LeBron and the team played well until he got hurt on Xmas night up in Oakland. He was out for a while and the team understandably struggled. But when he returned, once again there were strange games where he didn't seem fully engaged. Of course the organization and coaching staff was a mess and undoubtedly some of that was factoring in. But I didn't like the way the season unraveled even after LeBron got back onto the floor.

But THIS season...well, of course it's still early and we have to stay healthy. But so far THIS season, LeBron is playing at a masterful level. The brilliance of his game is on full display, but even more than that it's his EFFICIENCY that is sublime. There's no wasted motion. The decision-making is spot on. He's truly LEADING this team. He's completely locked in. No doubt the additions of AD (also playing brilliantly) and the solid role players and vets that were added to the team has LeBron stoked. The coaching staff seems to be doing a great job. If this team can stay healthy, they have a real shot. And you can tell that they all know it.

LeBron is controlling and dominating the games. The range and fluidity on his long jumpers is uncanny. He's so locked in right now, it almost doesn't matter how far away he is when he shoots, you BELIEVE it's going in. And of course when he takes it into the paint, it's all over one way or the other. LeBron scores, or one of his teammates scores on a perfect dish. He's got the team running and having fun like we haven't seen since...well, it's too early to say that, but so far so good.

I have to admit I wouldn't have envisioned 11-2 after 13 games, and of course there's still a long way to go. But there's an excitement about this team.

If LeBron brings this org all the way back from the deadness of the past several seasons, it might well be the crowning achievement of his career. Here's hoping. And at least it's fun to look forward to watching the Lakers again after a long and dismal period. I'm grateful to LeBron and his teammates for that.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:55 am    Post subject:

^^^^^
There may not be a topic that people disagree about more than which decade of NBA play was the best, the most fun, the most competitive etc.

In a lot of lists, I see the 2000s ranked fourth behind the 80s, the 90s, and the 2010s.

About the only thing people agree is the 60s and 70s are the worse.

The opinions on this are highly colored by what style of basketball the ranker enjoys and when they started watching the NBA and if they were a fan of a player from a particular era.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:58 am    Post subject:

Some really good points, L4L. But I do disagree with 6'6" SGs like MJ and Kobe being on the smaller side these days. Alot of SGs that size or smaller have thrived this decade, and they don't have nearly the skill level MJ and Kobe had.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:45 am    Post subject:

Metro2Staples wrote:
A garbage player for at least 25% of his career. He made tanking a thing. He led the Lakers to 17-65, worst season in franchise history. And he was the worst shooter in the entire NBA.

Oh, good heavens.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Metro2Staples wrote:
A garbage player for at least 25% of his career. He made tanking a thing. He led the Lakers to 17-65, worst season in franchise history. And he was the worst shooter in the entire NBA.

Oh, good heavens.

oh my
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject:

L4L wrote:
George Mikan is never on these lists. And for what reason? If we’re being honest, it is because most people never saw him and, even more poignantly, people don’t believe a 6’10” white guy would be that dominant in any other era.

There's a lot of reasons Mikan is left off the list:

1. His career was very short -- only six full seasons.

2. In his era, a lot of stats weren't kept. MVP awards, finals MVP, DPoY didn't exist, so he lacks a lot of these things players are measured by.

3. He could have only had success in the 1950s. That is not because of his height or race, but because of his slowness, lack of athleticism, and lack of basketball skills. His game depended on the absence of a shot clock, no goal tending, and small lane in the first part of his career. His game was to lumber slowly down the court, stand under the basket, and knock people away with his elbow. When the league widened the lane, his scoring average and FG% plummeted. When he tried coming back for one year after the shot clock was introduced, it was embarrassing to watch.

I respect Mikan's place in NBA history, but his success was due a lot to being a huge player at a time when the rules were ideally suited to a huge, slow, unathletic player who could walk down the court and stand under the basket. He'd wait until his teammates got him the ball (which could take minutes -- no shot clock) for a short hook shot, which was basically his only shot. On defense, he'd stand under the rim, push people aside, and goal tend relentlessly by modern rules.

Mikan couldn't have dominated any era of the NBA except the early 50s. Even by the end of the decade, the game had passed him by.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject:

L4L wrote:
Jordan was a big, strong guard in the 90s. A 6’5”/6’6” SG is nothing special in today’s game. That’s arguably on the smaller side for a wing. A guy that size is often a defensive liability now.

That part negated what was otherwise a solid post.

All Defensive Team shooting guards the past 6 seasons:

2018-19 - Marcus Smart (6'3")
2017-18 - Victor Oladipo (6'4")
2016-17 - Tony Allen (6'4")
2016-17 - Danny Green (6'6")
2015-16 - Avery Bradley (6'2")
2015-16 - Tony Allen (6'4")
2014-15 - Tony Allen (6'4')
2013-14 - Andre Igoudala (6'6")

As for starting shooting guards, who in the NBA has guys bigger than Jordan (listed heights, not 'well this guy is really 6'8" but they list him as 6'6"')?

Klay is 6'7"
Harden is 6'5"
Mitchell is 6'3"
LaVine is 6'5"
Booker is 6'6"
Doncic is 6'7"
McCollum is 6'3"
DLO is 6'5"
Hield is 6'4"
Beal is 6'5"

Out of those guys, who would give Jordan a problem on D or destroy him offensively?

MJ might have an issue in today's "pace and space" game since he was neither a great nor a volume 3-point shooter, but MJ (and Kobe) would be "something special" today.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Metro2Staples wrote:

Oh, good heavens.

oh my

Talk about an anti-Kobe agenda.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
L4L wrote:
Jordan was a big, strong guard in the 90s. A 6’5”/6’6” SG is nothing special in today’s game. That’s arguably on the smaller side for a wing. A guy that size is often a defensive liability now.

That part negated what was otherwise a solid post.

All Defensive Team shooting guards the past 6 seasons:

2018-19 - Marcus Smart (6'3")
2017-18 - Victor Oladipo (6'4")
2016-17 - Tony Allen (6'4")
2016-17 - Danny Green (6'6")
2015-16 - Avery Bradley (6'2")
2015-16 - Tony Allen (6'4")
2014-15 - Tony Allen (6'4')
2013-14 - Andre Igoudala (6'6")

As for starting shooting guards, who in the NBA has guys bigger than Jordan (listed heights, not 'well this guy is really 6'8" but they list him as 6'6"')?

Klay is 6'7"
Harden is 6'5"
Mitchell is 6'3"
LaVine is 6'5"
Booker is 6'6"
Doncic is 6'7"
McCollum is 6'3"
DLO is 6'5"
Hield is 6'4"
Beal is 6'5"

Out of those guys, who would give Jordan a problem on D or destroy him offensively?

MJ might have an issue in today's "pace and space" game since he was neither a great nor a volume 3-point shooter, but MJ (and Kobe) would be "something special" today.

Players heights haven't really improved that dramatically over the past 30 years. Here is the height of the average NBA shooting guard:

1980 -- 6 foot 4.5 inches
1985 -- 6 foot 4.6
1990 -- 6 foot 5
1995 -- 6 foot 5.2
2000 -- 6 foot 4.9
2005 -- 6 foot 5.1
2010 -- 6 foot 5.3
2015 -- 6 foot 5

Overall, players height rose fairly substantially from 1955 to about the 1983 and then pretty much leveled out. The difference has been more prominent in their weight, which didn't level out until 2000.

MJ was probably a little taller and muscular than his contemporaries. Sometimes people seem to think this is an unfair advantage that should detract from a player's rating, which I've never understood. We are talking about a physical athletic endeavor.

https://www.thehoopsgeek.com/average-nba-height/
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
supershaft777 wrote:

Loyalty is a rarity these days. Kobe is definitely an anomaly. Hopefully Curry is of that mold also. As for Lebron, he's a gun for hire, he's not a career Laker like Kobe. It will be great for his own legacy to win a chip here but it won't match what Kobe and Magic did, it can't: At this stage of his career i would think 1 ring with the lakers will be it for him.

The concept of loyalty in sports is pretty silly.

Teams aren't really "loyal" to players. They trade them all the without a concern of what they want. Teams will make it clear they want to sign stars on other teams. Sure, teams will treat a star very nicely, but that's because it's in their self-interest to do so.

When a team and a player stay together for a long time, it's not about loyalty but mutual self-interest.

You think that the Lakers weren’t loyal to Kobe? You would be wrong.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:02 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Metro2Staples wrote:

Oh, good heavens.

The Metro2Staples and Kushes are just a sad waste of time. Their only goal is to trash talk about Kobe to get a reaction. They want that 30 second social media rush that comes from ticking people off by saying something outrageous and stupid.

They are the equivalent of someone who scarves down a dozen donuts just for the sugar rush -- empty calorie posters.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Oh, good heavens.

The Metro2Staples and Kushes are just a sad waste of time. Their only goal is to trash talk about Kobe to get a reaction. They want that 30 second social media rush that comes from ticking people off by saying something outrageous and stupid.

They are the equivalent of someone who scarves down a dozen donuts just for the sugar rush -- empty calorie posters.

Agreed.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
L4L wrote:
George Mikan is never on these lists. And for what reason? If we’re being honest, it is because most people never saw him and, even more poignantly, people don’t believe a 6’10” white guy would be that dominant in any other era.

2. In his era, a lot of stats weren't kept. MVP awards, finals MVP, DPoY didn't exist, so he lacks a lot of these things players are measured by.

3. He could have only had success in the 1950s. That is not because of his height or race, but because of his slowness, lack of athleticism, and lack of basketball skills. His game depended on the absence of a shot clock, no goal tending, and small lane in the first part of his career. His game was to lumber slowly down the court, stand under the basket, and knock people away with his elbow. When the league widened the lane, his scoring average and FG% plummeted. When he tried coming back for one year after the shot clock was introduced, it was embarrassing to watch.

I respect Mikan's place in NBA history, but his success was due a lot to being a huge player at a time when the rules were ideally suited to a huge, slow, unathletic player who could walk down the court and stand under the basket. He'd wait until his teammates got him the ball (which could take minutes -- no shot clock) for a short hook shot, which was basically his only shot. On defense, he'd stand under the rim, push people aside, and goal tend relentlessly by modern rules.

Mikan couldn't have dominated any era of the NBA except the early 50s. Even by the end of the decade, the game had passed him by.

Mikan is analogous to Old Hoss Radbourn in baseball. Radbourn had incredible stats over the course of a short career just as baseball was really starting to get organized as a sport. Like Mikan, he is in the Hall of Fame, and students of baseball marvel at the things he did (a 60-12 record with a 1.38 ERA in 1884). But no one really thinks that Radbourn was one of the greatest pitchers ever.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
activeverb wrote:
L4L wrote:

Mikan is analogous to Old Hoss Radbourn in baseball. Radbourn had incredible stats over the course of a short career just as baseball was really starting to get organized as a sport. Like Mikan, he is in the Hall of Fame, and students of baseball marvel at the things he did (a 60-12 record with a 1.38 ERA in 1884). But no one really thinks that Radbourn was one of the greatest pitchers ever.

Bill James has written about this well. In the early days of a sports league, the spectrum of talent is wide so you get outlandish stats and dominance. Wilt in the early 60s was another case. Over time, the overall talent improves, so the otherworldly stats tend to diminish.

I just looked it up and Bill James ranked Radbourn the 45th best pitcher of all time. No one really knows what to do with Mikan, I usually see him ranked 30-50 on all time lists, but his placement seems random.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:

Bill James has written about this well. In the early days of a sports league, the spectrum of talent is wide so you get outlandish stats and dominance. Wilt in the early 60s was another case. Over time, the overall talent improves, so the otherworldly stats tend to diminish.

I just looked it up and Bill James ranked Radbourn the 45th best pitcher of all time. No one really knows what to do with Mikan, I usually see him ranked 30-50 on all time lists, but his placement seems random.

This exactly what happened in the early years of UFC/MMA as well. Very dominant champions and tons of devastating KOs. Now, there's so much more parity, there are a lot of boring decision wins.
AirTupac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject:

Metro2Staples wrote:
Bryant is ranked #14 by ESPN
Bleacher Report has him #11
Fox Sports #12

Ranks something like 200 in efficiency.

Funny to see Bryantfans trolling on Lakers forums. They are no longer permitted to post their Bryant garbage in the LAbron thread.

I feel so lucky that I get to watch LAbron in my hometown of L.A. That #23 jersey is headed for the rafters, guaranteed.

george w kush wrote:
I'll just enjoy Lebron being a #3(and likely #2 when it's all said and done) all time and Kobe being #11. There really is no debate when everyone outside of a couple of posters here believe a guy who is still active, still playing at an MVP level in his mid-30s has already surpassed a guy that is retired.

Lol imagine signing up on a Lakers board to troll Laker fans like this. That speaks more about your life brother
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
activeverb wrote:

This exactly what happened in the early years of UFC/MMA as well. Very dominant champions and tons of devastating KOs. Now, there's so much more parity, there are a lot of boring decision wins.

That's one of the challenges of comparing across eras. For the NBA, the 50s and 60s were much different than the 70s on. Once a league gets established, things tend to stabllize so you don't have the apples to oranges stuff where you know Russell's rings and Wilt's 50 ppg. season can't be compared equivalently to later players.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55 ... 162, 163, 164  Next
Page 54 of 164
Jump to: